Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The AQZ is on the other side of the galaxy. Your premise requires the idea that the Bugs just happen to propel an asteroid at FTL speeds, that just happens to hit Earth, despite the fact that by this point in time, hostile first contact has been made over 30 years ago.
How is the Bugs actively aiming asteroids for Earth more believeable though? The only means they have of even hitting the asteroids is through those plasma shots and those aren't hitting FTL. If the asteroids are even traveling that fast, which judging from when we see them in the movie, I don't think they are.

Um, yes? That's arguably true. It's part of why the false flag theory holds less water than it might otherwise, considering that the Federation is already anti-Arachnid.

Yes, but theories generally require something to base themselves off. For instance, using this example, I think a strong case can be made that the film is, in of itself, an in-universe propaganda piece, given the voiceover, news clips, and everything else that's used to present the Federation in a positive light. The false flag thing though is contradicted by the film. Or, to use another example, I can certainly theorize that the Skinnies exist in the film universe, but as far as I'm aware, there's nothing to back that theory up.
I never said it was a false flag. I said that considering how militarized and eager for combat and war Earth as a society is in this movie, it's not too hard to imagine them looking for conflict and seeing any form of possible danger from space as an enemy attack. I don't know if that is considered to be within the realm of a false flag, because to my understanding a false flag is the government actively falsifying what they know is true to blame and go to war with another country (or planet I guess). And that's not what I'm claiming with this view on the film. I'm saying this is a society so obsessed and hellbent on war that war is all they'll see, even in the face of something that could easily be a natural disaster.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
How is the Bugs actively aiming asteroids for Earth more believeable though? The only means they have of even hitting the asteroids is through those plasma shots and those aren't hitting FTL. If the asteroids are even traveling that fast, which judging from when we see them in the movie, I don't think they are.
It's not a question of what's more believable or not, it's a question of what's true. Here are the facts:

-The Arachnids colonize planets by using bolides. There's certainly iffiness early on as to whether these bolides drifted through space conventionally or not, but it's well established that this is how the Arachnids spread beyond Klendathu.

-We can safely assume that the asteroid comes from the AQZ because of what I said earlier about Zander and Deladier.

-Even leaving aside Terran Ascendancy (which was effectively retconned), we can see that the Bugs are capable of travelling at super-luminal speeds, given that by the third film, not only are the Bugs able to invade Federation territory (so clearly they must have FTL travel, because you can't travel between star systems in just a few years, unless those star systems are really close), but are able to threaten Sanctuary, which is entirely space-based.

-And again, while the Arachnids' attempted colonization of Mars in Insect Touch is never confirmed to be a direct action, or whether the bolide was moving at super-luminal speeds, the bolide colonization in Traitor of Mars has to be it. The bolide has to be moving at super-luminal speeds to make it from Klendathu to Sol (located on other sides of the galaxy) within the timeframe of the series up to this point.

As for how the Bugs do this? How they propel these asteroids, or how they're able to be as accurate as they are? No idea. It's far-fetched, even by the standards of the setting, where the lightspeed barrier is an acknowledged fact, and the Federation needs the C-drive to get around it. But that the Bugs are indeed able to do this is well established.

(And before anyone says anything, yes, this is exclusively in regards to film continuity. That the Bugs have FTL technology in Roughnecks and the novel is well established.)

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Transformers: Rise of the Beasts - 8/10

Bigger spectacle than Bumblebee, but manages to maintain the same tolerable ratio of robots to humans. My major complaint is that (continuity snarl bullshit aside) they did what they always do to ‘the smart guy’ in movies like this and make him look like a goddamn geek. That and they might have overreached on certain aspects for what is a second film. Plus it’s probably a little long: I’d need to see it again to try and figure out where to cut the fat though.

But, I really loved how much all the Autobots and their human allies spoke to each other and among themselves. Also, Optimus has got some of his sass back, that’s nice.

Look, I’m a tragic for the Transformers because love of childhood memories, but here’s a sober piece of advice to people who aren’t. You probably won’t miss much if you wait for streaming on a decent sized television.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Mad God, by Phil Tippet, it's surreal, it's gross, it has no dialogue (I mean it technically has one line of dialogue) and it has the best puppets I've ever seen, it's a mix media production I guess, by which I mean it's mostly animated with stop-motion but some parts use real actors in sets, it was legitimately amazing, highly recommended but maybe not if you can't stand body horror, there are a lot of horrific and really gross creatures in it.

Last edited:

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I didn't mistype the title of the film and then edited a correction, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Reactions: Absent

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
"We Still Kill the Old Way" - Grumpy Old Man/10

Look, I'm an easy mark for movies about old school gangsters showing wanna be gangsters what its like to play with the big boys. Usually because the wannabes are full of piss and vinegar right up until it becomes apparent they're dealing with proper hard bastards. And that's where I get the biggest laughs. This revenge ditty kicks off more or less with the murder of Charlie Archer (Stephen Berkoff, he of Octopussy fame) by some chavs because them attempting to gang rape a girl in an alley offends his old school gangster morals - not really a position you should read hard into really - and after he lamps one of them, and to his credit knocks him out stone cold, their leader kicks him to death. Someone calls the brother, brother comes back, gets a few old hardy boys together and they show the young bucks that even in their old age, the kind of men who survive TO old age in that life aren't the kind you want to fuck with.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
(00)7 Reasons why Diamonds are Forever is awesome

1. Sean's back, baby!
  2. Features what's probably my favorite Shirley Bassey song.
  3. The intro of Bond slapping around goons looking for Blofeld is awesome.
  4. The elevator fight scene is the best close quarters hand-to-hand sequence since the Grant fight in From Russia with Love.
  5. Plenty O'Toole.
  6. Donald Pleasance may be the more iconic Blofeld but Chales Gray is a joy in the role.
  7. Wint and Kidd basically steal the movie.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland

1. Sean's back, baby!
  4. The elevator fight scene is the best close quarters hand-to-hand sequence since the Grant fight in From Russia with Love.
  5. Plenty O'Toole.
  6. Donald Pleasance may be the more iconic Blofeld but Chales Gray is a joy in the role.
Also

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Extraction 2 - 8/10

These Extraction movies are some of the best action movies in recent years. This movie also does a massive action sequence with no cuts that starts with a prison break to a chase sequence to a train scene and it's fucking ridiculous. The action is on a grander scale than the first movie but not as tightly choreographed as the 1st movie. The side characters (sister/brother combo) get a lot more screen time. The emotional through-line is not quite on par with the 1st movie and the basic premise that his ex-wife has a sister that is married to an abusive crime lord that's imprisoned in a Georgian prison (who forces his wife and kids to stay in said prison) definitely seems super unlikely, but it does work well enough. These movies play it straight enough but know full well what they are. We even get a fucking montage (we need a montage!!!) but sadly not 80s style. We also get some straight up funny kill scenes like military John Wick played by Thor is in a Jeep being chased by a motorcycle and his solution is to shoot his grenade launcher at a tree for it to fall over and take out the biker right behind him; the aim and timing to do that is beyond ridiculous and it's still amazing.

---

Guardians 3 and Wakanda Forever were also big hits, and Avatar 2 did make 2 billion.
And the 4 movies I listed as losing money wipe out the profits of those movies.

Reactions: gorfias

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

1. Sean's back, baby!
  5. Plenty O'Toole.
I agree with 4 and 7. Sean Connery was clearly just going through the motions for me, Goldfinger is peak Shirley Bassey for me, intro was OK, Plenty O Toole was pretty, but not much else, and Telly Salavas is probably my favorite Blofeld.

I just watched the original Insidious for the first time (brother really wants to see the new one on Thursday for our weekly theater trip, so I need to watch the first two to get up to speed). It's a very effective horror movie, for the most part, and the ending definitely got me good. It gets a bit shaky during the climax, unfortunately, at least for me. That said, for someone who has seen as much horror as I have, it's nice to find a movie that could still build up a good atmosphere and make me care about the characters.

Reactions: gorfias

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I agree with 4 and 7. Sean Connery was clearly just going through the motions for me, Goldfinger is peak Shirley Bassey for me, intro was OK, Plenty O Toole was pretty, but not much else, and Telly Salavas is probably my favorite Blofeld.

Sean going through the motions is still a better actor than Lazenby, and a better Bond than most who followed.

Telly Savalas is a fun villain but his Blofeld is so far removed from the iconography of the character I just see him as some other bad guy. Besides he doesn't seem to acknowledge a history with Bond, or have an interesting dynamic with him, unlike every other recurring character in the series.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth

Nowhere near as repulsive as the first two and completely misses the point of Pinhead. To me Pinhead is the guy that shows up 10 minutes away from the ending to tell the characters that they done fucked up. He's not a slasher villain. He's shot from below, in an otherworldly jail cell with chains hanging from the ceiling, and there's a smoke machine in the corner. But here he's basically Freddy Kruger, specifically in Freddy's Revenge, stepping into a mundane real life setting and showboating in front of dozens (or a few hundred) of people at once, dishing torture like he's an X-Men villain. Instead of an ominous figure of portent he's just a cackling maniac with cheesy one-liners.

The cenobites are all fairly ridiculous and themed around singular mundane objects like they're Pokemon (have they made a car keys Pokemon yet?). There's cigarette cenobite, piston cenobite, CD cenobite (every movement comically accompanied by whirring "I'm a robot" sounds), videocamera cenobite, flaming cocktail cenobite... I can't take any of these guys seriously.

The main lady is very pretty but a horrible actress. She can't work a single terrified look on her pretty face the whole movie, even when her big debut is watching a dude asplode in the emergency room (and somehow leaving without any evidence - great reporting, plucky girl reporter). She also gets to run across empty streets and empty construction sites and empty fields a lot, but has to do it slow enough for the camera to follow her, so it comes across more like prancing, less like fleeing from demons.

Not to pick too much on her. Everybody's a horrible actor in this, so it's probably a director thing. Movie opens with the twunk version of Bobby Briggs from Twin Peaks waltzing into an art gallery at night and knowing my Clive Barker I assumed he was a male whore but no, twunk owns a nightclub (uh huh) and is straight (uh huh). He even does the Patrick Bateman thing of flexing his arms while he fucks (women). He buys a sculpture with the Lament Configuration embedded in it, somehow, and unwittingly brings Pinhead to his nightclub. This results in Pinhead comically being trapped and immobilized inside a cinderblock for most of the movie, his face alone exposed as he kinda desperately bargains with whoever's left in the room. Not a very dignified turn.

Twunk Bobby Briggs accidentally sacrifices a floozy to Pinhead (he has a fuck pad in the back of his nightclub) and is asked to bring more. I'm not sure what's in it for Bobby. When he finally brings him someone, instead of handpicking any bimbo from his club (he has an entourage of them in any other scene), he decides to call the one chick who left him - and ironically she sacrifices him instead (resulting in another unintentionally funny scene where the camera patiently holds on her for a little too long she tries kicking his limp body towards an immobilized Pinhead, to no avail).

Anyway.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
And the 4 movies I listed as losing money wipe out the profits of those movies.

Hey, then I stand corrected.

Whether this has to do with Disney just not making good movies anymore is very doubtful - their streaming service model has screwed both Disney and Warner. Whether Elemental or Indy 5 are bad, it's not the reason they flopped. Most people agree the Disney live-action remakes are pretty terrible, yet The Little Mermaid was seemingly the first to not do well, at least, well enough. And even that movie has a pretty good audience rating.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Across the Mission Impossible 2: Dial of Destiny Part 1 Phase 6 Take 5

The movie somehow turns finding two halves of a key into a (close to) three hour epic where not a whole lot has changed by the end. Actually it's not so much about finding the two halves of a key as verifying they have the correct ones. We know what the key opens from the very first scene, but none of the characters do until the last scene.

The whole plot is a non-event of circular talk between people who insist on explaining things they already know to each other, which is that they need to authenticate the two halves of a key to something or other. And you'll get tired of hearing about The Entity, a sentient AI that is calling all the shots and can basically Dr. Strange the outcome to everything.

Now don't get me wrong. The movie is tons of fun. And if you thought Spider-Verse pulled off superhero multiverse brilliantly compared to The Flash, Mission Impossible is the answer to Dial of Destiny's tepid, overlong, uncreative, CGI-heavy action scenes. There are two speeding trains between those two movies, hero and villain going mano a mano on the roof, and I believed one of them. Mission Impossible even does it in daytime!

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
There are two speeding trains between those two movies, hero and villain going mano a mano on the roof, and I believed one of them. Mission Impossible even does it in daytime!
The main difference between the James Bond and the Mission Impossible franchise is which side of the train's roof the fights take place.

I suspect both series were filmed in parallel on the same trains.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Across the Mission Impossible 2: Dial of Destiny Part 1 Phase 6 Take 5

The movie somehow turns finding two halves of a key into a (close to) three hour epic where not a whole lot has changed by the end. Actually it's not so much about finding the two halves of a key as verifying they have the correct ones. We know what the key opens from the very first scene, but none of the characters do until the last scene.

The whole plot is a non-event of circular talk between people who insist on explaining things they already know to each other, which is that they need to authenticate the two halves of a key to something or other. And you'll get tired of hearing about The Entity, a sentient AI that is calling all the shots and can basically Dr. Strange the outcome to everything.

Now don't get me wrong. The movie is tons of fun. And if you thought Spider-Verse pulled off superhero multiverse brilliantly compared to The Flash, Mission Impossible is the answer to Dial of Destiny's tepid, overlong, uncreative, CGI-heavy action scenes. There are two speeding trains between those two movies, hero and villain going mano a mano on the roof, and I believed one of them. Mission Impossible even does it in daytime!

Trying to determine if this is glowing endorsement, acceptance of mediocrity, or a scathing criticism, and whether I should see it or not, but I guess that's pretty much the state of the industry these days: the truth tends to be a mix bag of all of those things. Truth is, I'll likely see it for pure entertainment, keep expectations low, and will be too busy munching popcorn and bouncing around in my D-Box seat to allowing the niggling details deter what surface enjoyment I'm able to wring out of this affair.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Chevalier on Hulu

First, it is good. 7/10.

Right before the French revolution, Queen Marie Antoinette names Caribbean man, Joseph Bologne , Chevalier. He is a master composer, violinist and sword duelist. His real life story includes even more talents.

Odd, this movie had been billed as a comedy. There is one amusing scene at the very beginning and the rest is pretty straightforward auto bio drama.
He has a play off vs. Mozart and wins. Whether it happened exactly like this or not, in real life, they did have history together. Mozart had cause to resent him some as Chevalier was a connected established man and Mozart thought, at the time, as a lite weight interloper.

And it runs into the problem that often hurts bio pics. How to size it, an entire life in a 120 min. run time? Will it be too focused or meandering? Does it have a compelling story or not?

This is both too meandering and focused at the same time. It focuses mostly on one period in his life yet there doesn't appear to be anything more than tropes we've seen a million times before about a talented fish out of water's challenges as a stranger in a strange land. An outsider. But there's no compelling story outside that. In reality there was a ton more to his life. He becomes a colonel in the military, spends a decade or so in a military prison. We find out in end titles some outrages against him (i.e. Napoleon tries to destroy all of his works, hence until relatively recently, so few, including me, knew of him). But if you throw all that in, you have meandering so they didn't do it.

As I wrote above, 7/10. It is worth watching for its parts. Then read up on the real guy.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Hey, then I stand corrected.

Whether this has to do with Disney just not making good movies anymore is very doubtful - their streaming service model has screwed both Disney and Warner. Whether Elemental or Indy 5 are bad, it's not the reason they flopped. Most people agree the Disney live-action remakes are pretty terrible, yet The Little Mermaid was seemingly the first to not do well, at least, well enough. And even that movie has a pretty good audience rating.
It's probably a number of things. It seemed like Disney gave up on Elemental because the marketing was pretty weak. Indy 5 was just a bad idea to begin with after Crystal Skull that nobody actually considers an Indy movie (basically the attitude for most is that Indiana Jones had JUST 3 movies, good thing they never made anymore). You think people are gonna care about another one after that? The fact that that most of these are kids movies and they are failing is pretty telling because those should be like freebies in a sense because parents take the kids meaning you're getting extra ticket sales from people the movie isn't targeting obviously. Even Indiana Jones should be a kids movie, did they not see the trilogy, they are basically sorta like James Bond movies but for kids. There's a freaking Scooby Doo chase scene in Raiders and the new Indy movie has a trailer set to Sympathy for the Devil, it's obvious they are missing the point of what Indiana Jones is supposed to be.

Disney movies just aren't that good anymore (especially very recently at least). I'm completely done with Marvel movies because after Endgame, they've been shit outside of Guardians 3 (because James Gunn had creative control) and the last Spiderman (which is partly Sony or something like that, not sure) and Shang-Chi was solid; the last Thor, Black Panther were just horrible movies. Multiverse of Madness was bad and it even had Raimi directing. Eternals was so forgettable I had to look up the name of it just now. Bad Marvel movies used to be at worst like 5/10s to where you were entertained and left feeling like it was fine even if you didn't think it was anything special, now they are just straight bad and boring and longer than they've ever been to boot. I'm assuming the same is for the live-action remakes (I only saw the Jungle Book one) and I didn't even see The Lion King (which is my favorite animated one) or Little Mermaid and probably never will; they completely miss the point with making the animals look real and can't be as emotive and fun as their cartoon counterparts. They were cartoons for a reason. Also, the movies are so much longer too, Little Mermaid is like an hour longer than the original for no purpose. With these live actions, I'm assuming they are less and less in quality as I hear no one really liking them much and the more mediocre/bad content you put out, the more it affects the overall brand, and people stop giving you the benefit of the doubt that the next thing will be good. The movies used to basically print money as you say The Little Mermaid is the first one not pulling in like an automatic billion dollars in revenue because the brand has been damaged. Also, China completely didn't care about it at all, you can say no one saw it there and almost be literally right, that's how bad it did.

Oversaturation is a thing as well. Marvel movies used be maybe 4 movies a year (probably less even) so that's like 8 hours a year of your time to keep up everything. Now, it's probably more movies plus you have all the shows (and none of them have been good). The next movie is The Marvels IIRC and 2 of the main characters in that movie are characters from the TV shows that like no one watched. So Marvel content basically went from an NFL season of 16 games to a baseball season of 162 games in a sense. Plus, with all the oversaturation of the Marvel content, there's no real main plot line going like with the infinity stones and Thanos like before. Same goes for the PIxar output and live action output, they are doing Moana remake and the thing isn't even 10 years old. These kinds of things used to be events and now it's just like another Tuesday (ala General Bison).

The streaming service is probably a problem as well with how fast the movies get put on streaming that people are just waiting to watch them on there. Plus, with ticket prices going up and the ridiculous cost of buying anything to go with the movie like popcorn, people probably rather spend their money elsewhere. I also think that politics are a bit of a problem as well as people do care about that stuff as you can see with Bud Light and Target, but I also doubt it's THE reason why they aren't making money but one of the factors. It even goes past just that too because even the general person I think is getting tired with literally everything being race or gender swapped, you can basically "call" what type of actor/actress they will cast for whatever the next remake is. Just make good movies with good characters, that's what people want.