Queen Elizabeth II, Longest Reigning Monarch of England/UK, Dies

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
She personally drove the Saudi Crown Prince on the tour of the grounds, at a time when women were not allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia.

That's pretty baller.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
This is a strange thing for me. Not because I have a particular like or dislike of the Royal family but because like Ford Australia, Holden and Video Shops, the Queen was always there. On the back of coins, on banknotes, on the news and at or involved in regular events. And now that she’s gone I find the world is just that little less familiar.
Yeah, was trying to express how I feel about this, this sums it up.

With her less popular son succeeding her, wonder how many countries will decide to become Republics.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yeah, was trying to express how I feel about this, this sums it up.

With her less popular son succeeding her, wonder how many countries will decide to become Republics.
On a slightly related noted, Aren't Scotland and Northern Ireland making noises about splitting off and becoming independent(Though I can imagine it might mean Irish Unification in their case)? I don't know how that works honestly or if this will have any effect at all. This might not be the proper place for that discussion.

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
On a slightly related noted, Aren't Scotland and Northern Ireland making noises about splitting off and becoming independent? I don't know how that works honestly or if this will have any effect at all.
Scots are trying again, mainly due to brexit, but the government isn't letting them, so who knows what will happen there. Northern Ireland is a distant prospect, but brexit also massively screwed them over and their politic is complicated, to put it charitably, so who the fuck knows. It would probably be simpler for them to split and rejoin Ireland, but that would incredibly complicated both technically and politically.

But overall it has nothing to do with it really, technically the sovereign has a lot of power, but in reality its just ceremonial position.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
They've turned the music off at the gym. It's what she would have wanted?

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Im not sure how to feel about this. On one hand, she served in WW2 and that's cool. On another, she's a royal. She's superior to all of us. Everyone you've ever met, she was born superior to. She is Your Highness and Your Majesty. By dint of her blood she was the head of a church and technically the ruler of an entire nation.
We're in the middle of a vast renaissance of human rights, trans and gays and non-binaries and squirrels and what the fuck else. But we still have Royals. Homo Sapien Royalus, the superior human.
And so many people who believe in equality are going to be mourning her and wondering which of her superior offspring gets to be king by Royal decree of them being a superior human being to you.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
But overall it has nothing to do with it really, technically the sovereign has a lot of power, but in reality its just ceremonial position.
While that is true, it's not a trivial thing in public consciousness. I dare say it would have changed, at least somewhat, the results of the Scottish independence referendum if Charles was king.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Honest to god my immediate reaction was "oh there's gonna be some fuckin dude on the coin now?" I actually have one of those collections of Canadian bills where you can see E2 get steadily older in the portraits. I don't really want to do that with C3, but I don't think there would be many portrait updates anyway.

On one hand, I can't really take time off right now with project deadlines, on the other hand, 8 hours of STAT time would take the edge off some budgets. Here's hoping for getting a holiday out of this.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I can understand why there are those who utterly despise her, but I am genuinely confused why someone, in this day and age, would care about her.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
I can understand why there are those who utterly despise her, but I am genuinely confused why someone, in this day and age, would care about her.
She was the head of state for 70 years of a nation that's on the UN Security Council.
Can any other world leader say the same?

Reactions: Dalisclock

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
She was the head of state for 70 years of a nation that's on the UN Security Council.
Can any other world leader say the same?
I don't mean care in the sense of importance, more of affection. Like the way people idolize celebrities.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
That's the map that showed up when I Googled "British Empire in 1952". If it's wrong, I blame Google.
Yeah, Google does have a lot to answer for ...

Also pretty sure Australia and Canada, although having very close ties, weren't chained to us, they had flown the imperial nest so to speak.