Mini Consoles: Do you have one? Want one?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
They are cute and I like them, but ultimately they are far too over-priced for something that can be accomplished by emulating those same games and playing them with a good quality joystick, specially since there are some fairly affordable good quality bluetooth replicas of those controllers.

So I like them, but I probably wouldn't have one, if I were to invest in something of that style I'd probably go with one of those portable emulation consoles, since they at least provide functionality my PC can't provide.
I mean, the only real difference between the mini-consoles and any of the (handheld) emulation boxes is an official license and logo's, and maybe a nicer front-end.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Sega Genesis Mini 2 I plan on pre-ordering in a couple of weeks.
I'd love to get one but not at the price they are asking for, so I'll probably never get one since it sounds like they are releasing the 2 in a really weird way.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'd love to get one but not at the price they are asking for, so I'll probably never get one since it sounds like they are releasing the 2 in a really weird way.
Completely understandable. The only reason I am getting it at the current price, is because I know it's only gonna get more expensive later on. I admit that I am literally getting this for some of the Sega CD games. Mainly so I can have a copy of Final Fight CD. Oh, and Earthworm Jim 2. At least they are consistent in that regard. Though Revenge of Shinobi and SOR1 should have been in the first SG Mini. I do hope they have the region option again for all games. A cool feature should stay in. I do not blame you for not buying.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Completely understandable. The only reason I getting it at the current price, is because I know it's only gonna get more expensive later on. I admit that I am literally getting this for some of the Sega CD games. Mainly so I can have a copy of Final Fight CD. Oh, and Earthworm Jim 2. At least their consistent in that regard. Though Revenge of Shinobi and SOR1 should have been in the first SG Mini. I do hope they have the region option again for all games. A cool feature should stay in. I do not blame you for not buying.
Yeah, its got a lot of good stuff I would like to have, but the price point is just dumb. You're totally right though, its doomed for collector item status since its got good stuff and apparently really limited supply... Although they might be lying about that to boost preorders. I forget if the Genesis mini 1 had a lot of extra supply on store shelves or not. Apparently you won't have region choice with 2.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I forget if the Genesis mini 1 had a lot of extra supply on store shelves or not.
It did for a long while. I got mine second hand at a store, and used store credit to take off half the price. It was around mid 2021 supplies started dropping, and scalpers on Amazon were charging twice or three times the amount. If you go to Ebay, the first SG Minis are a bit cheaper on the used side by comparison.

Apparently you won't have region choice with 2.
Shit. Oh well, at least I get the games I care about with a few bonuses games. The Western side is still getting short changed, as the Japanese version gets 20 Sega CD games. Snatcher would have been a cool option, but it's not on either version.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Shit. Oh well, at least I get the games I care about with a few bonuses games. The Western side is still getting short changed, as the Japanese version gets 20 Sega CD games. Snatcher would have been a cool option, but it's not on either version.
It's really surprising that the western release wont have either Lunar game. Then again, I think the psx version was supposed to be the superior release anyway, still though.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's really surprising that the western release wont have either Lunar game. Then again, I think the psx version was supposed to be the superior release anyway, still though.
I am not an RPG person, but I can see where fans are upset.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I was considering getting the mini-SNES because I was thinking about Link to the Past and wanting to replay it, but then I just installed the emulator on my laptop. And then I decided not to bother. I guess I just don't have enough nostalgia to play games from like 30 years ago.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I was considering getting the mini-SNES because I was thinking about Link to the Past and wanting to replay it, but then I just installed the emulator on my laptop. And then I decided not to bother. I guess I just don't have enough nostalgia to play games from like 30 years ago.
That is one of the big reasons why the Sega mini 2 price is unacceptably high for me. I want it and its a cool thing but with emulation, its not a cool enough thing for the price.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Got it and the NES. I mess with them on occasion. Can I assume you can use a 360 controller to play them on emulator?

With the consoles, I get the fun of using a simulated OG NES and SNES controller.

As my pile of shame is gargantuan, I have not made nearly the use of them I'd like to. Maybe when I'm retired in a few years.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Got it and the NES. I mess with them on occasion. Can I assume you can use a 360 controller to play them on emulator?

With the consoles, I get the fun of using a simulated OG NES and SNES controller.

As my pile of shame is gargantuan, I have not made nearly the use of them I'd like to. Maybe when I'm retired in a few years.
I've got the nes, snes, genesis 1 and neo geo minis and have only barely used any of them. I played with the snes mini some, but that was on my old tv setup and my sound bar did weird things with the sound effects.

But yeah, the minis are things I really like, but are mainly just cool shelf things for me.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I've got the nes, snes, genesis 1 and neo geo minis and have only barely used any of them. I played with the snes mini some, but that was on my old tv setup and my sound bar did weird things with the sound effects.

But yeah, the minis are things I really like, but are mainly just cool shelf things for me.
They really are fun to have. Genesis is intriguing.

N64, Dreamcast and PS2 minis may be hard to resist. OG Xbox? Still having fun with that library on new systems so not a priority. And I do play Xbox games on PC with a 360 controller.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
They really are fun to have. Genesis is intriguing.

N64, Dreamcast and PS2 minis may be hard to resist. OG Xbox? Still having fun with that library on new systems so not a priority. And I do play Xbox games on PC with a 360 controller.
I can certainly think of things I would want on an N64 and PS2 mini, not a ton on the Dreamcast though, but it really wasn't one of my main consoles. Outside of Halo 1/2, I can't think of anything really exclusive to the xbox that I would really want on a mini. And I already have the MCC for Halo.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I pre-ordered the Sega Genesis Mini 2 on Thursday last week. It's expected to be delivered to me between November 1st and November 10th. What sucks is Amazon prime doesn't cover shipping on this item.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not a ton on the Dreamcast
  • Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
  • House of the Dead 2
  • Crazy đźš•
  • Soul Calibur
  • SF III: 3rd Strike
  • Power Stone 2
  • RE: Code Veronica
  • Dynamite Cop
  • PSO: Episode I & II
  • Zombie Revenge
  • Rez
  • Ikaruga
  • Bangai-O
  • Jet Set Radio
  • Cannon Spike
  • Carrier
  • Sega Bass Fishing
  • Skies of Arcadia
  • Seaman
  • Virtua Fighter 3

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
  • Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
  • House of the Dead 2
  • Crazy đźš•
  • Soul Calibur
  • SF III: 3rd Strike
  • Power Stone 2
  • RE: Code Veronica
  • Dynamite Cop
  • PSO: Episode I & II
  • Zombie Revenge
  • Rez
  • Ikaruga
  • Bangai-O
  • Jet Set Radio
  • Cannon Spike
  • Carrier
  • Sega Bass Fishing
  • Skies of Arcadia
  • Seaman
  • Virtua Fighter 3
I mean, most of those have better versions elsewhere. Like, I have Skies of Arcadia on the GC and I think its a better version, House of the dead 2 and Sonic adventure 1/2 have been ported everywhere. I doubt they would do PSO since that would require servers, Seaman would only work with a mic added. I think the only ones there that haven't been ported everywhere are Power Stone 1/2, Zombie Revenge, Carrier and Virtua Fighter 3.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean, most of those have better versions elsewhere. Like, I have Skies of Arcadia on the GC and I think its a better version, House of the dead 2 and Sonic adventure 1/2 have been ported everywhere. I doubt they would do PSO since that would require servers, Seaman would only work with a mic added. I think the only ones there that haven't been ported everywhere are Power Stone 1/2, Zombie Revenge, Carrier and Virtua Fighter 3.
While true, most of the original versions are still good. The PSO games you can actually play offline, but I get what you mean. Seaman I forgot requires a microphone. Dynamite Cop never got ported to any other consoles either. The crazy taxi Port that came out on 6th generation consoles are almost about the same, but run slightly better. The HD versions lost the music license. Soul Calibur HD exist, but it stuck on 7th generation consoles.

It would still be a great list of games to play and put on the mini console. That would be a definite buy for me. I admit that I would literally get it just for Dynamite Cop, Cannon Spike, Soul Calibur, and Power Stone.