Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
, BvS is one of the worst movies I've ever seen, I went to see it the Thursday night before the technical Friday release and I walked out of that theater so confused because I didn't understand how a movie that big could be made where literally every decision that went into making the movie was the wrong decision. It was rather entertaining in how unfathomably bad it was. I used to think Zack Snyder was a pretty good director but he hasn't made anything good in awhile now, Watchmen is still my favorite comic book movie.
Not liking BvS is fine, so is preferring Civil War. What’s not fine is pointing out every single flaw in BvS , or any DC movie, while deliberately ignoring near identical flaws in the MCU movies.

And out of curiosity, can you name several specific problems you had with BvS?

Reactions: BrawlMan

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Not liking BvS is fine, so is preferring Civil War. What’s not fine is pointing out every single flaw in BvS , or any DC movie, while deliberately ignoring near identical flaws in the MCU movies.

And out of curiosity, can you name several specific problems you had with BvS?
Just about every possible plot point makes zero sense in BvS. The movie isn't fresh in my mind anymore, but I recall at least the 1st hour to hour and a half of BvS being completely pointless because Lex is trying to setup Superman to look like a bad guy to be able to get clearance to get and or experiment with the kryptonite asteroid when Man of Steel already set all that shit up (that BvS shows the ending from it over again as well) and gave a perfectly valid reason for that already. And I think that landed like in the middle of some ocean so why can't Lex just go get it and experiment with it in some different country if the US won't allow such experiments, his company has to have locations all over the world. I believe even the Capitol bombing was still to make Superman look bad to get government clearance, why can't he just buy them off if he really wants this clearance.Then, his plan is so asinine that he uses slightly different bullets in that operation in Africa IIRC that can be traced back to him for what other purpose than to give Lois something to do in the movie but not really do because it's never exposed that it was Lex anyway. Then you have the stupid ass actual fight where Batman uses smoke to hide when Superman can see through that (even the animated movies have more logical fight scenes between Batman and Superman). You have the stupid Martha scene (and like the only reason they did the Batman's parents' death scene was to zoom in on the fact that Batman's mom's name is Martha), you have Superman using the krytonite spear when Wonder Woman could've done that, you have a completely wasted Doomsday, you have Wonder Woman out detective-ing Batman who looks totally incompetent at doing it, Superman can locate Lois anywhere anytime but not his mom, why would Lex's blood plus Zod's blood create Doomsday, and why does Superman let the US government kept the kryptonian ship/technology to begin with...

BvS is possibly the most nonsensical movie I've ever seen in my life. My jaw was figuratively on the floor as I left the theater because I just couldn't understand how something like that could possibly get made.

Reactions: gorfias

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Terrifier 2

Slasher film about an immortal (?) murderous clown. Very grindhouse in aesthetic, lots of gore and gross stuff. Obviously also very unsubtle. Last girl literally wears a warrior angel costume. Not scary at all cuz the violence and blood is so over the top it goes into silly territory. Then again, slashers are imo more about the kills than being actually scary.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
What I most remember about DOA is that, IIRC, there's a brief comedy bit about how wimpy a nerdy guy is. While the ladies are beating up loads of ninjas, he knocks one out with a single punch and injures his hand doing so. Which, c'mon, sure, there's lots of ninjas around, but knocking one out with a single punch is still an achievement.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
What I most remember about DOA is that, IIRC, there's a brief comedy bit about how wimpy a nerdy guy is. While the ladies are beating up loads of ninjas, he knocks one out with a single punch and injures his hand doing so. Which, c'mon, sure, there's lots of ninjas around, but knocking one out with a single punch is still an achievement.
Nah mate, law of conservation of ninjitsu means there's only a finite amount of ninjitsu available in any given encounter and adding more ninjas just subdivides that amount across more bodies. An army of them is just fodder. Now if there was only one or two ninjas, and the nerd 1hko'd one of those, yeah, tat'd be impressive.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I think it's in perfect accordance with how ninjas are usually portrayed in films. They're basically extreme glass cannons: super capable combatants, but can't take a single hit, which even makes a loose sort of sense considering they're usually dressed in full body pajamas. So that dude knocking a ninja out in one hit makes about as much sense as anything else in that film.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The Black Phone: Meh / Great

A young boy, Finney, is abducted by "The Grabber," a kidnapper known throughout their Denver suburb for having taken several children from the area. While in his custody, Finney receives several mysterious calls on a disconnected phone from the ostensible ghosts of the children taken before him, and they try to aid him in getting out of captivity alive.

A really wasted premise. Firstly, I dislike horror movies with children serving as the "main" characters. Horror is a genre that sometimes flinches away from delving into itself when children are involved, so when children are the focal point, they can end up being a slightly morbid Goonies versus an actually frightening experience, and this film was no different. Also, the film glances off of a lot of themes and ideas without substantively diving into any of them! Who is The Grabber? What's the deal with Finney's sister's dreams? What is the Grabber's "game?" And most importantly, what is the black phone?? It's a film that resolves itself by simply ending, and that's not satisfactory to me. This was a cliff notes version of a much better film.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
It's not really a thing among normal people. It's like the stupid console wars that are really only a thing among kids and immature people. The fact that people care so much about what other people think about movies they like is pretty character telling IMO.

Reddit has always been a cesspit, the fact that comments are shown in order of some rating system doomed it to fail. Also, BvS is one of the worst movies I've ever seen, I went to see it the Thursday night before the technical Friday release and I walked out of that theater so confused because I didn't understand how a movie that big could be made where literally every decision that went into making the movie was the wrong decision. It was rather entertaining in how unfathomably bad it was. I used to think Zack Snyder was a pretty good director but he hasn't made anything good in awhile now, Watchmen is still my favorite comic book movie.
I hang out on reddit for memes and for specific game & application news stuff, but I think people confuse it with an actual live forum. Its largely just noise and automated noise at that. It's highlighting is all based around cross-promotion of certain things and ads, so you could have a thousand more likes than the next comment or post but be below it because you're not generating as many clicks. Even in the smaller fandom related subreddits it's extremely toxic and even THEN a lot of it it just trolls and bots. Twitter is no different so the vast majority of these culture wars are just bots yammering at each to generic clicks. 50,000 posts ranting about wonder woman are usually about 5 actual people and 49995 bots promoting the toxicity for clicks.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I hang out on reddit for memes and for specific game & application news stuff, but I think people confuse it with an actual live forum. Its largely just noise and automated noise at that. It's highlighting is all based around cross-promotion of certain things and ads, so you could have a thousand more likes than the next comment or post but be below it because you're not generating as many clicks. Even in the smaller fandom related subreddits it's extremely toxic and even THEN a lot of it it just trolls and bots. Twitter is no different so the vast majority of these culture wars are just bots yammering at each to generic clicks. 50,000 posts ranting about wonder woman are usually about 5 actual people and 49995 bots promoting the toxicity for clicks.
I hate when a google search leads me to a reddit page because you just can't click on it and get the whole discussion, you have to click 'view whole discussion' then probably click a few times to continue threads, and if you're on your phone, you have to click to continue in your browser because it wants you to use some stupid app to view a web page.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Question
He knew how to get into the Rock through that flaming thing and from the inside open the door. Isn't the whole point of his knowing about this thing so he could get OUT of the rock as he couldn't/shouldn't be able to open the door from the inside? ITMT: Very, very awesome scene regardless.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I hate when a google search leads me to a reddit page because you just can't click on it and get the whole discussion, you have to click 'view whole discussion' then probably click a few times to continue threads, and if you're on your phone, you have to click to continue in your browser because it wants you to use some stupid app to view a web page.
I've had to use reddit much more often during the pandemic, and my impression is that it was cobbled together years ago by college students, became insanely popular, and never found the time to actually make a decent platform. The reddit UI and UX fucking sucks, even when compared to other social media platforms.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I've had to use reddit much more often during the pandemic, and my impression is that it was cobbled together years ago by college students, became insanely popular, and never found the time to actually make a decent platform. The reddit UI and UX fucking sucks, even when compared to other social media platforms.
Insert clever jokes making fun of reddit and reddit users.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Question
He knew how to get into the Rock through that flaming thing and from the inside open the door. Isn't the whole point of his knowing about this thing so he could get OUT of the rock as he couldn't/shouldn't be able to open the door from the inside? ITMT: Very, very awesome scene regardless.
Yeah, not quite sure how that bit was supposed to work. Early Michael Bay, though, that might be the only explanation.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Question
It’s been ages since I’ve seen it but yeah, it’s a Michael Bay movie so the cool shit is occasionally necessitated by plot holes.

Best explanation I’ve seen FWIW -

Last edited:

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Nightbreed

It's the X-Men, but they're ugly and horny and live under a cemetery. Dumb and messy as this is, this movie is a much better allegory for queer persecution than any of the X-Men movies ever accomplished. The monsters in this are all ugly and deformed and wouldn't pass for a second among humans the way X-Men's catalogue of supermodels could if they bothered trying. And while a few of them have "combat applications" in a pinch they mostly come across as vulnerable. They only ever fight to defend themselves; there's no saving humanity or stopping Sky Lasers in the process. Also, because this is a Clive Barker book/script/movie, everybody dresses in leather and is weirdly horny all the time.

It's crazy this was Ralph McQuarrie's last movie. The dude that basically imagined the look, the characters and the vistas of the Star Wars trilogy, ET, Close Encounters, Raiders of the Lost Ark and won an Academy Award for Cocoon ended his career on this raunchy weirdo studio-butchered monster movie that looks like Hellboy meets Hellraiser.

The main dude is kinda boring. Looks like Walmart Kevin Dillon, and lest we forget Kevin Dillon is Walmart Matt Dillon. But it was fun seeing David Cronenberg as a serial killer - and not just a cameo but as a top-billing character that lasts the whole movie. The masks looks creepy and cool. Apparently he wrote Naked Lunch in between takes, too. He must've had a lot of fun.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Nightbreed

It's the X-Men, but they're ugly and horny and live under a cemetery. Dumb and messy as this is, this movie is a much better allegory for queer persecution than any of the X-Men movies ever accomplished. The monsters in this are all ugly and deformed and wouldn't pass for a second among humans the way X-Men's catalogue of supermodels could if they bothered trying. And while a few of them have "combat applications" in a pinch they mostly come across as vulnerable. They only ever fight to defend themselves; there's no saving humanity or stopping Sky Lasers in the process. Also, because this is a Clive Barker book/script/movie, everybody dresses in leather and is weirdly horny all the time.

It's crazy this was Ralph McQuarrie's last movie. The dude that basically imagined the look, the characters and the vistas of the Star Wars trilogy, ET, Close Encounters, Raiders of the Lost Ark and won an Academy Award for Cocoon ended his career on this raunchy weirdo studio-butchered monster movie that looks like Hellboy meets Hellraiser.

The main dude is kinda boring. Looks like Walmart Kevin Dillon, and lest we forget Kevin Dillon is Walmart Matt Dillon. But it was fun seeing David Cronenberg as a serial killer - and not just a cameo but as a top-billing character that lasts the whole movie. The masks looks creepy and cool. Apparently he wrote Naked Lunch in between takes, too. He must've had a lot of fun.
Did you watch the theatrical cut or the Director's Cut? If you saw the former, I suggest checking out the latter if you can. Worth the extra footage. Also, the design for Cronenberg's killer costume is one of my favorite slasher villain designs in any movie I've seen. It's simple, but it just looks cool.

1666735120642.png

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Did you watch the theatrical cut or the Director's Cut? If you saw the former, I suggest checking out the latter if you can. Worth the extra footage. Also, the design for Cronenberg's killer costume is one of my favorite slasher villain designs in any movie I've seen. It's simple, but it just looks cool.

View attachment 7253
I think I saw the theatrical cut, but I read up on the director's cut. Shame they never made a sequel, ending left me excited for one even though I knew that was it.
Cronenberg looks so creepy and unsettling in that mask, it absolutely holds up way better than the more roundabout designs for a lot of slasher villains from that era. Looks a bit like Slender Man. Very simple and effective. Even the mask-pulls look convincing. And it really is just cool for the sake of cool, since he usually puts it on to kill people he's already alone with.

images.jpg