Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
So you know when a certain side are trying to claim they're not planting certain ideas or trying to "groom" kids to adopt certain ideas?

Yeh bad look when it's apparently suddenly in pre-school shows
Translation: "Certain kinds of people being portrayed in a kids show is grooming. But only kinds of people we don't like".

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Translation: "Certain kinds of people being portrayed in a kids show is grooming. But only kinds of people we don't like".
Pre school show.
Main character.
Age in which there's a pressure to transition people because it's seen as good by some groups as soon as possible.
Age where the idea of actual proper checks and diagnosis being required before allowing people to start on life alterting drugs is being called Transphobic.

Couldn't possible cause problems at all right?

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
1) Non-binary as a concept on so many levels can actually be harmful, including harmful to trans people due to it creating a position where it's not actually affirming their new gender identity but creating an undefined 3rd position.
But, contrarily to what you say, sexual identity is not binary, it's not the reductive XX vs XY opposition that we learn at school. Genetic reality is a more complex continuum, and that's why, for instance, intersex people are born with male and female characteristics. Unfortunately, we live in a conceptally poor culture that has mythified and entrenched binary oppositions (other cultures leave room for a 3rd sex even if, itself, is also a reductive catch-all), and the result of that is the guesswork of surgeons tasked with physically cutting out at birth the bits that don't fit an arbitrarily assigned category.

The non-binary aspect of sex is a simply a thing. So, who its aknowledgment annoys and why (be them cis or trans) is simply not a factor. I know that a lot of people love classifying themselves, it gives them a sense of self, a validating administrative existence. But that's a symbolic, pilosophical choice. Reality doesn't care. And no matter how uncomfortable, a lot of people stay in the no-man's-land between categories (or overlap them) in many domains of life, not just sexual identity. Denying it just to make our arbitrary conceptual tiles look cleaner, and to further mythologize its adequacy with nature, is just sacrificing people for a pointless misconception.

And that's just biological sex, don't get me started on gender. Gender is the cultural identity wrapping over that, but damn, does its over-simplification also imposes its share of mismatch.

2) There's a difference between don't be Transphobic / homophobic and making it out to be something special (which is therefore not normalising it). Certain topics especially with young children can be....... not the best thing to suddenly have a character on about especially kids at certain ages who like to copy said characters to an extent.
There is no big deal about that. Children book also present secret royalty, foreign religions, cops and robbers, anthropomorphic animals, all sorts of identities that kids can "copy" for a while. What matters is if they emulate decent people (models) or creeps (counter-models). Not if they emulate muslims, kingdom heirs, martians or non-binaries. It's not even a big deal after puberty, when it comes to relationships. They should be free to identify with what's most comfortable for them, and experience the most comfortable love to them.

It only becomes a big deal when transitional surgery is at stake, because we're unfortunately far from having a magic pill or sci-fi ray allowing us to switch back and forth between gendered bodies. It's a tough procedure, and a big decision. But hey, it's just one amongst so many. Life is like that - accepting or refusing a one-time job opportunity, moving country, marrying and having children with the right or wrong person, all of these are tough freedoms of choice with the occasional irreparable wrong one, and yet we still don't legally deny people's agency when it comes to them.

The stake of treating like existing, "normal" (morally if not statistically) human beings the people who fall between our traditional cultural categories is much bigger than these concerns. These concerns are overblown by the (understandable) sense of cognitive scandal that the most conservative people experience ("but but but I have always been taught that it's either male or female, and that not conforming to this was shameful"). Now of course, we're living through an awkward readjustment to a fairly recent public awareness, and this implies some hesitations (on how exactly to assess gender mismatch claims, for instance). But we're very very far from the causes of melodrama and moral panic that conservatives try to lather.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
So everything on Dunning-Kruger post the study says it doesn't exist means basically nothing?
Very little of it is substantial, such as what you've provided so far. And overall it doesn't add up to a "debunk" as you've indicated; it just adds up to some (somewhat valid) criticism. Stuff to keep in mind when analysing its prevalence and extent, but hardly a smoking gun.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Pre school show.
Main character.
No, the main character is Ridley herself. The NB character is Fred, a minor character.

Age in which there's a pressure to transition people because it's seen as good by some groups as soon as possible.
Pre-schoolers aren't pressured to "transition", this is just right-wing paranoid drivel.

Age where the idea of actual proper checks and diagnosis being required before allowing people to start on life alterting drugs is being called Transphobic.
Non-binary people don't require drugs or diagnoses, Dwarven. I know you're just lumping all gender minorities together, but at least try to stay relevant rather than ranting about other shit.

Couldn't possible cause problems at all right?
Not really, no. Portraying people who exist isn't problematic.

Insisting that only certain kinds of people can be portrayed, and equating mere portrayal of other kinds of people as "grooming", certainly causes problems though-- repression, prejudice, etc.

Reactions: Buyetyen and Absent

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
But, contrarily to what you say, sexual identity is not binary, it's not the reductive XX vs XY opposition that we learn at school. Genetic reality is a more complex continuum, and that's why, for instance, intersex people are born with male and female characteristics. Unfortunately, we live in a conceptally poor culture that has mythified and entrenched binary oppositions (other cultures leave room for a 3rd sex even if, itself, is also a reductive catch-all), and the result of that is the guesswork of surgeons tasked with physically cutting out at birth the bits that don't fit an arbitrarily assigned category.
I know you're not the blame for this but the worst thing about your reply here is it's the most predictable reply that's not an ad hominem that I was expecting.
Also you're not to blame for this but I've addressed this before.

So to address it again.

From a scientific perspective it could be argued phenotypical expression can be used as a measure or as pointed out by the research of Dr Verma neurological expression which could also be see as a form of phenotypical expression even if you wish to bring in arguments of genetics (A topic I specifically didn't bring in and avoided). Intersex people other than I think it's 1 in 100,000 generally actually phenotypically express one way or another so that's the intersex argument out of the way in two different ways.

Oh and please lets not go down the "Other cultures" road again because that argument also requires either the acceptance of magical powers or the acknowledgement of entirely just picking and choosing based on feelings not substantive provable factual information.

The non-binary aspect of sex is a simply a thing. So, who its aknowledgment annoys and why (be them cis or trans) is simply not a factor. I know that a lot of people love classifying themselves, it gives them a sense of self, a validating administrative existence. But that's a symbolic, pilosophical choice. Reality doesn't care. And no matter how uncomfortable, a lot of people stay in the no-man's-land between categories (or overlap them) in many domains of life, not just sexual identity. Denying it just to make our arbitrary conceptual tiles look cleaner, and to further mythologize its adequacy with nature, is just sacrificing people for a pointless misconception.

And that's just biological sex, don't get me started on gender. Gender is the cultural identity wrapping over that, but damn, does its over-simplification also imposes its share of mismatch.
Please lets not go down the route that this is some kind of rebelling against tick box culture (yes I've heard this all before).
Classify yourself how you like, just don't expect reality to bend to you or people to give 2 shits.

There is no big deal about that. Children also present secret royalty, foreign religions, cops and robbers, anthropomorphic animals, all sorts of identities that kids can "copy" for a while. What matters is if they emulate decent people (models) or creeps (counter-models). Not if they emulate muslims, kingdom heirs, martians or non-binaries. It's not even a big deal after puberty, when it comes to relationships. They should be free to identify with what's most comfortable for them, and experience the most comfortable love to them.
A nice sentiment, that isn't the world though and all it generates in the end is more useless work and red tape. But hey some people just want to watch the world burn after all. Problem is the world doesn't like burning and so this kind of rebellion will never work other than to end up causing hassle for the lowest people on the chain for things as they have to sort it out to try and fit everything into a system or just deal with people raging that the system isn't accommodating them.

Does it make people feel good taking out their rage against the system on the lowest cogs corporate cares least for?

It only becomes a big deal when transitional surgery is at stake, because we're unfortunately far from having a magic pill or sci-fi ray allowing us to switch back and forth between gendered bodies. It's a tough procedure, and a big decision. But hey, it's just one amongst so many. Life is like that - accepting or refusing a one-time job opportunity, moving country, marrying and having children with the right or wrong person, all of these are tough freedoms of choice with the occasional irreparable wrong one, and yet we still don't legally deny people's agency when it comes to them.
Yes, we also generally don't allow children to make those choices.
That's the issue here and the concern about the rush to transition people as an easy solution and why people are concerned far more about the idea of people just taking a child at their work on such things.

The stake of treating like existing, "normal" (morally if not statistically) human beings the people who fall between our traditional cultural categories is much bigger than these concerns. These concerns are overblown by the (understandable) sense of cognitive scandal that the most conservative people experience ("but but but I have always been taught that it's either male or female, and that not conforming to this was shameful"). Now of course, we're living through an awkward readjustment to a fairly recent public awareness, and this implies some hesitations (on how exactly to assess gender mismatch claims, for instance). But we're very very far from the causes of melodrama and moral panic that conservatives try to lather.
It should be but these kind of concerns seem to be very much coming to the forefront. Also concerning the the weird position now of actually expanding the "3rd category" rather than just getting people to understand and accept the expansion of the existing two such that there's people who are Tomboys who are being suggested as being trans because now people are more strongly enforcing said gender binaries and telling people they must be non binary because of X, Y and Z.

As for being far from the moral panic, that would depend on who you ask and their personal perspective. I'd imagine some of the women subjected to certain things that have happened in the UK would see it as a big issue that basically they're going to have this massive traumatic incident hanging over them for their entire live. Also not being a big panic yet doesn't mean actions shouldn't be taken and preparations done to make sure those claims of moral panic never actually become reality.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
No, the main character is Ridley herself. The NB character is Fred, a minor character.

Pre-schoolers aren't pressured to "transition", this is just right-wing paranoid drivel.
Fair enough so it's just pre teens for the moment is it?

Not yet moved to the pre-schoolers because the pre-teens and even giving too much pushback already.

Non-binary people don't require drugs or diagnoses, Dwarven. I know you're just lumping all gender minorities together, but at least try to stay relevant rather than ranting about other shit.
Nor does magic, now believe my powers.

Oh right I can't define or prove them but you better believe it right.............?

Not really, no. Portraying people who exist isn't problematic.
Some people self identify as saints and historical characters, so do we make the next person claiming to be Jesus head of the church?

Insisting that only certain kinds of people can be portrayed, and equating mere portrayal of other kinds of people as "grooming", certainly causes problems though-- repression, prejudice, etc.
Except at this stage it's closer to a useless social label like being an Emo or something only we weren't sending Emo kids to counselling and suicide prevention wards just on their say so (which is about the best analogy I can think of regarding taking people at their absolute word).

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I know you're not the blame for this but the worst thing about your reply here is it's the most predictable reply that's not an ad hominem that I was expecting.
Also you're not to blame for this but I've addressed this before.

So to address it again.

From a scientific perspective it could be argued phenotypical expression can be used as a measure or as pointed out by the research of Dr Verma neurological expression which could also be see as a form of phenotypical expression even if you wish to bring in arguments of genetics (A topic I specifically didn't bring in and avoided). Intersex people other than I think it's 1 in 100,000 generally actually phenotypically express one way or another so that's the intersex argument out of the way in two different ways.

Oh and please lets not go down the "Other cultures" road again because that argument also requires either the acceptance of magical powers or the acknowledgement of entirely just picking and choosing based on feelings not substantive provable factual information.

Please lets not go down the route that this is some kind of rebelling against tick box culture (yes I've heard this all before).
Classify yourself how you like, just don't expect reality to bend to you or people to give 2 shits.

A nice sentiment, that isn't the world though and all it generates in the end is more useless work and red tape. But hey some people just want to watch the world burn after all. Problem is the world doesn't like burning and so this kind of rebellion will never work other than to end up causing hassle for the lowest people on the chain for things as they have to sort it out to try and fit everything into a system or just deal with people raging that the system isn't accommodating them.

Does it make people feel good taking out their rage against the system on the lowest cogs corporate cares least for?

Yes, we also generally don't allow children to make those choices.
That's the issue here and the concern about the rush to transition people as an easy solution and why people are concerned far more about the idea of people just taking a child at their work on such things.

It should be but these kind of concerns seem to be very much coming to the forefront. Also concerning the the weird position now of actually expanding the "3rd category" rather than just getting people to understand and accept the expansion of the existing two such that there's people who are Tomboys who are being suggested as being trans because now people are more strongly enforcing said gender binaries and telling people they must be non binary because of X, Y and Z.

As for being far from the moral panic, that would depend on who you ask and their personal perspective. I'd imagine some of the women subjected to certain things that have happened in the UK would see it as a big issue that basically they're going to have this massive traumatic incident hanging over them for their entire live. Also not being a big panic yet doesn't mean actions shouldn't be taken and preparations done to make sure those claims of moral panic never actually become reality.
Woah, your world burn easily. Seriously if this is "burning your world", then it deserves to be burned. That's really a "oh noes blacks are entering the bus, what will happen to civilization" level of argumentation.

You're trying to essentialize something on zero grounds. You reject the scientific aspect of sexual continuum (the most interesting aspect). You reject the self-identification feelings (the most important aspect). You reject the cultural categories' arbitrariness (the most malleable aspect). There isn't much left. And you react on the fear that... what will happen exactly ? Widespread pre-teen surgical transitions based on a children book ?

If that book destroys your imaginary universe, well, what can I say, so be it. In reality, zero child will be harmed by that, and some people will have a better life, being more accepted in society for who they are. I'm sorry to sound harsh, but society shouldn't cater to your phobia more than to other people's sense of identity and belonging.

The social-cultural future will be made of more complex sexual identities, matching better an already existing reality. And there will certainly be some easier mobility between these identities. People will care less about a person's sexual identity, even if shifting. If it makes you curl up in a corner, I'm, well, sorry for you. Less than I am for those who, so far, have to live stigmatized and repressed for not being conform to our outdated cultural imagination.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Please do not insult other forum users
But every fucking time some-one bring up how you know something may be an issue and maybe a bit more caution like I don't know actually checking the people being hired to read to kids aren't convicted sex offenders then people yell that said people are homophobic because apparently being a drag queen can't possibly mean they are potentially criminals too like any normal person. No all drag queens absolute perfect people who couldn't possibly ever be criminals so no need to check like you would do for any normal person for almost anything else.
Any normal person gets checked before they get to read to children? When?

And why are you linking background searches of sex offenders to drag queens? Don't answer that, I know why. It's been a while since I've observed your pea-brained level bigotry.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
So you know when a certain side are trying to claim they're not planting certain ideas or trying to "groom" kids to adopt certain ideas?

Yeh bad look when it's apparently suddenly in pre-school shows

As someone who was a kid of the 90s/2000s, the pearl clutching over LGBT or gender neutral characters in kids shows never ceases to amuse me. Try looking at stuff like She-Hulk in the 90s Incredible Hulk tv series and tell me that is more appropriate for children than a character using they/them pronouns.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Fair enough so it's just pre teens for the moment is it?

Not yet moved to the pre-schoolers because the pre-teens and even giving too much pushback already.
So we have allegations in an ongoing, unsettled suit against one person.

Nor does magic, now believe my powers.

Oh right I can't define or prove them but you better believe it right.............?
This directionless rambling doesn't address the fact that you wrongly attributed diagnoses and drugs to nonbinary people.

Some people self identify as saints and historical characters, so do we make the next person claiming to be Jesus head of the church?
I'm not interested in your inane false equivalences. That's the best you can do? It's about on the same level as those who scream that we can't accept gay people because "Oh wElL sOmE pEoPlE hAvE sEx WiTh AnImAlS so I suppose we have to accept that too now then?????"

In short, this line of argument is the last pathetic resort for people who can't argue an issue on its own merit any more.

Except at this stage it's closer to a useless social label like being an Emo or something only we weren't sending Emo kids to counselling and suicide prevention wards just on their say so (which is about the best analogy I can think of regarding taking people at their absolute word).
Uh-huh, except that people who don't fit into the gender binary have been acknowledged in cultures around the world for thousands of years.

And, uhrm... anyone who experiences suicidal thoughts should be given support. Are you now whining that people are provided with mental health help when they request it? Or is this just more directionless angry blather?

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Guys, don't feed the troll, please.
To be fair, the last oh 15 or so years, have shown that while they may act the troll, they also fully believe it. A world without gays, Jews, educated women, interracial/interfaith marriage, same-sex adoption. They truly in their souls hate multiculturalism and believe only in an incestuous white evangelical national society.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Guys, don't feed the troll, please.
I think you meant to say this in the anti-woke world thread where at least it would have some validity and make some sense.

Woah, your world burn easily. Seriously if this is "burning your world", then it deserves to be burned. That's really a "oh noes blacks are entering the bus, what will happen to civilization" level of argumentation.
No that's the stupid think about it all. Some people doing this claim it's to fight back against tickbox culture and my point is it's a pretty pathetic fightback that will do barely anything.

It's nor burning the world but seems like some people just enjoy making things more annoying and difficult for people and that's the point in this case to be the annoyng wrench in the gears so people feel they've made an impact of any sort. It's the social equivalent of the people take ice from an ice dispenser at a restaurant and leave it on top of the serviettes just so people have to deal with wet serviettes or some minimum wage employee has to change them. It's feeling so ineffectual in the world you'll do anything to make it seem like something was forced to change for you.

You're trying to essentialize something on zero grounds. You reject the scientific aspect of sexual continuum (the most interesting aspect). You reject the self-identification feelings (the most important aspect). You reject the cultural categories' arbitrariness (the most malleable aspect). There isn't much left. And you react on the fear that... what will happen exactly ? Widespread pre-teen surgical transitions based on a children book ?
I'm rejecting the social science argument based on feelings that makes up the arguments for the sexual continuum. So yeh I reject feelings because it's a poor basis for argument only normally wheeled out in regards to feelings people agree with. I don't think people who "felt" god would protect them from Covid should have us all pretend their feelings of never needing masks or lockdowns validated just because feelings.

If that book destroys your imaginary universe, well, what can I say, so be it. In reality, zero child will be harmed by that, and some people will have a better life, being more accepted in society for who they are. I'm sorry to sound harsh, but society shouldn't cater to your phobia more than to other people's sense of identity and belonging.
Except of course when it all comes crashing down and they realise society isn't accepting of them.

Lets take the argument at present about non binary genders and bathrooms.

If we take the argument of gender discrimination (not sex but gender) and also base on equity rule then therefore it is gender discrimination not to give a bathroom for every gender right?

That creates 2 choices.

137 individual bathrooms or non gender bathrooms

Corporate will choose the latter as it's cheaper.

At some point the problems will start be it through put or complaints or who knows what, corporate will go back (if it ever went forward with the plans) and we're back to how it was anyway.

The social-cultural future will be made of more complex sexual identities, matching better an already existing reality. And there will certainly be some easier mobility between these identities. People will care less about a person's sexual identity, even if shifting. If it makes you curl up in a corner, I'm, well, sorry for you. Less than I am for those who, so far, have to live stigmatized and repressed for not being conform to our outdated cultural imagination.
Nah it won't. There will be the ones that can be defined and then at most the "other" category lol. The world operates on the simple for things that ultimately matter leas and how people choose to define their sexual identity will almost always be Straight / Gay / Lesbian / Bi-sexual and maybe if the company if feeling generous an all purpose other "Queer" category and people won't care if you're a demi-sexual or Homoflexual (no not a spelling error) they'll still just lump you as straight or Bi.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Any normal person gets checked before they get to read to children? When?
Generally sane society when an organisation is bringing some-one in.

I mean in the UK if the kid are being left unsupervised with some-one reading they need a full CRB check from an actual agency.

Even for other stuff like just normal jobs (hey even in insurance risk management or planning applications) there will be a basic level of check done to pick up on any additional risk or possible link to crime or criminality.

And why are you linking background searches of sex offenders to drag queens? Don't answer that, I know why. It's been a while since I've observed your pea-brained level bigotry.
Curb your Enthusiasm music starts playing

So care to apologise and discuss the point in a more civil way?
Or just going to go with the continuing ad hominem of an angry reactionary?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
As someone who was a kid of the 90s/2000s, the pearl clutching over LGBT or gender neutral characters in kids shows never ceases to amuse me. Try looking at stuff like She-Hulk in the 90s Incredible Hulk tv series and tell me that is more appropriate for children than a character using they/them pronouns.
Ok I shall.

YES.

YEs it's more appropriate.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
So we have allegations in an ongoing, unsettled suit against one person.

But hey how many does it need to be an issue?

This directionless rambling doesn't address the fact that you wrongly attributed diagnoses and drugs to nonbinary people.
Because at present that will be the systems understanding of such things.

I'm not interested in your inane false equivalences. That's the best you can do? It's about on the same level as those who scream that we can't accept gay people because "Oh wElL sOmE pEoPlE hAvE sEx WiTh AnImAlS so I suppose we have to accept that too now then?????"

In short, this line of argument is the last pathetic resort for people who can't argue an issue on its own merit any more.
It's Reductio ad absurdum with a touch of allegorical application actually. So you finding my claims of magical power to be absurd showcases the issue even if you will never admit it when looking back at the actual thing in question. If we're arguing feelings are reality then why would a person feeling they have magical powers be any less valid or less requiring of validation? The simple answer being one is politically popular and people think it's them being good while the other isn't.

Also to horrifyingly torpedo your second point..........There's actually groups online who use I think it's a weird Z symbol in their twitter name to signify themselves as Zoophile or something like that and some of them very much have been pushing for acceptance.

We all draw our arbitrary lines somewhere. I'm just happy to admit I'm going to draw them and not pretend otherwise when it's politically not popular.

Uh-huh, except that people who don't fit into the gender binary have been acknowledged in cultures around the world for thousands of years.
So has magic.

And, uhrm... anyone who experiences suicidal thoughts should be given support. Are you now whining that people are provided with mental health help when they request it? Or is this just more directionless angry blather?
Oh....... you didn't get the point did you?

Does some-one self identifying as an EMO mean they have clinical depression?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
To be fair, the last oh 15 or so years, have shown that while they may act the troll, they also fully believe it. A world without gays, Jews, educated women, interracial/interfaith marriage, same-sex adoption. They truly in their souls hate multiculturalism and believe only in an incestuous white evangelical national society.
Dude what?

When have I ever said any shit like that?

CITATION FUCKING NEEDED.

I've said the opposite regularly on many of those points.

But hey why do I expect anything else from a supporter of bigoted space fascists. To be clear this is mean more as a tongue in cheek response to the lack of validity in said claims and Pony being a Warhammer 40K fan with a Space Marine as his avatar and making similar kind of absurd claims back but based purely on his avatar.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
All the more reason not to engage. You cannot reason with the unreasonable. It's why I put dude on the ignore list within days of signing up here. Life's too short to waste on zealots.

Reactions: SilentPony

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
All the more reason not to engage. You cannot reason with the unreasonable. It's why I put dude on the ignore list within days of signing up here. Life's too short to waste on zealots.
Or you could just stop getting bent out of shape this much in the woke world thread and prove you actually are reasonable with actual arguments. But then you've shown you can't do that so better go with the snide side swipes eh?