If DeSantis wins

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I've never made over 40K in a year and don't have any money from any inheritances either.
Cool, why are you telling me this? Do you think this somehow means everyone else is able to purchase their own home?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
You don't have to put down 20% to buy.
That is not true of everywhere. Lending is somewhat more regulated in Australia and banks often request a sizeable deposit before any home loans will be approved. Here, 20% is the preferred deposit - so about 200k based on the median house price but obviously that can go up or down - but some are willing to accept lower deposits. I was allowed to put down 10% as long as I paid for Lender’s Mortgage Insurance, and a work colleague was able to get away with 5% but that involved his or his wife’s father going guarantor for them.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Cool, why are you telling me this? Do you think this somehow means everyone else is able to purchase their own home?
Everyone can just move to where housing is cheaper. It's not like the housing is cheaper in those places due to less demand and everyone looking to move there would cause housing costs to skyrocket. Gentrification isn't even a thing.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
That is not true of everywhere. Lending is somewhat more regulated in Australia and banks often request a sizeable deposit before any home loans will be approved. Here, 20% is the preferred deposit - so about 200k based on the median house price but obviously that can go up or down - but some are willing to accept lower deposits. I was allowed to put down 10% as long as I paid for Lender’s Mortgage Insurance, and a work colleague was able to get away with 5% but that involved his or his wife’s father going guarantor for them.
In Ireland a first time buyer can get away with 10%, providing they are buying as a couple. If you're single it's 20% no matter if it's your first home. You can also only get approved up to 4 times your income.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Companies seeking to preserve profits and exit an untenable market is "woke"? Are Republicans just turning into Pokémon, only being able to say one word?
I may not agree with your sentiment, but that's a high quality joke.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
DeSantis ends lifetime alimony. This poster notes that this has typically been seen as a men's problem. As women are now often earning more than their husbands, it has now become a problem for enough women, there is finally action upon it.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
DeSantis ends lifetime alimony. This poster notes that this has typically been seen as a men's problem. As women are now often earning more than their husbands, it has now become a problem for enough women, there is finally action upon it.

No, he just reckons that 'probably' was the reason, cuz 'women', and society hates men.
It's just another worthless sexist opinion. of no value whatsoever.
Meanwhile, in reality....

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
No, he just reckons that 'probably' was the reason, cuz 'women', and society hates men.
It's just another worthless sexist opinion. of no value whatsoever.
Meanwhile, in reality....
This will hurt older women that were living life off of ex husbands they divorced for reason, little reason, or no reason at all. There does need to be a different system.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The same group of people who were clamoring to end alimony are the same people trying to kill no-fault divorce. Don't pretend they only give a shit now because sometimes women pay men alimony.

Anyway, DeSantis has been trying to set up a private military. It hasn't been going well because he can't just say he wants a private military, and lying to people when setting up an organization leads to that organization falling apart

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Anyway, DeSantis has been trying to set up a private military. It hasn't been going well because he can't just say he wants a private military, and lying to people when setting up an organization leads to that organization falling apart
Well, how can Florida be the place where "woke" goes to die if you don't have people willing to violently murder "the woke"?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
On top of everything else, the stated goal of a disaster preparedness group is hardly a bad one, if he'd just gone for that, (and done it half decently). But no, now can't even get that.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
On top of everything else, the stated goal of a disaster preparedness group is hardly a bad one, if he'd just gone for that, (and done it half decently). But no, now can't even get that.
That's the worst part, for me at least: people loved that idea. The veterans who're getting abused and are leaving in droves loved that idea. It's legitimately a good idea.

But it was a cover lie. Because conservatives are like, allergic to giving a shit about their fellow citizens. I could pitch a half-dozen nationalistic ideas about how the help he nation they pretend to love and they'd reject all of them because it'd involve the government helping a non-billionaire. "Patriot Care" would go over particularly well I feel. A healthy nation is a strong nation after all and the military's been warning for decades how our general population isn't up to snuff. Could even go super bigoted with it and the GOP would never lose an election again regardless. But they couldn't do it, not in a century

Reactions: Absent

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Yep, everybody you don't agree with is constantly lying. That's the only reasonable explanation
The only reasonable explanation that you won't show me where in the bill/law it says what you say it says is because it's not in there.

Yes I do. You know other countries exist right?
Yes, and I'm supposed to know how to buy a house in another country? So I was right about everything else then?

I didn't buy a home. What I said was that you can own vs renting, the only thing to own isn't just a house.

I'm obviously aware countries are different. My experiences and knowledge come from living in the US so that's gonna be my known perspective. I put done 20% myself and wanted to put more down to reduce the monthly payment but it was too late in the process to do that (it took awhile to get accurate numbers on the taxes and whatnot to know the exact monthly payment for it all). And part of my argument was that you don't need to buy a house to own instead of renting. Why rent an apartment when a condo can be basically the same thing for the same monthly price so when you decide to move somewhere else, you can sell the condo and at least get money back (or make money overall if the value went up) toward the next place you move to? Renting should be cheaper, leasing a car is cheaper per month because you don't own the car obviously.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Yes, and I'm supposed to know how to buy a house in another country? So I was right about everything else then?
No you're supposed to not act like you know what you're talking about when you don't have a fucking clue. I told I'd need a 20% deposit and you decided to tell me I don't because you're a thick petulant child who wants to weigh in on every fucking topic despite being completely uninformed. You could have just not told me I don't need a 20% deposit. You could have acted with even an ounce of humility once. But you're just so dumb and arrogant you can't do that.

What do you mean right about everything else? You literally just quoted the sentence where I said I'd need a 20% deposit and said I was wrong. You were wrong about the only argument we were having. "Right about everything else". How tapped are you ya weirdo?

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
We're talking about the housing market. Did you lose track again?
My money is on he doesn't realise he said "home" instead of house and he's gonna come back with "I bought a condo." Because he's truly, profoundly, should only be allowed a plastic spoon, dumb.