Nvidia announces RTX 4000 series - Promises big performance, even bigger prices

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

RTX 4080
  • Starts at $900 for 12GB G6X, $1200 for 16GB G6X, not counting any additional price gouging
  • Claimed as being 2-4x faster than 3080 Ti (2x faster in rasterization and 4x faster in raytracing)
  • Ostensibly launching in November, but just assume bots will snag up the vast majority

RTX 4090
  • $1600
  • 24GB G6X
  • Claimed 2-4x faster than 3090 Ti (2x faster in rasterization and 4x faster in raytracing)
  • Ostensibly launching on October 12th, but just assume bots will snag up the vast majority

The 4000 series is also supposed to more energy efficient compared to the 3000 cards.

DLSS 3:
DLSS 3 boosts performance up to 4x over brute force rendering and supports both GPU and CPU-limited games. In addition to upscaling, DLSS 3 now generates entirely new frames through the use of optical flow, motion vectors, and deep learning. 7 out of 8 pixels being rendered with DLSS 3 come from neural rendering. Unfortunately, it seems this feature will be 4000 series exclusive.

If it can deliver on those performance gains, then that is very impressive. But those price points tho. Fuck cryptobros for having helped normalize this price gouging.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I know what I'm getting for a new PC.

My aim is to get a PC that can play Total War: Warhammer 3 at optimum performance.

I want to be able to have 5000 number of models present in the Battles and the framerate won't dip below 60.

And fast loading times.

Reactions: gorfias

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Just so everyone's aware: According to JayzTwoCents and Gamers Nexus, the 12GB version of the 4080 also has two thousand fewer CUDA cores, but its marketing makes no mention of this. This isn't even the first time nVidia has done something like this.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Just so everyone's aware: According to JayzTwoCents and Gamers Nexus, the 12GB version of the 4080 also has two thousand fewer CUDA cores, but its marketing makes no mention of this. This isn't even the first time nVidia has done something like this.
Has there been some kind of efficiency improvement to justify their removal? I’m asking seriously.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
The performance improvements sound great, but it is all completely irrelevent because of the absurd pricing. Who is honestly going to buy these?

A 50% increase in MSRP over the 3080 for the 12GB 4080 is frankly appalling. Nvidia has just embraced and legitimised scalper pricing.

It is also really bizarre that both the 12GB 4080 and 16GB 4080 are advertised as 4080s, but one has more VRAM - except the 16GB card is just markedly better. That is really confusing.

Im just really curious as to what this price hike means for the upcoming 4070, and 4060 cards, seeing as these are usually the most popular. Can we expect a similar price increase for these?

Im no longer regretting my late 3080 purchase, that is for sure.

Hopefully AMD and Intel can bring us back to reality with their upcoming cards.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The performance improvements sound great, but it is all completely irrelevent because of the absurd pricing. Who is honestly going to buy these?

A 50% increase in MSRP over the 3080 for the 12GB 4080 is frankly appalling. Nvidia has just embraced and legitimised scalper pricing.

It is also really bizarre that both the 12GB 4080 and 16GB 4080 are advertised as 4080s, but one has more VRAM - except the 16GB card is just markedly better. That is really confusing.

Im just really curious as to what this price hike means for the upcoming 4070, and 4060 cards, seeing as these are usually the most popular. Can we expect a similar price increase for these?

Im no longer regretting my late 3080 purchase, that is for sure.

Hopefully AMD and Intel can bring us back to reality with their upcoming cards.
The 3080s had 10GB and 12GB models that weren’t the Ti and they were both just advertised as 3080s. But yeah, I can’t say I’m regretting my 3080 purchase either because in my currency you can add another 48% to those prices and fuck that for a game of soldiers.

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
The 3080s had 10GB and 12GB models that weren’t the Ti and they were both just advertised as 3080s.
Yes, but aside from the RAM increase, the two cards were mostly the same.

In addition to the extra RAM, the 16GB 4080 has 20% more CUDA cores than the 12GB model, and a larger memory bus.

It is basically a different card at this point.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yes, but aside from the RAM increase, the two cards were mostly the same.

In addition to the extra RAM, the 16GB 4080 has 20% more CUDA cores than the 12GB model, and a larger memory bus.

It is basically a different card at this point.
Touche.

I wonder if bullshit like this was part of the reason EVGA just noped out of dealing with nVidia.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
But yeah, I can’t say I’m regretting my 3080 purchase either because in my currency you can add another 48% to those prices and fuck that for a game of soldiers.
Especially when MSY have 3090 OCs out for AU$2k this week... I'd be tempted if I didn't have a hard rule not to pay more for a GPU than I paid for my current car.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Especially when MSY have 3090 OCs out for AU$2k this week... I'd be tempted if I didn't have a hard rule not to pay more for a GPU than I paid for my current car.
The sad thing is, even if I applied that rule retro actively, buying a 4090 still wouldn't have broken it XD

But yeah, unless these cards do amazing things or come with free lifetime supplies of hookers and blow, I'm not seeing the value add over the still kind of over priced 30 series.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
The sad thing is, even if I applied that rule retro actively, buying a 4090 still wouldn't have broken it XD
I'm not fussy about cars as long as they're mechanically sound... and I got my current ute just before the prices of used cars skyrocketed a few years back.

But yeah, unless these cards do amazing things or come with free lifetime supplies of hookers and blow, I'm not seeing the value add over the still kind of over priced 30 series.
Yeah, fucked if I know what I'm gonna do when I need to upgrade my current rig. Hopefully my RX580 keeps chugging along for a few more years because anything half decent is going to test my rule.

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Hmm, ceo of company says their products are priced fairly. Checks out.
“Moore’s Law is dead. […] A 12-inch wafer is a lot more expensive today. The idea that the chip is going to go down in price is a story of the past,” said Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang.
Im not really sure that anyone expected the prices to go down, or even stay where they were, but I don't think anyone really expected the price of the XX80 series to suddenly rise by 50%.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Hmm, ceo of company says their products are priced fairly. Checks out.
Jensen's had his head in that oven for too long; he seems to think it's 2016 again, where AMD is a joke and the economy isn't a burning dumpster. Or does he think that the "performance at all costs" crowd is going to carry his profit margin all by themselves?

Reactions: laggyteabag

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
They can unveil all the cards they want, not going to do much good if the supply shortages aren't overcome.

I bought my 3060 for about the RRP of a 3060 TI, and it's the minimum spec two fan MSI model, and it was a reasonably good price at the time. You still can't consistently find the card for under £400.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Jensen's had his head in that oven for too long; he seems to think it's 2016 again, where AMD is a joke and the economy isn't a burning dumpster. Or does he think that the "performance at all costs" crowd is going to carry his profit margin all by themselves?
Gonna be interesting to see what happens when AMD drops their 7000 series GPUs in November.