What have you learned today?

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Frequent ecstasy use wrecks your long-term memory. I didn't know that and I'm surprised anti-drug campaigns don't make more of a thing of it.
It's just not dramatic enough I'm afraid. It needs death, violence or permanent maiming to get those fearmongering spices flowing. And the brain can recover well enough with suitable avoidance. I remember a period years ago when I was doing it as often as poss and it had the side effect of messing up speech in long sentences at odd unexpected moments, but I was hitting it hard along with anything else I could get hold of at the time. It was the least concerning of all the other chemicals' side effects tbh.

Reactions: Baffle

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
It's just not dramatic enough I'm afraid. It needs death, violence or permanent maiming to get those fearmongering spices flowing.
IIRC, the 3 biggest causes of road accidents are speeding, fatigue and alcohol/drug use. Lots of fatalities, and we still have to tell people over and over that there's a problem. Death and permanent maiming aren't scary enough, it seems.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Though haven't seen it yet, have heard the Foxcatcher film was good, with actual acting from Channing Tatum. Didn't know it was based on a true story. Nor that the family of the victim do not agree with the film's portrayal of events. Having not seen it, the true story sounds pretty fucking crazy as it is. And how obscene wealth just ruins everything for everyone. Including the living caricatures, the DuPonts.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
IIRC, the 3 biggest causes of road accidents are speeding, fatigue and alcohol/drug use. Lots of fatalities, and we still have to tell people over and over that there's a problem. Death and permanent maiming aren't scary enough, it seems.
"Well, it won't happen to me"

A ton of people are convinced they are the exception when bad things happen. Like those weirdos who are convinced they'd thrive in an actual zombie apocalypse where society has broken down, as opposed to the much more likely outcomes of getting eaten by zombies or starving to death once the grocery stores are looted.

Last edited:

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Solar Farms can actually be built very quickly. Did not know that... Why aren't we just spamming the farms everywhere?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Solar Farms can actually be built very quickly. Did not know that... Why aren't we just spamming the farms everywhere?
Mostly storage issues, more electricity being used at night and so on.

However, there are plenty of places that only need electricity intermittently, and yeah, we could be doing more with that.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I just learned on accident that if you hit Ctrl+Shift+X when you're typing a reply here on the forum, all the user avatars will flip to the right side of the page.
Doesn't do that for me. Instead it flips the punctuation and forum tags reversed, but not any of the other text.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Somebody encased a bag of Flaming Hot Cheetos in a block of resin and buried it in a 3000lb sarcophagus for future civilizations. I actually find this depressing. Like, far from puzzling future historians, it will simply be another piece of evidence that we were a frivolous and wasteful society. To spend so much effort doing something so pointless, and yet they no doubt more than made their money back from the millions of clicks they got. Not to mention they only buried it like 2 feet deep, not even below the frostline, it'll never last the 10 000 years they listed as the open date. Concrete just doesn't last that long exposed to weather.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Somebody encased a bag of Flaming Hot Cheetos in a block of resin and buried it in a 3000lb sarcophagus for future civilizations. I actually find this depressing. Like, far from puzzling future historians, it will simply be another piece of evidence that we were a frivolous and wasteful society. To spend so much effort doing something so pointless, and yet they no doubt more than made their money back from the millions of clicks they got. Not to mention they only buried it like 2 feet deep, not even below the frostline, it'll never last the 10 000 years they listed as the open date. Concrete just doesn't last that long exposed to weather.
On the one hand... blah, dumb as dogshit execution. On the other hand, I fully endore fucking with future archeologists and is the reason I want to be buried inside a cow carcass.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So, for whatever reason I assumed that Red and Blond hair was a genetic thing that only really shows up in Europeans or those descended from Europeans. I casually started reading up on hair colors and realized, while not nearly as common as in Europeans and such, Red and Blonde hair shows up in people all over the world, through at noticably lower rates.

So the "Dark Skinned Blonde" in anime actually has some basis in fact.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Today I learned Carl Sagan has a day, and that day is today.

Oh, and they also uploaded the entire original run of Cosmos to Youtube. 13 hours of stuff to learn.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I just learned that South Korea drinks the most hard liquor and by a lot.

Interesting, because those 8 points all apply to Japan too, but they drink only about a third as many shots (still top 5 tho). Maybe because afaik they're more into binging big pints of draught beer.

Huh, it works in Waterfox (and Firefox almost certainly as well).
Tried it in Firefox actually.

Reactions: thestor