Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
She is basically the female Kevin Hart.
That's high and undeserved praise. I'd never put her the same level of Kevin Hart; she's not anywhere near as clever or entertaining. Hart has a level of self-awareness and character about him that Haddish lacks in spades. Her constantly feeling out the audience and smiling at her own punchlines make it feel disingenuous. That, and she's simply obnoxious. I mean, if she is entertaining to anyone, so be it, but she'll never be entertaining to me. I'll happily watch everything going on around her versus focusing on her in most things.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The defense of course wants the viewer to believe the shushing as a laughable excuse, but it’s really no different than any vulnerable person under immense stress finally snapping after any little thing that sends them over the edge. In Candy’s case it was repressed emotional trauma that surfaced once she herself was ripped out of her apple pie life back into a traumatic situation.

It’s also about unfortunate timing, because if Betty did that to her pre-confronation, no biggie. After swinging at and hitting her with an ax…as they say only someone who has been in that kind of situation could really understand the response it may trigger from anyone, let alone someone already damaged.

Also I watched Candy after Love & Death, but will wait until you do to comment.
You mean the Prosecution would want the shushing to be seen as laughable? Less laughable than the proposition that Betty actually shushed someone she was trying to melee murder. Possible but I don't really buy it. What I do buy is that if one's fight or flight instincts have kicked in, you're hardly going to whack your attacker just enough to protect yourself. One would go, as a buddy describes it, "mangy".
Well this is pretty much the argument against these never ending extended universes and franchises that go and on, and why endings are so important. They're either going to escalate beyond all reason, repeat themselves, or eat itself with distractions into irrelevance.
Sometimes they can dial back the stakes and even make a movie that is more personal. I like that Nolan says of his Batman movies that each one should be able to be a conclusion to the story. Begins has the baddies trying to destroy all of Gotham with a convoluted attack. They are able to dial the stakes back. Joker is more of a terrorist. Moon Raker was followed by the much more grounded "For Your Eyes Only." You do have me asking myself for other examples. May take a look at the Mission Impossible movies to compare.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Sometimes they can dial back the stakes and even make a movie that is more personal. I like that Nolan says of his Batman movies that each one should be able to be a conclusion to the story. Begins has the baddies trying to destroy all of Gotham with a convoluted attack. They are able to dial the stakes back. Joker is more of a terrorist. Moon Raker was followed by the much more grounded "For Your Eyes Only." You do have me asking myself for other examples. May take a look at the Mission Impossible movies to compare.
I haven't seen the Mission Impossible movies so I can't say about those.

James Bond though- the main reason I wish they'd stopped is because I just feel like the character made sense in the 60s and is so of its time that it just feels stupid now, especially with the Cold War over a long time ago. But also, these movies are not serialized, it's like an anthology series.

The Batman example kind of proves my point- Nolan and Bale stopped at 3. I'm not saying never make a sequel or re-use characters, I'm just saying they go too much sometimes.
The MCU is serialized- it's all this big connected thing. Like Star Wars, too. It never ends, so nothing matters.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
You mean the Prosecution would want the shushing to be seen as laughable? Less laughable than the proposition that Betty actually shushed someone she was trying to melee murder. Possible but I don't really buy it. What I do buy is that if one's fight or flight instincts have kicked in, you're hardly going to whack your attacker just enough to protect yourself. One would go, as a buddy describes it, "mangy".

Yeah the Prosecution. What sucks about being on a newer account here is limited time to edit shit. *sigh* I really need to start bugging Nick again or just find a phone # for Gamurs Group since they apparently don’t even check their message system.

Anyways Betty was pretty wacko herself. Wouldn’t be surprised if she started thinking Candy has the upper hand and tried to disarm and subsequently ambush her again with the shushing tactic. “The Shushing” would probably make for a good spoof flick title.

Reactions: gorfias

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
You do have me asking myself for other examples.
There's quite a few different examples just with the Bond movies (Licence to Kill, etc) and novels (Diamonds are Forever, etc). But also Temple of Doom. Some MCU films. The Tintin albums (quite radically with the castafiore emerald : that's dialed back to zero). Dirty Harry maybe. Hey, Alien 3. Rambo I think (haven't seen these) ? It seems to happen reassuringly often.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
“The Shushing” would probably make for a good spoof flick title.
They really need to add an LOL button to our response options. I'm already trying to plot such a movie out in my head and the very idea has me chuckling. Were I to write one? Probably take place in a cursed nursing home.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Were I to write one? Probably take place in a cursed nursing home.
Isn't that just Bubba Ho-Tep?

Anyway, I found an old Australian TV gem on Amazon Prime last night.

Police Rescue. As the name implies, this is about the (Sydney based) Police Search and Rescue team. And the first episode doesn't fuck about with our protagonists abseiling down from the roof to the fifty seventh floor of a building to prevent a man from committing suicide. It follows most of the tropes and trappings of the police procedural of the day (90s onward) but where there would be investigations and interviews, you've got them setting up the rescues or performing the searches. Makes it a little different.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Isn't that just Bubba Ho-Tep?
again, they need an LOL button here!
All I can imagine is two geezers trying to steal each others jello, hitting each other with walking sticks screaming, "SHUSH!" Demon possessed.
And Bubba Ho-Tep is one of the greatest movies ever made.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Flight Attendant - Season 1 & 2 - 6/10

The show is like the epitome of "fine". It's stars Kaley Cuoco as a very party girl flight attendant that heavily drinks and wakes up in the morning with a dead rich guy she slept with. The show is about her trying to figure out what happened and who killed him. The show moves with a rather breakneck pacing and editing almost akin to 24 (where you see a few camera angles at once). The show is never really boring, but it's never really good either. I'm guessing there's tons of plot-holes if you care enough to think about it vs just going along for the ride (with standard multi-national corporations, CIA involvement, hackers, North Korean spies, etc.) It's perfectly good binge material if you're looking for something light and fluffy.

Based on a True Story - Season 1 - 9/10

This show is damn damn entertaining and loved it quite a bit. I didn't realize that it also starred Kaley Cuoco as well and at least from these 2 shows (as I never watched Big Bang Theory), her range is literally just one character and that's it. The show is about a married couple that finds out the identity of a serial killer and try to hit it big in the true crime fandom making a podcast with said serial killer. It's pretty laugh out loud funny at times and features some great stuff like 2 episodes that take place at CrimeCon (which looks like it's actually a real fucking convention...) and a really ridiculous rich people party that blew-up in an amazing way. The show does feature some biting commentary on the whole true crime obsession in America (which I totally don't get at all, is this a thing in other countries too?). The actor that plays the serial killer is pretty fucking awesome in the role. Loved the show to bits and can't wait for another season.

Here's a bit of dialogue from the show that illustrates the tone of the show:
"Even if I stitched Michael Fassbender's foreskin onto Orlando Bloom's dick and Frankensteined the perfect penis, I still couldn't get it up for you!"

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Doctor Who: Enlightenment (3/5)

A OldWho serial starring the Fifth Doctor that, like most of OldWho, is filled with wonky writing, wonky acting, and wonky effects.

Even by the standards of OldWho, this serial is pretty lacklusture. Five and his companions end up on a sailing ship, or rather what they think is a sailing ship, but instead is a ship sailing through space (not even in the Treasure Planet sense, it's just a ship). The ship is crewed by ethereals (immortal beings) who want to win a race to obtain enlightenment. And, well, stuff happens.

Yes, I could say more, such as the whole thing with Turlough and the Black Guardian, or an ethereal being attracted to Teagan, but it's barely worth mentioning. I usually like the Fifth Doctor (even more than Four, believe it or not), but to quote an ancient and wise saying from the depths of Mutter's Spiral, "this ain't it, chief."

Overwatch: Genesis (4/5)

...god damn it, why couldn't you name it "Genisys?" Yes, I know Terminator took that title, but FFS, both IPs deal with rogue AIs, come on, spice things up!

Huh? Oh, yes, the review.

Basically, this is an animated prequel series to Season 6 of Overwatch, as in, it details the history of the Omnic Crisis, leading up to season 6 carrying the story forward with the invasion plotline and whatnot. Going into things, I was a bit wary, as I doubted that the series would really give me that much new info, since I'm well versed in Overwatch lore. I'm not decrying the series ipso facto, since it's obviously meant for relative newcomers more than anything else, but even then, the series has a number of things going for it. In that:

-This is a subjective judgement, but the series has "edge,' without being "edgy," and strikes a tone I think is a good middleground between how Overwatch initially portrayed the war (see the intro cinematic for the first game) and something like, say, The Animatrix (which incidentally I found myself reminded of given the animation style and subject matter). Granted, this isn't the first piece of Overwatch media to do this (see the Sojourn novel for instance), but as far as visual representations go, I think it's on the money. I mean, this is a global war with an (implied) death toll in the millions, so of course, things are going to be unpleasant for everyone involved.

-In terms of lore, like I said, while a lot of material here isn't technically new, what new stuff there is is appreciated. We finally know why Anubis went rogue (not the most original reason, but it's a reason nonetheless), and finally know exactly what happened with Aurora; what "the Awakening" was (I had suspicions this was the case, and I was about 90% right). Also, while not technically new, tying in with what I said above, I think this take on the conflict is better. In the past, it was along the lines of "robots attack, world's militaries fall apart, Overwatch saves the world." And yes, I know lore has fleshed things out since then (again, see the novel Sojourn, as much as I dislike it), but Genesis does a good job of expanding things here, not only in regards to the course of the war (e.g. how Aurora's sacrifice gave humanity the opening it needed to take the fight to Anubis), but the shades of grey that followed afterwards, with some omnics laying down their arms, some fighting alongside humanity, some remaining loyal to Anubis to the end. While the Doylist answer for this apparent glossing over is that it likely wasn't concieved this far ahead (I say "likely," because Titan was a thing before Overwatch), the Watsonian explanation that comes to mind is that I can't help but wonder if the "friendly omnics'" role has intentionally been scrubbed out over time, given how pervalent anti-omnic sentiment is in many parts of the setting.

-Moving away from lore and on the subject of storytelling, it's well done - moves well, is efficient, etc. And yes, I did get "the feels" with Aurora's sacrifice, which incidentally, is likely the source of the Iris as well.

So, yeah. Pretty good. Now gimme MOAR!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Doctor Who: Enlightenment (3/5)

A OldWho serial starring the Fifth Doctor that, like most of OldWho, is filled with wonky writing, wonky acting, and wonky effects.

Even by the standards of OldWho, this serial is pretty lacklusture. Five and his companions end up on a sailing ship, or rather what they think is a sailing ship, but instead is a ship sailing through space (not even in the Treasure Planet sense, it's just a ship). The ship is crewed by ethereals (immortal beings) who want to win a race to obtain enlightenment. And, well, stuff happens.

Yes, I could say more, such as the whole thing with Turlough and the Black Guardian, or an ethereal being attracted to Teagan, but it's barely worth mentioning. I usually like the Fifth Doctor (even more than Four, believe it or not), but to quote an ancient and wise saying from the depths of Mutter's Spiral, "this ain't it, chief."
Hard disagree there. Ok, the acting is bad...or is it? Could it be that the actors are pretending to be bored aliens that can't act as humans? No, the pirates are just bad.

But I like this one, it manages to come up with lots of entertaining weirdness, but then have it make sense of a sort. Special effects aren't great, and the guardian and enlightenment stuff wasn't good, but the weird aliens doing their weird alien things worked, IMHO.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Flight Attendant - Season 1 & 2 - 6/10

The show is like the epitome of "fine". It's stars Kaley Cuoco as a very party girl flight attendant that heavily drinks and wakes up in the morning with a dead rich guy she slept with. The show is about her trying to figure out what happened and who killed him. The show moves with a rather breakneck pacing and editing almost akin to 24 (where you see a few camera angles at once). The show is never really boring, but it's never really good either. I'm guessing there's tons of plot-holes if you care enough to think about it vs just going along for the ride (with standard multi-national corporations, CIA involvement, hackers, North Korean spies, etc.) It's perfectly good binge material if you're looking for something light and fluffy.

Based on a True Story - Season 1 - 9/10

This show is damn damn entertaining and loved it quite a bit. I didn't realize that it also starred Kaley Cuoco as well and at least from these 2 shows (as I never watched Big Bang Theory), her range is literally just one character and that's it. The show is about a married couple that finds out the identity of a serial killer and try to hit it big in the true crime fandom making a podcast with said serial killer. It's pretty laugh out loud funny at times and features some great stuff like 2 episodes that take place at CrimeCon (which looks like it's actually a real fucking convention...) and a really ridiculous rich people party that blew-up in an amazing way. The show does feature some biting commentary on the whole true crime obsession in America (which I totally don't get at all, is this a thing in other countries too?). The actor that plays the serial killer is pretty fucking awesome in the role. Loved the show to bits and can't wait for another season.

Here's a bit of dialogue from the show that illustrates the tone of the show:
"Even if I stitched Michael Fassbender's foreskin onto Orlando Bloom's dick and Frankensteined the perfect penis, I still couldn't get it up for you!"

Christina Applegate played like one type of character for so much of her career and was on crappy sitcoms, then on her last one, Dead To Me, she displayed tremendous talent. Turns out she was awesome but, you know, most shows' writing is so one-note. Who knows, maybe in like 20 years Cuoco will wow us.

Anyway, we watched season 1 of Flight Attendant and had the same reaction you did so we just didn't bother with season 2. The one reference to it we still make sometimes is that when the opening theme song plays the closed-captioning says "frenetic jazz" and when I listen to jazz music my wife calls it that.

Never heard of Based on a True Story so might check it out. Description sounds similar to Murders in the Building, which also is about crime podcasters. So, yeah, this whole true crime trend is weird.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
House of Cards
The 1990 BBC miniseries, not the 2013 American version of the same name. Ian Richardson is absolutely fantastic as Francis Urquhart, and pretty much carries the whole thing. Urquhart is a fascinating creation, at once urbane and charming yet utterly cold and ruthless, justifying his actions with appeals to the need for practical common sense government while being the embodiment of upper-class conservative entitlement. The series uses the Shakespearian technique of having Urquhart address the audience directly, but in a very intimate and conversational way. We, the watching camera, are more privy to Urquhart's machinations than his unsuspecting foes, but he still presents a certain persona to us that only occasionally slips. It's also surprisingly funny, as the irony of characters placing their trust in Urquhart is often played for black comedy, and Richardson's line delivery ensures that his false displays of humility carry the maximum amount of irony possible.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Discovering, hypnotized, a bunch of old US tv series I had absolutely never heard about. Mostly awful comedies with canned laughter, but apparently popular and well known. The "F Troop" ? "McHale's Navy" ? There was a tv series with Borgnine as the main character ? With George Kennedy as a guest star ? Trying to sound french ?

It's like these things were released this year, completely new to me. I feel overwhelmed by the quantity of, uh, things existing. Or having existed. And the delicious naivety of it all. It's so proudly bad. Sometimes I feel the netflix age showers us with cheap series, but now I'm not even certain the production pace changed so much. Seriously, just on the western side, I feel like checking out the whole of that. I had only ever heard of two or three of them.

I've gone through a phase where I was fascinated by now-unknown or locally unknown ancient cheesy popular comics (European or American), but this...

I dread the day where I'll feel like that about music.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Never watched McHale's Navy myself, but it came up on youtube after watching similar things and my mother said she watched it while young...did not recommend, though.

I would recommend Combat! for old US tv shows. Not so much The Lieutenant or the 12 O'clock High series, watched some of that and wasn't as good.

The 1950s US Sherlock Holmes tv series filmed in France was also ok, though varied immensely in tone. Though, one of those things were it's not really Sherlock Holmes, and should have been called "Inspector Dave and his mate Barry" or something, as I like to say.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Never watched McHale's Navy myself, but it came up on youtube after watching similar things and my mother said she watched it while young...did not recommend, though.

I would recommend Combat! for old US tv shows. Not so much The Lieutenant or the 12 O'clock High series, watched some of that and wasn't as good.

The 1950s US Sherlock Holmes tv series filmed in France was also ok, though varied immensely in tone. Though, one of those things were it's not really Sherlock Holmes, and should have been called "Inspector Dave and his mate Barry" or something, as I like to say.
You know what one is oddly watchable? Peter Gunn. Something that most people probably only know because its theme song was used in parts of the Blues Brothers, or they're familiar with the early work of Henry Mancini. Its just this light and fluffy (for a certain value of the word) half an hour private detective show and you're guaranteed at least one fist fight, gun fight or car chase. Very easy watching.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
You know what one is oddly watchable? Peter Gunn. Something that most people probably only know because its theme song was used in parts of the Blues Brothers, or they're familiar with the early work of Henry Mancini. Its just this light and fluffy (for a certain value of the word) half an hour private detective show and you're guaranteed at least one fist fight, gun fight or car chase. Very easy watching.
I'll have to look into that, thanks for the reference.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Im gonna make a bold statement here and say the "Atom Eve" prequel movie/show on Amazon not only had better animation than the whole first season of Invincible, but possibly better writing.

Im not kidding theres a fight scene in this that is like Akira/GITS kinetic. It is jaw dropping. Season one must have done gangster because the animation just feels smoother here and holy fuck is this dark. Seriously, not for kids. Her back story is fucked up.

One thing that feels odd though is that powers seem cooler in this for some reason, shes must more potentially omnipotent than previously seen.

Id say more but I don't want to ruin it as Ive already read the comics, but I mean it. Do not skip this thinking its filler. It is insane 10/10

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
House of Cards
The 1990 BBC miniseries, not the 2013 American version of the same name. Ian Richardson is absolutely fantastic as Francis Urquhart, and pretty much carries the whole thing. Urquhart is a fascinating creation, at once urbane and charming yet utterly cold and ruthless, justifying his actions with appeals to the need for practical common sense government while being the embodiment of upper-class conservative entitlement. The series uses the Shakespearian technique of having Urquhart address the audience directly, but in a very intimate and conversational way. We, the watching camera, are more privy to Urquhart's machinations than his unsuspecting foes, but he still presents a certain persona to us that only occasionally slips. It's also surprisingly funny, as the irony of characters placing their trust in Urquhart is often played for black comedy, and Richardson's line delivery ensures that his false displays of humility carry the maximum amount of irony possible.
I'm not always the guy that's like "oh, the original is better" or "the original is better" but in this case... man, yeah. It's so freaking British and that sort of simmering eevvvillll is just so much better that way.