The Alarm Is Sounding On NFTs

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
After speaking to many crypto bros, it seems to me that they do not truly yearn for freedom. They yearn to be the boot.
That's generally my experience of libertarians, too. Although they like to salve their consciences that it's not exploitation and dominance if the little guy signed a contract.

Reactions: CM156 and BrawlMan

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
After speaking to many crypto bros, it seems to me that they do not truly yearn for freedom. They yearn to be the boot.
That's indistinguishable. Crypto sits alongside the dozen other get-rich-quick schemes that make up 20th Century capitalism: shameless exploitation and grifting targeted towards those who had the foolishness to fall for it early enough.

Reactions: CM156 and BrawlMan

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Been enjoying reading the comments on the Kickstarter for this.

So they made 420% of the money they asked for. And they explicitly stated in their pitch that if the game went unreleased, backers would be refunded...

...and now the crypto market has crashed, in which they'd stupidly tied up so much funding, they have nothing left and are telling backers that they cannot refund them.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
So they made 420% of the money they asked for.
And then they blazed through it, heh-heh, heh-heh.

...they have nothing left and are telling backers that they cannot refund them.
And, well, as scummy as that sounds, people need to remember that Kickstarter is an investment avenue, not a storefront. Sometimes investments don't get a return.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Yep. Every time I back something on Kickstarter, it comes with the implicit understanding that I might've just set my money on fire, and outside of deliberate, actual fraud, I'm not seeing it ever again. Tying the game to crypto investments is just one of the many "legitimate" business decisions that can kill a project. Judging from the article, the *main* problem was a huge amount of feature creep, which is not uncommon for over-funded projects, that they looked to crypto investors to pay for

Reactions: BrawlMan

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
And, well, as scummy as that sounds, people need to remember that Kickstarter is an investment avenue, not a storefront. Sometimes investments don't get a return.
Except it's not investment. It's worse than that, because what it's about is persuading people often without significant means to throw money at companies in return for... approximately nothing.

Hence how Oculus Rift got millions from Kickstarter backers, and yet when bought by Facebook for ~1000x that amount, the backers got... nothing at all. If they'd bought shares, how much would they have got? 10-100 times their investment, maybe? Thus one could argue Kickstarter is a way for savvy businessmen to exploit the general public, instead of having to deal with a venture capitalist who'd take a slice of the pie.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
it is still a safer investment than buying a coin to finance investment for something that might make the coin usable later. Like nearly all other crypto games do. Kickstarter at least has some safeguards.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
It would be very weird for a cryptographic signature attached to a link to a GIF to somehow manage to be a sex pest.
It would be an awkward achievement yep! Though I mean to be referring to the famous performers, not the NFTs in this case. 😉

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines

This is horrible. Like... I guess making some money is better than making no money but it's impossible for me to imagine people suggesting this stuff as anything other than a worse version of the monopoly guy.
As a Filipino, I hope he slips on a banana peel and plants his asshole squarely on a pinecone that will also give him herpes. Genuinely, what a fucking loser.