Mortal Kombat 1: Finish Him!

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Let's see, 8 games then a reboot. And now another reboot in 2023. At that rate of rebooting... WOW. The next game in the series will reboot the franchise from NOW ON.

Yikes! I liked Twisted Metal Black as well... but PS2 had a LOT of the greats. I don't necessarily disagree, but I'd like to acknowledge that is really high praise. With all the reboots happening out there, why isn't vehicular combat making a comeback? Or integrated more into something like Rocket League. Like "Rocket League with Guns and Rockets... and a Weaponized Front End Loader?" I'd probably reboot one of the other titles though. Or just make a multiplayer online version of the premise of Rogue Trip. Join a server and compete with other taxi's for tourist dollars via rockets, guns, and ejector seats.
Well considering the genre it stood out from anything else that was great in that respect. I wouldn’t put it above stuff like Silent Hill 2/3, MGS2/3, THPS3/4, etc. but I remember it still being awesome for a car combat game.

jojithepainter

May 8, 2023
Country
Switzerland
With all the reboots happening out there, why isn't vehicular combat making a comeback? Or integrated more into something like Rocket League. Like "Rocket League with Guns and Rockets... and a Weaponized Front End Loader?" I'd probably reboot one of the other titles though. Or just make a multiplayer online version of the premise of Rogue Trip. Join a server and compete with other taxi's for tourist dollars via rockets, guns, and ejector seats.
That sounds quite awesome but also somewhat similar to the PS3 TM game that never took off (for unfair reasons). Sure, the single player portion was nigh atrocious due to the poorly programmed AI and subpar story mode, but the multiplayer modes were tons of fun. Granted, I do respect D. Jaffe a lot, so this praise might be biased...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That sounds quite awesome but also somewhat similar to the PS3 TM game that never took off (for unfair reasons). Sure, the single player portion was nigh atrocious due to the poorly programmed AI and subpar story mode, but the multiplayer modes were tons of fun. Granted, I do respect D. Jaffe a lot, so this praise might be biased...
I can't respect the guy, because he's such an egotistical douche hasn't done anything relevant in over a decade, and can't take criticism (his Metroid Dread playthrough where he quits early in game shows this). That last thing he did was the game they looked like someone's sketchings in a notebook, and that went nowhere. I'll praise the unique art style, but the gameplay was complete shit, and I don't think it's even available anymore.

Last edited:

jojithepainter

May 8, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I can't respect the guy, because he's such an egotistical douche hasn't done anything relevant in over a decade, and can't take criticism (his Metroid Dredd playthrough where he quits early in game shows this). That last thing he did was the game they looked like someone's sketchings in a notebook, and that went nowhere. I'll praise the unique art style, but the gameplay was complete shit, and I don't think it's even available anymore.
Haha he does comes off like that, I agree. But still, he tends to look just the right amount of "agitated" 24/7, so I always see little bits of Sweet Tooth and Kratos in him... I do not follow his video blogs or whatever, but Metroid Dredd is an excellent game and there's no argument there. But hey, this thread is not about Jaffe, so I won't be hijacking it anymore :)

Reactions: BrawlMan

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
* Weird that Raiden still has his lightning powers here.

* I guess Kenshi is no longer a telekinetic in this.

* I'm interested in seeing how they depict Sub-Zero and Scorpion as allies now.

* A "disease" for Mileena? That's curious.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
* Weird that Raiden still has his lightning powers here.
Not really. It was implied that Raiden would still have his lightning powers in the teaser. Besides, it wouldn't be Raiden without them.

* I guess Kenshi is no longer a telekinetic in this.
They turned him into Doppelgänger Vergil.

* I'm interested in seeing how they depict Sub-Zero and Scorpion as allies now.
Same.

* A "disease" for Mileena? That's curious.
Doing in the wizard there. I have a feeling there is some kind of "twist" to this.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Not really. It was implied that Raiden would still have his lightning powers in the teaser. Besides, it wouldn't be Raiden without them.
I get that. It's just surprising since he's no longer a thunder god. I wonder what explanation they'll give for why he still has them.

They turned him into Doppelgänger Vergil.
They should have gotten Dan Southworth to play him again if they're going down that route.:)

Doing in the wizard there. I have a feeling there is some kind of "twist" to this.
Possibly.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I get that. It's just surprising since he's no longer a thunder god. I wonder what explanation they'll give for why he still has them.
They never explained why Liu Kang could shoot fireballs or turn into a Tarakata Dragon before becoming an Elder God. We assume Raiden just can, because trained himself for this.

They should have gotten Dan Southworth to play him again if they're going down that route.
Would have been beautiful, but at least we got Quantum Red Ranger.

Reactions: thebobmaster

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I like that they’re bringing back more juggles. It seems like a blend of the last two pace-wise. A bit disappointed it still looks relatively similar artistically but maybe thats because I was also kinda hoping for more of an overhaul in terms of visual style and combat mechanics vs further iteration of past games. Basically like a more brutal version of Tekken with more focus on the physics of different fighting styles, hand-to-hand fundamentals, etc. and less focus on the silly X-ray shit.

Eh, it’s still too early to judge without actually playing. I’m sure it’ll still be fun.

jojithepainter

May 8, 2023
Country
Switzerland
So, there will be tag-team fatalities and x-ray moves now? For each possible combination of kombatants?