Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Generals

Elite Member
May 19, 2020
I guarantee this didn't happen.
News articles seem to disagree.
Your guarantee and Thal's notion of reality seem to be of very poor quality.

Last edited:

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Shouldn't we call the lands whatever they were called by the people that originally lived on the lands?
Closest thing you've ever gotten to being woke.

First one is pay-gated and the second says nothing about 64 genders. It just says that a minority of parents are scared out of their fucking minds of Critical Race Theory, which is an advanced law school class, and of students being taught about identity.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

Right, so the actual Ofsted report in question is available in full here and makes no mention of these "64 genders".

What happened was one parent claimed it, and the Times ran with it as a statement of fact in the headline, without fact-checking.

Y'see the quotation marks in the Times headline? Really common trick, that: they don't need to fact-check it, because they're technically just reporting the fact the claim was made. Not that the actual incident is true.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buyetyen

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

I disagree, no history class will be perfect, my world history class wouldn't teach me much about World War 2, and wouldn't stop teaching me about the Vietnam War, and nothing else about the Cold War. Most of it is controlled by a teacher who thinks their lived experience matters over what is the most important event in history so whoever teaches it will skew it. I had to learn about much of World War 2, and the Cold War by myself. And it went the opposite direction as well, my conservative AP US history teacher never really taught me about labor unions, instead talking generally about the progressive era, and trying to mush as much information as possible. I have forgotten 99% of what I learned in those classes because they didn't apply to my life.

Whereas today most of the domestic political science scene is about the clash between the American order and rising powers after 1945 in foreign policy, the clash between liberals and conservatives after Reagan in domestic policy, and the consequences of 9/11 for the remainder.

Generals

Elite Member
May 19, 2020
3. How exactly does referring to citizens of the United States as "US citizens" rather than "Americans" downgrade the quality of education (and unparalleled networking opportunities) that Stanford offers?
It isn't about the word "American" specifically. It's about the general stupidity of the entire idea these words are somehow bad and normal people give a damn about the use of the words "American", "Blind study",...
The one thing that is funnier than the guidelines is seeing people even considering defending such nonsense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Right, so the actual Ofsted report in question is available in full here and makes no mention of these "64 genders".

What happened was one parent claimed it, and the Times ran with it as a statement of fact in the headline, without fact-checking.

Y'see the quotation marks in the Times headline? Really common trick, that: they don't need to fact-check it, because they're technically just reporting the fact the claim was made. Not that the actual incident is true.
You know, it's like Trump called everything FAKE NEWS and somehow some people took this as the News never being fake

Reactions: Dalisclock

Generals

Elite Member
May 19, 2020

To be quite clear, whether the 64 genders example is real doesn't even matter, it would have been just an example of neo progressive bullshit being taught instead of usefull classes. And focusing too much on far left nonsense instead of useful classes is what caused the downgrade. Here are some parts of the guardian article:

The teaching of middle-school humanities, including English, also led to a focus on social issues rather than subject knowledge and skills, the report said, leaving some pupils feeling underprepared for the next stage of their schooling.

The report added: “Sometimes, however, teaching places much more weight on the school’s approach to social justice than on learning subject-specific knowledge and skills.”

I Am very happy my parents didn't pay 36 000 a year for my education and I didn't end up wasting my time on neo progressive nonsense.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
To be quite clear, whether the 64 genders example is real doesn't even matter, it would have been just an example...
Wtf. Yes. It does matter. Jfc of course it matters! This shit cannot just be handwaved away if it doesn't validate your prebuilt preconceptions, I see too many people repeat that exact bullishit, saying the fact that they believed some crap in the first place is proof of the problem being real. It isn't fucking true. It's just same old scapegoats to make old and ignorant people angry about ghosts and shadows, as always, so they can't effectively identify who's actually screwing them over.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
To be quite clear, whether the 64 genders example is real doesn't even matter, it would have been just an example of neo progressive bullshit being taught instead of usefull classes. And focusing too much on far left nonsense instead of useful classes is what caused the downgrade. Here are some parts of the guardian article:

The teaching of middle-school humanities, including English, also led to a focus on social issues rather than subject knowledge and skills, the report said, leaving some pupils feeling underprepared for the next stage of their schooling.

The report added: “Sometimes, however, teaching places much more weight on the school’s approach to social justice than on learning subject-specific knowledge and skills.”

I Am very happy my parents didn't pay 36 000 a year for my education and I didn't end up wasting my time on neo progressive nonsense.
OK, but my "guarantee this didn't happen" was specifically about the genders thing, which people are all too quick to believe (and uncritically repeat) because it fits a narrative they've been sold by the right-wing press.

This is the same scapegoaty brand of nonsense that led to Republican congresspeople repeating the falsehood about kids having litter boxes in classrooms. Zero truth to it. It's fabricated controversy to get people angry at convenient targets.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

It was made up dude. It is very much is nonsense because it's made up.

It's what you call a strawman. You fell for it

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
I thought whether or not something actually occurred was irrelevant as to whether or not it was fact, if it could have. Or did that get thrown out a few days later when that particular story proved to have actually happened?

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
So I am currently reading Barbara F Walter's book the coming US Civil War, and there was something there that caught my eye.

""But democratization is possible. Though the path to democracy is treacherous, the risk of civil war fades when a country takes its time, evolving its political system gradually. Mexico weathered democratization relatively peacefully. Its transition lasted nearly twenty years, from 1982 until 2000, when the National Action Party (PAN) became the first opposition party to win a presidential election since 1929. The state remained strong and continued to function while democratic institutions matured. Slow reform reduces uncertainty for a country’s citizens and is less threatening to incumbent elites, setting a conciliatory tone and providing them with opportunities to gracefully relinquish power. The result is often less violence.""

Walter, Barbara F.. How Civil Wars Start (p. 19). Crown. Kindle Edition.

Wait what, Mexico is the example you want to use? A country with cartels everywhere who duke it out on the streets, yes while the country is not in a political civil war(ex. Los Zetas aren't marching to Mexico City), it has armed groups everywhere from Sinaloa to Mexico City. it's not a good example of a stable state. It may as well be a civil war, and I literally saw people on pickup trucks with machine guns on top like Syria once when the Mexcian president wanted to arrest the Sinaloa cartel leader's son.

This is a better list of examples minus Mexico.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I thought whether or not something actually occurred was irrelevant as to whether or not it was fact, if it could have. Or did that get thrown out a few days later when that particular story proved to have actually happened?
...? Obviously whether it happened matters to whether its fact.

Where are you getting it from that this instance actually happened? It's definitely not in the Ofsted report we're discussing, because I've directly linked the full report itself.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
What is a "useful" middle school class?

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
...? Obviously whether it happened matters to whether its fact.
I take it you don't recall the story regarding the 10 year old seeking an abortion from the Roe v Wade thread? To quote the Washington Post: " With news reports around the globe and now a presidential imprimatur, however, the story has acquired the status of a “fact” no matter its provenance. "

WaPo fact checkers literally claimed that whether or not the event actually occurred was irrelevant as to whether or not the story was "fact" or not, essentially that people were talking about it enough to make it "fact" regardless. Then several days after WaPo published those words, there was an arrest that lined up that confirmed the story.

If whether or not it actually happened is irrelevant to if it's fact if enough people are talking about it, then it just comes down to arguing what the bar for "enough people" is.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I take it you don't recall the story regarding the 10 year old seeking an abortion from the Roe v Wade thread? To quote the Washington Post: " With news reports around the globe and now a presidential imprimatur, however, the story has acquired the status of a “fact” no matter its provenance. "

WaPo fact checkers literally claimed that whether or not the event actually occurred was irrelevant as to whether or not the story was "fact" or not, essentially that people were talking about it enough to make it "fact" regardless. Then several days after WaPo published those words, there was an arrest that lined up that confirmed the story.

If whether or not it actually happened is irrelevant to if it's fact if enough people are talking about it, then it just comes down to arguing what the bar for "enough people" is.
But the Washington Post saying that was absurd and ridiculous. Why would we give credence to their idiotic standard?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
...so if these countries governments are doing things like adding third gender markers to licenses or said people's language has multiple gender sets of pronouns, it's safe to say that the people there care about those things, yeah?
I mean, I'm mostly on my side because you came in saying "look at this stupid new woke thing" and it's complaining about something I heard from foreigners decades ago. Which kinda means it's not new, y'know? If the people of Mexico want to change their name ala New Zealand/Aotearoa, it's not really any of my business.

Quite frankly, I also don't really care if they rename blind studies or master/slave circuits or male/female plugs, you know?
A very vocal minority complaining and getting their way doesn't mean the "people" care. People didn't care about the name of monkeypox, yet it got renamed to mpox for idiotic reasons.

Why? Words have more than one meaning. Many words can be used derogatory and not derogatory. Do we have to remove all words that have a derogatory meaning? Do we have to edit the movie Tron and rename the Master Control Program to something else? Do we have to rename monkeys to something else because it can be used by racists?

Closest thing you've ever gotten to being woke.
Being cordial and respectful to people is about intent and not use of words. Someone can be friendly and even warm using a racist term while another could be obviously racist to someone not using any racial words. It's not the words that's the problem. The logic of the argument of why "American" shouldn't be used makes no sense because people from Mexico or Chile or Paraguay wouldn't actually want to be called Americans.

But the Washington Post saying that was absurd and ridiculous. Why would we give credence to their idiotic standard?
Because if you don't then DEMOCRACY DIES IN DARKNESS!!!!!