Biden helps avert railway strike.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America

They also passed an amendment to add 7 sick days to the labor agreement. I have been informed that as an amendment, the Senate can vote for either so we'll see if The Democrats do actually care about workers or not soon enough...

(I suppose one could call them antiworker no matter what by forcing the workers to take the deal they don't want but baby steps)
Notably, the demand was for 15 sick days.

Reactions: tippy2k2

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Then the transport of goods continues and the railway workers have their demands met.
I like how in reality, when the government overrides the union, you recognize the government at odds with the workers, but as soon as we transition into your fantasy world where the government nationalizes the railways, you just operate under the assumption that the workers will get whatever they ask for.
Found out recently that Spain's (nationalised) railway system is introducing free public transport for short and medium length journeys. Germany's nationally-owned railway system is introducing a full-day go-anywhere pass for less than 2 euros.

Meanwhile, I'm in the UK, and have to shell out £10+ every couple of days for my working commute alone, and a lot more if I want to visit anyone. And the service is also constantly cancelled and delayed.
Various levels of government already own the passenger rail in the US. This strike is about commercial transport.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Roll-call here to see who voted which way on the railway vote: https://clerk.house.gov/Votes/2022490

AOC and Ilhan Omar voted Yea. Uhrm, what's the rationale there?
The alternative was getting nothing, I think they were going to vote to stop the strike either way but the seven day sick day thing has now been stapled on. The Democrats are seeing this as a compromise that gives the workers something. This is also the reason the Republicans almost unanimously voted no.

I'm not saying that this was a completely fair deal, using a law to stop a worker strike is sketchy as fuck, but it should be noted that the rail companies was against even giving them one sick day so this is also a loss for the rail companies.

With all that I can see why the Democrats were willing to compromise, especially since they're about to lose house.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
No, this is factually incorrect. https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2122593119
Far right groups are more numerous, more armed, more radical and more likely to use violence for their political ends.
How can you say the far left is not insane "factually"? Also, violence isn't the only thing that is dangerous.

Says every apologist for fascism.
Why do you guys even post and try to have a discussion if you're just going to throw out words like "fascism" to end any discussions?

Definitely not the former. The latter would be nice.
The far left is freaking insane, not even letting people speak and have an opinion.

Sidestepping whether the old "one extreme is just as bad as the other!", the far left is insignificant. On the flip side, the far right is playing at the big kids table at a level where it's a tad alarming.
What are you talking about? The left actually stops people from speaking and having a different opinion. Then acts like democracy was saved because the midterm predicted red wave didn't happen. Stifling speech for far more anti-democratic than some right-wing militias that don't have to power to do like anything.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Various levels of government already own the passenger rail in the US. This strike is about commercial transport.
Yes, exactly: commercial ownership has failed.

The alternative was getting nothing, I think they were going to vote to stop the strike either way but the seven day sick day thing has now been stapled on. The Democrats are seeing this as a compromise that gives the workers something. This is also the reason the Republicans almost unanimously voted no.

I'm not saying that this was a completely fair deal, using a law to stop a worker strike is sketchy as fuck, but it should be noted that the rail companies was against even giving them one sick day so this is also a loss for the rail companies.

With all that I can see why the Democrats were willing to compromise, especially since they're about to lose house.
Surely the alternative was to refuse the deal and then strike if demands weren't met. You're assuming nothing substantially better could have been accomplished, which doesn't seem true.

Reactions: MrCalavera

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
How can you say the far left is not insane "factually"? Also, violence isn't the only thing that is dangerous.

Why do you guys even post and try to have a discussion if you're just going to throw out words like "fascism" to end any discussions?

The far left is freaking insane, not even letting people speak and have an opinion.

What are you talking about? The left actually stops people from speaking and having a different opinion. Then acts like democracy was saved because the midterm predicted red wave didn't happen. Stifling speech for far more anti-democratic than some right-wing militias that don't have to power to do like anything.
What the entire fuck are you complaining about? The "far left" in the USA doesn't have the power to organize a boycott of Chik Fil A let alone anything of actual value. The closest thing to "far left" we have in government is quibbling over giving rail workers a whole 7 sick days. It's pathetic.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Surely the alternative was to refuse the deal and then strike if demands weren't met. You're assuming nothing substantially better could have been accomplished, which doesn't seem true.
The “all or nothing” mindset can be a dangerous double edged sword that can easily backfire.

Say the rail workers did strike because they thought seven sick days wasn’t enough, and because they went on strike the US economy tanks and sends the country into a massively depression. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people can’t get necessary medication, foodstuffs, clothing etc and get sick, starve or die as a result.

The vast majority of the country is likely to blame the rail workers for not compromising.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Easily, watch. The far left is not insane, factually.
And no. Violence is the major threat to democracy. Whatever conspiracies you have about the "far left" being against free speech and stopping people from having an opinion are just that - conspiracies.
Meanwhile the far right is actually happening.
Its the difference between wildfires being caused by Jewish space lasers, and the founder of the Oath Keepers being found guiltily of sedition. One is real, the other is a Fox News talking point to get old people to panic buy survival seeds and donate to Ted Cruz.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Easily, watch. The far left is not insane, factually.
And no. Violence is the major threat to democracy.
That doesn’t make violence the only thing that is dangerous. A lot of the far-right, Fox News type craziness and violence started with conspiracy theories and talking.
Hate speech and extremism starts with talking before enough people get riled up and move to violence.

Whatever conspiracies you have about the "far left" being against free speech and stopping people from having an opinion are just that - conspiracies.
Would you say doxxing people for saying something you don’t like or something you disagree with is trying to stop someone from having an opinion?
What about calling someone you disagree with a fascist then ignoring anything they try to say afterwards? Or immediately dismissing what someone has to say simply because they don’t conform to your specific political beliefs?
Edited to fix a typo.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
That doesn’t make violence the only thing that is dangerous. A lot of the far-right, Fox News type craziness and violence started with conspiracy theories and talking.
Hate speech and extremism starts with talking before enough people get riled up and move to violence.
Fair, but speech is only speech. People still have to act on it. Its one thing to believe something crazy, its another to do something crazy. That's when the law gets involved.

Would you say doxxing people for saying something you don’t like or something you disagree with is trying to stop someone from having an opinion?
What about calling someone you disagree with a fascist then ignoring anything they try to say afterwards? Or immediately dismissing what someone has to say simply because they don’t conform to your specific political beliefs?
Edited to fix a typo.
I have no problem with calling some fascist if they are that. None what so ever. Nor do I have any problems with dismissing people outright. We're adults. I can dismiss anyone I want for whatever reason I want. Same with you and the next guy and that women down the street. No one is entitled to be taken seriously. If someone comes out and says "Fair warning, I'm a flat earther and the moon landing was fake. Now here's my cinnamon roll recipe" I am fully capable and happy to ignore everything he has to say about the proper dough consistency and how long to proof it. He may have good info, but given his other beliefs I'm not going to risk it. That's perfectly valid and a very healthy thing for people to do.

Doxxing people I have mixed feelings about. It depends on the means you get their information and what you do with it. Like swatting? Fuck that! Or harassing them or stalking them or releasing medical information, etc...all that can fuck right off.

But just calling an employer and being like "Did you know your employee Bill Billson goes by the Youtube handle "FuckTheJews&FagsDeathToBrownPeople and frequently posts pro-holocausts videos and has an OnlyFans of them jerking it to pictures of African torture?" and Bill being fired...that I'm no as against.
So many times what the right thinks of as free speech is freedom from consequence speech. Anyone can call you an asshole for having an opinion or saying something dumb. Your boss can fire you for going on a racist rant. Your wife can leave you for being in a werido cult. That's all fine. That's people expressing themselves.
The Government can't bring charges against you unless it was calls to violence. That's freedom of speech. The government can't charge you, nothing more.
Like that idiot Musk saying Apple is against free speech in the US because they wont buy adds on his stupid little social media app. That's not freedom of speech. Twitter isn't a constitutional right.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Can we go one month without a national crisis occurring? Obviously, the company was playing games with the worker's labor and winning at that, but if the trains stop food prices will go up, and given the shortage of truck drivers it means they will be driving/delivering ham more than iPhones due to one being a necessity. But of course, this country wants these workers' wages to be low and benefits lower for their work despite it being THE essential industry.

I know Biden was the new normal, but can I have like 2008 to 2016 normal please?

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Fair, but speech is only speech. People still have to act on it. Its one thing to believe something crazy, its another to do something crazy. That's when the law gets involved.
Actions follow talk. Going on and on about how the Republicans/Right wants to kill anyone not white and they want to burn heretics at the stake can lead to some lunatic shooting up some Right-leaning establishment.
All these years of claiming cops only want to kill black people has made it so that every single time a black person gets shot by the cops it’s painted as racially motivated, regardless of context or circumstance. And some of these shootings have sparked deadly riots.
The anti-cop talk also led to CHOP/CHAZ, which turned into a crime ridden hellhole right away.
Talk has consequence and can be dangerous without being violent.

I have no problem with calling some fascist if they are that. None what so ever. Nor do I have any problems with dismissing people outright. We're adults. I can dismiss anyone I want for whatever reason I want. Same with you and the next guy and that women down the street. No one is entitled to be taken seriously. If someone comes out and says "Fair warning, I'm a flat earther and the moon landing was fake. Now here's my cinnamon roll recipe" I am fully capable and happy to ignore everything he has to say about the proper dough consistency and how long to proof it. He may have good info, but given his other beliefs I'm not going to risk it. That's perfectly valid and a very healthy thing for people to do.
What’s your measuring stick for fascism? How do you decide who is a fascist and who isn’t?

Doxxing people I have mixed feelings about. It depends on the means you get their information and what you do with it. Like swatting? Fuck that! Or harassing them or stalking them or releasing medical information, etc...all that can fuck right off.

But just calling an employer and being like "Did you know your employee Bill Billson goes by the Youtube handle "FuckTheJews&FagsDeathToBrownPeople and frequently posts pro-holocausts videos and has an OnlyFans of them jerking it to pictures of African torture?" and Bill being fired...that I'm no as against.
What about doxxing someone because you think you personally find something they said to be racist/transphobic? Are you against that or is it fair game?
Edited to fix a typo.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The “all or nothing” mindset can be a dangerous double edged sword that can easily backfire.

Say the rail workers did strike because they thought seven sick days wasn’t enough, and because they went on strike the US economy tanks and sends the country into a massively depression. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people can’t get necessary medication, foodstuffs, clothing etc and get sick, starve or die as a result.

The vast majority of the country is likely to blame the rail workers for not compromising.
Nah, though the media will certainly claim so. Kinda hard to call the rail labor lazy fucks who want to hurt people when they work 7 days a week, have 0 sick days, and take demerits for using personal time off to go to the doctor.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Nah, though the media will certainly claim so. Kinda hard to call the rail labor lazy fucks who want to hurt people when they work 7 days a week, have 0 sick days, and take demerits for using personal time off to go to the doctor.
Not so hard if they were offered seven days, said “fuck off” then went on strike because they wanted more and refused to compromise.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
What about doxxing someone because you think you personally find something they said to be racist/transphobic? Are you against that or is it fair game?
Edited to fix a typo.
Honestly I leave it up to the populace to determine. Despite how stupid people act on the internet, the average person is a shit load smarter than we give them credit for.
Going back to our example Bill Billson, if he's doxxed and we call his employer and say he's posting transphobic YouTube videos, and link his channel and its a 40k lore channel with the occasional painting tutorial, I trust the employer to know better.
Honestly day light is the best medicine for most shit, good or bad. Someone says something racist, they can be held accountable. What's considered racist is up to the individual, but most people have a shared cultural understanding.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Honestly I leave it up to the populace to determine. Despite how stupid people act on the internet, the average person is a shit load smarter than we give them credit for.
Are you okay with JK Rowing being doxxed and getting death threats?

What about someone who says/thinks that eleven or twelve year olds are too young to begin transitioning to a different gender?

Or someone thinking that a male who claims to be transgender, but is physically male (still has a penis and testicles), and had not begun transitioning should not be sent to a woman’s prison or the woman’s wing/floor/suite of a mental hospital?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Not so hard if they were offered seven days, said “fuck off” then went on strike because they wanted more and refused to compromise.
Man, most of us have at least 3 *and* have a couple days off per week, which rail workers don't currently have.

Anybody who doesn't habitually deepthroat a billionaire's boots isn't gonna think that's unreasonable for a wildly profitable and essential business to provide.

Fucking hell, a significant portion of the population would be in favor of nationalizing the fuckers