Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
If done in the pursuit of the greater good, murders went down more than the number of people killed by the police.
The murder rate dropped as a result of the state of emergency-- the military mobilisation and detention of suspects.

How, exactly, does the torture and murder of those already detained help?

I don’t sport gang/cartel tattoos, I also don’t rape and murder people.
You have no idea whether they have gang tattoos, and they weren't found guilty of anything-- or even charged in a lot of cases.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Some innocent people may die, but that is a sacrifice Gergar is willing to make.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
The murder rate dropped as a result of the state of emergency-- the military mobilisation and detention of suspects.

How, exactly, does the torture and murder of those already detained help?

You have no idea whether they have gang tattoos, and they weren't found guilty of anything-- or even charged in a lot of cases.
Okay torture for fear goes too far, I am mostly agreeing with the detention. If it lowers the crime rate in a place where murder, rape, and kidnapping were rampant then it is a good thing.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I don’t sport gang/cartel tattoos, I also don’t rape and murder people.
Does that matter?

Once you've given the police the power to kill or arrest whoever they want without any oversight, they no longer have to care whether you have gang affiliations or whether you've committed any crime. What are you going to do about it? Are you going to call the police?

Maybe the president just doesn't like you and would prefer you and your family didn't exist any more. What stops you from disappearing? Maybe some cop decides they want to rape you. What stops that from happening? And if by chance some cop or government official grows a spine and decides to stick up for you, what stops them from ending up at the bottom of a river?

What kind of person do you think joins the police, or the army, or runs on a political platform that the state should have the authority to execute people without trial? Are you willing to bet your continued existence on those people having a strong personal sense of morality and respect for freedom and human life?

Okay torture for fear goes too far, I am mostly agreeing with the detention.
Okay, but what stops the torture from happening?

If the answer is nothing, then it doesn't matter what you want. It doesn't matter where you think the line is. You forfeited your consent at the point you gave away the power to stop it.

There's an incredibly grim irony that the libertarian left is constantly faced with the accusation of being naive regarding human nature, but so often the same people making those accusations are willing to dance on the brink of fascism and just trust that the goodness of humanity will stop them from falling.

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I introduce to you the gay spikes of anti homeless tolerance.

I think they'd be an affront enough without the paint but to try to portay them in an inclusive light kinda gives the game away lol.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Imagine spending 7 years at architecture school studying the works of Lloyd Wright, Gehry, and Le Corbusier, landing your first job and you say 'What's the brief, boss?', and they say, 'Make life harder for homeless people. Like, really go to town on those guys.'
Yeah. Also it's not an extremely popular policy among progressives. But hey, imagine also being the sort of person who'd frame it as such, and also adds "woke paint" because "wokes am i right", and puts it on internet because that'll show them. Or the sort of person who sees it and spread around it because "yeah totally".

Seriously, the density of diarrhea contained in a conservative skull never ceases to amaze me.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Does that matter?

Once you've given the police the power to kill or arrest whoever they want without any oversight, they no longer have to care whether you have gang affiliations or whether you've committed any crime. What are you going to do about it? Are you going to call the police?

Maybe the president just doesn't like you and would prefer you and your family didn't exist any more. What stops you from disappearing? Maybe some cop decides they want to rape you. What stops that from happening? And if by chance some cop or government official grows a spine and decides to stick up for you, what stops them from ending up at the bottom of a river?

What kind of person do you think joins the police, or the army, or runs on a political platform that the state should have the authority to execute people without trial? Are you willing to bet your continued existence on those people having a strong personal sense of morality and respect for freedom and human life?

Okay, but what stops the torture from happening?

If the answer is nothing, then it doesn't matter what you want. It doesn't matter where you think the line is. You forfeited your consent at the point you gave away the power to stop it.

There's an incredibly grim irony that the libertarian left is constantly faced with the accusation of being naive regarding human nature, but so often the same people making those accusations are willing to dance on the brink of fascism and just trust that the goodness of humanity will stop them from falling.
You wait a few decades for reformers to transfer the country into a democracy or constitutional monarchy.

Also if you have trials, the witnesses, judges, and related police will get killed by said criminals. I would rather live in China than Mexico. Because in Mexico there is no way to get back at the gangs by yourself, whereas in China you can wait for a reformer to get into power like in Japan, SK, and Taiwan which were all military dictatorships. There is no activist solution to gangs and cartels.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Imagine spending 7 years at architecture school studying the works of Lloyd Wright, Gehry, and Le Corbusier, landing your first job and you say 'What's the brief, boss?', and they say, 'Make life harder for homeless people. Like, really go to town on those guys.'
They've had it too good for too long.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
You wait a few decades for reformers to transfer the country into a democracy or constitutional monarchy.

Also if you have trials, the witnesses, judges, and related police will get killed by said criminals. I would rather live in China than Mexico. Because in Mexico there is no way to get back at the gangs by yourself, whereas in China you can wait for a reformer to get into power like in Japan, SK, and Taiwan which were all military dictatorships. There is no activist solution to gangs and cartels.
Japan's reform was forced on them at the end of the bloodiest war in human history, mind.

And, ok, maybe some generations later your dictatorship turns into a democracy, but that's optimistic and taking the long view. Though, there might be some cases where that's the best that can be hoped for.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

I would rather vote in a jar of farts rather than Gavin Newsom. He literally let the real estate/land owners run roughshod over his state. Literally, if I were his opponent in the primaries I would state that this man will make your children homeless due to his incompetence at keeping housing values down by building more housing. There is almost no reason why LA should have houses cost that much. With SF, I kind of get it as it's land scarce, but LA shouldn't cost that much, let alone the whole state. He also canned high-speed rail in California by hiring China vs. Japan which has better technology, and would actually complete the job Plus he has an immature view on the profitability of high-speed rail when even Japan's HSR lost globs of money in its first year.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Except, that isn't really going to happen, because anyone with actual principles in such a system is either going to never find themselves in a position of power or, more likely, is going to win a free helicopter ride. What you will have instead is performative reform, where the military leaders who actually run things now give token concessions in a way that ultimately protects their position from any real democratic pressure. Even in the best case scenario, what you have is democracy with no culture of democracy, with a depoliticized, terrorized and cynical population who have been raised on generations of authoritarian propaganda and see democratic backsliding as normal. It takes a very, very long time and a lot of investment to fix something like that, assuming it ever gets fixed at all.

And the worst thing is, organized crime won't even be gone, because even if the regime did succeed in murdering all the gangs, rather than the more politically expedient method of cutting a deal with the gangs willing to politically support them and helping those gangs kill off their rivals in exchange for turning a blind eye to their activities, the absolute best outcome is still a power vacuum, and it's a power vacuum someone will fill, because your state-sponsored murder spree hasn't actually solved any of the underlying root problems that were driving organized crime. You have restricted the supply without reducing the demand, so really, all you've done is make organized crime more profitable for those willing to take the risk.

Again, organized crime being a problem in Latin America is nothing new. You have a bunch of countries that are well suited for growing coca and opium sharing a continent with one of the richest economies on the planet, with massive internal inequality driving a rampant addiction crisis and yet which also has a severe cultural and political aversion to any kind of harm prevention policy. The result has always been very predictable.

What's also very predictable is that War on Drugs 2 isn't going to turn out any different from War on Drugs 1. Something something definition of insanity.

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Look, we may not agree with their methods, but we can't argue with their results.
You know what's funny. The Israelites lived through a lot of occupations like Babylonians, Assyrians, Persians, Romans, Muslims. But it took the crusaders to finally almost wipe out all Jews from the Levant

All the Romans could do was genocide all the forest in Israel and desertified it

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Japan's reform was forced on them at the end of the bloodiest war in human history, mind.

And, ok, maybe some generations later your dictatorship turns into a democracy, but that's optimistic and taking the long view. Though, there might be some cases where that's the best that can be hoped for.
South Korea and Taiwan were some fucked tyrannical nightmares after the war and became much better once the US let them become democracy