• Total voters

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
"Man of Steel is the worse Superman movie ever, and it didn't understand the character of Superman"
Honestly, most common audiences like Man of Steel fine. It did excellent in theaters, and the haters are an obnoxiously loud vocal minority made up of the usual suspects: Nostalgia Critic & most ex-Channel Awesome content creators, old snobby film critics, Movie Bob, Cinema Sins, Honest Trailers, YoVideoGames Crew (they're the least bad with it, but most of them either undermine some of DCEU accomplishments or try to pass off most of the films' as "average" [mainly Simmons]) and blind Chris Reeve fan boys/girls. The movie did great in theaters and home video. I know when Batman V. Superman had a worse reception, some of those MoS haters started looking at the latter in a better light or doubled down.

Last edited:

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Honestly, most common audiences like Man of Steel fine. It did excellent theaters, and the haters are an obnoxiously loud vocal minority made up of the usual suspects: Nostalgia Critic & most ex-Channel Awesome content creators, old snobby film critics, Movie Bob, Cinema Sins, Honest Trailers, YoVideoGames Crew (they're the least bad with it, but most of them either undermine some of DCEU accomplishments or try to pass off most of the films as "average" [mainly Simmons]) and blind Chris Reeve fan boys/girls. The movie did great in theaters and home video. I know when Batman V. Superman had a worse reception, some of those MoS haters started looking at the latter in a better light or doubled down.
These guys needs to watch Superman III again

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
These guys needs to watch Superman III again
Good luck with getting almost any of them to do that, and even if they did:

• Honest Trailer would handout backhanded compliments to Man of Steel and find a reason to hate it and the fans. Ditto for Cinema Sins.
  • YoVideoGames would agree with you, but still say Man of Steel is a bad Superman film. The nicest thing they're going to say is calling MoS the best live action DBZ movie ever made.
  • Movie Bob would try to pull some gas lighting bullshit about how Superman III was at least "supposed to be campy and fun". Or he, and the snobby old film critics & blind Reeve fans will say III & IV "don't count".
  • Nostalgia Critic and most of the ex-Channel Awesome reviewers.... Fuck them. A majority of them are hypocritical assholes. The only ones like or have any respect for are Linkara and Bennett. Bennett was actually one of the few defenders for MoS.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, I'm fine with saying Superman III and IV and Man of Steel were all bad, but the latter one in a very different way to the former 2. I'm also not that fussed on Superman I or II, but give them a pass, I guess.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Ravers (Prime, rental)
Tainted energy drink at a secret rave makes some drugged up ppl lose their shit in various ways. OCD germaphobe protag must survive and escape with her newfound lesbian love interest. At first this seemed like it was going to be a dark comedy, but it either gave up on humour after the first scene or the jokes were just so poor they failed to register as attempts at all. It teased at being a more interesting film with the way the ravers didn't all turn evil or zombified, instead claiming whatever drugs they're already on affect the behavioural outcome of the tainted puffy-eyed plebs so only some are dangerous while others just seem to become obsessed by whatever dopamine sources they were already chasing. There's "the one black guy" who is hustling and dealing and eventually stabbing his way through ppl, which felt kinda awkward but am going by Occam's razor to not assume intentional malice here. Other than that it's pretty mid, rather an uneven scatty mid.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Good luck with getting almost any of them to do that, and even if they did:

• Honest Trailer would handout backhanded compliments to Man of Steel and find a reason to hate it and the fans. Ditto for Cinema Sins.
  • YoVideoGames would agree with you, but still say Man of Steel is a bad Superman film. The nicest thing they're going to say is calling MoS the best live action DBZ movie ever made.
  • Movie Bob would try to pull some gas lighting bullshit about how Superman III was at least "supposed to be campy and fun". Or he, and the snobby old film critics & blind Reeve fans will say III & IV "don't count".
  • Nostalgia Critic and most of the ex-Channel Awesome reviewers.... Fuck them. A majority of them are hypocritical assholes. The only ones like or have any respect for are Linkara and Bennett. Bennett was actually one of the few defenders for MoS.
Don't forget RedLetterMedia.

You have no idea how much I stopped watching most of those people after Man of Steel (And the Hobbit movies) because I feel they are a mix of being generally wrong, and aging boomers that can't let go of Reeve's Superman. And heck I'm guilty of the latter too but I am self aware of it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Honestly, most common audiences like Man of Steel fine. It did excellent in theaters, and the haters are an obnoxiously loud vocal minority made up of the usual suspects: Nostalgia Critic & most ex-Channel Awesome content creators, old snobby film critics, Movie Bob, Cinema Sins, Honest Trailers, YoVideoGames Crew (they're the least bad with it, but most of them either undermine some of DCEU accomplishments or try to pass off most of the films' as "average" [mainly Simmons]) and blind Chris Reeve fan boys/girls. The movie did great in theaters and home video. I know when Batman V. Superman had a worse reception, some of those MoS haters started looking at the latter in a better light or doubled down.
Oooh, I'll bite. For context I've never seen a Reeve Superman film, and have no reverence or attachment to the character.

Man of Steel is a bad film, and its badness has little to do with whether it understands the character or being a good Superman film. Man of Steel is a bad film because it's atrociously paced, superbly stupidly written, pretentious, hollow, subtle as a brick with its symbolism, takes itself way too seriously which leads to ton of unintentional comedy, scattershotly edited, brimming with missed potential in favor of Hollywood cliches, structurally completely incoherent, and it's obviously chasing trends that were well dated by its release date. And I say all of this as someone who was initially part of that common audience that liked the movie just fine. Only on a second watch many years later did I see it for the turd that it is. When discussing it with friends I said "I found it pretty badass when I first watched it, and I still think it's quite badass... meaning that it was ass, and bad by even the standards of ass", which felt incredibly satisfying.

In other movies:

Nope, 8/10

Jordan Peele's latest offering is certainly something, I dare say no one in Hollywood is currently making these kinds of tonal and genre mashup films as well as Peele. It's a drama, it's a sort of comedy, it's a horror film, it's social commentary, and the collision of all these definitely works. There's some superb tension and really disturbing imagery, yet it's always restrained and shows just enough to make the viewer's mind race and fill in the blanks without ruining the mystery. It actually reminded me of Under the Skin in that regard, but this movie is much less abstract. The chemistry between Daniel Kaluuya and Keke Palmer is great, and you really get the sense of siblinghood between them. There's some really clever reincorporation and implementation of initially seemingly irrelevant subplots into the central themes, and I feel this movie definitely warrants a second watch. The cinematography is also top notch with really clever uses of framing and focus which helps a ton with the mystery. The climax was genuinely fantastic.

It maybe takes a bit to get going, but I feel all of that setup may prove perfectly warranted on a second watch. Having listened to a podcast discussing it a bit, there's a ton of themes and commentary to dig into here, which is why I'm probably going to watch it again.

Titane, batshit crazy/10

I knew this only as the "movie about the woman having sex with her car" that just happened to win the Palm D'or, so my curiosity was piqued to say the least. I'm still kind of reeling from this movie, because it's such a relentless car crash (see what I did there?) of tones and genres that my immediate reaction upon the end credits was incredulous, involuntary laughter. It certainly holds your attention and it's never boring, but it can be a bit hard to parse what the movie's going for. To me it registered as a pitch-black, fucked up dark comedy, but I wouldn't fault anyone for thinking it's not funny at all. I was squirming in my seat on multiple occasions, so it's definitely not for the faint of heart. The acting's great, the gruesome stuff is properly gruesome, and it's also definitely a film you can interpret in a lot of ways. I'm having a bit of a hard time giving it a score because it's so out there and I found the ending a bit underwhelming, but what I was wanting from it was not what the film was about anyway, so that's down to personal taste.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The Name of the Rose

Probably the best adaptation you could make of the book, which as I recall is 95% philosophical pondering. Se7en owes a massive debt to this movie, as it also does the seven grisly themed slayings over a week, Christian Medieval overtones et al. Eco wasn't as interested in the thriller whodunit aspect of his story though, and William isn't as successful a sleuth in the book. The ending suffers the biggest change - it gets the Hollywood treatment, although to be fair the bleakness of the movie and its haunting atmosphere doesn't quite go away for it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oooh, I'll bite. For context I've never seen a Reeve Superman film, and have no reverence or attachment to the character.

Man of Steel is a bad film, and its badness has little to do with whether it understands the character or being a good Superman film. Man of Steel is a bad film because it's atrociously paced, superbly stupidly written, pretentious, hollow, subtle as a brick with its symbolism, takes itself way too seriously which leads to ton of unintentional comedy, scattershotly edited, brimming with missed potential in favor of Hollywood cliches, structurally completely incoherent, and it's obviously chasing trends that were well dated by its release date. And I say all of this as someone who was initially part of that common audience that liked the movie just fine. Only on a second watch many years later did I see it for the turd that it is. When discussing it with friends I said "I found it pretty badass when I first watched it, and I still think it's quite badass... meaning that it was ass, and bad by even the standards of ass", which felt incredibly satisfying.
I remember you stating your opinion before. At least you have the decency not to belittle or insult others for liking the movie. You already have my respect the first time around. I will admit while it does go a little slow, and meanders a bit in the middle, but once it gets going, it goes. I still say Batman Begins trots around too much and is too long for its own good.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
So I have kind of fallen off of the Marvel train, recently. Since Endgame, the MCU has felt kind of... aimless. Like, I know that they are really building up to Kang, and messing around with all sorts of multi-verse shenanigans, but with the exception of Loki, nothing is really there to tie everything together, like the Infinity Stones did for Phases 1-3.

Which I guess brings me onto Thor: Love and Thunder, which stands to be the only MCU movie that I haven't watched at the cinema, other than Captain America: The First Avenger. I finally caught it on Disney+ and, well, I don't think I missed much.

I quite liked Thor: Ragnarok when it came out, but subsequent rewatches have made me less and less into that film's particular brand of humour. Unfortunately for me, then, Love and Thunder basically doubles down on it, but only about 25% of its jokes landed, for me.

It wasn't all bad, though. Christian Bale was great, and I surprisingly liked Natalie Portman's return as Jane Foster/Mighty Thor. The licensed music fit really well, and the action was generally good, too.

But the film just felt so tonally bizarre.

One thing that really stood out as odd to me, was who the film's target audience was supposed to be. At one point, a character repeatedly brings up the existence of a massive God orgy. But then later on, there is a massive child power fantasy moment where Thor gives a load of kids his powers to fight a battle, and it just reminded me (in all of the wrong ways) of this "kids eat your vegetables" advert here in the UK

Also the kid actor who played Axel/Astrid was just really bad.

Overall, I would give this movie a below average 4/10.

So far, Phase 4 has been a massive disappointment.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Elite KIllers, a Jason Statham thing.
I pulled it up on IMDB, and saw this:

1662984974814.png

And immediately thought to my myself: "I know I've not seen this movie, but I really feel like I've seen this movie." Didn't even bother to watch the trailer; I get it.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I pulled it up on IMDB, and saw this:

View attachment 6976

And immediately thought to my myself: "I know I've not seen this movie, but I really feel like I've seen this movie." Didn't even bother to watch the trailer; I get it.
Feel someone should do a study so we can pinpoint the exact moment in time De Niro decided he'd be in any old shit.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Feel someone should do a study so we can pinpoint the exact moment in time De Niro decided he'd be in any old shit.
Probably the same thing that convinced Bruce Willis to do this:

1662989892434.png

"For these projects, Willis would often earn $2 million for two days' work at an average of 15 minutes' screentime per film."

He has now retired from acting because of a brain condition - so I am curious if that impacted his decision making, or he just saw a nice retirement plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawki

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Probably the same thing that convinced Bruce Willis to do this:

View attachment 6977

"For these projects, Willis would often earn $2 million for two days' work at an average of 15 minutes' screentime per film."

He has now retired from acting because of a brain condition - so I am curious if that impacted his decision making, or he just saw a nice retirement plan.
I imagine one fed into the other.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
About half way through The Batman, and aside from Pattinson’s interpretation of Bruce reminding me of The Crow a bit too much, it’s been decidedly pleasing to watch so far in terms of performances and tone. Considering Bale’s take on the iconic character spawned this, at least Edward Robert’s Batman should escape a similar ribbing.

I mostly know of Jeffrey Wright from some of the Bond movies and Westworld but he works equally well and gets to flex more humanity here as James Gordon. Then to my biggest surprise, Colin Farrell pulls a penguin out of his ass pretty convincingly too. The others… I need to hold my thoughts until later. Zoë Kravitz is decidedly catlike and rocks awesome hair as Selina.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Thor: Love and Thunder.

Generally enjoyed it, though I pretty much had to turn my brain off to avoid asking a bunch of questions I knew the film didn't want me to ask, like:

-Why does everyone keep talking about going to Valhalla when Valhalla got destroyed in the last Thor movie? It's a physical place and it literally got blown up. Or maybe that was Asgard but I though Valhalla was part of that. Not to mention none of the viking stuff has been shown as metaphysical but actual real physical places and people and such. Hell, Valhalla is supposed to be where people got to PREPARE FOR RAGNAROK WHICH LITERALLY ALREADY HAPPENED! *INTERNAL SCREAMING*

-Why does New Asgard being a fucking theme park feel pretty shitty? Seriously, do the Asgardians want to be gawked by by idiot tourists arriving in cruise ships day in and day out? Don't answer that.

-Wait, everyone knows when they gods are getting whacked? LIke they can see their gods getting killed? It is it like god of war when everything breaks when the gods get killed? Does that apply to earth gods as well? Like when Gor kills Earth Gods do they leave corpses? Did all the greeks despair when Zeus died? I mean.....there were a LOT OF SOS's about dead gods in that one scene so apparently this ia a big problem except that nobody really seems to care except said gods otherwise because Marvel wants to keep playing the "Gods are Real" card but it has absolutely no impact on the world and universe except when it does.

-How come Jane can use the hammer and make it fix itself automatically? How does it give her god powers? How does SHE breathe in space? Or ist it all just magic hammer powers?

-Speaking of which, How does Gor take so much punishment for being a dude with a magic sword? He's not a god, hes's supposed to be a normal guy but the guy can take blows from god tier weapons like a fucking champ. Oh, god, the answer is "Magic Sword powers" isn't it?

-And If Gor has been doing this like for a very long time(Implied), why is he suddenly killing everyone NOW? Like this isn't even mentioned as an issue prior to now, though ironically it would make sense if Gor had killed a bunch of earths gods prior to this and that's why they seem absent(such as the greek pantheon being dead instead of Zeus being alive and kicking despite having a lack of followers on earth).

Okay, I'll shut up now about dumb questions because I know the movie just wants me to enjoy the Led Zeppelin and enjoy it. And I did when I wasn't trying to make any sense of it and just treat it like a giant cheeseball movie it's SOMETIMES tying to be when it's not hitting you with "Jane has terminal cancer. Feel sad now" and goes over to "Jane has the magic hammer. She has god powers now. WEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Also, the whole thing about Gor the god butcher sounds like something Kratos would be doing and the film feels like it's trying go super heavy on the pathos where we're supposed to feel he's totally jusified for whacking divinities left and right. And yes, most of the gods do seem to be jerks and probably did deserve to be taken out, but then again the movie treats this as a bad thing and apparently it ruins entire civilizations or something and I can't tell if I'm supposed to treat this seriously or not because the movie can't seem to decide if this is an existential crisis for religion and the universe in general or if I'm supposed to be listening to the 80's power ballads and just enjoying the ride.

Yeah, I know it's weird that I still enjoyed it despite complaining so much about it, because maybe the parts that worked, worked even if it's a tonal and thematic mess otherwise.