God of War Ragnarok Thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Kratos and Freya finally teaming up is a wonderful impact and proper build up. Vinaheim is beautiful to look at and walkthrough. So much green and blue when it's at night. Then lots of yellow and green when the sun comes out. There are new enemy types in this realm, and you can command Freya to use her magic on enemies. The mid-boss, Fiske, is already one of my favorite human sized bosses in the game. I hope the game has more versions of him as encounters. Ater that point, the giant boss fight with the Niddhog does the thing old God of War games are known for! The boss starts off as stationary, but quarter into the fight, the boss says fuck that shit and comes out at ya swinging and moving like crazy!

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
i was very shocked and happy that you play as atreus and he has a whole skill tree to himself
I take it he’s at least more fun to play as than Ellie from TLoU? I generally don’t like when games switch up characters though. The Ciri portions of The Witcher 3 felt like they should’ve just been cutscene flashbacks with how shallow they made the gameplay for her.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I take it he’s at least more fun to play as than Ellie from TLoU? I generally don’t like when games switch up characters though. The Ciri portions of The Witcher 3 felt like they should’ve just been cutscene flashbacks with how shallow they made the gameplay for her.
ok you aint even gonna hide that? Ok then. Yes he's more fun, like a mini Kratos.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I am at the first major mission with Angraboda and so far, just lovin' the shit outta this game. The sequence going back down Alfheim fighting elves with Tyr was so freaking cool, and I am surprised to find myself actually enjoying the bits without Kratos and not just seeing them as "breaks."

My quibble with combat are the same I have with seemingly every action fighting game these days- everything is too fast for me. So I'm just going to chalk this up to me getting old or whatever. Sometimes an enemy will just like be on the other side of the arena and I'm like wtf, and it's the same thing in Horizon 2 or Dark Souls 4 so boo-hoo, Old_Hunter is an Old_Man or whatever.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
ok you aint even gonna hide that? Ok then. Yes he's more fun, like a mini Kratos.
Fixed, but technically I didn’t say any names so it could mean anyone, I swear. It’s really no secret at this point anyways with how many articles there are mentioning it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
My quibble with combat are the same I have with seemingly every action fighting game these days- everything is too fast for me
You'll get used to it in no time. It took me less than half an hour to get used to everything again.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'm starting to wish I had more complaints. It's annoying me now how perfect this game is. Like it's not the best game ever and it's not going to be good for everyone, but it's one of those rare games where everything works perfectly. The systems work, the story and the characters work, the exploration works, everything comes together beautifully. And it's kind of annoying that the only shit I can find with the game are just nitpick nothing's compared to the overall game.

I feel puzzled in the same way Yahtzee was confused by the original Portal, which was the only game he legit couldn't criticize, well until Undertale too I believe. But it's that feeling for me where like I keep looking for something to critique and it just doesn't exist. I'm even used to Atreus' new puberty voice so that's not jarring anymore.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
You'll get used to it in no time. It took me less than half an hour to get used to everything again.
The game also gives more leeway in play styles to make defense either really viable or a more risk/reward deal. Plus, aside from difficulty options there is a plethora of other settings that can always make things easier.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I'm starting to wish I had more complaints. It's annoying me now how perfect this game is. Like it's not the best game ever and it's not going to be good for everyone, but it's one of those rare games where everything works perfectly. The systems work, the story and the characters work, the exploration works, everything comes together beautifully. And it's kind of annoying that the only shit I can find with the game are just nitpick nothing's compared to the overall game.

I feel puzzled in the same way Yahtzee was confused by the original Portal, which was the only game he legit couldn't criticize, well until Undertale too I believe. But it's that feeling for me where like I keep looking for something to critique and it just doesn't exist. I'm even used to Atreus' new puberty voice so that's not jarring anymore.
Plus the game does a good job of making fun of it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

The only big complaints I do have, are the lack of a jump button, and that you're still not getting any invincibility frames, when you use at the start of a runic attack. That is something from the last game they did not fix.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States

I am getting the vibe that some reviewers/critics are "struggling" with the same thing.
Like anything, this type of game isn't for everyone. Yahtzee is probably going to shit on it 'cause it isn't doing anything new, "ghost train" this and that and one can always nitpick the plot of anything especially games. But he's not impressed by big splashy AAA presentations like this so that's fine.
For those of us that do like this type of game, yeah, it's as close to perfect as it can get.

Like maybe it's stupid but it doesn't crash or have weird controls or do anything stupid as an actual game, and it looks amazeballs and everytime I smash R3 to execute a finisher I get a little gamergasm.
It's just... QUALITY. Not every big thing has to redefine the industry or DISRUPT or whatever, it's good to just have good stuff.

Consider my eyes rolling next time someone rants about "the video game industry these days sucks" or that AAA is all garbage. Like... no, obviously, look at Ragnarok.

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
It is rare but yeah is definitely quite a fulfilling videogame to play, and so far what I like most is not knowing where it's going next. Obviously there's some kind of obvious end point, but the journey is one of those where it's liberating to tell the brain "hey you can stop trying to predict shit now, just enjoy the adventure, wherever the fuck it's going." Also it feels great to kick so much ass. So many feedback rumbles! So many (literal at times) explosions of (literal at times) colour! Everytime I see a critic trying to pepper their writing portfolio with "ahh, yes, but have you thought about how it's failing from the essence of the mechanics not inspiring the abstract desire for original number circuitry?!" Am just kinda like "alright fella" with raising a suspicious eyebrow, trying to resist the assumption that they may be climbing the walls of their own anal cavity a tad too eagerly. Tho yeah, is a solid escape from this crumbling reality presently inhabited without consent.

Last edited:

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I guess I'm alone here in saying that the Atreus sections drag and feel like a break from the rest of the game. I'm always trying to speed through them to get back to Kratos. His sections are too talky and too uneventful; I spent something like 2 hours skipping stones and picking flowers while suffering through Young Adult will-they-won't-they gobbledygook.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I guess I'm alone here in saying that the Atreus sections drag and feel like a break from the rest of the game. I'm always trying to speed through them to get back to Kratos. His sections are too talky and too uneventful; I spent something like 2 hours skipping stones and picking flowers while suffering through Young Adult will-they-won't-they gobbledygook.
I do like the section, but I agree with you. They stretched that far longer than it needed to be. I know that section is going to be a pain for repeat playthroughs on playing the hardest difficulty. Walking sections like that should just be automatically skippable, removed, or just be a cut scene.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It is rare but yeah is definitely quite a fulfilling videogame to play, and so far what I like most is not knowing where it's going next. Obviously there's some kind of obvious end point, but the journey is one of those where it's liberating to tell the brain "hey you can stop trying to predict shit now, just enjoy the adventure, wherever the fuck it's going." Also it feels great to kick so much ass. So many feedback rumbles! So many (literal at times) explosions of (literal at times) colour! Everytime I see a critic trying to pepper their writing portfolio with "ahh, yes, but have you thought about how it's failing from the essence of the mechanics not inspiring the abstract desire for original number circuitry?!" Am just kinda like "alright fella" with raising a suspicious eyebrow, trying to resist the assumption that they may be climbing the walls of their own anal cavity a tad too eagerly. Tho yeah, is a solid escape from this crumbling reality presently inhabited without consent.
Even the side quests have surprises like when you are going to save a wounded animal in the desert and it turns out to be a giant jellyfish. Who the fuck would think to put a jellyfish in the desert man!? It could have been anything and it wouldn't have mattered, a sandwyrm, a dragon again, whatever, but a fucking jellyfish...alright then that's neat. And then they took the time to have it fly around the map over you while you finish exploring and is just there now which is a really neat touch.

Speaking of exploration, 2018 did this too, but I really like when the map tells me everything that's there. It helps my completionist brain. There are X chests, Y ravens, etc etc. That way I feel comfortable moving onto the next part of the game because even if I can't get everything the first time I know exactly what's left when I come back.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Consider my eyes rolling next time someone rants about "the video game industry these days sucks" or that AAA is all garbage. Like... no, obviously, look at Ragnarok.
Not everything sucks about the industry, but a lot does, nor does it excuse the crap that happens there. Ragnarök is just one of the few exceptions.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
The only big complaints I do have, are the lack of a jump button, and that you're still not getting any invincibility frames, when you use at the start of a runic attack. That is something from the last game they did not fix.
I think with the combat having a deeper bag of tricks in these games now and traversal feeling very efficiently designed, I’m not missing jump as much as I thought I would. It’s generally easy enough to navigate the environments where you can usually say, “Well, I’ve done/seen all I can here; next!” vs someone like me that would probably be jumping all over the place like a maniac trying to get to *that one ledge* that might’ve not even been possible anyways.