Baldur's Gate 3

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Fair enough, nothing is ever all or anything to all people.
Tis a shame, I've always wanted to like them, especially the Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale etc games because although being very familiar with the 2nd ed rules, world, novels etc I never really got to play DnD, so I had hoped they would be good for me, but it was not to be.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Tis a shame, I've always wanted to like them, especially the Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale etc games because although being very familiar with the 2nd ed rules, world, novels etc I never really got to play DnD, so I had hoped they would be good for me, but it was not to be.
Baring massive improvement in AI, a video game will never capture what a DnD session is (conversely a DnD session would really struggle to reproduce a game experience). DnD session are mostly about the social interaction and the "WTF just happened?!" moment where session go heavily off script into weird territory. An analogy would be to say that a good DnD session is like one long inside joke, you could explain exactly what happened and would sound mostly boring, but to the participant, it was the best thing ever.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Baring massive improvement in AI, a video game will never capture what a DnD session is (conversely a DnD session would really struggle to reproduce a game experience). DnD session are mostly about the social interaction and the "WTF just happened?!" moment where session go heavily off script into weird territory. An analogy would be to say that a good DnD session is like one long inside joke, you could explain exactly what happened and would sound mostly boring, but to the participant, it was the best thing ever.
Indeed, a computer game is never going to be able to compare to playing a PNP RPG with your mates. The Bethesda FPRPGs are about the closest I've found.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Apparently there's now some controversy that this game is too big and has too much content which will make it unfair by raising the standard for other games.

Basically the game is too good and it sucks for bad games cause now they will be shown for how bad they truly are, which is a problem, somehow.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
OH man, I was gonna start a thread on BG3, but I guess I was beaten lol.

I did check out early access when it first came out. And my god, it was in a messy state. Texture bugs, hard crashes, obvious balancing issues, quests being bugged so you can never complete them, etc. And to top it off, only Act 1 was accessible.

But I also though there was a very solid game underneath. It's very DnD through and through, and you can do all sorts of ridiculous shit just like in DOS2. I did check back whenever they had major updates like adding a new class or sub-area within Act 1, but each time I didn't stick around very long because I wanted to see what's beyond Act 1.

I recently broke away from Diablo 4, and have been looking for something else to play. This is gonna be sweet

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
So what races are people gonna play?

I typically play half orcs in everything dnd that lets me but this one has that Dragonkin race that is new to me (not sure which dnd edition added them but thank Tiamat) and I think I'll be breaking tradition for them.

I've not looked much into the classes and mechanics but I caught wind of that race in a vid and now I'm just brimming with questions about the mechanics and classes and gear and whether this game also has nunchaku as a weapon type lol.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

I typically play half orcs in everything dnd that lets me but this one has that Dragonkin race that is new to me (not sure which dnd edition added them but thank Tiamat) and I think I'll be breaking tradition for them.

I've not looked much into the classes and mechanics but I caught wind of that race in a vid and now I'm just brimming with questions about the mechanics and classes and gear and whether this game also has nunchaku as a weapon type lol.

I plan to start as a Human Monk, and see where that takes me. Monk was my class in my first DnD game irl, so I'm hoping to relive some of that.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

Definitely Human fighter, Half-Elf cleric, Half-Orc Barbarian, or Dragonkin Monk. It looks like most of the races will be from Dnd 5e Player handbook, which is a minor bummer for me because there are other cool races like Arakocra in the expansion. Maybe they'll be added in BG3's own update/expansion?

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Definitely Human fighter, Half-Human cleric, Half-Orc Barbarian, or Dragonkin Monk. It looks like most of the races will be from Dnd 5e Player handbook, which is a minor bummer for me because there are other cool races like Arakocra in the expansion. Maybe they'll be added in BG3's own update/expansion?
Aye, that half orc barbarian is my usual go to. Love them big juicy crits. I guess I'll be availing myself of that handbook XD.

I plan to start as a Human Monk, and see where that takes me. Monk was my class in my first DnD game irl, so I'm hoping to relive some of that.
Every time I play a monk they end up as some kind of fist of the north star character. One time I izuna dropped a guy through a building from the roof to the basement. Fun times.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Man, seeing this stuff makes me feel giddy like I'm reading a new rulebook again.

I always loved reading rulebooks, even of games I had no group to play with (rip Vampire the Masquerade)

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I think I'll do a druid or bard for class as I like playing a character rather flexible and let the rest of the party be more simple and straight classes like fighters/rogues/clerics/etc. Since bard is charisma based, I'll probably do a tiefling or half-elf for the charisma bonus if I go the bard route. Not too many races getting wisdom bonuses for the druid class, I tend to like to play a short race for a druid because it's fun to be able to wild shape and become bigger than basically everyone else, some gnomes get a +1 to wisdom so probably a gnome druid.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Won't be able to play this game on my PC.

So I'm hoping it might come to console since other RPGs like this have made it to the Xbox Series X I think

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Won't be able to play this game on my PC.

So I'm hoping it might come to console since other RPGs like this have made it to the Xbox Series X I think
PS5 release is early September which is what I'm gonna be playing. Not sure about xbox if you just have that but it will be on there too eventually.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Apparently one of the barbarian subclasses can talk to animals. I loved talking to animals in divinity OS2. I guess that's it for my first playthrough.