Mortal Kombat 1: Finish Him!

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Fair point. But I think it will be rather annoying to say "MK1 1992" or "MK1 2023" when we are verbally talking about and distinguishing the two games
It’s happened for so many franchises that have been around this long. Even movies like the Predator series is confusing or games like GoW having to say 2005 vs 2018, etc.

Basically even if they stick with “MK1” the original was just called “MK”. It’s been so long now anyways that no one even thinks of that game lol; also like fourteen year past when they just did the last “MK” (2009), which was worse because it takes long to say “two thousand nine” than just “One” to differentiate from the original game. I know it was technically “MK9” but not officially.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It’s happened for so many franchises that have been around this long. Even movies like the Predator series is confusing or games like GoW having to say 2005 vs 2018, etc.

Basically even if they stick with “MK1” the original was just called “MK”. It’s been so long now anyways that no one even thinks of that game lol; also like fourteen year past when they just did the last “MK” (2009), which was worse because it takes long to say “two thousand nine” than just “One” to differentiate from the original game. I know it was technically “MK9” but not officially.
I think officially it's MK9 though. Because the next game was MKX, and then 11. So even without a number it's heavily implied that it's 9.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I think officially it's MK9 though. Because the next game was MKX, and then 11. So even without a number it's heavily implied that it's 9.
They should’ve just called it that then, but didn’t because of *reboot*. Idk. I think the name is the least concerning thing about it and a moot point in the end. No one cares now what the shit was called back then and it’ll be the same as time goes on.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They should’ve just called it that then, but didn’t because of *reboot*.
MK9 was basically them trying to erase Deadly Alliance, Deception, and Armageddon. Hence why even though it's a "sequel", it's a hard on reboot that goes back to the first two games.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
MK9 was basically them trying to erase Deadly Alliance, Deception, and Armageddon. Hence why even though it's a "sequel", it's a hard on reboot that goes back to the first two games.
And in both these cases I think a reboot is warranted.

In MK9's case there was too long of a backlog of bullshit through all the games up to that point. Making the games unfriendly for newcomers. Thus MK9 going back and retelling the major events through the timeline fit perfectly to bring a new generation of people on board, and also allow them to continue and finish the saga through 10 and 11.

With the ending of 11, there was nothing further that could be done through that thread of timeline so in this sense it makes sense to reboot sort of with a MK reset while also not being the same obviously as characters shifted into new roles hints that the timeline isn't completely reset. But it seems like this is meant to be a new "starting point" for people just not getting interested in the games.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And in both these cases I think a reboot is warranted.

In MK9's case there was too long of a backlog of bullshit through all the games up to that point. Making the games unfriendly for newcomers. Thus MK9 going back and retelling the major events through the timeline fit perfectly to bring a new generation of people on board, and also allow them to continue and finish the saga through 10 and 11.

With the ending of 11, there was nothing further that could be done through that thread of timeline so in this sense it makes sense to reboot sort of with a MK reset while also not being the same obviously as characters shifted into new roles hints that the timeline isn't completely reset. But it seems like this is meant to be a new "starting point" for people just not getting interested in the games.
That's all well and good, but they already have three starting points now. Deadly Alliance was a starting point for a soft reboot by killing off Liu Kang and adding in a whole bunch of new characters. Midway screwed up on the storyline, in addition, Armageddon story and gameplay sucked total balls. Then MK9 was the second starting point. I get it in that part makes sense, but titling is still stupid. Just call it a reboot and move on. With MK1 being the third starting point, but in a reset universe that Liu Kang desires. At that point, it's just an alternate universe. Drop the number and just add some type of subtitle. All it does is make it chronologically more confusing and you got to differentiate which one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cicada 5

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
That's all well and good, but they already have three starting points now. Deadly Alliance was a starting point for a soft reboot by killing off Liu Kang and adding in a whole bunch of new characters. Midway screwed up on the storyline, in addition, Armageddon story and gameplay sucked total balls. That MK9 was the second starting point. I get it in that part makes sense, but tiling is still stupid. Just call it a reboot and move on. With MK1 being the third starting point, but in a reset universe that Liu Kang desires. At that point it's just an alternate universe. Drop the number and just add some type of subtitle. All it does is make it chronologically more confusing and you got to differentiate which one.
What if this whole thing is a giant troll? Like you said, Liu Kang is the god here and it's his universe but maybe shit starts going wrong and MK happens again when it shouldn't, only to find out later that Liu Kang's world has been a dream all along and when you beat the campaign the title screen changes to MK 12 and the story continues.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What if this whole thing is a giant troll? Like you said, Liu Kang is the god here and it's his universe but maybe shit starts going wrong and MK happens again when it shouldn't, only to find out later that Liu Kang's world has been a dream all along and when you beat the campaign the title screen changes to MK 12 and the story continues.
Not even NR is dumb enough, nor elaborately skilled enough, to pull that shit. It is what it is: another hard reboot.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I mean, I'd just question why there's even a new game. It doesn't look any different from the last one, and they clearly are fine with just hurling off DLC characters (and presumably could've dropped an additional campaign in there too for story).

(I know the answer is MONEY LOLZ)

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I mean, I'd just question why there's even a new game. It doesn't look any different from the last one, and they clearly are fine with just hurling off DLC characters (and presumably could've dropped an additional campaign in there too for story).

(I know the answer is MONEY LOLZ)

Same can be said of any number of games; latest example being the new Zelda. Also, all we've seen are CGI cinematics so far. The best thing that could possibly happen with this new timeline is revamping the combat system.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Apparently, Ed Boon has been wanting to do a full reboot since MK 9, but felt that doing it at that time without the build up to MK 11 wouldn't have worked as well.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Apparently, Ed Boon has been wanting to do a full reboot since MK 9, but felt that doing it at that time without the build up to MK 11 wouldn't have worked as well.
If true then that sounds like some James Cameron-like patience and restraint. Three whole games (plus the two Injustices) and what, fourteen years before you’re able to do what you'd planned on doing back then. Well, I hope for his sake he had carte blanche on his vision for it here.

A brief rundown of what led to the name -

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Understandable once the initial hype wears off. One one hand yeah, if we’re resetting the timeline (again) then do something completely different. But on the other fan service will never not be a thing, especially with a 30 year old series that’s been increasingly popular. Also not sure how different everything is supposed to be when they’re still the same people. I’m sure there will be a good amount of new characters too. Can’t really say much until they show gameplay.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I guess Max & the Doods were expecting a complete alternate universe, a la Twisted Metal Black.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I guess Max & the Doods were expecting a complete alternate universe, a la Twisted Metal Black.
Black was one of the best things to hit PS2. If the show is worth anything it will take cues from it.

To be fair though, from a feedback standpoint it was probably a lot easier to shake things up with that IP vs a 30yr old fighting series.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Black was one of the best things to hit PS2. If the show is worth anything it will take cues from it.

To be fair though, from a feedback standpoint it was probably a lot easier to shake things up with that IP vs a 30yr old fighting series.
I don't remember much about Black, other than it's marketing and some of the gameplay. My older brother always went on about how he was going to buy it, but he never did. We played it at a friend's a couple times, but that was it. I admit that by the time Black and Twisted Metal Head-On came out, I was kind of already done. Head-On was one last ride for me. I never played the PS3 reboot. I'm sure the show will be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyrian007

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Let's see, 8 games then a reboot. And now another reboot in 2023. At that rate of rebooting... WOW. The next game in the series will reboot the franchise from NOW ON.

Black was one of the best things to hit PS2.
Yikes! I liked Twisted Metal Black as well... but PS2 had a LOT of the greats. I don't necessarily disagree, but I'd like to acknowledge that is really high praise. With all the reboots happening out there, why isn't vehicular combat making a comeback? Or integrated more into something like Rocket League. Like "Rocket League with Guns and Rockets... and a Weaponized Front End Loader?" I'd probably reboot one of the other titles though. Or just make a multiplayer online version of the premise of Rogue Trip. Join a server and compete with other taxi's for tourist dollars via rockets, guns, and ejector seats.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
With all the reboots happening out there, why isn't vehicular combat making a comeback? Or integrated more into something like Rocket League.
Depends on where you look. I did notice that it's the Indies and AAs even bothering some of the time. AAA industry is too snobbish, or feels it won't make all the money in the entire universe. They're too afraid to experiment, and want everything to be precious, precise, pretty pristine, and clean. A lot of racing games from that sector lack an identity, and is the same homogeneous crap over and over again.

Reactions: Kyrian007