Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Well, what else are you supposed to call citizens of the United States of America? USians?
Well... that's the other trouble... no good or clear name based on the name of the country...

That being said, I probably would suggest that, if you do happen to rename the country, it might be best to change the United States part. It's false advertising

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
The Standford list is the usual insanity I've gotten used to from woke world, but if it's that offensive, why not use terms like "North American" or "South American?" No-one bats an eyelid when using terms like "European," "Asian," or "African" to describe a point of origin, just go by the continental descriptors.

On the other hand, I don't know if where I live makes me "Australasian" or "Oceanian," so make of that what you will. 0_0

Reactions: Generals

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The Standford list is the usual insanity I've gotten used to from woke world, but if it's that offensive, why not use terms like "North American" or "South American?" No-one bats an eyelid when using terms like "European," "Asian," or "African" to describe a point of origin, just go by the continental descriptors.

On the other hand, I don't know if where I live makes me "Australasian" or "Oceanian," so make of that what you will. 0_0
I mean, there wouldn't be a problem with, like, North American as long as it actually meant North American and not USAian

Reactions: Dalisclock

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I remember unthinkingly using the term American to refer to a Canadian friend/coworker, and they objected because they thought I was assuming they were from the US. I clarified that I was using "American" to refer to people from the continent of America, but that didn't seem to cut mustard.

My two cents: it is indeed a bit silly from a logical point of view, but its so widely understood now that you're more likely to irritate people (including non-US Americans) by using it any other way.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The vast majority of the world doesn't care higher education, especially for women. The vast majority of the world bans gay marriage, and usually any gay interactions. The vast majority of the world doesn't care if workers die on the job just to get a stadium up in time for the winter. The vast majority of the world believes in child and slave labour

Maybe, what the vast majority of the world cares about isn't actually that important

Dude, it's literally stupid how one country gets to be named for the whole continent just because they pretended they owned it all 200 years ago. People have been saying the exact something for 200 YEARS. It's got nothing to do with college professors. People were saying this before there were even colleges in the US. It's got to do with it being an utterly stupid notion

Now, I don't know if there is legit anything we can do about it know because it's so ingrained. That doesn't make it less stupid.
I bet the actual people care about all those things. If people didn't care about those things, then why are those things seen as bad by developed nations? Just because the government told the people they are bad? Was it the US government that made it so slavery was illegal and not the people actually caring about slavery and wanting it abolished?

There was a bunch of other words deemed as "harmful", it's ridiculous. Everyone knows when someone says American it's referencing them as a US citizen and not of the continents of America. Also, if you wanna be so fucking woke, why is Americans hurtful to the other people that live in the Americas (when referring to US citizens) when isn't allowing white Europeans to name these lands the actual hurtful thing? Shouldn't say Mexicans be upset they are Americans when they are then being called a name they never signed up for? Shouldn't we call the lands whatever they were called by the people that originally lived on the lands? You say anything to just say I'm wrong about something, even someone as beyond fucking ridiculous as all these "harmful" words. It says that saying a blind study is harmful because it furthers an ableist culture... Yet you'll take that side because I'm on the other side and you can't be on the same side.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I bet the actual people care about all those things. If people didn't care about those things, then why are those things seen as bad by developed nations? Just because the government told the people they are bad? Was it the US government that made it so slavery was illegal and not the people actually caring about slavery and wanting it abolished?
...so if these countries governments are doing things like adding third gender markers to licenses or said people's language has multiple gender sets of pronouns, it's safe to say that the people there care about those things, yeah?
There was a bunch of other words deemed as "harmful", it's ridiculous. Everyone knows when someone says American it's referencing them as a US citizen and not of the continents of America. Also, if you wanna be so fucking woke, why is Americans hurtful to the other people that live in the Americas (when referring to US citizens) when isn't allowing white Europeans to name these lands the actual hurtful thing? Shouldn't say Mexicans be upset they are Americans when they are then being called a name they never signed up for? Shouldn't we call the lands whatever they were called by the people that originally lived on the lands? You say anything to just say I'm wrong about something, even someone as beyond fucking ridiculous as all these "harmful" words. It says that saying a blind study is harmful because it furthers an ableist culture... Yet you'll take that side because I'm on the other side and you can't be on the same side.
I mean, I'm mostly on my side because you came in saying "look at this stupid new woke thing" and it's complaining about something I heard from foreigners decades ago. Which kinda means it's not new, y'know? If the people of Mexico want to change their name ala New Zealand/Aotearoa, it's not really any of my business.

Quite frankly, I also don't really care if they rename blind studies or master/slave circuits or male/female plugs, you know?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
...so if these countries governments are doing things like adding third gender markers to licenses or said people's language has multiple gender sets of pronouns, it's safe to say that the people there care about those things, yeah?
I mean, I'm mostly on my side because you came in saying "look at this stupid new woke thing" and it's complaining about something I heard from foreigners decades ago. Which kinda means it's not new, y'know? If the people of Mexico want to change their name ala New Zealand/Aotearoa, it's not really any of my business.

Quite frankly, I also don't really care if they rename blind studies or master/slave circuits or male/female plugs, you know?
Do they still use the master/slave configuration? I don’t remember seeing it once since SATA had made it way to full adoption.

Generals

Elite Member
May 19, 2020

I guess the word "American" is problematic now...

Thank god when I went to college none of this bullshit was happening.
All I can do is feel sorry for all the students and parents who waste their money on expensive tuitions at these universities.
This reminds me of the British private school which got downgraded in education quality because they wasted more and more time teaching pupils things like the existence of 64 genders instead of actual useful things. Apparently parents were angry and shocked to learn they were paying huge sums for ever worsening education...

Last edited:

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
All I can do is feel sorry for all the students and parents who waste their money on expensive tuitions at these universities.
This reminds me of the British private school which got downgraded in education quality because they wasted more and more time teaching pupils things like the existence of 64 genders instead of actual useful things. Apparently parents were angry and shocked to learn they were paying huge sums for ever worsening education...
1. If you believe that the students themselves aren't (in general) fully behind changes such as these, you're sorely out of touch with today's youth.

2. The language guide was an internal document meant as part of a style guide for Stanford's own websites. Style guides often include sections such as words-to-use and words-to-avoid for (occasionally ridiculous) reasons on how to "best represent the brand".

3. How exactly does referring to citizens of the United States as "US citizens" rather than "Americans" downgrade the quality of education (and unparalleled networking opportunities) that Stanford offers?

Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
This reminds me of the British private school which got downgraded in education quality because they wasted more and more time teaching pupils things like the existence of 64 genders instead of actual useful things.
I guarantee this didn't happen.

Reactions: Thaluikhain