What have you learned today?

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
I think killing rats by shaking them was an important job for dogs back in the day.
It's pretty much how dogs deal with any prey small enough for them to pick up in their mouth. That's not how she killed it, though. She crushed it's skull in her jaws.

How big is your dog?
Just a touch under 35kg, around the same size as an American Staffy.

Reactions: Dalisclock

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Your shoes. Your poor shoes.
Ha. Luckily it was neither my dog or my shoes... an old mate of mine's Jack Russell Terrier used to shag his workboots...

Do I need to add 'to completion' for the slower readers?

Apparently not something you want to accidentally discover the end result of when you're half asleep trying to get ready for a 5am start.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
This might be weird but today I learned Gloria Gaynor’a famous anthem “I Will Survive” is, unedited, eight minutes long.

The fuck? And it’s not like a DragonForce song where there are different verses or anything, I genuinely thought I’d hit the repeat button my car stereo. Nope, fade out at 7:58.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
This might be weird but today I learned Gloria Gaynor’a famous anthem “I Will Survive” is, unedited, eight minutes long.

The fuck? And it’s not like a DragonForce song where there are different verses or anything, I genuinely thought I’d hit the repeat button my car stereo. Nope, fade out at 7:58.
You'd be surprised how many famous songs' unedited album versions are way longer than their radio edits. Don Mclean's American Pie clocks in at 8:36. Papa Was A Rolling Stone by The Temptations at 11:46. I Would Do Anything For Love by Meatloaf at a nicely rounded 12:00.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
All too Well (10 Minute Version) by Taylor Swift is 10 minutes and 13 seconds long, it had to be chopped down when she first released it because I guess her she wasn't big enough to have a 10 min song that it more than 10 min.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
In the mid 18th Century, every Guy Fawkes day in Guilford, England, people would riot, make bonfires out of anything flammable and go round looting and attacking people with spiked clubs. It was a regular yearly event, and the police would lock themselves in their police station to avoid it. One time, a police officer was outside, got caught by the rioters and thrown onto a bonfire (but survived), and the army was called in to put an end to it.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
You'd be surprised how many famous songs' unedited album versions are way longer than their radio edits. Don Mclean's American Pie clocks in at 8:36. Papa Was A Rolling Stone by The Temptations at 11:46. I Would Do Anything For Love by Meatloaf at a nicely rounded 12:00.
My grandfather played American Pie so often I used to be able to sing it from memory, and I own BOTH of the Bat out of Hell albums. I would consider any radio edit of American Pie or I Would Do Anything for Love to be nothing short of fucking vandalism. Because those songs have a defined start, middle and end. There's a little story in there and each verse flows into each other even with the chorus to pad the run times a little.

"I Will Survive" however, feels more like a song that could have been three to four minutes tops and still been a winner yet for reasons unfathomable to me it basically repeats itself over and over for a full eight.

I say again, the fuck?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
In the mid 18th Century, every Guy Fawkes day in Guilford, England, people would riot, make bonfires out of anything flammable and go round looting and attacking people with spiked clubs. It was a regular yearly event, and the police would lock themselves in their police station to avoid it. One time, a police officer was outside, got caught by the rioters and thrown onto a bonfire (but survived), and the army was called in to put an end to it.
Apparently some people really Remembered the 5th of November. Poor Cop. That sounds awful.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Apparently Insects can get stressed out and it affects their behaviour.

I mean, I guess that makes sense but I never thought of insects that way. I know animals can get stressed out but the fact insects have tiny ass little brains made me overlook the idea that "stressed out" was a thing with insects.

Then again, Octopi are fucking smart and they don't have bones.

Reactions: thestor

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Apparently Insects can get stressed out and it affects their behaviour.

I mean, I guess that makes sense but I never thought of insects that way. I know animals can get stressed out but the fact insects have tiny ass little brains made me overlook the idea that "stressed out" was a thing with insects.

Then again, Octopi are fucking smart and they don't have bones.
It goes even smaller. A particular species of stentor (single-celled creatures that can get big enough to be seen with the naked eye) will actually escalate responses to being irritated by things (in the example I saw, being poked with a human hair). They can just try to twist away from it at first or ignore it, and eventually give up and go somewhere else. Moreover, how quickly these behaviors happened, and in what order, can be different between individuals.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Found a thing. Enter a year and get a list of words that were used in print for the first time.

Entered my year of birth. Got, among other stuff: anime, latte, sexual predator, beatboxing & microbrew.

Interesting collection. All things people commonly enjoy to this day, except for anime /s

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Found a thing. Enter a year and get a list of words that were used in print for the first time.

Entered my year of birth. Got, among other stuff: anime, latte, sexual predator, beatboxing & microbrew.

Interesting collection. All things people commonly enjoy to this day, except for anime /s
My year gave us adult-onset diabetes, alternative rock and trucker hat.

I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry.

davidmc1158

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020

video cassette recorder, slam dunk, sexual harrassment, peer review, plate tectonics, local area network, life coach, gangbanger, confidentiality agreement, angel dust and ATV.

god-damn I'm old

Reactions: Chimpzy

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden

I got... cybersecurity, misgender, eco-friendly, air quotes and "man up".

I honestly thought "man up" was a much older expression.