The Best Level 1's in Video Games.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
How about best first time playing a game?

This really brings me back to the arcade days, and seeing MK2 in the chalet on a skiing trip. I was probably playing more than skiing that day.

Also Killer Instinct, but it was at my local arcade. The only thing that deterred my mind from it was the fact I was a freshman and had just danced later that same night with a senior that was eventually also the homecoming queen. Yes an actual arms-around-the-waist slow dance. Cloud nine, I was on.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'll give a personal shout out to Oneechanbara Z2: Chaos. A lot of these games in the series don't have great level design or are just average, but I do love the opening. It immediately starts with a boss fight that happened during the end credits of the last game. Chaos immediately picks up after Kagura.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
How about best first time playing a game?

This really brings me back to the arcade days, and seeing MK2 in the chalet on a skiing trip. I was probably playing more than skiing that day.

Also Killer Instinct, but it was at my local arcade. The only thing that deterred my mind from it was the fact I was a freshman and had just danced later that same night with a senior that was eventually also the homecoming queen. Yes an actual arms-around-the-waist slow dance. Cloud nine, I was on.
One of the most memorable for me... wasn't even a particularly good game. A friend bought Resident Evil 3. I was staying at his place for a couple of days. I watched him play it for a little while the night he bought it. Then he went to bed (he had work the next day, I didn't) and I started my own game. I marathoned it. Start to finish, only a couple of breaks to whiz or get something to drink. I was more than an hour in when I realized I hadn't died or reloaded. So I just kept going. Straight through, no deaths or reloads, from start to finish in one session.

But the best first time... probably Dragon Warrior for the NES. That was back in the day when a game's $60 price tag was actually a lot of money, over $100 dollars today. As a kid doing farm work I only earned enough to maybe buy a game a year, or get 1 on Christmas and/or my birthday. So getting Dragon Warrior for "free" with my Nintendo Power subscription... well it was a big deal to me back then. I was already cynical enough to doubt how good a game given away would be... and I specifically remember playing it that first time and being blown away by how much fun I was having after my expectations had been so low.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
One of the most memorable for me... wasn't even a particularly good game. A friend bought Resident Evil 3. I was staying at his place for a couple of days. I watched him play it for a little while the night he bought it. Then he went to bed (he had work the next day, I didn't) and I started my own game. I marathoned it. Start to finish, only a couple of breaks to whiz or get something to drink. I was more than an hour in when I realized I hadn't died or reloaded. So I just kept going. Straight through,
Were you playing on easy or hard mode?. I'm assume you were playing the PS1 version (or its various ports). If you're playing on hard mode, it just means that your good or skilled enough. You probably were used to Resident Evils controls by that point.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Were you playing on easy or hard mode?. I'm assume you were playing the PS1 version (or its various ports). If you're playing on hard mode, it just means that your good or skilled enough. You probably were used to Resident Evils controls by that point.
Whatever it defaults to, I don't change difficulty settings in an initial playthrough. Yes it was PS 1. I was fairly familiar with the control style, having already been through RE 2 as well as starting well before that all the way back with Alone In The Dark 1 and 2 on pc years before. But saying I marathoned it... does not indicate any kind of speed run. I'm always extremely careful and meticulous in games. Moving ahead very slowly and always having some kind of fall back plan. It probably took me around 12 to 15 hours or so, I wasn't timing it. It isn't that unusual for me to go through an initial run of a game without dying or getting a game over, hell if it weren't for one of the QTEs (stupid knife fight) I would have done so in RE4 as well. But RE3 was the only time I did it in a single session. If that is a mark of "skill" I'll take it, but it is also why people generally hate playing with me in multiplayer in a game I'm not familiar with. They are all way ahead of me in thrilling and dangerous adventure action mode while I'm hiding and sniping from the door or 3 or 4 rooms back searching every random nook for hidden items or doors. Some people might say skill, and thanks, but I'd have to agree with the harsher "slow" rather than skill. Maybe its because I grew up in the arcade era, but I hate game overs. These days it doesn't mean it costs me another quarter to play again, but I never really lost that mentality.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Whatever it defaults to, I don't change difficulty settings in an initial playthrough.
That's the thing, you get to choose when starting a new game. I gonna assume it was Hard Mode.

Yes it was PS 1. I was fairly familiar with the control style, having already been through RE 2 as well as starting well before that all the way back with Alone In The Dark 1 and 2 on pc years before. But saying I marathoned it... does not indicate any kind of speed run. I'm always extremely careful and meticulous in games. Moving ahead very slowly and always having some kind of fall back plan. It probably took me around 12 to 15 hours or so, I wasn't timing it. It isn't that unusual for me to go through an initial run of a game without dying or getting a game over, hell if it weren't for one of the QTEs (stupid knife fight) I would have done so in RE4 as well. But RE3 was the only time I did it in a single session.
Still impressive. I was 10 when RE3 came out so, I know I died a lot on my first run.

Maybe its because I grew up in the arcade era, but I hate game overs. These days it doesn't mean it costs me another quarter to play again, but I never really lost that mentality.
I grew up during arcade era too, but most game overs don't bother me that much. Though it does depend on what I am playing. I still go for no death or no damage runs for games I really enjoy.

Reactions: Kyrian007

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
That's the thing, you get to choose when starting a new game. I gonna assume it was Hard Mode.
That's not something I remember about the game, that it only had hard and easy. I would have chosen whichever option was already highlighted when the option came up. If that was easy... well, no wonder I never died. I must not have been paying much attention to the menu screens, I'm a "normal mode" to start off with kind of guy and would probably remember if a game didn't have any kind of "normal" option.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's not something I remember about the game, that it only had hard and easy. I would have chosen whichever option was already highlighted when the option came up. If that was easy... well, no wonder I never died. I must not have been paying much attention to the menu screens, I'm a "normal mode" to start off with kind of guy and would probably remember if a game didn't have any kind of "normal" option.
If you picked easy mode, then Jill automatically starts with a machine gun. If you pick hard mode, she starts off with her standard pistol.