Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's an example of why you don't blanket ban things. The "blackface" episode of Community got removed off Netflix and Hulu, I guess dressing up as fantasy races is racist now...
Nobody asked them to.

It wasn't an argument, just an example of how ridiculous it is. Nobody is ever going to look back at Philadelphia being problematic like Ace Ventura.
No, but they will look back on it as a time when a gay main character could only exist to depict gay trauma, and have a straight actor receive an Oscar for it. And that is something actors today should probably want to avoid.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You know the thing I literally have never looked up in my life? Whether an actor in real life has the same sexuality as the character they are portraying.
You must have done, because you pointed out in the very same post that Eric Stonestreet is straight whilst Cam is gay.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
ETA: For the record, I was interested in Batgirl because I saw it as a chance for Brendan Fraser to get back into Hollywood after circumstances outside his control (and being at least sexually harassed behind the scenes) caused his career to get derailed.
Same. Like, no hate on Leslie Grace, but I wasn't gonna go watch it for her

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Lol ok. "Thank you for telling us what we think, oh grand psychic", eh?
Oh right cause this time it totally is different unlike:
  • Batwoman
  • New Charmed
  • New She-Ra
  • Ghostbusters Answer the Call and that whole reboot line
  • The Reboot of Charlie's Angels
  • Chibnall's whole Dr Who run
that totally got so very much support and didn't end up with studios pulling the plug due to lack of support at all. No it was all the fault of bigots who weren't the target audience anyway that broke into peoples homes and forced them not to watch those shows right?

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Batwoman: Ran for 3 seasons

New Charmed: Ran for 4 seasons

New She-Ra: Ran for 5 seasons

Ghostbusters reboot: made $229 million worldwide on a $144 million budget, so probably flopped, but not on a massive scale

Charlie's Angels reboot: Flopped because it completely sucked

Chibnall's Dr. Who run: Ran for 3 seasons, was not well-received because Chibnall couldn't write for shit

ETA: Oh, and all of those things did one thing Batgirl didn't. What was that...OH YEAH. RELEASED.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
The current conversation is proof that conservatives are scared out of their minds that someone they deem unworthy might get to have nice things.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
No it was all the fault of bigots who weren't the target audience anyway that broke into peoples homes and forced them not to watch those shows right?
^ telling me what everyone else thinks, immediately after moaning about other people doing exactly that.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Nobody asked them to.

No, but they will look back on it as a time when a gay main character could only exist to depict gay trauma, and have a straight actor receive an Oscar for it. And that is something actors today should probably want to avoid.
The fact that things are being removed because they just might be "offensive" is a good thing?

That's not something someone watching Philadelphia is gonna even think of today or tomorrow unless they are watching it for study purposes. Also Tom Hanks said he wouldn't play the role TODAY.

You must have done, because you pointed out in the very same post that Eric Stonestreet is straight whilst Cam is gay.
I didn't look it up, I saw it mentioned somewhere. Just like I heard somewhere that Uncle Phil and Carl Winslow actors are gay, not that I care or looked it up, you hear tons of things you don't care about to look up.

Nobody said that. You're hallucinating it
Tom Hanks said it...

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Tom Hanks said it...
No he didn't. He said a straight actor couldn't do what he did in Philadelphia today, and he's correct: if Philadelphia came out today, with a straight actor, it absolutely would not have the same impact as Philadelphia did in 1993. That's how time works

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
No he didn't. He said a straight actor couldn't do what he did in Philadelphia today, and he's correct: if Philadelphia came out today, with a straight actor, it absolutely would not have the same impact as Philadelphia did in 1993. That's how time works
That's not what he said. He said a straight man shouldn't play that role, not that it would or would not have the same impact, obviously it wouldn't for many reasons.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
That's not what he said. He said a straight man shouldn't play that role, not that it would or would not have the same impact, obviously it wouldn't for many reasons.
Please read the article you are mad at said:
“Could a straight man do what I did in Philadelphia now? No, and rightly so,” Hanks said to The New York Times Magazine. “The whole point of Philadelphia was, ‘Don’t be afraid.’ One of the reasons people weren’t afraid of that movie is that I was playing a gay man.”
“We’re beyond that now, and I don’t think people would accept the inauthenticity of a straight guy playing a gay guy,” he continued. “It’s not a crime, it’s not boohoo, that someone would say we are going to demand more of a movie in the modern realm of authenticity. Do I sound like I’m preaching? I don’t mean to.”

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The fact that things are being removed because they just might be "offensive" is a good thing?

That's not something someone watching Philadelphia is gonna even think of today or tomorrow unless they are watching it for study purposes. Also Tom Hanks said he wouldn't play the role TODAY.
Where did I say things had to be removed? I said nobody asked them to remove that episode. And even so blackface has been very controversial for decades not just recently. Ted Danson pretty much got "cancelled" back in the 90's for doing it at a private get-together. Netflix was basically acting on decades of prior kneejerk reactions.

As for Philadelphia, it's not about that movie alone perpetuating the 'gay trauma' trope, it's about nearly every movie (significantly backed by Hollywood) featuring gay characters being about them suffering for being gay. That was the issue; Straight people (in Hollywood) looking at the LGBTQ+ community and only defining their stories through misery. And eventhough some of these were true stories, they were still the only stories Hollywood decided to focus on, again, for the sake of awards. And they were called out on that and seemed to have backed off on it in the recent years.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Philadelphia could not have existed at it was without a straight man playing the lead.

How many openly gay A-list actors were there to carry that movie in the early 90s? Homophobia effectively meant that there were none to cast with such prominence. This forces society to view homosexuals through representation by heterosexuals, and a straight man creates an impact through his willingness to take on a risk of stigmatisation in such an atmosphere. Nowadays, with homosexuality far more normalised, it would not be the same.

The second issue Hanks notes is authenticity. As a general rule, I would hope we would say it's not a problem for a heterosexual actor to portray a homosexual character or vice versa. However, there will be occasions where the significance of the role or an "issue" could justifiably create a great deal more impetus for authentic casting: much like, for instance, we might not want a white actor to play MLK.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Where did I say things had to be removed? I said nobody asked them to remove that episode. And even so blackface has been very controversial for decades not just recently. Ted Danson pretty much got "cancelled" back in the 90's for doing it at a private get-together. Netflix was basically acting on decades of prior kneejerk reactions.

As for Philadelphia, it's not about that movie alone perpetuating the 'gay trauma' trope, it's about nearly every movie (significantly backed by Hollywood) featuring gay characters being about them suffering for being gay. That was the issue; Straight people (in Hollywood) looking at the LGBTQ+ community and only defining their stories through misery. And eventhough some of these were true stories, they were still the only stories Hollywood decided to focus on, again, for the sake of awards. And they were called out on that and seemed to have backed off on it in the recent years.
I didn't say you said that, I was just pointing out it's not a good place to be.

Hollywood loves those type of stories regardless of subject matter for Oscars. I always found something like Scrubs drama when contrasted with comedy hits you way harder than just straight drama, but that's not "serious" enough for Oscars.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Batwoman: Ran for 3 seasons
And got it's ass Kicked by Legends of Tomorrow ones of the CW DC shows with the lower audience numbers.

New Charmed: Ran for 4 seasons
And no-one noticed for the most part

New She-Ra: Ran for 5 seasons
some of which were splitting a season in 2 to make 2 seasons an set up an arc they ended up rushing to a not really tied up finish

Ghostbusters reboot: made $229 million worldwide on a $144 million budget, so probably flopped, but not on a massive scale
And yet the axed the sequel and spin off Slime patrol Cartoon that was apparently already made. Also the stated budget doesn't include marketing which can be 50% additional on the films budget

Charlie's Angels reboot: Flopped because it completely sucked
Yet had a lot of push with the "This time it' for women and not men" and the whole "The sexists hate this film so it must be great and everyone should go see it"

Chibnall's Dr. Who run: Ran for 3 seasons, was not well-received because Chibnall couldn't write for shit
3 seasons and hitting the lowest ratings ever seen since the start of the reboot.

ETA: Oh, and all of those things did one thing Batgirl didn't. What was that...OH YEAH. RELEASED.
And?

Sorry precedent so far suggests it would have been a lot of yelling and noise and not get the returns WB wanted and not likely even have managed Snydercut numbers

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
The current conversation is proof that conservatives are scared out of their minds that someone they deem unworthy might get to have nice things.
You mean people not really interested in it getting nice things they will then throw aside and demand everything change to cater to them too. Often to such an extent that we've seen them threaten and harass social media managers off social media while pretending everyone objecting to them is just toxic and awful and shouldn't be allowed to be fans of the property etc etc.