What are you currently playing?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Aces Wild: Brawling Manic Action - I forgot how tough this game is! This decade old game is like a cross between DMC and God Hand. There is a dynamic difficulty curve, and enemies will beat your ass, if you don't dodge properly. Fun game, but I am really rusty.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Beat the Darkest Dungeon on Radiant Mode with a bit of savescumming, but I'm not feeling completely satisfied so I've started the game on Bloodmoon difficulty. I've abandoned a couple runs already due to losing too many heroes too fast. The furthest I made it was losing 9/16 heroes by week 14/100. I just get too greedy, I need to learn to just abandon a run I know is going badly rather than try to finish and get a party wipe. My current run I've lost 4 party members (stupidly) and just finished the first Courtyard mission, holy cow that alligator was tough! This is my first time playing Crimson Court so I'm expecting the game is going to become even more BS than it was before, because that's kind of the defining trait of Darkest Dungeon. However, I'm determined. I will beat the game and all the bosses and then I can never play it again without it's mocking stare always on the back of my head.

I think the game will get easier once I've gotten my bank up and running. Right now I've been trying not to spend money too much so as not to mess with my investment, but once you have a couple hundred thousand you can start spending without too much of a setback.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So I've been playing stuff and Iz gots opinonz:

WARCRAFT III

I had to uninstall this to make room on my PC, but where I left off, I was in Ladder with a win rate of around 33%. Nowhere near the highs I reached with StarCraft II, but I doubt I have the reflexes to pull that off these days. Also, the Warcraft story I'm working on would have actually benefitted from keeping this game installed, since I'm up to writing a flashback that deals with the Siege of Dalaran, but meh.

DIABLO IMMORTAL

So not too long ago I gave what my final thoughts were on Diablo Immortal at the time. Having played some more, including through the Forgotten Nightmares update, this actually gives me some 'meat' to comment on, so on that note:

-I kind of touched on this before, but in terms of sheer content, DI has far more than the other Diablo games, and since I'm no longer constrained by character level to progress through the questline, there's less interruption. I'll say it again, the character level restriction on progression was a terrible idea.

-Fun fact, I beat Lord Martanos by arriving right at the end of the fight when two randoms had nearly finished up on him, but because I struck some blows, I got to share in the victory. That was...nice, but embarassing, and I told them as such. No response though, I assume/hope their loot/XP wasn't reduced from that.

-So I played through the Forgotten Nightmares update. Somehow I got to explore the expansion's dungeon alone, whereas before, you needed a partner to do so. For the record, I think that gating the no. of dungeons by players is a bad idea, at least if you're expanding that to all difficulties. Stuff like the warband and Helliquary, I can understand, but gating the main questline based on no. of players is a no-no.

That aside, overall, I really enjoyed the update - I was tempted to revise my score of Diablo Immortal to 4/5 as a result, but since once update doesn't nullfy all the issues I listed previously, and since I don't think I can really rank an update by itself (as opposed to, say, an expansion), the score remains the same. But looking at the update in isolation, here's my general thoughts:

1: I mentioned this earlier, but the voice acting is really, REALLY good. Again, like before, because you're dealing with isometric gameplay and still-portraits, it kind of has to be given the death of body language, but yeah. There were some moments where the voice acting made me really uncomfortable (in a good way, you're meant to be uncomfortable).

2: By extension, looking at the flashbacks of the Zakarum Crusade...yeah. I may as well cover this as a whole, but if we're looking at the questlines of Diablo Immortal individually, I think this might be the best one from a plot standpoint, or at least, a storytelling standpoint (and yes, plot and storytelling are different things, look it up). Up until now, we're obviously dealt with outright evil foes, but despite the isometric viewpoint, there's some genuinely uncomfortable moments, as we see the Zakarum paladins butcher the monks and whatnot.

3: That said, the expansion keeps on calling the "Sons of Rakkis" the "Children of Rakkis" here, and it seems to be part of a wider trend where single-gendered organizations are a no-go in fiction. I've debated this before, so I won't reiterate myself here, but it's just so silly. I could see thsi actually working if the game established that the people at Sentinel's Watch are the "Children of Rakkis," while the original order remains the "Sons of Rakkis," but the two turns are used interchangeably.

4: Said it before and I'll say it again, Diablo Immortal has the best combat in the series, and that really shines through in the final dungeon, not to mention the emotional stakes and themes involved. That said, I'm mixed on said themes. The story kind of pushes that both the Children of Rakkis and Sahptev are responsible for the Black Mist, and while that's TECHNICALLY true, given Slaydyn's actions, they're actions that would never have been required if Rakkis never invaded Ivgorod in the first place. It's like saying that if Bob punches Bill, and Bill punches back, Bob and Bill are morally equivalent. Still, there is some nice reflection on the nature of the crusades from Vereks, so there's that.

5: Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but Cain's mention of Justinian's impotence kind of foreshadows his impotence in Diablo III - he outright states that (paraphrased), things are bad, things are getting worse, and Westmarch is doing its best to ignore what's happening in the wider world. Oh, and as for the "old friend" he's bringing in, I'm going to stake my bet that it's Cassia. No real evidence to back this up, but if I'm right, I can come back to this and say I told you so, and if I'm wrong, well, I'm wrong.

So, yeah. The questline is short, but it's a solid one.

OVERWATCH 2

Similar to Diablo Immortal, I gave my thoughts on OW2 in a detailed post, so this can be considered an update to said thoughts. On one hand, some of the old issues no longer exist (e.g. queues), on the other, there's other issues that I'm more aware of. So I'm going to divide points as such:

GOOD

-Push is a lot of fun. It's so fun, in fact, that it makes Payload feel anemic by comparison. While I'd rather Assault still be in rotation, Push is easier the better mode. In fact, I'd argue it's the best mode in the game, period.

MEDIUM

-Earlier, I commented on the differences between 6v6 and 5v5. Having had more time to play the game, I'm actually going to come down and say that 5v5 is, on average, better. I mentioned earlier that because of the reduction to only one tank, some tanks might have been made obsolete (generally brawlers). Having played through numerous games at this point, that really isn't true, at least as far as I can tell. There's no clear link between certain tanks being in team comps and a win/loss rate, nor the occasions when I've been able to play as a tank.

This leads into the clinker - just how FUN the gameplay actually is. I've mentioned my issues with OW2, but in terms of moment-to-moment gameplay, it's just that much fun. It certainly helps that prior to installing OW2, I hadn't played it for quite awhile for a variety of reasons, so there's every chance that familiarity could breed contempt, but at this time of writing, it's easily more enjoyable than OW1.

-That being said, I still stand by my view that there should really be the option to play OW1 in its original form. From the principled viewpoint, if you're calling a game "2," there should be an option to play the game with the "1" (so to speak). From a more practical viewpoint, considering everything I've said about the moment-to-moment gameplay of OW2, it actually makes the case for me that there should be an option to play OW1, given how differently the two play. Even just for historical purposes.

THE BAD

The battle pass system is attrocious. I touched on this before, but now that I'm more familiar with how it works, I can spell out how it works, and why it's bad.

The battle pass is organized into about 50 levels, divided into 5 lots of 10. If you're on the free track, of every 10 levels, you get about 2 of every 10 for free, as you gain XP (so far, I'd say you need to play about 3 games per level, though the XP you get per match varies due to a variety of factors). Alternatively, if you pay $15 AUD (I think that comes to $10 USD), you get to purchase the battle pass, which gives you the right to unlock the paid track. So, even if you pay money, you still need to unlock the stuff you paid for. If you don't unlock all of it prior to the pass expiring, I don't know if it is added to your account or not, but yeah. Basically, it's paying for the 'right' to unlock things through grinding. Furthermore, even if you do this, every cosmetic you unlock will be the same as everyone else. If you want cosmetics outside the battle pass, you need to spend money on in-game currency to purchase them.

Now, all of this is cosmetic only, so it's something that can easily be avoided if you so choose. I should specify that with future heroes, you can either pay for the battle pass or unlock them immediately, or grind to level 50 and unlock them for free on the pass (apparently there'll be ways to unlock them beyond their respective battle pass), so on average, you'll need to play 150 matches to unlock a new hero, or pay $15 AUD to unlock said hero.

Overall, yeah. The battle pass system sucks. I've already explained why I preferred the lootboxes, but even if you prefer this system, I agree with the notion that the rewards should be in-game currency (at least in part) rather than set rewards. If you're paying for the 'right' to earn stuff, at least give people the means to buy what they want rather than have a paid track.

For my part, I'll probably use the money I originally set aside for OW2 to purchase battle passes that correspond to heroes (so, about two battle passes for Mauga and whoever's after him), but, yeah. Battle pass sucks. Normally I don't really care about this stuff, but going from OW1 (which gave free swag galore, in exchange for a P2P model) to OW2 (limited swag, in exchange for a F2P model), well, pick your pachimari I guess.

OVERALL

There's a review/retrospecitve series called "The Rise and Fall of Final Fantasy," where the reviewer comments on FF8 that, in regards to FF7, it feels like a "jump to the side," rather than being an objective improvement or decline from its predecessor. I bring this up because comparing OW2 to OW1, I feel like similar termonology could be used. There's a lot that OW2 improves on (gameplay), stuff that's downgraded (monetization), and various other things that feel needlessly removed (yes, I know Assault isn't technically removed, but still, I think there should be an option to play the original game in some form).

I guess if you really wanted to know if I think OW2 is better, I'd say yes, but only in a non-emotive sense. Namely, in the scale of gameplay vs. monetization, the better gameplay wins out, because the monetization can easily be ignored (for now - this could change depending on how easy it is to unlock heroes down the line). On a more subjective sense, I'm really uneasy calling OW2 "better," because for everything it does better than the original, it compromises on so much as well. And if the original was still playable, that wouldn't be such an issue, but as it is, now...well, the irony is that if you haven't played OW1, you'll probably enjoy this game more, because you don't have anything to compare it to. I'm holding off on actual ranking (since with multiplayer games, I can effectively rank them numerous times, whereas singleplayer games tend to get only one ranking upon completion), but bearing in mind that I don't do decimals, the non-emotive answer is 4/5, whereas the more emotive answer is 3/5.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Iron Harvest, complete console edition. Hm, nobody told me about this one, nary a passing whisper off a flea's glossy reproductables even. Was expecting an average RTS campaign throwing you straight into steampunk WW1 walker mech/tank battles amongst fairly interchangeable environments. But nooo, this game has got a goddamn story to tell, so sit your ass down and play this intro tutorial as a child fending off their bullies with snowballs, and then hunting, and then angry bears, and then you take in the recently orphaned bear cub you just orphaned who then grows up to be your best bear friend with a cute healing backpack setup omg! Oh and it's polish, which is still a breath of fresh air compared to being stuck around all these English/American speaking twats every other time.

And is all good so far, despite, or in spite of only having a controller. Only one small concern tho, whenever I pause the game, there's this half-second delay where the HUD disappears but the game still doesn't pause, so there's this heightened anxiety of not being able to do anything but helplessly watch if an enemy decides to fire a killing shot between my poor medic bear's eyes. What are you doing in that brief period, Iron Harvest? What sly mischief are you trying to smuggle past this nose that is more important than just instantly pausing the game??

Edit: oh apparently the game's aesthetic is Dieselpunk, not steampunk according to the wiki. Fucked if I know the difference tho. Spose it's the technology's energy source?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Iron Harvest, complete console edition. Hm, nobody told me about this one, nary a passing whisper off a flea's glossy reproductables even. Was expecting an average RTS campaign throwing you straight into steampunk WW1 walker mech/tank battles amongst fairly interchangeable environments.

Edit: oh apparently the game's aesthetic is Dieselpunk, not steampunk according to the wiki. Fucked if I know the difference tho. Spose it's the technology's energy source?
Pretty much. If the mechs use steam engines it's steampunk, if they use petroleum fueled engines, it's diesel punk.

Also something something stupid top hats with gears glued on them for steampunk.

There's also the movie steamboy, which uses handheld victorian era cold fusion reactors to power a steam powered death star. I'm only slightly joking. I like that film but the science is only science for a very, very broad definition of the word.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Pretty much. If the mechs use steam engines it's steampunk, if they use petroleum fueled engines, it's diesel punk.

Also something something stupid top hats with gears glued on them for steampunk.

There's also the movie steamboy, which uses handheld victorian era cold fusion reactors to power a steam powered death star. I'm only slightly joking. I like that film but the science is only science for a very, very broad definition of the word.
Am gonna need to be watching this "Steamboy" now you placed it upon my consciousness. It also conjours a unique image of an alternative universe Gameboy, where many kids must endure hand burns to be able to play their games.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Am gonna need to be watching this "Steamboy" now you placed it upon my consciousness. It also conjours a unique image of an alternative universe Gameboy, where many kids must endure hand burns to be able to play their games.
It's an Anime film from the guy who made Akira. It's super good looking though a bit padded at times. It's also got some great bits and Patrick Stewart going on about SCIENCE a lot.

Despite how silly it can get I do really like it

Last edited:

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I've gotten back to Borderlands 3 after getting a new PC. Finally I can run this game at an acceptable FPS. But I'm already feeling a bit trepidatious about continuing. I'm like level 10, and have already had like 4 legendary drops plus 2 in vending machines, and I've been mostly singleplayer. What incentive is there for co-op if the drops are this generous?

While I praised the sound design a few pages ago, the sounds have made me go "WTF is up with this mixing?" multiple times this time around. Not only do the guns sound weak, they sound straight up muted, like there's an invisible microphone picking up the sound, and the gunfire is peaking so loudly that the mic just erases it. There's no punch, no echo, no BOOM to almost any of the guns I've used so far. It was so bad that I started to wonder if it was an issue with the sound mix I had on. Then I went and checked with my previous lvl 57 character, and the sound was better by orders of magnitude.

Reactions: gorfias

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I've gotten back to Borderlands 3 after getting a new PC. Finally I can run this game at an acceptable FPS. But I'm already feeling a bit trepidatious about continuing. I'm like level 10, and have already had like 4 legendary drops plus 2 in vending machines, and I've been mostly singleplayer. What incentive is there for co-op if the drops are this generous?

While I praised the sound design a few pages ago, the sounds have made me go "WTF is up with this mixing?" multiple times this time around. Not only do the guns sound weak, they sound straight up muted, like there's an invisible microphone picking up the sound, and the gunfire is peaking so loudly that the mic just erases it. There's no punch, no echo, no BOOM to almost any of the guns I've used so far. It was so bad that I started to wonder if it was an issue with the sound mix I had on. Then I went and checked with my previous lvl 57 character, and the sound was better by orders of magnitude.
So were they the same mix, like in audio settings?

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Checked out Scorn for about 10 minutes and quit, as expected, it is exactly the opposite of what I look for in gaming. Walking around in circles in the dark is not my idea of a good time and I don't understand why people torture themselves with these kinds of games but, hey, dif'rent strokes.

This morning I rage-quit-uninstalled Cuphead because the charm and challenge wore off and is just consumed by blind rage. The enemy that did it is the dragon in the clouds, I simply cannot tell where the little fireballs are coming from while also trying to shoot backwards. The random cloud placement makes it impossible to memorize the patterns NES level style. And yeah, I get it that this is the whole point but, nah, f*** that noise. I got what I was going to get out of this game.

It's like ordering a big greasy meal and realizing that while it's wasteful to discard half of it, better that than stuff yourself and feel sick later.

Tomorrow Plage Tale 2 comes out and I will dedicate my gaming to playing that whole thing 'cause I liked the setting and look of the first game very much. I do expect some frustrating bullshit sections.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This morning I rage-quit-uninstalled Cuphead because the charm and challenge wore off and is just consumed by blind rage. The enemy that did it is the dragon in the clouds, I simply cannot tell where the little fireballs are coming from while also trying to shoot backwards. The random cloud placement makes it impossible to memorize the patterns NES level style. And yeah, I get it that this is the whole point but, nah, f*** that noise. I got what I was going to get out of this game.
This is why I opted out of getting Cuphead and would rather just play the Gunstar Heroes and Super Heroes, Contra Collection, Contra 4, Super Cyborg, or Metal Slug again.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
This is why I opted out of getting Cuphead and would rather just play the Gunstar Heroes and Super Heroes, Contra Collection, Contra 4, Super Cyborg, or Metal Slug.
I will say may admit that the whole vibe and style of Cuphead was a big part of the attraction. I mean I was also in the mood from some classic platforming, run 'n' gun stuff, but the music and animation and crazy enemy designs- man I'm all about that.

I will say that this game and Elden Ring has completely changed my mind about the whole "easy mode" debate. Sekiro put me on the side of "creators should do what they want" but these two games flipped it hard and now I support Congressional legislation to put easy modes on all games.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I briefly checked out the Triangle Strategy demo on Nintendo's "Try before you buy" sale, because the base game is down to $40(digital). The demo is the first 3 chapters of the game and after about 90 or so minutes I'm somewhere in chapter 2.

So I know I've occasionally whined that I'd love to see Final Fantasy Tactics come to PC and/or current gen consoles, but having checked this out I'm gonna let that go. Because so far this is very, very much like Final Fantasy Tactics. It clearly is channeling the spirit of the whole thing and for all I know may be a better game then tactics is if it doesn't go trade in it's "Game of Thrones fantasy complex politics and murder but with chocobos" for "EVERYONE R DEMONS NOW and also Jesus was a demon, haha" that Tactics did.

So the game spends a lot of time and effort slowly building up it's world and characters in the first few chapters and it's very well done, with the interplay between 3 nations who once fought a major war and still remain in uneasy balance presumably about to cooperate on a major project for the benefit of all on full display. Yet it's becoming clear there's still a lot of cracks in this facade and things are likely going to deteriorate into outright war pretty soon, probably. And I'm here for it. I expect a lot of backstabbing and sidestabbing and even some frontstabbing to commence once the action kicks into gear.

The downside of this is that it's taking it's time. Unlike FF12 that just dumps a bunch of shit on you at once, this game is trying to draw you in a more balanced pace through what are essentially a bunch of cutscenes with the occasional dialogue prompt as interaction. As far as actual Gameplay, there's been a grand total of one battle near the start and one bit where you get to wander around a town talking to people for a couple minutes. And that's gonna be the real sticking point for a lot of people. I'm engaged by the story and worldbuilding here so I'm willing to tolerate it's slow pace but I can imagine a lot of people aren't gonna be so inclined to wait it out before the action gets going and I'd be hard pressed to tell those people to stick it out.

But yeah, I'm impressed enough so far to give it a buy and see where this goes. I'll update when I get further in, since I'm balancing this out with Dragon Age over in the dedicate thread.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Been neck deep in Trails from Zero for the past 3 weeks, over 100 hours in already. Game has lived up to the decade+ of time we had to wait for it to release in the west and then some. Almost beat it, and already super looking forward to Azure.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I briefly checked out the Triangle Strategy demo on Nintendo's "Try before you buy" sale, because the base game is down to $40(digital). The demo is the first 3 chapters of the game and after about 90 or so minutes I'm somewhere in chapter 2.

So I know I've occasionally whined that I'd love to see Final Fantasy Tactics come to PC and/or current gen consoles, but having checked this out I'm gonna let that go. Because so far this is very, very much like Final Fantasy Tactics. It clearly is channeling the spirit of the whole thing and for all I know may be a better game then tactics is if it doesn't go trade in it's "Game of Thrones fantasy complex politics and murder but with chocobos" for "EVERYONE R DEMONS NOW and also Jesus was a demon, haha" that Tactics did.

So the game spends a lot of time and effort slowly building up it's world and characters in the first few chapters and it's very well done, with the interplay between 3 nations who once fought a major war and still remain in uneasy balance presumably about to cooperate on a major project for the benefit of all on full display. Yet it's becoming clear there's still a lot of cracks in this facade and things are likely going to deteriorate into outright war pretty soon, probably. And I'm here for it. I expect a lot of backstabbing and sidestabbing and even some frontstabbing to commence once the action kicks into gear.

The downside of this is that it's taking it's time. Unlike FF12 that just dumps a bunch of shit on you at once, this game is trying to draw you in a more balanced pace through what are essentially a bunch of cutscenes with the occasional dialogue prompt as interaction. As far as actual Gameplay, there's been a grand total of one battle near the start and one bit where you get to wander around a town talking to people for a couple minutes. And that's gonna be the real sticking point for a lot of people. I'm engaged by the story and worldbuilding here so I'm willing to tolerate it's slow pace but I can imagine a lot of people aren't gonna be so inclined to wait it out before the action gets going and I'd be hard pressed to tell those people to stick it out.

But yeah, I'm impressed enough so far to give it a buy and see where this goes. I'll update when I get further in, since I'm balancing this out with Dragon Age over in the dedicate thread.
I've been keeping my eye on it, but its apparently quiet short and currently full price on steam, so I'll probably wait for a deep discount down the line. Still nice that they remembered there was a market for that type of game.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
So were they the same mix, like in audio settings?
They were. And turns out the sounds I was talking about were literally muted, because the revolver I'd been using had a silencer attachment. A silencer. In Borderlands. A game with literally zero stealth mechanics or a reason to have silencers. Oh well, at least the sound effects weren't buggered in some way.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I've been keeping my eye on it, but its apparently quiet short and currently full price on steam, so I'll probably wait for a deep discount down the line. Still nice that they remembered there was a market for that type of game.
I'm curious why it's considering short because HowLongToBeat lists it as 33 hours for main story and 47 hours for that and the side quests. And apparently there's new game plus which makes it easier to go for the different endings. 33-47 hours is pretty hefty, especially for a strategy game.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm curious why it's considering short because HowLongToBeat lists it as 33 hours for main story and 47 hours for that and the side quests. And apparently there's new game plus which makes it easier to go for the different endings. 33-47 hours is pretty hefty, especially for a strategy game.
Oh, good to know. I heard something like below 15 to do everything possible in one playtrough.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I picked up Returnal today, because I've heard a lot of good things about it and everything I've seen suggested it's the kind of game that I'm into. So far that analysis has proven to be pretty accurate; the guns feel weighty, the enemies are tough without seeming insurmountable, and the story looks like it's going somewhere. I made it to the first boss, but I didn't manage to defeat him; he had probably less than 10% of his health left at the time, so next time should go better.

What's surprised me the most so far is just how good the adaptive triggers on the Dualsense controller feel to use. I thought that the default setting of a half press on L2 to ADS and full press to use alt-fire would be weird and finicky, but in practice it feels totally natural and easy.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I was planning on playing Plague Tales: Requiem but I had a nightmare about rats last night so, no, I'm not going to do that after all.
Also the performance seems to be a problem according to some reviews :(