The Best Level 1's in Video Games.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'm fucking bored and all my shit is packed so I can't play a damn thing. But that wont stop me from talking about games. So after thinking about it for a while, I came up with some of my favorite introductory levels in video game history and why I think they are stunning. This list is mine, you can agree or not, post up your own list and why you think it's so great and let's see what types of levels really hit with people.

The following are what I think are some of the best first level's in video games in no particular order except number 1.

1. Final Fantasy 7 Bombing Mako Reactor 1: This first level puills out all the stops when it comes to JRPG intros. Never before and never since have I played a JRPG opening that hit the ground running. You have to break into this secure installation and plant a bomb. You are a mercenary who's name you don't know and the battle screen only described him as Ex-Solder. The dialog is rushed as the characters are frantic to get this done and get out without being caught. As a result the player is given this drive to rush, not to ask questions like "who are we?" "Why are we doing this?" all we know is this reactor is bad and we gotta blow it to hell. Topped off with a decent intro boss fight and a great soundtrack, FF7 starts the player in the action rather than building to it slowly the way most other JRPG's do. This mission sets up the rest of the game exceptionally well and gives the player a great sense of what's to come only to have the true story of the game hit the player later and subvert expectations.

Top this off with the Remake that totally modernizes the level while keeping the entire feel and rush of the original game. And the boss fight is much much much better. FF7 has the best first level in any game I've ever played.

2. Super Mario Bros 1-1: Hard to top a classic. The original Mario Bros level 1-1 is a straightforward yet perfectly brillant example of a great side-scrolling platformer. The enemies are beautiful placed, the gaps are intimidating but not overly challenging, and all the mechanics of what the rest of the game will have to offer are on display. Power ups, secrets, the whole lot. Level 1-1 is perfect in its simplicity that not many games can touch even today.

3. Skyrim - Oh you're finally awake, let me tell you about a great intro to one of the most annoyingly re-released games ever made. The Elder Scrolls games love starting the player off in prison, or otherwise captured in some way and Skyrim is no different. You wake in a carage being lead through a town for your execution. It's never said what you did, if anything at all, but you are together with another pretty major character in the game's world both bound for the same fate. Of course this being the beginning of the game, this isn't going to go to plan. After making your character, you watch someone get executed, then it's your turn. However a big fucking dragon interupts the event and everyone scatters in a panic. Here you are given a choice to go with the guards or the stormcloaks, giving you choices and building the foundations of the reputation your character can build form the very first moments of gameplay. You rush through the town, avoiding the dragon, eventually making your way through a cave that spills you into an open-world with some of the best freedom to explore that any open-world game has ever provided. For all the memes that it generated, the intro to Skyrim is actually pretty damn great.

4. Metal Gear Solid 2 - This is probably the biggest WTF in gaming history. Coming off the incredible Metal Gear Solid on Playstation 1, Kojima comes back and brings you another epic mission with Snake. Terrorist have taken a cargo ship that is holding a secret weapon, a brand new Metal Gear Prototype. It's up to Snake to infiltrate the ship, and find out who's behind the terrorist group and stop them from taking the Metal Gear warmachine. Except it turns out that you can do this all in about an hour, less if you skip dialog. What the fuck man, short game. Wait? Who the fuck is the blonde pussy Raiden? What's going on? Metal Gear Solid 2's intro is a great experience, it teaches the player everything they need to play the rest of the game, it showcases the new power of the PS2 and the new details capable in a game like this. And it builds off the back of Metal Gear Solid only to sweep that out from under you and give you a brand new character to play the rest of the game as. Upsetting as it might be, it worked and it's great.

5. God of War - God of War doesn't give the player a moment to breathe. You're Kratos, you're on a fucking boat, there are monsters, rip them apart. Dumping the player into the brutal combat of God of War right off the gate and throwing them against a giant sea monster right off the bat was a brillant move. Kratos starts with a huge array of combos and combat capability that only gets bigger throughout the game. This was one of the first games I ever got from Gamefly and ten minutes into the game I went online and bought it off them because i was hooked immediately. God of War never once disappointed me throughout it's entire run time. Never has a game made you feel like a badass so quickly and clearly as God of War.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Angel Island Zone Act 1. Knuckles punches Super Sonic and steals all of the Chaos Emeralds to start! Coming just straight off the ending of the second game.

Streets of Rage 1, 2, & 4 - Fighting in the Street, Go Straight, and They're Back. Nothing further.

God of War III - I hate the story and all of the characters, but what an opening. Fighting on Gaia's body parts and facing Poseidon as the end of the first level. Epic opening!

Metal Gear Rising - RULES OF NATURE!

Devil May Cry 3 - Dante's shop!

Bayonetta 2 - Everything is all on full cylinders! The opening is more epic than the ending of the first Avengers movie.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Angel Island Zone Act 1. Knuckles punches Super Sonic and steals all of the Chaos Emeralds to start! Coming just straight off the ending of the second game.
Couldn't you say this about most Sonic games? I mean the first level is almost always the strongest and tend to be some of the best, even the 3d sonic games.

Cod 4. Later cod games had issues with funneling you too hard through a mission, but that first level on the ship... It was heavily scripted but it was so cool and didn't feel heavily scripted.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Couldn't you say this about most Sonic games? I mean the first level is almost always the strongest and tend to be some of the best, even the 3d sonic games.
Sonic 3 is a unique case, because the level starts with Knuckles punching the Chaos Emeralds out Super Sonic! That alone sets the entire mood for this game. Seeing that the age of 4 had my jaw drop! Plus, the awesome set pieces that came afterward. Sonic 3 & Knuckles was when Sonic Team were at maximum effort for the 2D games.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Sonic 3 is a unique case, because the level starts with Knuckles punching the Chaos Emeralds out Super Sonic! That alone sets the entire mood for this game. Seeing that the age of 4 had my jaw drop! Plus, the awesome set pieces that came afterward. Sonic 3 & Knuckles was when Sonic Team were at maximum effort for the 2D games.
Hmm, point taken.

Reactions: BrawlMan

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
It's not really a level 1, but the Halo demo had you go through Silent Cartographer and that to me was some amazing shit at the time. Though I like the Pillar of Autumn, even if it's a bit silly that I can't just go punch a grunt with my super strength and need to get an unloaded pistol first.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Since God of War (all of them really) was already mentioned, I also like Killzone 2’s opening. The intensity of landing into that first warzone made me forget all about the target render, and so did the rest of the game.

RDR2’s opening, being stranded in a snowstorm set the tone of the game perfectly. It let the player know whether they’d have the patience for the rest of the game or not.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Yeah the intro to FF7 was pretty good. Skyrim, not so much. Mario Bros. 1? Come on, it's seriously better than every Mario game released afterwards? It was fine, but not particularly a stand out, and the level itself was held back by the mechanics of the game.

I'm gonna say Spartan: Total Warrior. Not because it's overall the best of gaming, but because I rented that game twice as a kid and just played the first level over and over and nothing past it. It blew my mind because you kill like 300 dudes in one level. I'm sure it doesn't hold up at all these days, but it was super impressive at the time.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Hhm... Megaman Legends has a pretty good first level. If you consider the tutorial dungeon the first level then it has a lot going for setting the stage with what the game is about and has that fun (If maybe cheesy) ending cutscene at the top of the tower as you fly away from the Reaverbot that was about to get you. On the other hand, if you consider everything up until you beat Teisel to be a first level before the game really gets going then you get a daring escape from a tower ruin in the middle of the ocean, a crash landing on an island, an attack by pirates, fighting off the giant robots of Tron, Bonne, and Teisel in succession. It really sets the mood for a real adventure.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Silent Hill 1. You wake up, your daughter is missing, there's fog everywhere, you think you see her running away in the fog and go after her. Despite the tension, nothing happens. You continue down the street of the town and follow her into and alleyway, it gets darker and darker till you need to use your lighter to light your way. Still, nothing happens. You continue down the alley, seeing creep things and hearing creepy sounds until you come upon what looks like a filleted corpse set up as an offering by being strapped to a chainlink fence and only now does something happen, not a jump scare, but just tiny little creatures appearing, making weird sounds and swarming you until they kill you. And then you wake up in a diner and the game begins.

What a fantastic first "level"

K

ko11b

You can get level 1 I think it's called like penal colony resident evil revelations for free download

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Bioshock and BioShock Infinite.

Both games have wonderful opening. Bioshock with the descent to Rapture, Infinite with the ascent to Columbia and the opening hour or two of each wonderfully sets the stage and introduces the setting. And unfortunately, each game eventually loses that luster as the game goes on. Rapture starts out with flooding areas and breaking tunnels. Rapture has the floating islands, the chapel and the carnival.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Both games have wonderful opening. Bioshock with the descent to Rapture, Infinite with the ascent to Columbia and the opening hour or two of each wonderfully sets the stage and introduces the setting. And unfortunately, each game eventually loses that luster as the game goes on. Rapture starts out with flooding areas and breaking tunnels. Rapture has the floating islands, the chapel and the carnival.
Columbia on the latter though, correct? I've only played the first two games, but do have Infinite waiting in my library for a rainy day.

Reactions: Dalisclock

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK

I tried to show my girlfriend the intro to this game, and it didn't really work out too well.

Shot into the sky. Beautiful scenery. Intriguing offshoot of American culture. A carnival to explore. A few songs out of time. A couple of weird interactions with the Luttece's. What is going on here?

Then the game remembers that it has to be an FPS, and suddenly everything is racist, you're the devil, and now you must gun down 100's of police officers and soldiers with your fireball hands.

The most jarring 0-to-100 that I have ever seen in a game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I tried to show my girlfriend the intro to this game, and it didn't really work out too well.

Shot into the sky. Beautiful scenery. Intriguing offshoot of American culture. A carnival to explore. A few songs out of time. A couple of weird interactions with the Luttece's. What is going on here?

Then the game remembers that it has to be an FPS, and suddenly everything is racist, you're the devil, and now you must gun down 100's of police officers and soldiers with your fireball hands.

The most jarring 0-to-100 that I have ever seen in a game.
2013: Where nearly every shooter has to be Call of Duty like, and assumes the player has the shortest attention span ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock