Game sprites you didn't recognize correctly

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I just came across something that made me think about a number of 2D sprites in 2D video games that I didn't know what they were. Namely, Namingway. (Pun intended.)

I was probably 7 or 8 at the time I played Final Fantasy 4, or Final Fantasy 2 as it was called back then. I thought the Namingway were a bunch of guys wearing turbans with mustaches. I had no idea that they were actually supposed to look like this:

Basically, rabbit people. Even now I look at the 2D picture and I still can't really see it.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I just came across something that made me think about a number of 2D sprites in 2D video games that I didn't know what they were. Namely, Namingway. (Pun intended.)

I was probably 7 or 8 at the time I played Final Fantasy 4, or Final Fantasy 2 as it was called back then. I thought the Namingway were a bunch of guys wearing turbans with mustaches. I had no idea that they were actually supposed to look like this:

Basically, rabbit people. Even now I look at the 2D picture and I still can't really see it.
I have the feeling there was some creative license taken with that.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Not the same, but when I was a kid I had to play Amiga games on a black and white TV, and sometimes the colour differentiation wasn't apparent. Basically couldn't play Heroquest because the next-screen button just didn't show up again it's background, so you didn't know where it was or if you had it selected.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
So, I've been playing SS13 again, mostly on Paradise, and there's a little tiny thing I really enjoy.

One of the most highly valued items in SS13 are insulated gloves. As the name suggests, insulated gloves protect you from shocks while tampering with electrical wiring which makes it much easier and safer to (for example) hack doors and otherwise gain access to places you're not supposed to be. They are normally difficult to get hold of (if you're not in a role that is meant to be repairing electrical equipment) but also extremely attractive for general criming.

Another thing that is pretty much universally true regardless of server is that insulated gloves are a very distinctive bright yellow. Yellow being the color of engineering.
1677289581090.png
But what I really like on paradise is that not all insulated gloves are actually insulated. In fact, all yellow gloves appear as insulated, even if they are cheap knock offs or just cloth gloves someone put in a washing machine with a yellow crayon. You can examine them to check whether they're actually made of insulated material, but most people won't think to do that until they've already been electrocuted while wearing fake gloves.

It's a nice little example of an intentional use of the lack of readability in sprite art.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I have the feeling there was some creative license taken with that.
namingway.png

I mean it did have ears, but seems more pig/orc like. The hood and rabbit look seem to be from After Years (in FF9 iit appears in the original pixel form), and FF14 is the 3d variant.

(I always thought it was adude with glasses, a shiny/red nose and a high collar/scarf over his mouth as a kid, lol. But that collar is teeth apparently. Also never clocked the ears as a kid, thought it was just a crown (but then againt, it was SNES and played on a TV from 1979, so)

Last edited:

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States

[...]

Gotta love pareidolia. Arabic myth is more prevalent in western culture than east Asian myth -- moreso pre-internet -- so when we westerners see the sprite, we're more likely to interpret it as this:

1677419833019.png

than this:

1677419897448.png

Drathnoxis

I love the smell of card games in the morning
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Capture.JPG

Glass Joe's eye is above his eyebrow, can someone explain to me what's going on here?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Y. Signal

Apparently, Y. Signal was actually black in then SOR Genesis Trilogy. I thought he was a tanned white guy in (especially) 1 & 2. What doesn't help is that some of his alternate color pallets in SOR2 have a lighter skin tone. SOR3 makes this a bit more obvious, but as kid it wasn't exactly a constant thought in my mind. In the first game, it's really hard to make out what some of the characters look like, unless you have the manual artwork for reference. In SOR4, they made him white for some reason. I don't have a problem, but it is weird they would do that.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Ok, a bit hard to tell from that small image, but the monster in the cell to the north of the PCs looks about as much a kangaroo as a giant rat to me.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Ok, a bit hard to tell from that small image, but the monster in the cell to the north of the PCs looks about as much a kangaroo as a giant rat to me.
Common mistake.

lighthouse.png

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Does that have anything to do with the Chinese Moon Goddess who lives up there with a Rabbit?
The goddess is Chang'e, and yep. Moon rabbits are common in east and southeast Asian mythology -- and many Native American mythologies, indicating the myth predates human crossing of the Bering land bridge.

Reactions: Dalisclock

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
A

Ah good old Slithzerikai names, basically someone slamming their keyboard and throwing a few S's in.

(Exile/Avernum was one of the first games I ever "modded" lol, since you could just open the sprites/tiles in MS Paint)

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
A

Ah good old Slithzerikai names, basically someone slamming their keyboard and throwing a few S's in.

(Exile/Avernum was one of the first games I ever "modded" lol, since you could just open the sprites/tiles in MS Paint)
More games should use bmp files for their graphics, yeah.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
1679280721058.png1679280771579.png

I was startled by this years later because the hand drawn art really isn't that far off the in game art, but I just really struggled to understand what I was looking at the first time I saw a moogle. I thought the red blob was a tongue in a mouth that was sticking out, like Boo from Mario.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Drathnoxis

I love the smell of card games in the morning
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
When I was a kid I always thought these bird enemies in Donkey Kong Country 2 were missing the top of their skull and their brain was exposed. It was kind of disturbing.

It's just wearing a bandana, though.