Well that escalated quickly...

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Some guy walks up to your car while you're parked, yells "Get out of the car", and tries to grab you; what do you do?

If you're not a moron, you have almost certainly done what this kid just did.

Last edited:

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
As far as I'm concerned the cop wasn't on duty. He didn't act as a police officer, so he should have no defense against being personally sued into oblivion before being thrown in prison until his bones turn to dust.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
To expand on what I said, I meant this incident . Last week officers cuffed a suspect in the back of their patrol vehicle, which was parked on a train crossing. It was promptly hit by a frieght train, cuffed suspect and all.

Edit: thanks hyperlink, you're an asshole

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
To expand on what I said, I meant this incident . Last week officers cuffed a suspect in the back of their patrol vehicle, which was parked on a train crossing. It was promptly hit by a frieght train, cuffed suspect and all.

Oh, so they didn't do it on purpose, they just were stupid enough to park their car on a level crossing and not notice the train coming? While that technically is better than doing it deliberately...the hell?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I had initially thought this video was a parody when I first saw it because it plays out like one with how fast it goes from 0 to 60. But then again, even a parody video would have had the officer at least provide some kind of false justification.

Edit: Also here's some more information on how the situation is going.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So, are cops in America like horses - one small thing jumpscares them and they instantly freak the fuck out? Except with guns.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
So, are cops in America like horses - one small thing jumpscares them and they instantly freak the fuck out? Except with guns.
Depends on the cop. The one in this case was probationary, so he was still pretty fresh out of training.

Edit: Just to clarify in case; I say this as an explanation not an excuse. Regardless of the reason, this was very much a bad thing this guy did.

Last edited:

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020

Yeah I saw that the other day and it's astounding the woman managed to survive at all, the bodycam footage is frightening, must've been truly horrific to be her locked in that car as they all run off. Her lawyer mentioned they're going to sue, thankfully. But Christ in hell. Even when the police aren't directly trying to shoot you, they're still a liability.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Yeah I saw that the other day and it's astounding the woman managed to survive at all, the bodycam footage is frightening, must've been truly horrific to be her locked in that car as they all run off. Her lawyer mentioned they're going to sue, thankfully. But Christ in hell. Even when the police aren't directly trying to shoot you, they're still a liability.

Holy crap. Thank goodness she survived at least, but jeez, the experience.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
If you're wondering, the cop's initial reaction was to charge the kid with attacking and fleeing from the officer. Thank god for video

Reactions: BrawlMan

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
It's terribly easy to understand, once you remember these are testosterone-fueled (and quite often, roided out) bullies with inferiority complexes filled to the gills with chauvinistic, jingoistic propaganda about how any and every interaction with the general public, however minute and innocuous, could spiral into a full-on Wild West gunfight at any moment...and regardless whether the cop's on or off duty, they have to exist in a 24/7 state of complex post-traumatic hypervigilance or else one of the bad guys (read, a black dude) will get the jump on them and that's that. And, of course, everyone not wearing a badge is a potential hostile on a battlefield that consists of "anywhere".

Law enforcement certainly attracts a certain subset of person, but on the other hand, it's quite well documented cop training in the United States is less training, and more cyclical abuse to strip even well-meaning citizens of their humanity, and transform them into crazed gunmen ready to snap.

Now, with regards to the incident itself...

Just with a quick glance, I counted attempted carjacking, criminal intimidation, assault with a deadly weapon, and attempted first-degree murder given the cop already confessed to intent before the fact -- as if the confession was necessarily, it was clear from the video the cop had no intent of a peaceable stop. And Texas is a state that extends the castle doctrine to personal vehicles, just saying...

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It's terribly easy to understand, once you remember these are testosterone-fueled (and quite often, roided out) bullies with inferiority complexes filled to the gills with chauvinistic, jingoistic propaganda about how any and every interaction with the general public, however minute and innocuous, could spiral into a full-on Wild West gunfight at any moment...and regardless whether the cop's on or off duty, they have to exist in a 24/7 state of complex post-traumatic hypervigilance or else one of the bad guys (read, a black dude) will get the jump on them and that's that. And, of course, everyone not wearing a badge is a potential hostile on a battlefield that consists of "anywhere".

Law enforcement certainly attracts a certain subset of person, but on the other hand, it's quite well documented cop training in the United States is less training, and more cyclical abuse to strip even well-meaning citizens of their humanity, and transform them into crazed gunmen ready to snap.
The LAPD released a training video, voluntarily and on purpose, showing their training method of shouting a question at a trainee, and if the trainee got it wrong or was unsure, they'd have the trainee beat on a mannequin with a nightstick for a bit, go get the blood rate up and simulate an actual fiend situation.

Lord only knows why they thought that would make them look reasonable instead of looking like they train their guys to resort to violence in unknown situations immediatly

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Can't speak for all jurisdictions, but in Miami they take the militarisation of the police to the extent that they have military style Drill Instructors to yell at trainees, complete with marching and the hats.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Can't speak for all jurisdictions, but in Miami they take the militarisation of the police to the extent that they have military style Drill Instructors to yell at trainees, complete with marching and the hats.
They're at war with the public.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
A symptom of having guns everywhere.
Actually not so much. Globally, the correlation between firearm ownership and availability, and firearm-related violent crime, is actually far weaker than anti-gun groups claim. It's actually number three, behind race and socioeconomic inequality as expressed by Gini coefficient. Race is its own complex set of issues, not least of which is racial disparity in income and (criminal and civil) justice outcomes. The latter being noteworthy here as we're discussing cop violence.

Second Amendment advocates particularly like to point out outlier countries with high firearms per capita but low firearm-related crime rate (usually, Canada and the Nordic countries), but the proof in the pudding is countries with low firearms per capita but high firearm-related crime rate. Mostly, that's Latin America and sub-Saharan Africa -- but it's not limited to countries wracked by civil conflict and organized crime. South Africa in particular with its combination of strict gun regulation, comparatively (at least to the countries that usually get attention) few firearms per capita, but disproportionately-high firearm homicide rate, tells the tale.

The distinction should be self-evident: those high firearms/low crime countries are in the economic North, and those low firearms/high crime countries are in the economic South. Meaning, high income inequality and poverty, unstable (or failing) government, social unrest, and resultingly, high crime.

Where the US fits into this, is it's an exorbitantly wealthy economic North country that's run like an economic South country. We're only an outlier if you compare firearms per capita to firearm-related crime rate; if you compare Gini coefficient to firearm-related crime rate, we're right on par.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Actually not so much. Globally, the correlation between firearm ownership and availability, and firearm-related violent crime, is actually far weaker than anti-gun groups claim. It's actually number three, behind race and socioeconomic inequality as expressed by Gini coefficient. Race is its own complex set of issues, not least of which is racial disparity in income and (criminal and civil) justice outcomes. The latter being noteworthy here as we're discussing cop violence.

Second Amendment advocates particularly like to point out outlier countries with high firearms per capita but low firearm-related crime rate (usually, Canada and the Nordic countries), but the proof in the pudding is countries with low firearms per capita but high firearm-related crime rate. Mostly, that's Latin America and sub-Saharan Africa -- but it's not limited to countries wracked by civil conflict and organized crime. South Africa in particular with its combination of strict gun regulation, comparatively (at least to the countries that usually get attention) few firearms per capita, but disproportionately-high firearm homicide rate, tells the tale.

The distinction should be self-evident: those high firearms/low crime countries are in the economic North, and those low firearms/high crime countries are in the economic South. Meaning, high income inequality and poverty, unstable (or failing) government, social unrest, and resultingly, high crime.

Where the US fits into this, is it's an exorbitantly wealthy economic North country that's run like an economic South country. We're only an outlier if you compare firearms per capita to firearm-related crime rate; if you compare Gini coefficient to firearm-related crime rate, we're right on par.
The TL: DR version: A symptom of having guns everywhere.