Funny Events of the "Woke" world

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
We don't hold right-wingers to these standards do we? We don't expect them to live some kind of ascetic existence to demonstrate their pure commitment to the cause. We never ask if they're just faking it to pander to an audience, we don't care if they're true believers or whether they're just in it for money or power.
We do hold right-wingers to the same standards, but now you're starting to insert extra standards into the argument. The point was not "left wing people can't be rich and successful", the point was "this guy only went left wing political when a completely opposite fake persona wasn't making him money". You're ignoring the about-face. Like, Candace Owens and Tim Pool were both doing left-wing content with minimal success before 2016, then turned way to the right and made a bunch of money, there's a lot of the right-wing audience that doubts the sincerity there. Like, we have the term RINO specifically for politicians who don't have conservative beliefs and just want money and power. Yes, the right-wing wants to listen to authentic voices, and not just pandering.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Yes, the right-wing wants to listen to authentic voices
No.

You people have elected Trump, and keep supporting him.

You people make of "mote and beam" situations the standard of your political campaigns.

And you in particular have demonstrated your inauthenticity over and over again in this forum, when it comes to peudo-scientific rationalization and to veiled hate speech.

Authenticity is the very last thing conservatives are about, they're strictly on "anything goes" rhetorics and double standards evaluations.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
No.

You people have elected Trump, and keep supporting him.

You people make of "mote and beam" situations the standard of your political campaigns.

And you in particular have demonstrated your inauthenticity over and over again in this forum, when it comes to peudo-scientific rationalization and to veiled hate speech.

Authenticity is the very last thing conservatives are about, they're strictly on "anything goes" rhetorics and double standards evaluations.
This isn't a response to my post. You're just releasing your blind hatred onto the page.

Edit: And I suspect you know that, and are prepared to rationalize something about refusing to engage with my hate speech.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
This isn't a response to my post. You're just releasing your blind hatred onto the page.

Edit: And I suspect you know that, and are prepared to rationalize something about refusing to engage with my hate speech.
Translation: I cannot rebut your assertions, so I'll just play the victim card again.

Write some new material, man.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Yes, the right-wing wants to listen to authentic voices, and not just pandering.
So bearing in mind the recent controversy Fox is experiencing with discrepancies between its staff's private messages and its broadcast content, can we assume that its ratings have been taking a huge dive over the last couple of weeks, then?

You see, I think everyone wants authentic voices. But the vast majority will settle for an inauthentic voice fine, as long as it says what they want to hear.

the point was "this guy only went left wing political when a completely opposite fake persona wasn't making him money". You're ignoring the about-face.
I'm not entirely sure what the "about-face" involved here is, as telling people how you pull women in clubs is not remotely inconsistent with supporting the minimum wage.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Yes, the right-wing wants to listen to authentic voices, and not just pandering.
Where does the last Republican president, Donald Trump, fall on that spectrum? In your opinion.

Last edited:

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Where does the last Republican president, Donald Trump, fall on that spectrum?
For the sake of argument, Trump is authentic in his utter moral bankruptcy. He doesn't try to hide the fact that he's a disgusting bigot and a malignant narcissist. Trouble is, a lot of Republican voters identify with that.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
For the sake of argument, Trump is authentic in his utter moral bankruptcy.
Not really, no. Because he does rely a lot on the old trick of accusing others of what he's doing, very knowingly so. His lies tend to be absolutely blatant and humongous, and he does ask of his minions to play pretend. Also, many of his supporters know very well that he's lying through his teeth but they do not care at all, because politics to them is all about supporting a pre-defined team no matter what.

Being a very transparent, cynical liar (or "bullshitter" is you want to get technical, but there's a strong overlap with direct lies when it comes to Trump) isn't "being authentic". And what he asks of his cronies, just like what his fans ask of him, is exactly pandering.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
tstorm has stated multiple times that he squares that particular circle by just declaring Trump to be a democrat in disguise. I'm not even joking...
The geometry gets really complicated when you try to reconcile tstorm's positions that Republicans want authenticity with his claim that Trump isn't a real Republican.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
tstorm has stated multiple times that he squares that particular circle by just declaring Trump to be a democrat in disguise. I'm not even joking...
The fact that I've given this rant 1000 times and you still misunderstand the point doesn't speak highly of your reading comprehension.

Trump isn't a Democrat in disguise, he's not pushing a Democratic agenda. He has the character and behavior of Democrats. The obnoxious tweets, the deceptive and cruel campaign attacks, the populism, the media manipulation, the sexism and implied sex crimes, the abuse of power and avoidance of consequences, even inspiring a mob to riot over politics... All of the things worth criticizing Trump over have been tried and true Democratic norms since Lyndon Johnson.
Where does the last Republican president, Donald Trump, fall on that spectrum? In your opinion.
Trump sort of sidesteps that concern by making no premise of being any kind of "true believer". He makes little pretense of having any goals beyond crowd pleasing and personal glorification. In a sense, pandering is his authentic voice.
The geometry gets really complicated when you try to reconcile tstorm's positions that Republicans want authenticity with his claim that Trump isn't a real Republican.
It's not that complicated: the people who voted for Trump were happy to vote for someone outside of the Republican norms. He didn't win through party loyalty.
Which kind of makes you wonder just how idiotic mainstream Republicans are for having fallen for the trick so hard.
Don't make the mistake of thinking my opinions are in any way representative of current mainstream Republicans. I live 5-10 years in the future of mainstream Republicanism.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Trump sort of sidesteps that concern by making no premise of being any kind of "true believer". He makes little pretense of having any goals beyond crowd pleasing and personal glorification. In a sense, pandering is his authentic voice.
So by pandering he performed in his authentic voice, won the primary and eventually the presidency.

Sounds like the right wing after all wanted pandering.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Sounds like the right wing after all wanted pandering.
Everyone wants pandering, that's the definition of pandering, to give people exactly what they want, to tell them exactly what they want to hear.

I said the right-wing, or more broadly everyone, wants authentic voices, not just pandering. The "just" is important in that sentence.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
But also generally they're not claiming to be the betters lol.
Of course they are.

Many of them claim to represent a religion that literally preaches that poverty and chastity are morally virtuous. Are we not supposed to hold them to that standard?

It's Hasan preaching about toxic masculinity etc while just doing all this to try and get laid easier thus being less genuine and more toxic than those he calls toxic.
What exactly is "toxic" about trying to get laid?

I'm genuinely interested in this one, because I think it's really revealing of the difference between how you imagine your political opponents think and how they actually do.

II'm just becoming rather fed up of fakeness, perfomativity and hypocrisy being outright rewarded to this degree just because the person is an aligning political side
Why does that make you fed up?

Like, worse case scenario, what you're describing is a bad person being rewarded. Is that unusual? What better or more deserving person do you think should be in that position? Whose success do you think we should be happy about?

We do hold right-wingers to the same standards
Dwarvenhobble clearly doesn't.

The point was not "left wing people can't be rich and successful", the point was "this guy only went left wing political when a completely opposite fake persona wasn't making him money".
Again, so what?

Even if I fully accept that as true (which I don't), why am I supposed to care?

You think anyone in a position of wealth or power is actually your friend?

The right has authentic voices?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Even if I fully accept that as true (which I don't), why am I supposed to care?
If you don't care, stop talking about it. If you think Dwarvenhobble is being silly and offering nothing worth responding to, don't respond. Ya'll can't help yourselves from keeping up the argument until you lose.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
If you don't care, stop talking about it. If you think Dwarvenhobble is being silly and offering nothing worth responding to, don't respond. Ya'll can't help yourselves from keeping up the argument until you lose.
Still the forum's master of Danth's Law. Shine on you crazy diamond.