A Formal Thread about Activision/Blizzard

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
So basically those retailers are saying that work from home is removing their customer base, which means they can't stay open, which means they loose everything they've built and all their employees loose their jobs.

Fuck those people I guess. How dare they be so greedy as to want to be able to stay in business and keep people employeed. Bunch of monsters.
Someone's experiencing the sowing/reaping dissociation of the free market

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
So basically those retailers are saying that work from home is removing their customer base, which means they can't stay open, which means they loose everything they've built and all their employees loose their jobs.

Fuck those people I guess. How dare they be so greedy as to want to be able to stay in business and keep people employeed. Bunch of monsters.
Yeah. Saying everyone's day should be measurably worse so you can maintain your business is bad actually. Businesses become redundant or obsolete all the time and need to pivot or become irrelevant. For example Stores mainly selling physical media? Not so much a thing anymore.

It would also encourage more businesses to exist around residential areas. Before covid I worked for a small chain of coffee shops. Our city center shops were the busiest. The one near the trainstation busiest by far. When Covid hit our coffee shop in a small village started earning what two of our city center stores combined earned.

The shop I work in now is in a commuter town that always got by with one person behind the bar until covid hit. With so many people working from home even now we have at least 2 on any given day and 3 on the weekend because now there's more business outside of the city than before. 2 other shops have opened in the same town since covid and all three of us are having solid turnover.

I plan on opening my own specialty coffee shop in a small rural town over the next couple of years, a place where before covid it really wouldn't have been feasible because the market just wasn't there but now with more remote work more of that demographic are living in that area. It also has the added benefit of people are able to move and buy in cheaper areas because they can bring their work with them.

So workers save money and have better work-life balance. Businesses can thrive outside of major commercial hubs, housing doesn't have to be concentrated to specific areas which will, at least in theory, help with housing costs.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

No, dude. Those with the reach and wealth required to lobby central government are not staying open on a shoestring budget, struggling to stay afloat. They are enormously profitable chain outlets.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Who would take a job they didn't want or weren't able to physically goto? People might have wanted to work from home, but they didn't and they didn't mass quit because they weren't able to.
Are you serious?

The majority of people work in jobs they don't want. They have to work to pay bills and rent. Just quitting if you don't like an aspect of your job is not an option for most people, for whom the loss of income would be dangerous.

WFH is not sustainable. It's been shown to be a hinderance.
Bollocks has it. Research generally tends to show there's no appreciable loss of productivity.

a lot of games got delayed and pushed back because it was hard to set people up, and get the chain of work rolling in order to get the product out. People adjusted to it and things have started to move again, but doesn't really mean it's sustainable. And clearly businesses like Morgan Stanley, Tesla, Golman Sacs, and many more feel the same way.
No: the manager/owner class in those businesses feel the same way. Coincidentally also the people least likely to need to go into the office themselves.

Games were delayed not because of WFH, but often because of other impacts of the pandemic: sickness, burnout. And if a game is delayed in order for its developers to have humane working conditions, then I'm all for that. Too often gamers put their own immediate gratification above the mental and physical wellbeing of the people who made those games.

The office is set up with all the tools needed for all employees to get shit done, a home is not. Even something as simple as getting a piece of art approved is so much harder to do remotely. You have to send the art file off to the right people, wait for them to see it, they then have to write up feedback and suggested changes, wait for you to see that, all just to get an art file done. Not to mention the misunderstandings that can occur over the phone or through an e-mail. And if you needed clarification it would only further add delay to getting it done.

Meanwhile in an office you buzz Bill ask him to come look, he comes over looks at it with you and can physically point and direct his ideas to you and then move on. Plus the added bonus of you actually interacted with a person. And anything you don't understand in reguards to the feedback, can instantly be clarified and exampled.
Absolutely none of this is impossible to do with a video call and sharescreen. Even when I'm in the office, the majority of my communication is via email or video call.

I actually had to fire someone who refused to come back to the office 2 days a week. They wanted to only have to come to work once a month, and it led to a lot of miscommunication, and delays in getting product made. So when we decided that the artist needed to come into the office more often they refused and we let them go. Got another local artist with a better skillset immediately and even pay them more because they have more skills and can do more with the tools.
That's some cool anecdotal evidence, but very unpersuasive and completely unrelatable to my own situation and millions of others. Productivity on average does not suffer.

Ya know what actually does harm productivity? A five day work week instead of a four day one. But I don't see the same lobbyists agitating for that change.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
It isn't just AB asking people to get back to the office by the way. A lot of places are demanding that, and most of them are not being as generous as AB by only asking for 2-3 days a week. A lot of people are being forced to either return to the office or quit.
Which just reinforces everything I said previously. Corporations cannot be trusted, period.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Have worked at home for 13 years. Love it (to the extent that I enjoy working at all). Get a lot more done than when I used to do the same job working with other people. All work, none of the bants or drama.

mirbrownbread

Elite Member
Nov 16, 2022
Belgium
Country
Belgium
Have worked at home for 13 years. Love it (to the extent that I enjoy working at all). Get a lot more done than when I used to do the same job working with other people. All work, none of the bants or drama.
Honestly: do you have more or less time to game that way? :)

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Who would take a job they didn't want or weren't able to physically goto? People might have wanted to work from home, but they didn't and they didn't mass quit because they weren't able to.
I have seen people quit because the commune was too long. Or because their significant other got a job elsewhere and it wasn't possible to live near both places. I have also seen people turn down job offers after looking for nearby apartments/houses. And i have seen WFH regularly come up during interviews for years.

WFH is not sustainable. It's been shown to be a hinderance. Just because company's have been forced to have people WFH or not even opperate at all, doesn't mean it's a sustainable productivity level.
Nonsense. Most companies did just fine with WHF once they actually got it running.

The office is set up with all the tools needed for all employees to get shit done, a home is not. Even something as simple as getting a piece of art approved is so much harder to do remotely. You have to send the art file off to the right people, wait for them to see it, they then have to write up feedback and suggested changes, wait for you to see that, all just to get an art file done.
Oh really ? If i want to see art (or something) approved with WFH, i scedule a meeting in Teams or whatever, share my screen with everyone and discuss it. If i want to do hat in person, i reserve a meeting room, schedule an in person meeting, show the picture via a projector connected to some laptop and discuss it. Not much difference.
If i only need to consult one person, i can make a call (and also share a screen) or use the Teams chat (where i can just put the picture in). It has not to be a meeting all the time. But "making a call" was also the common approach before everyone moved to WFH. If people don't actually sit in the very same room, they don't seem to prefer in person meetings all that much.

Not to mention the misunderstandings that can occur over the phone or through an e-mail. And if you needed clarification it would only further add delay to getting it done.
I have found that the ability to share screens with everyone and the ability to look up stuff online while the meeting is running means far less misunderstandings than before.
Meetings are actually one of the things many people i have talked to found improved when WFH became a thing. Though some admitted it was by "actually being able to work while people talk about stuff i am not involved in".

I mean we have the discussion in our company as well. Nearly everyone wants to work from home, though some want to come once a week. That includes the whole middle management who all seem to think that it doesn't decrease efficiency. The primary owner of the company doesn't like this. Because he really likes to go through the offices and make smalltalk.

Personally i do have noticeably more time for playing games when WFH. But i live in a country with very strict laws about working hours that actually got even stricter during the pandemic. You only work when on the clock and companies have to track this or are looking at huge fines. There are special rules for odd hours and for mandatory brakes and those are enforced as well.
All of this happened because people found that many worked longer hours when the lines between work and private life became blurry. Law makers put a stop to this.

Last edited:

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Capitalist scum! ;)
😂 Recently I worked in senior management for a chain got too stressed out running someone else's entire business for them so decided to take it easy and just work in a store as a barista for a bit. Turns out it was owned by a couple of investors who never worked in the industry so I ended up running their entire business for them. Figured fuck it, if that's my lot in life it might as well be my business 😂

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Yes, in the sense that I can get more shit done in a day if I don't spend hours of it sitting in my car commuting, meaning more spare time in the evening or weekend for leisure.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
😂 Recently I worked in senior management for a chain got too stressed out running someone else's entire business for them so decided to take it easy and just work in a store as a barista for a bit. Turns out it was owned by a couple of investors who never worked in the industry so I ended up running their entire business for them. Figured fuck it, if that's my lot in life it might as well be my business 😂
Quite right too. If you're going to oppress the workers, you may as well make the real money for it.

Management often is stressful, unless you're a workaholic and/or a c*nt, or you've lucked out into management at a very relaxed organisation.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
No, dude. Those with the reach and wealth required to lobby central government are not staying open on a shoestring budget, struggling to stay afloat. They are enormously profitable chain outlets.
Can I just add this little tidbit in here

Pre-Covid, the top 1% used to suck up half of the wealth generated around the world. During Covid, its 2/3rds

I would also suggest all the money wasted on lobbying governments and advertising COULD be spent on better products and welfare for staff. Its not a question of budget, its a question of priority

Shoestring, my ass

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Quite right too. If you're going to oppress the workers, you may as well make the real money for it.

Management often is stressful, unless you're a workaholic and/or a c*nt, or you've lucked out into management at a very relaxed organisation.
Don't plan on having employees.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America