Funny events in anti-woke world

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
No I’m not ignoring it. Because to me it shouldn’t have been an issue what religion they picked; I just find the calculated nature of choosing one not out of genuine faith or feeling of enlightenment but social standing to be fuckin’ weird.
I think your confusion may be a symptom of the societal perspective that religion is supposed to defy reason, rather than be a consequence of it.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
I think your confusion may be a symptom of the societal perspective that religion is supposed to defy reason, rather than be a consequence of it.
"Actually I follow this religion now because it's more convenient." Cool.

We're actually giving religious people the benefit of the doubt and assuming they sincerely believe the religion they practice. Thanks for letting us know it's all performative though.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
We're actually giving religious people the benefit of the doubt and assuming they sincerely believe the religion they practice.
You're not. You're infantilizing the religious as incapable of making rational decisions, so much so that an example of someone making one is disingenuous in your eyes.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Silly me, I thought one followed a religion because its tenants spoke to you in deeply profound ways and you felt that this message and way of life was one you felt could help you live your best life through love and good deeds. Because they spent time reflecting upon themselves and the world around them, really interrogating who they are as a person and why the want to embrace this faith.

Or more pertinent to the example, choosing to raise one's children in a faith simply because its the same one as your neighbours for the sake of fitting in socially strikes me again as fuckin' weird, but also disrespectful.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Silly me, I thought one followed a religion because its tenants spoke to you in deeply profound ways and you felt that this message and way of life was one you felt could help you live your best life through love and good deeds. Because they spent time reflecting upon themselves and the world around them, really interrogating who they are as a person and why the want to embrace this faith.

Or more pertinent to the example, choosing to raise one's children in a faith simply because its the same one as your neighbours for the sake of fitting in socially strikes me again as fuckin' weird, but also disrespectful.
One also wonders why anyone would want to remain a religious minority when they can just convert to the local norm and avoid persecution, if faith wasn't an issue.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Approximately zero people in the history of the world have converted based on faith. There is no logic to finding belief in a religion before joining, that would basically require divine revelation.
I actually personally know a couple people that did.

Not going into whether i believe that revelation to be the real thing or not, but it certainly was real enough for them to prompt a conversion.

It is rare but certainly does happen.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016

A very long time ago, at school, the line taken in RE teaching was 'You might as well believe in (Christian) god because if it's real the repercussions of not believing are severe, but if it's not, what have you lost*?', which, to me, seems not a very good way to approach the concept of belief.

*Sunday mornings.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
A very long time ago, at school, the line taken in RE teaching was 'You might as well believe in (Christian) god because if it's real the repercussions of not believing are severe, but if it's not, what have you lost*?', which, to me, seems not a very good way to approach the concept of belief.

*Sunday mornings.
Pascal's Wager:

Though see the "misunderstanding" section right below the linked part.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
No, it isn't unconnected. It's just a different ordering of cause and effect then you're imagining. Do you think I am a Catholic because I believe the tenets of the Catholic Church, or do I believe those tenets because I am Catholic? Obviously, there's a bit of a circular relationship there, both directions are true at present, but how does one enter that closed circle?
I believe that truly being an adherent of [x religion] and believing in [x religion] are the same thing.

If someone is claiming membership/adherence without actually believing it, then they're just nominally a member/adherent, and it's empty/untrue. And if someone believes in the religion without calling themselves an adherent, then they're just playing linguistic games to avoid a descriptive term for whatever reason.

People born into a religious community are easy, we obviously begin with membership and are taught belief. Conversion is more complicated, but I still think the entry point is effectively the same. Do you imagine someone independently reached the conclusions of the Catholic faith, without experiencing any of the tradition, and then joined the Church because it's what they already believed? Seems unlikely to me. You go to a church to find faith and to practice it.
Obviously nobody reaches the conclusions of the Catholic faith independently. But someone learns about them, reads about them and agrees, then at that point they're converted.

If they just join up to experience the tradition of it, but don't believe it's true, then they're not a Catholic. They're a tourist. If they later become convinced, then they're a Catholic-- and that's the point at which the conversion takes place.

Similarly, if someone calls themself an atheist to fit into a particular group and see how they like hanging out with them, despite believing in a deity, they're not an atheist. They're just calling themselves one for other reasons. If they later stop believing in the deity, then they're an atheist.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
You're not. You're infantilizing the religious as incapable of making rational decisions, so much so that an example of someone making one is disingenuous in your eyes.
No. I believe the thing I said I believe not the thing you said I believe. I assume people follow their religion because they sincerely believe it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
You know, I always knew conservative Christians were in it for the clout and legal perks, but it's still jarring to hear it out loud.

The again, Christianity mysteriously got new prohibitions against masks and vaccines recently, soooo

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must

Right-wing activist James O’Keefe resigned Monday morning from his position leading Project Veritas, the conservative group he founded, after clashing for weeks with his board.

O’Keefe, who became a star on the right by targeting journalists and liberal groups in hidden-camera stings, was placed on paid leave earlier this month amid a dispute with the nonprofit’s board. The board reversed O’Keefe’s firing of two top executives, and received a lengthy memo from unhappy employees detailing O’Keefe’s allegedly “outright cruel” conduct.

A video of O’Keefe announcing his resignation was posted to the video website Vimeo.

(The video does exist, not sure why it saying otherwise)

The news that O’Keefe had been sidelined in the group he founded provoked outrage on the right, with many conservative pundits tweeting that Project Veritas would be nothing without him. Project Veritas’s board and remaining executives had tried to heal the rift, insisting in a bizarre tweet last week under the organization’s name that O’Keefe was “alive and well.” Just days before the resignation, the board put out a statement insisting that its members “all love James.”

O’Keefe and the board didn’t respond to immediate requests for comment.

O’Keefe’s resignation was first announced on Twitter by Neil McCabe, a reporter at conservative cable channel One America News. McCabe told The Daily Beast that O’Keefe resigned from the group without striking a severance deal with the board.

“He just resigns and walks out the door to start a new life,” McCabe said. “Now we’ll see: does the organization he created survive?”

Shame.

the-boys-the-boys-series.gif

Last edited:

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023

Actually, I lean somewhat to Tstorm's view. Religion can be believed in for itself, but for many people it's really a form of community where the metaphysics, philosophy and theology aren't very important. The vast increase in atheism/agnositicism in the West partly represents these people increasingly realising that there is no community advantage to be had in religion - or that they can just get community somewhere else. And of course, a lot of that community advantage of religion was the overt social stigma of being non-religious.

However, I also absolutely reserve the right to point out that those people don't really have faith. And that politicians are one of the few professions where there is still social pressure to appear to have faith. Thus, Nikki Haley.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Obviously nobody reaches the conclusions of the Catholic faith independently. But someone learns about them, reads about them and agrees, then at that point they're converted.
There is significantly more to the experience of religion than knowledge of the doctrine. Converting to a religion you haven't experienced based on finding the doctrines agreeable would be like calling yourself a fan of a band because you read their lyrics. You don't know the actual experience by reading about it.

We could debate the precise point at which "conversion" has happened, but you're not gonna actually know what it is without participating in the ceremony of it, and at the point you've decided to go do that with the possibility of conversion, I think where you draw the specific line is kinda moot.