The FOOD (& Drink) Thread

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
We've got one similar, but a bit older... 20 YEARS older. My gf got it in the early 2000s from an Asian market, and has sworn by it since. For as easy a process as it is, it's actually pretty versatile. We've found using chicken, beef or vegetable stock instead of water and a few seasonings makes plain jasmine rice into a quick, easy side. We've also done boxed rice with flavored ingredients like dirty rice or jambalaya; just ignore the instructions on the box, toss in the rice and flavor packet, eyeball the water level, and boom. This is probably the most used appliance in our house; how it hasn't shit the bed yet is beyond me, but when it does, there will probably be tears, and I'm not kidding; this thing is like a family pet to her.
Turmeric, cumin seeds, cardamom seeds, makes an excellent DIY pilau rice.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Made my aunt's pasta salad (sans green olives.) Was a huge hit in the house and with a few friends. Unfortunately, I made too much, and in an attempt to prove my gf wrong that I never eat what we cook (I do, but my appetite waxes and wans at weird times) or that I waste food kept in the house, I tried to eat a lot of it. Made me sick. Heartburn like no other. Ended up giving away most of it which had the added "bonus" of my gf finger-pointing at me because I always complain she cooks too much food, then gives most of it away. I ate my crow, and let her have her little victory.

Funny thing is, she's the one who doesn't eat. She probably weighs 110 lbs. soaking wet, and as much as she loves to cook in large quantities, she's usually the last to eat it if she does at all. But I pick my battles. Went shopping for her famous gumbo recipe this afternoon; we're cooking it tomorrow. It's going to go something like this:

1. We'll lay out all the ingredients.
2. I'll opt to brown the sausage (about the only thing she trusts me to do without hovering.)
3. I'll finish the sausage and offer to chop veggies, and she'll complain that I'm doing it wrong.
4. We'll argue as to my competence with a knife.
5. She'll complain that I'm in the way.
6. I'll back off and she'll complain that I'm not helping; I'll return to help.
7. The finished, simmering product will be about 3 gallons of gumbo; she'll spoon off 2 gallons to give away.
8. Her family will eat 3/4 of the remaining gallon.
9. I'll get a 4-tbsp sample.
10. She'll eat nothing.

Welcome to a culinary weekend in the Xprimentyl household.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I have just been to a Wendy's for the first time. Like McDonalds except you get more food. I am not sure if this is a good or a bad thing.
View attachment 6509
With fast food, more is always a bad thing.

Fun fact, I actually met the founder's daughter (purportedly the inspiration for "Wendy") in elementary school. I lived in Columbus, Ohio where the first Wendy's was established and, along with a partner, was tasked with doing a report on it. In doing our research, I reached out to the franchise, and they put me in contact with her. She came to our school, talked to us, brought us a ton of information and some Wendy's swag. Even our teacher was impressed that we managed to make that happen. All the other kids were jealous because they got boring, historical buildings around downtown Columbus while we got a fast food restaurant and got to meet "Wendy" herself. It was cool.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
With fast food, more is always a bad thing.

Fun fact, I actually met the founder's daughter (purportedly the inspiration for "Wendy") in elementary school. I lived in Columbus, Ohio where the first Wendy's was established and, along with a partner, was tasked with doing a report on it. In doing our research, I reached out to the franchise, and they put me in contact with her. She came to our school, talked to us, brought us a ton of information and some Wendy's swag. Even our teacher was impressed that we managed to make that happen. All the other kids were jealous because they got boring, historical buildings around downtown Columbus while we got a fast food restaurant and got to meet "Wendy" herself. It was cool.
Yes, I do not like McDonalds, except the milkshakes. The food always seemed to be tiny and shit.
Wendy's does seem to be a decent amount, but then would I rather eat a small bucket of shit or a large one?

Does she have the red pigtails? Being in Camden this particular branch was alternative chick Wendy

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yes, I do not like McDonalds, except the milkshakes. The food always seemed to be tiny and shit.
Wendy's does seem to be a decent amount, but then would I rather eat a small bucket of shit or a large one?

Does she have the red pigtails? Being in Camden this particular branch was alternative chick Wendy
No, if I recall correctly, she wasn't even red-headed at the time let alone did she have pigtails. Her name is Melinda; "Wendy" is a nickname; not sure where the iconic "Wendy" imagery came from, though Wikipedia says it's based on her, so maybe at one point she was red-headed with pigtails?

I'm not a huge fast food person, though I am a sucker for French fries, so find myself in a fast food line more often than I'd like for that craving. I've not had a fast food burger in, I dunno, a couple of years? My girlfriend forced me to try a bite of my first Big Mac a few months ago (no thanks) and I don't think I've EVER had a Wendy's burger period. I dislike ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise, so in lieu of trying to spell out my custom order like I'm speaking to a five-year-old just for the kids in the back to get it inexorably wrong, I typically opt for chicken nuggets or tenders.

About the only fast food burger I'll buy is from Whataburger, and those are few and far between because they are so big and dense, the food coma it puts you in can ruin your plans for the day. Oh, and White Castles are a guilty pleasure, but those are even worse; you literally have to plan your day around eating those because the gastrointestinal aftermath requires you be near a restroom you're comfortable blowing up an hour later, and your pores will reek of onions for the next 24 hours, but damned if they're not delicious.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
It is weird. For the past couple of weeks I've been on a bit of a diet. No meat, no processed foods, low carb... basically just lettuce, kale, carrots, lentils, strawberries, apples, and chickpeas. I threw a little sweetcorn and rice in a few times for variety. Other than being hungry, I've felt fantastic for the last week. Yesterday I went to the doctors office and my checkup turned out great. So went to a local burger joint to celebrate. Got my old favorite, double chorizo cheeseburger with avacado and bacon and jalapeno cilantro shoestring fries.

I could not even eat half of it. And an hour later I started feeling kind of lethargic... started feeling my age more. That's when it hit me, I wasn't feeling bad... I had just gotten used to finally feeling kind of good. I think maybe next time I won't go from super clean diet straight to gutbusting so suddenly anymore. As for the gastrointestinal aftermath... I'm afraid, because it hasn't happened yet. Its been 24 hours and I'm kind of dreading what that means.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
If anyone eats these, best beware -

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
If anyone eats these, best beware -
Ugh, aside from the Cucumber, they should be recalled for their flavors alone. My gf would probably like them, though. She loves every type of seafood. Might have to track them down for her (we've no allergies to milk, wheat or soy.)

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Turmeric, cumin seeds, cardamom seeds, makes an excellent DIY pilau rice.
That's a couple of things that go into my Kabsa, I made some yesterday.20200830_111558_HDR.jpg
That wasn't yesterday's batch, but just a picture of some I have made before. My favorite dish. Very garlicky, spices with a middle-eastern flair. A little sweetness with fresh tomato. This batch had some cilantro for color. Yesterday I had my preferred fresh green toppings, spinach and Italian parsley.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
That's a couple of things that go into my Kabsa, I made some yesterday.View attachment 6538
That wasn't yesterday's batch, but just a picture of some I have made before. My favorite dish. Very garlicky, spices with a middle-eastern flair. A little sweetness with fresh tomato. This batch had some cilantro for color. Yesterday I had my preferred fresh green toppings, spinach and Italian parsley.
Would you mind sharing that recipe? That looks incredible.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
No, if I recall correctly, she wasn't even red-headed at the time let alone did she have pigtails. Her name is Melinda; "Wendy" is a nickname; not sure where the iconic "Wendy" imagery came from, though Wikipedia says it's based on her, so maybe at one point she was red-headed with pigtails?

I'm not a huge fast food person, though I am a sucker for French fries, so find myself in a fast food line more often than I'd like for that craving. I've not had a fast food burger in, I dunno, a couple of years? My girlfriend forced me to try a bite of my first Big Mac a few months ago (no thanks) and I don't think I've EVER had a Wendy's burger period. I dislike ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise, so in lieu of trying to spell out my custom order like I'm speaking to a five-year-old just for the kids in the back to get it inexorably wrong, I typically opt for chicken nuggets or tenders.

About the only fast food burger I'll buy is from Whataburger, and those are few and far between because they are so big and dense, the food coma it puts you in can ruin your plans for the day. Oh, and White Castles are a guilty pleasure, but those are even worse; you literally have to plan your day around eating those because the gastrointestinal aftermath requires you be near a restroom you're comfortable blowing up an hour later, and your pores will reek of onions for the next 24 hours, but damned if they're not delicious.
I'm not a fan of chain fast food at all, I might eat a Burger King if I was reallly, really starving, but I live in a town with a fairly large arts university so there's plenty of art is anal burger/pizza/burrito etc places to eat, various microbreweries in the vicinity etc. But I'm a cheapass and they tend to be exoensive. Basically, I just make my own food.. and on that note...

Yes, Recipe would be nice!
That's a couple of things that go into my Kabsa, I made some yesterday.View attachment 6538

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Would you mind sharing that recipe? That looks incredible.
If you are looking for measurements, I can't help you. I learned it from watching an Egyptian guy make it at his restaurant. If you go off the traditional recipe you find online... kicking out a serving will take 8 to 10 hours... I learned it from the owner of that little middle-eastern cafe I went to who could plate it in 10 or so minutes. It took me dozens of tries until I got the hang of it, still takes me about 40 minutes. First, marinate the meat. Choose your chicken or lamb. I generally cut it raw into smallish chunks (chicken breasts or lamb) or (for dark meat chicken) just use whole drumsticks. Chicken... in buttermilk and salt, or Lamb... creamy italian dressing. Marinate for at least 2 hours. Then, prepare the rice.

A little aside here, every single rice recipe I've ever seen (even on the instructions printed on your rice package) is wrong. Most say 1 1/2:1, or even 2:1 water to rice is the correct measurement. Maybe if you are making risotto and you want completely textureless mushy rice, otherwise that is WAY too much water. Perfect rice is just a tiny bit more water than rice... basically 1:1. Oh, and for the love of god not in a rice cooker... just use a small saucepan. Soak 20 minutes; stir, drain, add the water up to 1:1, heat to boil then turn heat down to almost off and cook covered for 15 min. Perfect rice.

Crush as many garlic cloves as you think you want... plus one more into your pot, sauté with butter and rosemary. Garlic is halfway done, then toss in your chicken. Cook until... almost done. Remove the chicken (only, leaving buttery fondt in the pan.) Add the rice, pour in some chicken stock to deglaze (enough to just cover the bottom of the pot basically.) Then add your spice blend, use plenty of it (a little more than you might think looks right.) For Kabsa it is cumin, cardamom, and allspice... with a little added Turmeric (not too much, you don't want it bright yellow.) Then choose level and type of heat. Diced peppers, dried pepper flakes, whatever you like. Personally I enjoy chili oil... or more commonly several shakes of Valentina extra hot sauce (basically heat without altering taste.) Cook on medium high, stirring frequently until most of the moisture is cooked off. Add the chicken back in as well as some blanched sliced spinach. Lower heat to low and stir until well mixed. Plate, drizzle with a little garlic sauce, top with minced parsley and diced tomato. Done.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
If you are looking for measurements, I can't help you. I learned it from watching an Egyptian guy make it at his restaurant. If you go off the traditional recipe you find online... kicking out a serving will take 8 to 10 hours... I learned it from the owner of that little middle-eastern cafe I went to who could plate it in 10 or so minutes. It took me dozens of tries until I got the hang of it, still takes me about 40 minutes. First, marinate the meat. Choose your chicken or lamb. I generally cut it raw into smallish chunks (chicken breasts or lamb) or (for dark meat chicken) just use whole drumsticks. Chicken... in buttermilk and salt, or Lamb... creamy italian dressing. Marinate for at least 2 hours. Then, prepare the rice.

A little aside here, every single rice recipe I've ever seen (even on the instructions printed on your rice package) is wrong. Most say 1 1/2:1, or even 2:1 water to rice is the correct measurement. Maybe if you are making risotto and you want completely textureless mushy rice, otherwise that is WAY too much water. Perfect rice is just a tiny bit more water than rice... basically 1:1. Oh, and for the love of god not in a rice cooker... just use a small saucepan. Soak 20 minutes; stir, drain, add the water up to 1:1, heat to boil then turn heat down to almost off and cook covered for 15 min. Perfect rice.

Crush as many garlic cloves as you think you want... plus one more into your pot, sauté with butter and rosemary. Garlic is halfway done, then toss in your chicken. Cook until... almost done. Remove the chicken (only, leaving buttery fondt in the pan.) Add the rice, pour in some chicken stock to deglaze (enough to just cover the bottom of the pot basically.) Then add your spice blend, use plenty of it (a little more than you might think looks right.) For Kabsa it is cumin, cardamom, and allspice... with a little added Turmeric (not too much, you don't want it bright yellow.) Then choose level and type of heat. Diced peppers, dried pepper flakes, whatever you like. Personally I enjoy chili oil... or more commonly several shakes of Valentina extra hot sauce (basically heat without altering taste.) Cook on medium high, stirring frequently until most of the moisture is cooked off. Add the chicken back in as well as some blanched sliced spinach. Lower heat to low and stir until well mixed. Plate, drizzle with a little garlic sauce, top with minced parsley and diced tomato. Done.
Thank you! The lack of measurements reminds me of my entire family's style of cooking, that is to say: I'll wing it until I like it.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
PXL_20220708_201043136~2.jpg

First official meal cooked at my new place tonight. soy sauce sauteed onion and beef cubes in Golden Sun curry over steamed white rice(pinch of salt). Just wanted to know what the home curry tastes like in Japan. Apparently for non-formal its just this. I didn't have carrots or potatoes handy unfortunately and Im too tired to go shopping.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Since we've been talking food, I made an old favorite this weekend I haven't had for a while. Migas.
20220710_091829.jpg
It isn't particularly complex. Fried corn tortilla strips with Chorizo. Topped with fried eggs, shredded cilantro, and cheese. Most times people use crema or queso blanco,
but here I've used shredded Asadero. It is just a slightly funkier aroma and flavor. Can't elaborate on the recipe, apparently there are about 1000 different ways to make migas. Just type it into youtube and follow whichever one you find easiest and tastiest. A testament to the simplicity of the recipe... the video I used is about :30 long.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I have brought shame upon my Asian ancestry by actually getting a headache from how garlicky my "aglio olio" was. I really should have added the garlic sooner, before the oil became too cool.
Color me intrigued. I'm a massive fan of garlic; in my opinion, there's never enough. Make it exactly as you "mistakenly" did, and send it to me.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Color me intrigued. I'm a massive fan of garlic; in my opinion, there's never enough. Make it exactly as you "mistakenly" did, and send it to me.
Well I love garlic, but even I have a limit for how much raw garlic I can take. Also the sauce was kept bottle up in a container for a few hours, so I think I genuinely inhaled an abnormal amount of garlic fumes.