Nvidia announces RTX 4000 series - Promises big performance, even bigger prices

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
And now the 4060ti

This should be going for about 1/2 what their pricing it.

View attachment 8842
View attachment 8843
Hardware Unboxed were significantly unimpressed, with the 8GB VRAM base model commanding a $400 sticker price being the major sticking point.

I'll wait for the actual benchmarks, but at first blush this looks like nVidia just not learning.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I picked up one of these. https://starforgesystems.com/products/voyager-creator-edition-pro-pc

It runs everything I've tried so far beautifully.
That has some amazing specs. Beautiful case.
I plan to have a ton of storage in my next build. And I'm thinking I'll need heat sink on my M2 storage.
Does this already have heat sink?
1684484457741.png

Does the case have room and the power supply come with added cables to add some 2.5 and 3.5 storage if you like? If not, depending upon your needs, you might just add a USB external drive.

Hardware Unboxed were significantly unimpressed, with the 8GB VRAM base model commanding a $400 sticker price being the major sticking point.

I'll wait for the actual benchmarks, but at first blush this looks like nVidia just not learning.
It's almost enough to make me go Intel Arc on my next build just to show them some resistance but those are even more entry level than the 4060.

Not though they'd miss me much. My last 2 builds were AMD. My last nVidia card was a GS 250 in my 2009 build. It ran Crysis well back in the day.

1684485104419.png

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I plan to have a ton of storage in my next build. And I'm thinking I'll need heat sink on my M2 storage.
You can go without a heatsink, but m.2 tends to run hot enough natively to where it throttles performance and potentially shortens the drive's lifespan.
Does this already have heat sink?
No, that drive doesn't come with a heatsink.

Before you go buying one tho, check if your motherboard doesn't come with a heatsink included first. Unless you're planning on doing big read/writes often, a mobo heatsink should be enough to keep drive temps at reasonable levels for regular gaming/media use. Also has the advantage of being designed such that it doesn't physically interfere with other components, like your gpu or large cpu coolers.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Does the case have room and the power supply come with added cables to add some 2.5 and 3.5 storage if you like? If not, depending upon your needs, you might just add a USB external drive.
Honestly i have no knowledge of that kind of thing. I know enough about computers to know that i need good Ram, a good cpu, and a good gpu. Beyond that im clueless.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Honestly i have no knowledge of that kind of thing. I know enough about computers to know that i need good Ram, a good cpu, and a good gpu. Beyond that im clueless.
As far is can tell, the mobo has four full size m.2 slots, meaning you can add another three m.2 nvme drives. Don't need any extra cables for those, but I'm not sure the cpu has enough pcie lanes to support the gpu and four nvme drives without bottlenecking.

Aside from that there are also 6 sata slots you could fill with sata ssds or hdds. Not sure whether the cables for those are included. I don't think so.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
As far is can tell, the mobo has four full size m.2 slots, meaning you can add another three m.2 nvme drives. Don't need any extra cables for those, but I'm not sure the cpu has enough pcie lanes to support the gpu and four nvme drives without bottlenecking.

Aside from that there are also 6 sata slots you could fill with sata ssds or hdds. Not sure whether the cables for those are included. I don't think so.
Yikes, I hadn't thought of such things in a long time. Before plug and play, you often had to choose an I/O for your devices.

My plan is to start 30 TB of storage: 2 TB m.2 with room to expand to 2x4 TB, 2x2tb 2.5 ssds to expand to 4 each at some point and 2x12 TB 3.5 drives which may may never require an upgrade (but may have to R&R one or both as they age). As long as I don't RAID 1 any of them, I'd think at worst I'd be using the OS and AP (aka Steam, EA, Epic) on the C: and wherever the game I'm play is stored simultaneously. If that is wrong, I may have to entirely rework these ideas.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Yikes, I hadn't thought of such things in a long time. Before plug and play, you often had to choose an I/O for your devices.

My plan is to start 30 TB of storage: 2 TB m.2 with room to expand to 2x4 TB, 2x2tb 2.5 ssds to expand to 4 each at some point and 2x12 TB 3.5 drives which may may never require an upgrade (but may have to R&R one or both as they age). As long as I don't RAID 1 any of them, I'd think at worst I'd be using the OS and AP (aka Steam, EA, Epic) on the C: and wherever the game I'm play is stored simultaneously. If that is wrong, I may have to entirely rework these ideas.
I guess that would work. But if you need that much storage, I would maybe consider setting up a NAS instead.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I guess that would work. But if you need that much storage, I would maybe consider setting up a NAS instead.
That can work with lots of caveats. 1 GB BW min. suggested: nowadays, mother boards have 2.5 GB ethernet ports. I have my gaming rig hooked up to a pretty fast router. Put the NAS in the same router. Not sure why some concern out there that games won't auto update on a NAS. I'll review that too. But that could be a fantastic alternative for a number of reasons, (not the least of which is that I can upgrade/repair a NAS much more easily than cracking open my rig and do it at my leisure.) thanks for sharing!

EDIT: This loon put Windows directly onto the NAS with unplayable results. Reviewing some more.

2nd EDIT: Better. Not perfect. Maybe have older games on the NAS with state of the art on internal SSDs. This looks doable.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007

Caveat: Using M.2 slots will also sometimes take away available SATA ports, depending on the motherboard. I ran into this problem with my current build, where the second M.2 drive meant I could only use three of the available six SATA ports. You only get so many lanes!

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Caveat: Using M.2 slots will also sometimes take away available SATA ports, depending on the motherboard. I ran into this problem with my current build, where the second M.2 drive meant I could only use three of the available six SATA ports. You only get so many lanes!
Yes, true, my current mobo has that too, tho it's not much of an issue since I only use one m.2 for my boot drive and a couple sata ssds for storage.

Anyway, looks like Criticals cpu and chipset have enough lanes to support occupying all m.2 and all but one of the sata slots. But as I said, if you need that much storage, might wanna look into a NAS.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

You wanna do 30TB, either do a NAS or, better yet, build your own server. Run something like Unraid on it. The initial outlay is going to be a bit bigger, but the versatility gains are almost priceless. Hell if you're so inclined you can turn the NAS into a programmable router, wifi AP and firewall.

Like if you want games storage, I've got a 2TB SSD and its got 73 games installed. Plenty of of modern AAA in terms of size, and I've still got 292GB free. So if you splurge on a 4TB SSD, unless the only games you ever buy and install are the latest AAA releases and their DLC, you won't run out of space any time soon.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
You wanna do 30TB, either do a NAS or, better yet, build your own server. Run something like Unraid on it. The initial outlay is going to be a bit bigger, but the versatility gains are almost priceless. Hell if you're so inclined you can turn the NAS into a programmable router, wifi AP and firewall.

Like if you want games storage, I've got a 2TB SSD and its got 73 games installed. Plenty of of modern AAA in terms of size, and I've still got 292GB free. So if you splurge on a 4TB SSD, unless the only games you ever buy and install are the latest AAA releases and their DLC, you won't run out of space any time soon.
Yeah, I'm kinda a loon. Love to collect games. I currently have a 1 TB SSD, 4 TB x7200 internal 3.5" and a WD external USB 3.0 4 TBand in between them all, I have about 1 TB total left: and I want to keep about 10% of these drives free. I have a ton of games I haven't downloaded as, don't really have room. And Epic is giving a couple away each week! Several from Amazon games each month. Don't judge me: my best bud has about 400 wrist watches and 25 custom bikes he rebuilt. Another 2 have comic book collections that would make the angels weep. Me and mine love our collections. At least mine is digital so my wife hasn't killed me yet.

Looked into the NAS. Long story short, I could be spending me some money. My external HD is a USB 3.0 5 GBs through put. New motherboard will likely have a 2.5 GBs Ethernet port. But I have a good router on my desktop (Linksys AC2200) with 1 GBs ports (not the main house router which is better but I don't want to move it for reasons) which the Internet tells me wont work great with a NAS, which needs 2.5. Which is odd. 4K video streams at about 25 MEGs. I've not heard of Unraid before. I will take a look, sounds very interesting. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: Rather than deal with disappointment in the 4000 series, they hype has begun for the 5000

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
So the 4060ti reviews are in. They're spicy. TLDR: Only 10% faster than the 3060ti, and in some situations actually worse.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
So the 4060ti reviews are in. They're spicy. TLDR: Only 10% faster than the 3060ti, and in some situations actually worse.
Apparently JayzTwoCents put up a relatively positive video... and very quickly took it back down and apologized.

EDIT: Also, Roman at DerBauer found that the card only uses a PCI-E x8 interface, because it's so low-powered that's all it needs.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Goddamn jackasses. Based on that, charitably, this thing should have been the 4050 and cost no more than $200.
Yeah, the 4000 series is just a mess. None of it is good value over its predecessors.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yeah, the 4000 series is just a mess. None of it is good value over its predecessors.
Its not even great value if you're on the 2000 Series. And while literally anything would be an upgrade from shit like the 1070 1060, 1660 or 1650 they're too damned expensive to penetrate that market segment now.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
They seem to be good cards but they are charging way too much for them. Over charging leads to competition. So now we have the Intel Arc cards, which reportedly are pretty good entry level cards. But for those that already have pretty good cards, they aren't enough of an upgrade at that price. More below.

Its not even great value if you're on the 2000 Series. And while literally anything would be an upgrade from shit like the 1070 1060, 1660 or 1650 they're too damned expensive to penetrate that market segment now.
Those are all good cards but not really an upgrade from the 8 Gb RX 480 I already have. We'll see what the next several months brings. If nothing new of note by then, I may go for the low watt using RX 6700 XT which by then will be about $300. About twice as fast as the best Intel Arc card at a similar price (And more than twice as fast as my 480). Love that the Arc is here: Nvidia is charging too much, so the competition is coming in.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Love that the Arc is here: Nvidia is charging too much, so the competition is coming in.
Assuming Intel stick with the gpu game, and not give up because their cards aren't an immediate smash. Their biggest issue right now is drivers, and that'll take time to really get up to snuff (see also AMD)