General Gaming News.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Oh EA, you just can't let others say dumber things, can you? You guys just love to say stuff that gets dumber every year.

No, really. I am impressed. Some guys just play dumb to the whole thing, while others act hostile and antagonize their player base. But no one is as consistent with dumb statement like you guys. The tenacity and the scale of stupidity should be commended for.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Oh EA, you just can't let others say dumber things, can you? You guys just love to say stuff that gets dumber every year.

No, really. I am impressed. Some guys just play dumb to the whole thing, while others act hostile and antagonize their player base. But no one is as consistent with dumb statement like you guys. The tenacity and the scale of stupidity should be commended for.
Afaik, those lootboxes did sell very well, like 1/3 of EA's profits, and in their mind sales = love, so from their pov, saying players loved the mtx is correct.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Harry Potter got delayed to 2023. Rip Wizard '22
I posted the news on Friday, but thanks for the reminder.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Do you think the folks giving those statements need beta blockers or something to say them and not have some kind of stroke.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
More from Gotham Knights.

So far, it has all the elements that I believe will make the game a failure.
  • Talking about builds and damage numbers popping up, indicating this game is a looter.
    • Which will lead to the game also being a live-service?
  • Typical, mundane side objectives.
  • Combat looks like a dumb fun beat'em up, like Avengers, where all sense of smooth flow is thrown out the window
  • Two players can play as the same character. Fun for gameplay, but sort of ruins immersion.
  • Constantly throwing one-liners.
IDK, guys. It looks really not that great

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Which will lead to the game also being a live-service?
LIEV SERVACE! (Sterling voice)

Two players can play as the same character. Fun for gameplay, but sort of ruins immersion.
I don't think you'll have many complaints on that one. It's nice seeing a feature like that has not been done in a long time for co-op games. Makes things extra fun and silly. I remember in those times, in order to do that, it usually had to be a cheat code.

Constantly throwing one-liners.
Yahtzee actually talked about this in one of his videos back in May. It's still a nasty problem among AAA products. The protagonists have to comment or snark every 5 minutes, otherwise they're afraid the player(s) may lose interest or not have proper "IMMERZAN". Most gamers do not have ADHD AAA gaming industry; stop lying to yourselves. We are talking snark and commentary so bad, that even Dante would tell the heroes to cut it back. Howard and Kreese would tell most of these people constantly spouting quips to shut up.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Yahtzee actually talked about this in one of his videos back in May. It's still a nasty problem among AAA products, would have protagonists have to comment or snark every 5 minutes, otherwise they're afraid the player(s) may lose interest or not have proper "IMMERZAN". Most gamers do not have ADHD AAA gaming industry; stop lying to yourselves. We are talking snark and commentary so bad, that even Dante would tell the heroes to cut it back. Or Howard and Kreese, would tell most of these people constantly spouting quips to shut up.
I have my criticisms of the Master Chief as a character, but at least I can say that he never started gabbing while I was trying to enjoy scenery or listening for sound cues.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yahtzee actually talked about this in one of his videos back in May. It's still a nasty problem among AAA products, would have protagonists have to comment or snark every 5 minutes, otherwise they're afraid the player(s) may lose interest or not have proper "IMMERZAN". Most gamers do not have ADHD AAA gaming industry; stop lying to yourselves. We are talking snark and commentary so bad, that even Dante would tell the heroes to cut it back. Or Howard and Kreese, would tell most of these people constantly spouting quips to shut up.
I feel like I'm the only one not bothered by this, or even enjoys this actively. I feel like the Quippy protagonist is exaggerated when people talk about it and in the real games the dialog isn't that constant. I don't know, I always enjoy it when a character showcases personality rather than being an awkwardly quiet bag of skin that I can control for a while.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I feel like I'm the only one not bothered by this, or even enjoys this actively. I feel like the Quippy protagonist is exaggerated when people talk about it and in the real games the dialog isn't that constant. I don't know, I always enjoy it when a character showcases personality rather than being an awkwardly quiet bag of skin that I can control for a while.
I usually don't have a problem either, but there is such a thing as too much or going overboard.

I will say games like God of War 4, DMC5 (Devil May Cry in general; not counting DmC 2013), and Bulletstorm do it well. Then again, most of these games remember to have quiet moments, or let the characters be silent so the player can be immersed properly. Even Bulletstorm had some quick moments of reflection. Ironic, because Yahtzee complained originally about the characters "talking too much", only to change his opinion about 3 or 4 years later. Though it was mainly in the gameplay department.

I have my criticisms of the Master Chief as a character, but at least I can say that he never started gabbing while I was trying to enjoy scenery or listening for sound cues.
Master Chief is more (appropriately) talkative in Infinite, but nowhere near the chattiness of most other AAA titles.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
will says games like God of War 4, DMC5 (Devil May Cry in general; not counting DmC 2013), and Bulletstorm do it well. Then again, most of these games remember to have quiet moments, or let the characters be silent so the player can be immersed properly. Even Bulletstorm had some quick moments of reflection. Ironic, because Yahtzee complained originally about the characters "talking too much, only to change his opinion about 3 or 4 years later. Though it was mainly in the gameplay department.
I mean Ratchet and Clank is probably not a super fair complaint to make because it's aimed at a younger audience so the dialog is meant to hold a younger persons attention.

There is a totally different audience between Ratchet & Clank and God of War you know. So that might explain why it's done so differently in GoW and why it's good.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean Ratchet and Clank is probably not a super fair complaint to make because it's aimed at a younger audience so the dialog is meant to hold a younger persons attention.
No, it is fair. Especially when even the original was nowhere near this close to chatty and knew when to shut up and let the player be immersed properly. Guess what? The original PS2 games were targeted towards kids and mid pre-teens. They were all able to hold our attention just fine without chatting it up 24/7!

There is a totally different audience between Ratchet & Clank and God of War you know.
That does not matter. If other kids games (OG R&C included) from the PS1 and PS2 games can get this right, so can modern kids games. Just because they are different target audience, does not mean it's inherently better than the other. There are games meant for teens-adults that fuck it up too on the talk too much scale.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The original PS2 games were targeted towards kids and mid pre-teens.
Yes but sound compression in Ps2 era was expensive and difficult. Hard to directly relate considering how much easier it is to have a densely chatty game. You might be right, but it's like arguing if Leborn is better than Jordan. Different eras different limits.

Also a lot of those games from way back are remembered differently in our heads. Sometimes going back to those games you'll see all sorts of problems with them so it's the era and technological gap that makes direct comparisons hard.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yes but sound compression in Ps2 era was expensive and difficult. Hard to directly relate considering how much easier it is to have a densely chatty game.
That only further proves my point. The additional hardware boost does not guarantee perfection. In addition, it only highlights the bigger problem with the AAA industry. You don't have to be constantly going on all cylinders. Bigger does not mean better. Sometimes less is more.

You might be right, but it's like arguing if Leborn is better than Jordan. Different eras different limits.
LeBron is overrated, but a good player. Jordan is highly overrated, and was a punk ass biatch at times. I won't develop that any further. Look it up.

Also a lot of those games from way back are remembered differently in our heads. Sometimes going back to those games you'll see all sorts of problems with them so it's the era and technological gap that makes direct comparisons hard.
And yet most were able to do something better despite or because of said limitations. There are still games from older eras that have more replay value, and worth the time, than most AAA games of today, 8th, and 7th generations.

Last edited: