Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
If you got access, can you summarize a little. I could see it talking about review bombing before I gave up trying to get around the paywall

Eat Pray Love might not deserve one star, but it might not get to two
The actual report is much more "well-meaning criticism can become anti-expression if taken too far" than the article's "the left is coming for your books" culture-war nonsense.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The actual report is much more "well-meaning criticism can become anti-expression if taken too far" than the article's "the left is coming for your books" culture-war nonsense.
Well, that's why I asked, because that's what it seemed like from the little I saw but I wasn't willing to pay. This is far more balance than the initial proposal suggested

The only notes I wish to add are: That I will add is that trying to stop criticism is also anti-expression
Don't make a authors work/ franchisee part of your identity. You start doing weird things like defending the undefendable or jerk reacting to any criticism, legitimate or no
Good luck to Goodreads on weeding out 'legitimate reviews'. It's not really a real thing on the internet

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
So? That's guidance.

OK. But in reality they don't, and the isolation periods are different. And several of the symptoms are shared with the common cold, which doesn't require isolation at all in a lot of cases.

Hmmmm. Gathering data isn't the sole reason for testing, so this is irrelevant. Besides, this is something you seem to say about any proposed measure. If every measure isn't worth the money, you presumably just think the government shouldn't bother to invest in public health.

They didn't.
A large study released as a preprint paper last year showed that rapid tests were only 60 percent accurate on the first day of a person’s infection if they had symptoms. If the person was asymptomatic, the accuracy dropped to just 12 percent.

So why would you test if you don't have symptoms? Your ideal contact tracing/testing scenario where you're in contact with someone that tested positive and you test yourself right away to know whether or not you actually got covid (to then isolate without transmitting to more people) was never something possible back then nor right now. Thus, it's all a massive waste of resources.

The more and more covid has been around, the more and more it's become like the flu/head cold in length for all the different periods. Even when covid first came thru, the 10 day isolation period was too long, like no one was contagious for 10 days. It was just one of the many times, a number was just picked out of a hat and proclaimed the answer when no science was done. Again, how don't you yourself know when you're over a cold/flu/covid/etc? Covid is just an upper respiratory infection, not like cancer or something you'd need to get scanned for to know.

What's the point of testing? There's countries like Japan that didn't do it. I never got tested because like I explained with logic, there's no point to it. And by not getting tested, one of my insurances is literally cheaper than if I had had a confirmed case of covid, literally no joke. I also just said in the previous reply that antibody sample testing provided much more insight in the amount of covid infections and was far far far far far cheaper. Any measure makes sense if their benefit outweighs the cost.

They very much did, you're just gaslighting at this point trying to say health experts didn't recommend things that had no basis in science...

So you ARE arguing lockdown had no benefits at all, despite your prior denial that you weren't arguing that? Make your mind up.

Remdesivir was given an emergency authorisation in the USA in May 2020 based on preliminary clinical trial data (although the clinical trials were not fully published until months later). Under the circumstances, this was not unreasonable. Likewise, ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine and many other things were also used for treatment of covid, based on little more than rainbows and unicorns.

Er, you mean like him claiming no kids without pre-existing conditions died of covid, despite published reports of kids without pre-existing conditions dying of covid in both the medical / scientific literature and mainstream media?

I have already provided a source setting out the case in considerable detail. So did you not trouble yourself to read it, or do you have a memory that would flatter a goldfish?
Lockdowns had no overall benefit AKA the benefits came nowhere close to outweighing the costs. Also, where's there any proof that lockdowns were the thing that stopped the healthcare system from collapsing? Not every country did lockdowns and their systems didn't collapse. Why must you take everything so literal? It's like me saying the new Indiana Jones movie didn't make any money and you show me the box office of whatever millions it pulled in when my argument isn't that literally no one saw it and it literally made no money, it's that the budget was higher than it's box office returns. Who would actually argue that literally no one went to see the movie and it made no money?

Giving remdesivir emergency authorization at the time is no different than giving IVM emergency authorization based on the evidence of both drugs at the time. Yet one was demonized and nothing was said about the other drug being given out. You can't say it's OK to treat covid with remdesivir and horrible to treat covid with IVM (at that time with the evidence at that time). They're either both good or both bad.

He didn't see any report of a healthy kid dying from covid when he said that. Also, how is that so horrible of a thing to say anyway? There's no reason to have put any limitations on healthy kids. How did his messaging lead to unneeded deaths? You're giving me straight bullshit about Makary like him saying a healthy kid didn't die yet (so...?) or that his prediction on herd immunity was wrong (when literally everyone was wrong on that)? If this is all you got, then you got nothing and it's laughable that you think you he's some deplorable source. What's that you said in the BG3 thread about just not liking something because it doesn't align with your preconceived notions? You're the perfect example of that very thing right now.

This is so easy to re-find because it was on February 29th. What did Makary ever say that led to more deaths than Fauci telling people on February 29th, 2020 that people should go about their lives like normal? It was laughably bad at the time let alone in hindsight. Makary was saying in January we needed to do start doing stuff yet you have Fauci in basically March saying to carry on like normal. And you're saying to me Makary is deplorable and not a good source and Fauci ever was?

The amount that modern humans work is frankly stupid and inefficient, it exists because our society treats work as a measure of personal value
Helping society as a whole is stupid? Whether now or thousands of years ago in any culture or civilization, everyone having a job to do is helping everyone else. Whether in the past, people hunting for food, building shelter, upkeep/cleaning, cooking food, etc. vs people now driving a truck to deliver goods (whether necessities or luxury items), being a doctor treating people, community outreach/church, stocking shelves at Walmart, etc. It's not that someone isn't going to value you as a person if you don't work but you aren't doing your part basically. It's like at work, you have an employee or two that doesn't do as much and everyone else feels slighted because they either have to do more work to make up for that person or earning the same money yet working more. Or in a survival situation like the show Yellowjackets about soccer team of high school girls that crash lands in the wilderness and they have live off the land and when one of the girls isn't helping, the others get mad obviously.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
They renamed fatty liver disease because of the stigma of using the word "fat" I guess. And this was a 2-year process... 😂

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Also, where's there any proof that lockdowns were the thing that stopped the healthcare system from collapsing? Not every country did lockdowns and their systems didn't collapse. Why must you take everything so literal? It's like me saying the new Indiana Jones movie didn't make any money and you show me the box office of whatever millions it pulled in when my argument isn't that literally no one saw it and it literally made no money, it's that the budget was higher than it's box office returns. Who would actually argue that literally no one went to see the movie and it made no money?
Okay, let's address this, because you are so close to some sort of real insight here, let me see if I prod you over the line.

Every lockdown is different. Different circumstances, different policies, different areas, different length of time. What doesn't seem to quite click through your brain is that because no two lockdowns are the same, statements as bald as "lockdowns don't work" are prone to be ridiculous. It's a bit like saying "you can't stop a vehicle by throwing things at it". Well, depends on whether you're throwing a foam ball, brick or a grenade, and whether the vehicle a bike, family saloon or APC, etc.

So have a chew on these reasons you're beginning to think about, because when you do you should start to realise they undermine the very case you're trying to make in the first place.

Giving remdesivir emergency authorization at the time is no different than giving IVM emergency authorization based on the evidence of both drugs at the time.
<sigh> You don't understand the drug licensing laws.

Ivermectin has been through clinical trials and has recognised efficacy as a an antiparasitic. That then means, like many drugs, it can also be used "off-label" for conditions it has not been specifically trialled for. This use of "off-label" prescriptions is a very well-worn technique that provides benefits for millions of people annually when people can't be arsed spending hundreds of millions on a clinical trial when we all know perfectly well the drug works. Therefore, IVM did not require an emergency authorisation for covid: it was already available for physicians that wanted to use it irrespective of whether there was any halfway decent data to support it.

Remdesivir, however, at the start point of covid had not been approved through a clinical trials process for anything, therefore was illegal to use outside a registered clinical trial. Remdesivir, therefore, did require an emergency authorisation. Because these processes are generally rational ones to encourage responsible, evidence-based medical care, the authorities waited until they had data that suggested remdesivir's efficacy was at least reasonably plausible.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
They renamed fatty liver disease because of the stigma of using the word "fat" I guess. And this was a 2-year process... 😂
Thank you for spurting your grotesque ignorance over this forum (again).

Firstly, we might note the changed nomenclature was not just related to stigma, it's also that many professionals felt that given the increased understanding of this family of diseases, the old names were inaccurate or misleading.

Secondly, there are a shitload of considerations in changing the name of a disorder. They need to be designed carefully to be scientifically / medically accurate, and they need to weigh the risks of whether there is a benefit compared to costs such confusing patients (who will not be used to new terminology), etc. These decisions also generally have to be made by consensus of professionals and professional organisations, which means a great deal of consultations, discussion. Of course it takes a long time.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, why the fuck does anyone have a problem removing unncessary stigma from medical conditions? What is wrong with you?

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
A large study released as a preprint paper last year showed that rapid tests were only 60 percent accurate on the first day of a person’s infection if they had symptoms. If the person was asymptomatic, the accuracy dropped to just 12 percent.

So why would you test if you don't have symptoms? Your ideal contact tracing/testing scenario where you're in contact with someone that tested positive and you test yourself right away to know whether or not you actually got covid (to then isolate without transmitting to more people) was never something possible back then nor right now. Thus, it's all a massive waste of resources.
What you're saying is impossible was literally done. That's really all there is to say here.

The more and more covid has been around, the more and more it's become like the flu/head cold in length for all the different periods. Even when covid first came thru, the 10 day isolation period was too long, like no one was contagious for 10 days. It was just one of the many times, a number was just picked out of a hat and proclaimed the answer when no science was done. Again, how don't you yourself know when you're over a cold/flu/covid/etc? Covid is just an upper respiratory infection, not like cancer or something you'd need to get scanned for to know.
There's not a single reason I would take your amateur guidance over the recommendations of experts. Sorry.

They very much did, you're just gaslighting at this point trying to say health experts didn't recommend things that had no basis in science...
Do you recognise the difference between making policy recommendations and reporting what the scientific evidence shows?

Giving remdesivir emergency authorization at the time is no different than giving IVM emergency authorization based on the evidence of both drugs at the time. Yet one was demonized and nothing was said about the other drug being given out. You can't say it's OK to treat covid with remdesivir and horrible to treat covid with IVM (at that time with the evidence at that time). They're either both good or both bad.
The evidence base for both drugs was different. Thus they were treated differently by medical experts and authorities.

He didn't see any report of a healthy kid dying from covid when he said that. Also, how is that so horrible of a thing to say anyway? There's no reason to have put any limitations on healthy kids.
I don't really give a shit about all these explanations/excuses. You asked for something he was wrong about. He was wrong about that.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The more and more covid has been around, the more and more it's become like the flu/head cold in length for all the different periods. Even when covid first came thru, the 10 day isolation period was too long, like no one was contagious for 10 days. It was just one of the many times, a number was just picked out of a hat and proclaimed the answer when no science was done.
When you don't have good data, it's good policy to err on the side of caution. "We don't know a lot about this new virus, so quarantine until we're absolutely certain it's dead" was the correct play.
Again, how don't you yourself know when you're over a cold/flu/covid/etc? Covid is just an upper respiratory infection, not like cancer or something you'd need to get scanned for to know.
When I got covid in late January 2020, in Montana where we were certain Covid hadn't spread to, I stayed sick at home for 2 of my allotted 3 yearly sick days before "feeling better" and going back to work. The 4th day, when I actually felt better and realized my feeling better the previous day was a obviously false sense of recovery, it was already too late and I'd infected my roommate, several coworkers, and god knows how many customers.

The general public is not as perfect as you pretend you are.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
I think this is an unsafe assumption.

It's unsafe because our societies have in many ways remained quite static - there are rich, and there are poor, and elections are won by the middle deciding to side with the rich or the poor and generally balancing them out. When you're talking about a society with the economics turned upside down through mass unemployment due to automation, it's radically different and you may not be able to apply the logic of the here and now.
I believe it's quite safe. Remember that three years ago we had an election during a global public health crisis and civil unrest unparalleled since the '60s, and got Biden after a bought-and-paid-for election cycle in which political elites' machinations weren't just in the open and on a scale unprecedented since 1876, they were widely celebrated by bourgeois and petit bourgeois alike.

And I ain't talking about the one in November. I'm talking about the primaries.

Reactions: tstorm823

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Mexico is not a US ally, or at least a close one. They are neutral to the US. Ally my ass.

My comment refers to something at 6:50.

Edit: 9:25, let me translate to you what Mexican President AMLO stated. I would rather not lose face than kill the cartels who are destroying both Mexico and the US.

For reference invading Mexico isn't my solution, I also don't think drone strikes would help. This is my solution...

Meanwhile the woke media, and NGOs who either offer no solutions, or bad solutions in this case are like.

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Woke, anti-woke, woke, anti-woke ? Beh.

The Left has been demanding Biden, Fienstien and others to retire. RBG was asked many times to retire. I don't know why leaving someone in an important post until they literally die is seen as a good way to run things

The average age of the senate is 65. There are plenty in their 40s, meaning there are plenty in their 80s. The latter, from either party, do not speak for the US population

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
I find it very odd that I agree with The Guardian, but I think they're right on the money here.
Also, apparently there was a riot in response to the latest burning in Sweden.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
For reference invading Mexico isn't my solution, I also don't think drone strikes would help. This is my solution...

So, you want arbitrary mass arrest/detention without charge and the removal of the presumption of innocence from the people, and you're complaining that the media are reporting that the authorities have tortured and murdered people who were never found guilty.

In essence, you want despotism.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
So, you want arbitrary mass arrest/detention without charge and the removal of the presumption of innocence from the people, and you're complaining that the media are reporting that the authorities have tortured and murdered people who were never found guilty.

Robespierre called it the terror, from where we get the word terrorism, IIRC.

Reactions: Silvanus

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States

Incarcerare eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Reactions: Silvanus

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Incarcerare eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.
I'm not 100% sure medieval crusaders are the best model for the modern world, although one can certainly argue that they knocked that particular heresy on the head.