Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Lets start out with some Harry Potter ones.

-Voldemort is a terrible villain.

Firstly Voldemort is ridiculously incompetent for someone we should all believe is very dangerous. Harry and co could have been dead countless of times if Voldemort hadn't gone out of his way to put all sorts of restrictions on his forces. Its very common for the Death Eaters to have Harry dead to rights only to freak out about having to deal the final blow. Aside from that Voldemort seems to fail at just about everything he sets out to do. His spells keep backfiring on him when facing Harry, he's made to flee by Dumbledore, and getting his hands on the McGuffin of each book either fails or backfires horribly for him.
Also, let's not forget that he's so incompetant he had a BABY dead to rights and somehow failed to pull off the assasination. How you do you fuck up killing a baby? Babies can easily kill themselves if not properly Supervised.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I dunno, I think Rowling should be on a list of required study for anyone wanting to be famous. The way she set her reputation and goodwill on fire and threw it out of a bus window is impressive. Also, maybe Chrissy Teigen, and to an extent Chris Rock.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Chris Rock.
Chris Rock is actually still doing fine. He was even offered the host the Oscars again for next year, but he declined. He still get jobs, and not completely hated by everyone. At this point Will Smith and Jada Smith are more in trouble compared to him. Chris Rock got off super easily, because he's been such a big sport about it and took that slap like a champ.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Chris Rock is actually still doing fine. It was even offered the host the Oscars again for next year, but he declined.
Ah, but apparently he made a joke about doing it again being like Nicole Brown Simpson going back to the place she was murdered. A lot of people suddenly started to view the slap very differently.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ah, but apparently he made a joke about doing it again being like Nicole Brown Simpson going back to the place she was murdered. A lot of people suddenly started to view the slap very differently.
Do you have a source for this? This is the first time I heard anything about it. Sounds out of character for Chris Rock. "A lot of people" you can't count on for shit. I'm still viewing the slap in the same light as it was before. I don't know if this next thing is true or not, but that doesn't absolve of what Will Smith did. Nor how Jada handled the situation either.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I dunno, I think Rowling should be on a list of required study for anyone wanting to be famous. The way she set her reputation and goodwill on fire and threw it out of a bus window is impressive. Also, maybe Chrissy Teigen, and to an extent Chris Rock.
I feel like Rowling should be studied, but more on how dangerous group think and jumping to conclusions can be.

From what I recall the main things that got her labeled transphobic was saying that “people who menstruate” use to be called women (not that only women who menstruate are actually women).

Thinking that it is a bad idea to allow male prisoners/criminals to be treated as female, as in sent to a women’s prison/cellblock solely on the basis of them claiming that they identify as a woman when arrested.

And there was thinking that it was a bad idea to make it so that someone as young as sixteen can legally change their gender by saying they identify as the opposite gender then signing a pledge that they would live as that gender for the rest of their lives or face up to two years in prison.

People online read subtext that wasn’t there, jumped in a hate bandwagon and started sending her rape and death threats. Then they decided that any negative aspect of any of her characters or parts of her worlds that they didn’t personally agree with were proof positive that she was a racist, transphobic, homophobic, xenophobic, woman-hating bigot.

I saw people claiming that having a black character with the last name Shacklebolt was racist. As was having an Irish character named Seamus and a Chinese character named Cho.

They claimed Hogwarts having an enchantment (placed hundreds of years earlier) preventing boys from entering a girl’s dormitory as proof that Rowling was transphobic.

They claimed that scenes that only existed in the damn movies was proof that she was racist.

Even her choice of a pseudonym was declared “obvious” proof that she was little better than a Nazi.

The whole thing strikes me as people being as mean, hateful, intolerant and bigoted as the ones they oppose.

Reactions: Hawki

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I feel like Rowling should be studied, but more on how dangerous group think and jumping to conclusions can be.

From what I recall the main things that got her labeled transphobic was saying that “people who menstruate” use to be called women (not that only women who menstruate are actually women).
Ah, but when she was called out on that she took every opportunity to double down on it, hard.

Now, sure, there's lots of angry ranting, but also she's got a lot of legitimate criticisms, on major and minor issues as well. Though, partly that was because the books were big and widely read so more widely criticised.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Admittedly, I've no idea how true or exaggerated this is, but I think it's still a useful example of how you can open your mouth and lose your position of sympathy.
I don't trust nor like TMZ, but this looks like one of the few times they're not acting like the paparazzi disguise as news like they usually are. I'll keep it under advisement, but Chris Rock should have known better if this is the true case. I am not offended by this joke, but Rock should have just kept his mouth shut on that one.

They claimed Hogwarts having an enchantment (placed hundreds of years earlier) preventing boys from entering a girl’s dormitory as proof that Rowling was transphobic.

They claimed that scenes that only existed in the damn movies was proof that she was racist.

Even her choice of a pseudonym was declared “obvious” proof that she was little better than a Nazi
I stopped caring for Harry Potter when I was about 12 or 13. You definitely have big points there, but JK was not helping.

People online read subtext that wasn’t there, jumped in a hate bandwagon and started sending
If that was a case, she should have made it clear. Let alone being all freaking Twitter about it. Most people don't read subtext, nor text of any variety over half the time on that piece of crap site. And from what I remember, Rowling's interviews afterwards; she definitely wasn't helping herself, nor clarifying the issue better. If anything, she made it worse and double downed on her stances.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Kingdom Come is nothing more than Mark Waid's forum post about how Superman is cooler than Spawn.

What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way is a morally confused story that traffics in racist stereotypes and is motivated solely by insecurity about other heroes selling better than Superman. If it were written by Frank Miller no one would have an issue seeing it for what it is.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I saw people claiming that having a black character with the last name Shacklebolt was racist. As was having an Irish character named Seamus and a Chinese character named Cho.
See, to me this sounds more like a clash of cultural baggage. Like I've never though much about Kingsley's surname - mainly because he was a dull ass non-entity - but I can only assume its meant to be a sort of tough guy cop name. Cos that's what Kingsley is, a (deeply ineffectual) cop. And no one gives much of a shit in Britain because it has entirely different baggage in regards to the slave trade compared to America.

As of Seamus, well, jokes aside I'm pretty sure I could spit twenty feet in any direction in central Dublin and hit three or four men with that name. Also Irish is nationality, so that accusation falls on its face.

Now, Cho Chang. To my knowledge, Cho is Asian certainly but she's mainly Scottish. And my only criticism there is I'm pretty sure both Cho and Chang are family names, but Asian naming conventions are something I find utterly fucking impenetrable on a good day so

But this is all so much fluff and hot air. The culprit of this bullshit is Twitter. Because you cannot do nuance in 140 characters. Its fucking impossible. If Twitter were to be Infinity Gauntlet snapped out of existence tomorrow the quality of human conversation will improve ten fold.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Now, Cho Chang. To my knowledge, Cho is Asian certainly but she's mainly Scottish. And my only criticism there is I'm pretty sure both Cho and Chang are family names, but Asian naming conventions are something I find utterly fucking impenetrable on a good day so
*googles*

"Cho Chang is a Chinese character, and yet her name is made up of a Korean surname (Cho) and Chinese surname (Chang, which is also the romanization of a Korean surname too)."

Though I think a lot of the complaints stemmed from that character varying between pointless and annoying.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
That’s assuming her parents followed Asian naming conventions. They may have given her two surnames as a way of honoring both sides of their family, or to honor a close friend that was killed.