What are you currently playing?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Not sure what I have here.
Amazon "gave" us Fallout 76: The Pitt as a "free" (you have to be a prime member, which I am to avoid delivery fees but Prime comes with a ton of other stuff that feels free as I didn't get the service for them... movies, books, audible and games) October game.

Does the Pitt limit you to just that piece? And I think I'm online. I keep seeing others with user names on them. I was asked if I wanted one NPC to join me. For now I said no as, I don't know what I'm doing yet.

I believe it is a follow up to a similar named DLC for Fallout 3.

So far, I like it.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Not sure what I have here.
Amazon "gave" us Fallout 76: The Pitt as a "free" (you have to be a prime member, which I am to avoid delivery fees but Prime comes with a ton of other stuff that feels free as I didn't get the service for them... movies, books, audible and games) October game.

Does the Pitt limit you to just that piece? And I think I'm online. I keep seeing others with user names on them. I was asked if I wanted one NPC to join me. For now I said no as, I don't know what I'm doing yet.

I believe it is a follow up to a similar named DLC for Fallout 3.

So far, I like it.

I think Bestheda missed the oppurtunity to do an Allentown DLC, since they already did the Pitt.

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
To get prepped for Halloween I played the the House Of The Dead Remake again on Switch. There is now touching control, but I'm probably never going to use those. The game controls a lot better now and I have it to a custom setting that works for me. The game is on sale on PS4 at the price of $19.99. the sale ends October 13th. There's Move support, so if you have a move controller or several feel free to use it.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I think Bestheda missed the oppurtunity to do an Allentown DLC, since they already did the Pitt.
It’s doubtful they’d be artistically aware enough of the song’s thematic relevance anyways, so it’s probably for the better.

Well we’re living in a Fallout town
And they’re closing the studio down
In Bethesda land they’re killing time
Filling out forms, standing in line

Reactions: Dalisclock

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I managed to get a pretty good deal on the Switch version of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2, and though I've only played Tony Hawk very occasionally at friends' houses and I was never any good at it, I decided to pick it up so that I could actually learn it for real. So far I've been bailing about as much as if I was actually trying to learn to skate, and my best score is a little under 120k for a 2-minute session. Did manage to clear all the tasks at the Warehouse, though, so I'm gonna call that progress.

Game's pretty fun, and the Switch version's got the upside of that portability; the two-minute format means that it's a good fit for a commute, since the runs don't last long each and it probably won't make me miss a stop. As for how it looks, I'm not a graphics hound, and especially on the small screen I barely even notice the downgrades.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Annalynn is when you cross Mario, Donkey Kong (Jr.), Miner 2049er, and Pac-Man together. It's a single screen arcade style platformer that came out last year, but is remake of a game that came out in 2016. How did I not know about this?! The game is not that long and has 16 stages total, but there are tons of bonuses for beating the game. You can unlock alternate color palettes by getting perfect bonuses (annoying how you're supposed to do that your first time through and only gets harder to achieve in later levels), a random mode, practice mode, and some cool cheats. Fun game and is not expensive to buy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I find Random Mode in Annalyn surprisingly more addicting than the campaign. You get additional power ups and can set up rules and have limited continues. There are even bonus modes where you're on a DKC mine cart levels. Neat!

I tried the Moonrider demo, and it is awesome. Straight up Shinobi III 90s ninja shit right there! There are only two stages, and the demo period ends on October 10th. Why make it a time demo? Advertise this game! I hope this comes to other consoles and Switch especially. Moonrider is a definite buy for me whenever it comes out this fall.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I finished all of Borderlands 1's DLC last night (except Moxxi's Underdome, which is just an arena, as I understand it).

The Zombie Island of Dr Ned has the honour of being the game's first DLC. And, whats this? Characters!? Writing!? Its basic stuff, but considering that the first game is basically devoid of both, this may as well have been Citizen Kane. It also introduces a new biome to Borderlands - dark swampy forest - which might not sound like much, but considering that the base game (and frankly, the rest of the DLCs too) presents Pandora to be little more than deserts, and literal piles of trash (and frequently, both at the same time), this was a breath of fresh air, and actually quite atmospheric, too. Unfortunately, this additional variety does not really extend to the enemies that you fight during the course of this DLC, which are, you guessed it, Zombies. And frankly, zombies just aren't that interesting to fight. You've got your normal, slight jog, shambling zombie. You've got the one that spits goo at you, and slows you down. You've got the one that runs straight for you, and blows up. And the big one that has a lot of HP, and throws shit at you. Basically your normal "videogame zombie" variety, and it wears pretty thin after the first 30 minutes or so. It kind of outstayed its welcome, about half way through.

Next up is The Secret Armoury of General Knoxx, and this one is hailed as the best DLC of Borderlands 1, and one of the best Borderlands DLCs overall... and I don't see it. The writing is immediatly much more in-line with where the sequels would take the tone of the game, and Knoxx was well written and acted (and I wish we had more of him), but really, the first thing that I noticed about this campaign, was the sudden spike in difficulty. And not even in a fun way, but in a "cheese encounters or I will die in seconds" kind of way. The DLC is also BIG, because it tries to focus on vehicle combat and traversal, but vehicles in Borderlands aren't great, which makes it an odd choice, and it comes with the added drawback of needing to trek on foot for minutes at a time, if you find yourself without one. I did really like the timed loot run at the end of the DLC though - steal as much as you can in 3 minutes, before everything blows up. In the end, it is still leagues better than the base game, but the difficulty spike and large maps were a pretty big blow against this one.

Lastly, is Claptrap's New Robot Revolution (RR), which I actually played before The Secret Armoury (SA), because even though it is set after SA, RR scales to your level from 35, whereas SA starts at level 50. A weird consequence of this, is that RR actually spoils the ending of SA. It wasn't a surprising outcome, but it was low-key annoying. Anyway, I would actually argue that RR is the most consistent of the DLCs. It doesn't have the higher highs of SA and Zombie Island, but it doesn't really have any drawbacks, other than a single zone being an absolute nightmare to navigate. It was a fun premise, but I really feel like they could have gone harder on the theme. It was alright.

Overall, the DLCs are an obvious improvement to the base game, and they offer a taste as to where the tone of the franchise ended up going... but again, I just feel like Borderlands 1 is entirely redundant, and the DLCs don't really fix that. In the end, in a world where there are 4 other Borderlands games, you would probably have a better time playing any of those, instead.

Last edited:

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
The current PSN free games were an ok batch no interest in Injustice 2 and Super Hot was Super Hot but if you told me Hotwheels unleased would be my sleep GOTY I would of slapped you. This game is perfection arcade racing with boost and drift but also knowing the track layout and doing tricks to find shorts cuts to make those a time trials a breeze. With the property you get all the funky cars from your standard racers, licensed vehicles hell my main car is a Gucci mobile, monster trucks, funky cars like a toaster car and licensed properties like the Batmobile, K.I.T.T and the Dolorean. Its like the time splitters of racers.

And the microtranactions are there because its Hotwheels and Mattel they took their meatspace practice and made it digital but it actual makes sense and is not pure greed slapping you in the face. Hell get 1st through 3rd in a easy track on a quick race and you can get all the tracks and some cars the cycle through with in game currency.

Speaking of the tracks they go from simple circles to loop da loops with snakes trying to eat and fans trying to blow you off the track. Went online and was on a custom track and yes of course custom tracks how can you not and man the evil people make. I had fun but it was not about winning a race but surviving this Rube Goldberg presents Daytona 500 audracity.

But major win goes to the fact that it has Splitscreen and dying art that I will clap for any game that still has it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The current PSN free games were an ok batch no interest in Injustice 2 and Super Hot was Super Hot but if you told me Hotwheels unleased would be my sleep GOTY I would of slapped you. This game is perfection arcade racing with boost and drift but also knowing the track layout and doing tricks to find shorts cuts to make those a time trials a breeze. With the property you get all the funky cars from your standard racers, licensed vehicles hell my main car is a Gucci mobile, monster trucks, funky cars like a toaster car and licensed properties like the Batmobile, K.I.T.T and the Dolorean. Its like the time splitters of racers.

And the microtranactions are there because its Hotwheels and Mattel they took their meatspace practice and made it digital but it actual makes sense and is not pure greed slapping you in the face. Hell get 1st through 3rd in a easy track on a quick race and you can get all the tracks and some cars the cycle through with in game currency.

Speaking of the tracks they go from simple circles to loop da loops with snakes trying to eat and fans trying to blow you off the track. Went online and was on a custom track and yes of course custom tracks how can you not and man the evil people make. I had fun but it was not about winning a race but surviving this Rube Goldberg presents Daytona 500 audracity.

But major win goes to the fact that it has Splitscreen and dying art that I will clap for any game that still has it.

My brother got this on GamePass a few months back. He loves it. You got yourself another customer who is downloading right now.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
My brother got this on GamePass a few months back. He loves it. You got yourself another customer who is downloading right now.
Seconded. This looks really cool. There’s even a TMNT party wagon but not sure if it’s behind MTX or whatever.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Beat the final boss of Elden Ring on my second playthrough because I wanted to see the Age of Stars ending. I suppose I had a choice between that and the Duskborn ending, but didn't realize it at the time, so I checked it out on Youtube after. And glad I did pick the Ranni ending, because the Duskborn ending would have felt like a slap in the face considering how convoluted it is to try to get.

I'm starting to see the wider issues with the bosses in this game. Too much time in too many boss fights is simply spent waiting for attack windows while dodging again and again. In a weird way it almost feels like a turn-based game, except the bosses are taking 3 turns for every one of yours. The way Fromsoft has made every boss have absurdly delayed and long windups just makes a lot of them often look awkward and dumb. Commander Niall for example feels like he pauses between each attack to try to remember which one is supposed to come next. The window is just long enough to fool you into thinking the attack chain is over, but not long enough for you to actually get an attack in. Either that, or the boss bounces and jumps around the arena so much that you spend the majority of the fight just trying to catch the bastard. Beast Clergyman/Maliketh being among the biggest offenders in this regard. I think that fight just plain sucks. Fromsoft really missed the mark there, because a lot of Clergyman's attacks are simply unreactable, and a great many of Maliketh's attacks are two-shots even with endgame stats. The way they seem to have balanced it was to make the boss a glass cannon, but it doesn't it make it more fun, just thankfully shorter.

Even Radagon, IMO one of the best boss fights in the game, is guilty of this. The fight starts out great and well balanced. But about halfway through his healthbar he just goes sicko mode, starts teleporting and jumping around like crazy, and suddenly you're getting half as many attack opportunities as you did in the first half, making the fight yet another pseudo-turn based slog. And the less said about Elden Beast the better.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Picked up Jedi: Fallen Order for PS5 (it was only about 12 bucks). I played it once when it came out on PS4, and it was okay-ish but definitely had some loose screws. Playing it again at 60fps (and with sharper visuals) has certainly made it a lot more fun to actually fight.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Also, something glitched in Elden Ring, and I suddenly had the Site of Grace for Placidusax available in Farum Azula. I used it, and it teleported me right to Placidusax. Not just the arena, but literally under the boss itself, since I hadn't defeated it. What's more is after dying the game would spawn me right under Placidusax again, effectively trapping me in the boss fight until it was completed. Which considering how long the runback to the boss is, I was in the end pleased about. Took maybe 5 tries, it's one of the best fights in the game.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Yeah so Cuphead is pretty great.
I mean, I know, duh. But one has to be in the right frame of mind to want throw oneself at a level over and over.

This game is just hitting the mark for what I’m looking for right now- something I can play with full focus (exploring the over world and encountering new levels or bosses) or having something to do while listening to podcasts or work meetings (retrying boss fights).

I realized that despite my mocking of NES era nostalgia, I did have a bit of that myself.
But it’s not for the art style or lo-fi graphics, it’s for that experience of having to master a level until you get it right. Last night at quit after getting stuck at two bosses and this morning I beat them. That’s what I’m talking about.
I’m sure I’ll rage quit many times but that’s ok- it’ll be my game I dip into in small bursts in between whatever catches my fancy on Game pass.

i opted for the Xbox version over Switch lite so that I can use the better controller and enjoy the art on a larger screen. Even though Nintendo store had a sale it just didn’t seem like I would enjoy it handheld.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Also, something glitched in Elden Ring, and I suddenly had the Site of Grace for Placidusax available in Farum Azula. I used it, and it teleported me right to Placidusax. Not just the arena, but literally under the boss itself, since I hadn't defeated it. What's more is after dying the game would spawn me right under Placidusax again, effectively trapping me in the boss fight until it was completed. Which considering how long the runback to the boss is, I was in the end pleased about. Took maybe 5 tries, it's one of the best fights in the game.
I wish I got that glitch. One of the more difficult bosses simply due to the amount of time spent reaching it.