Our Covid Response

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Cancer and flu-like infection are 2 very different things.

I bet if people instead got healthy vs depending on some $3,000 drug that does nothing, they'd have better covid outcomes. None of these restrictions have shown to saved more life. Fauci just pulls shit out of his ass at this point, he literally said that new drug was the reason he didn't go to the hospital, and what actual proof does he have for that? Literally nothing.

One incident of something happening = that it is likely to happen?
It's literally studied physics.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
One incident of something happening = that it is likely to happen?
That's...not the only incident though. This was just the first thing I found on YouTube in under five minutes that showed 1) someone being ejected from a vehicle through the windshield during a crash, 2) that was from within a few years ago (so newer model vehicles involved) and 3) that the person being ejected could have enough force to potentially fly through your own window and into you. If you need more proof that not wearing a seat belt is incredibly dangerous in an accident, just scroll through the all time top rated posts of r/idiotsincars and you'll find plenty of examples of people being violently ejected from vehicles during crashes/rollovers.

But the funny thing is, is that this (being hit and injured by someone ejected from a vehicle accident while not properly wearing a seat belt) is not the only reason why driving without a seat belt is dangerous. Say you are driving down the road without being belted in and suddenly you need to quickly swerve out of the way of something that just came out in front of you. The second you spin that wheel to swerve you are throwing yourself out of your bucket seat and if you have an older car with a full front bench if you don't have a good death grip on that wheel you are being thrown into the passenger side and no longer in control of your several thousand pound death machine. Hell, even coming to a sudden stop is going to throw you into your steering wheel, and God help you if you roll over your vehicle.

Since I can feel this argument looming in the background, yes we don't make kids wear seat belts while riding school buses, but that is because they are relying on the massive weight and size of the bus itself to mitigate much of the force and because the reasons you would want to evacuate a huge bus full of 50 screaming, panicking children (vehicle goes into the water, stuck on railroad tracks, on fire, etc) would make seat belts a massive hindrance.

All of this is to say, at the very least even if you don't give a shit about masks and mandates or whatever the fuck else, you should at least wear your seatbelt (and your pets should be somewhat secure too if at all possible). Cars have indeed become extremely safe to be involved in crashes over the past decade or so, it's true, but all of that safety is predicated on the fact that you are restrained into the vehicle instead of being another loose item like your groceries.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
It's literally studied physics.
Wait. Are you saying there are multiple steps to keeping safe and you can increase all of them for the best protection? *shocked Pikachu face*

Is this like how the doctors suggested masks, washing hands, ventilation, vaccines, quarantining and shut down border to help with reducing Covid-19 deaths? One solution is fine but multiple together work much better

Jeez, that's strange, why did I bring up the Covid analogy?

Reactions: Kwak

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
No, it's really not, it makes numerous secondary assumptions.
:rolleyes:

You actually think after omicron that immunity actually matters to infections?

Whilst technically correct, that simply doesn't address the argument about the relevance of subjective and objective measures of illness to the placebo effect.

Yes, so I hope you're out there campaigning hard for things like: a comprehensive healthcare system that favours preventative measures, readily accessible to all, supporting public education and assisting with lifestyle choices; forcing food producers to add nutritional guidance on food packaging; better school meals; better support for exercise (e.g. public sports facilities); maybe even things like heavier taxation on unhealthy foods and cigarettes, etc.

It's not hard to eat properly, it just takes basic education. When I went to school, the food pyramid was basically backwards in what's actually good for you.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
That's...not the only incident though. This was just the first thing I found on YouTube in under five minutes that showed 1) someone being ejected from a vehicle through the windshield during a crash, 2) that was from within a few years ago (so newer model vehicles involved) and 3) that the person being ejected could have enough force to potentially fly through your own window and into you. If you need more proof that not wearing a seat belt is incredibly dangerous in an accident, just scroll through the all time top rated posts of r/idiotsincars and you'll find plenty of examples of people being violently ejected from vehicles during crashes/rollovers.

But the funny thing is, is that this (being hit and injured by someone ejected from a vehicle accident while not properly wearing a seat belt) is not the only reason why driving without a seat belt is dangerous. Say you are driving down the road without being belted in and suddenly you need to quickly swerve out of the way of something that just came out in front of you. The second you spin that wheel to swerve you are throwing yourself out of your bucket seat and if you have an older car with a full front bench if you don't have a good death grip on that wheel you are being thrown into the passenger side and no longer in control of your several thousand pound death machine. Hell, even coming to a sudden stop is going to throw you into your steering wheel, and God help you if you roll over your vehicle.

Since I can feel this argument looming in the background, yes we don't make kids wear seat belts while riding school buses, but that is because they are relying on the massive weight and size of the bus itself to mitigate much of the force and because the reasons you would want to evacuate a huge bus full of 50 screaming, panicking children (vehicle goes into the water, stuck on railroad tracks, on fire, etc) would make seat belts a massive hindrance.

All of this is to say, at the very least even if you don't give a shit about masks and mandates or whatever the fuck else, you should at least wear your seatbelt (and your pets should be somewhat secure too if at all possible). Cars have indeed become extremely safe to be involved in crashes over the past decade or so, it's true, but all of that safety is predicated on the fact that you are restrained into the vehicle instead of being another loose item like your groceries.
I wasn't saying that you can't fly out the windshield, I said it's very rare. What have you put forth to say it's not rare and why you would possibly worry about others in other cars not wearing a seat belt?

I do wear seatbelts because they actually work. Nobody has provided proof masks work, mandates definitely don't work.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Wait. Are you saying there are multiple steps to keeping safe and you can increase all of them for the best protection? *shocked Pikachu face*

Is this like how the doctors suggested masks, washing hands, ventilation, vaccines, quarantining and shut down border to help with reducing Covid-19 deaths? One solution is fine but multiple together work much better

Jeez, that's strange, why did I bring up the Covid analogy?
Masks and washing hands don't work.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Firstly, that's a weak paper, and you are still just grabbing any old random stuff without doing any quality control.

Secondly, it defends my point anyway: patients self-reported improvement, but the underlying physiological biomarkers showed no significant advantage with placebo.

It's not hard to eat properly, it just takes basic education. When I went to school, the food pyramid was basically backwards in what's actually good for you.
No, it's not just basic education. Education is part of it, but it's also a load of other social factors.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You actually think after omicron that immunity actually matters to infections?
Me and everyone paying the slightest bit of attention, and the scientific consensus, yes.

What I particularly love about this response is how much your tune seems to change every so often. You were the one opining a short while ago that we were all just fine to ignore covid because we had immunity now.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Firstly, that's a weak paper, and you are still just grabbing any old random stuff without doing any quality control.

Secondly, it defends my point anyway: patients self-reported improvement, but the underlying physiological biomarkers showed no significant advantage with placebo.

No, it's not just basic education. Education is part of it, but it's also a load of other social factors.
The paper mentions it's hardly been studied. We still don't know quite a lot of things and you act like we know everything. Illnesses aren't just physiological. Sure you can say something as serious as cancer isn't going to be helped long-term by basically positivity/good mentality but to equate that to covid is beyond bad science.

If people don't know what is actually good to eat, it's almost impossible to eat well. People don't even know what's good for them to eat to begin with. We haven't even completed step 1, let alone any additional steps so let's do step 1 first and then get to the other things as you need a foundation first which isn't present.

Me and everyone paying the slightest bit of attention, and the scientific consensus, yes.

What I particularly love about this response is how much your tune seems to change every so often. You were the one opining a short while ago that we were all just fine to ignore covid because we had immunity now.
You keep throwing out scientific consensus as a thing when it doesn't exist for most of the things. In fact, it was against the rules on several platforms to mention that vaccines don't slow the spread and now you can talk about it freely. If the scientific consensus was still as you say, then platforms would still be censoring it. Why should anyone normal person worry about covid that has immunity? I much prefer catching covid over the flu or a common cold.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Are we now unironically at "pray diseases away"? What fun!
Acting like mentality doesn't effect your physical health is so anti-science it's not even funny. For example, how to you think people get upset stomachs when something happens where they get very nervous/anxious over something, that's all mentality affect your physical body. Pain is also very mental as well, there's numerous recorded examples of people given placebos in great pain and the pain disappears completely.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So, if people get sick and die from COVID, they just didn't want to get better enough. Got it. Mentality can play into it, don't get me wrong, but acting like it's all in their head and getting better is just about willpower is asinine.
4AXf.gif

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The paper mentions it's hardly been studied.
No it doesn't.

"Since then, placebo effects,27 expectancy,810 and context effects11,12 have been studied extensively ". It says there's not been much study of placebo on the common cold.

We still don't know quite a lot of things and you act like we know everything.
I act like someone who's a professional in the area, who knows both a shitload more than you, and how to read scientific papers properly. Probably because I am a professional who works in this area.

There are psychological-physiological interactions, such as potential links between interactions of the immune system and mood (which might not be so much a surprise when we consider hormones such as cortisol being related to both, or evidence of brain inflammation activity in depression). But that's still a long, long way from claiming placebos cure respiratory infections.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
So, if people get sick and die from COVID, they just didn't want to get better enough. Got it. Mentality can play into it, don't get me wrong, but acting like it's all in their head and getting better is just about willpower is asinine.
I haven't. I'm discussing why a drug study that said the drug SLIGHTLY helps may just be placebo effect as there was no placebo group in the study. Also, it's theorized that long covid can be a decent portion of mentality since nobody has really found any physiological reasons IIRC.

Yes, yes. You live in a world where seat belts dont save lives

We understand
Why can't you actually follow science? Show me a RCT that masks work, basic proof, nothing outlandish. It's well been known washing hands doesn't work for preventing covid, I don't know how you even think this is a thing. Show your proof that your right. The person making the claim (masks work or washing hands work) is required to provide proof something is true, this proof was never given. Seat belts work as we have proof of that.

There is nothing more traditional than using 1300s science
All health is bio-psycho-social. For example, I've never taken any kind of pain medications in my life or have any tylenol or anything at my place. Yet all my friends my age and 10 years younger always complain about pains and whatnot. And the mortgage insurance guy was completely befuddled when I said I don't have any medication at all in my house (I said you can search the place too) when asking if I was on any medication.

No it doesn't.

"Since then, placebo effects,27 expectancy,810 and context effects11,12 have been studied extensively ". It says there's not been much study of placebo on the common cold.

I act like someone who's a professional in the area, who knows both a shitload more than you, and how to read scientific papers properly. Probably because I am a professional who works in this area.

There are psychological-physiological interactions, such as potential links between interactions of the immune system and mood (which might not be so much a surprise when we consider hormones such as cortisol being related to both, or evidence of brain inflammation activity in depression). But that's still a long, long way from claiming placebos cure respiratory infections.
That's what I was mentioning...

And we don't know much about placebos and respiratory infections as the paper mentioned. It's not some huge jump in logic to say it could be the placebo effect for the very slight benefit remdesivir showed. You're acting like it's in the realm of impossibility.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You keep throwing out scientific consensus as a thing when it doesn't exist for most of the things. In fact, it was against the rules on several platforms to mention that vaccines don't slow the spread and now you can talk about it freely. If the scientific consensus was still as you say, then platforms would still be censoring it.
What the hell does this even mean? You're taking the fact that an idea isn't being censored in some online platforms to mean that its... true?! Could anyone cook up a weaker, shoddier logic?

Why should anyone normal person worry about covid that has immunity? I much prefer catching covid over the flu or a common cold.
Have you forgotten what you're supposed to be arguing (again)?

I for one am surprised that the most recent video you've provided features the same YouTube personality as the last 8 or 9 you've posted.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
And we don't know much about placebos and respiratory infections as the paper mentioned. It's not some huge jump in logic to say it could be the placebo effect for the very slight benefit remdesivir showed. You're acting like it's in the realm of impossibility.
I deal in evidence-based probabilities.

I don't have a lot of time for wishful thinking possibilities like you do.

Last edited: