Starfield - No Man's Bethesda

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The downside is that any publisher or developer that uses Unreal 5, has to split the profits with Epic and give them a small percentage for using their engine. Capcom gets 100% of the profit since everything is on their own engine. Even the new Ghosts And Goblins and Mega Man 11 ran on the RE engine. Capcom pretty much didn't want to deal with the Unreal Engine again after using Unreal 3 in the 360 era, and Unreal 4 for Street Fighter 5.
Boo-hoo they lose a little bit of the millions they make back from sales at the cost of making good games.

I suppose the lesson to be learnt there is, if you gonna make your own engine then it better be fucking good.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Boo-hoo they lose a little bit of the millions they make back from sales at the cost of making good games.

I suppose the lesson to be learnt there is, if you gonna make your own engine then it better be fucking good.
I'm not crying for the big boys, but I do feel bad for the smaller developers or Indies out there. If they use the Unreal 5, then that's a decent chunk taken out of them.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'm not crying for the big boys, but I do feel bad for the smaller developers or Indies out there. If they use the Unreal 5, then that's a decent chunk taken out of them.
You don't really have to feel bad for Indie's though, because they never cry about not making enough millions and millions off the game. I've only ever seen Indie's come out happy their game does so well (when they make a good game). They know what they sign up for when making a game off the Unreal Engine or whatever other problem they use to make the game. They don't have the ridiculous expectations or overhead so the fee doesn't impact them really.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You don't really have to feel bad for Indie's though, because they never cry about not making enough millions and millions off the game. I've only ever seen Indie's come out happy their game does so well (when they make a good game). They know what they sign up for when making a game off the Unreal Engine or whatever other problem they use to make the game. They don't have the ridiculous expectations or overhead so the fee doesn't impact them really.
I know all that, but I still feel kind of bad, because I do have a negative bias towards Epic. Epic knows they don't need to charge that much for the smaller studios or individual person, but they'll throw a bone every now and then. What I have noticed is that most indies go for the Unity Engine, because it's cheaper. Especially the studios making their games pixel art or 2.5D style.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I know all that, but I still feel kind of bad, because I do have a negative bias towards Epic. Epic knows They don't need to charge that much for the smaller studios or individual person, but they'll throw a bone every now and then. What I have noticed is that most indies go for the Unity Engine, because it's cheaper. Especially the studios making their games pixel art or 2.5D style.
No reason to use Unreal if you dont need it for your game. That is just smart game making.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I just checked the difficulty differences, and it's the most Bethesda thing you can imagine:

Difficulty LevelInflicted DMGReceived DMGLegendaries
Very EasyMaximumMinimumRare
EasyAbove-averageBelow-averageMinimum
NormalModerateModerateCommon
HardBelow-averageAbove-averageExtra
Very HardMinimumMaximumMaximum

I mean holy crap, how many times have we seen this? Granted Skryim and FO4 both did add survival mode, but modders always came up with better versions of them.
Of course. And not a single one of those difficulty modes involves the AI improving one iota. Like nearly all difficulty modes, they're just jacking up the damage the enemies can deal and take and sometimes lowering the damage the player can deal rather than making the AI smarter or even just giving them better guns or whatever. It's the reason why I hate difficult modes in general. The same tactics that worked on easy are going to work on Nightmare difficulty, it's just how much of a damage sponge they are and how easily they can kill you that changes.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Heck, Skyrim Anniversary Edition's survival mode was a mod that got included in their Creation Club.
What they really want is people to mod the get and make it good for them, so that they can sell us the mod on the Creation Club and profit off other people's work.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
They had "Get players to fix game - ??? - Profit!" on the whiteboard and never got around to filling in the second line.
In a way I feel like they'd have better projects if they focused on making worlds without any actual game there and just let people use these worlds as creation tools themselves.

Like remember that Sony game Dreams? Or even Little Big Planet to a lesser degree, where you could make full games within their toolset and engine. Bethesda can do that on a bigger scale, give us full worlds with NPC behaviors and put all the foundations of a game there, then let the minecraft types go to town on it. Actually nevermind they already do that.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Yeah normal companies learn eventually but not Bethesda, for some reason they've been able to just get by on janky, buggy, boring, messes of games and people eat it up like it's soooo cool.

Sad that they made the universe and it'll be up to modders and fans to make use of it.
It's because they're the only coke dealers in town, and it's usually pretty good coke, but unfortunately it's cut with laxatives.

You just need modders to wash it up into something that isn't going to make you shit yourself.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Funny bug time, sometime spaceship can land and unload enemy, since they all come cramped together its a great place for a grenade to kill them all, once they're all dead, the spaceship close its door and fly off, often with the corpse. Apparently once the ship is high enough it'll despawn (maybe after a minute), but the corpse don't, instead they fall back to the ground and if your really lucky it happen in front of you and the gravity of the planet is really low so that they bounce around like T-posing super ball.

Reactions: BrawlMan

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
A game dev (not related to Starfield), explains in her twitter thread why the NPC models looks so dead. Highly recommend reading the whole thing

It's actually quite fascinating, because she also brings up how the eye muscle movements can be seen in movies as well. She does mention how faces are hard to capture in games.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA

I mean holy crap, how many times have we seen this? Granted Skryim and FO4 both did add survival mode, but modders always came up with better versions of them.
From the very start Bethesda's open world games have amounted to "here's why you're here, here's the set pieces, now go nuts." Bethesda open world games have had little real story, the whole point has always been to have the players craft the story for themselves. Really, it was Minecraft before Minecraft was a thing.

This is why Bethesda games are so keen on supporting modding. It lets them get away with not providing much in the way of worthwhile content in their actual games. Plus it lets them release a half finished game that the modders will fix.

The reason people are noticing this these days is now that Bethesda paved the way for open world games there's plenty of games that are both mostly bug free and have worthwhile content of their own, plus still being fairly moddable.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
From the very start Bethesda's open world games have amounted to "here's why you're here, here's the set pieces, now go nuts." Bethesda open world games have had little real story, the whole point has always been to have the players craft the story for themselves. Really, it was Minecraft before Minecraft was a thing.

This is why Bethesda games are so keen on supporting modding. It lets them get away with not providing much in the way of worthwhile content in their actual games. Plus it lets them release a half finished game that the modders will fix.

The reason people are noticing this these days is now that Bethesda paved the way for open world games there's plenty of games that are both mostly bug free and have worthwhile content of their own, plus still being fairly moddable.
And they are pushing the mod support for SF until next year....wtf

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Even most "sim" space games will ignore stuff like the fact you'd never hit a ship a reasonable distance away without a super-computer to plot an instant intercept course for your ballistic projectiles, and the force of firing anything powerful enough to brute force through another ships hull would either spin you out of control at best, or just blow a hole in your ship because theres no planet worth of gravity and mass to brace it on.
Good thing then that space ships fire laser beams and photon torpedoes and not ballistic projectiles.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Good thing then that space ships fire laser beams and photon torpedoes and not ballistic projectiles.
Except Starfields don't lol. I mean, they have that stuff but you specifically use ballistics to pierce the hull once the obligatory stagger meter is done via laser (somehow). Nor does its tech level seem to be up to Trek with actual targeting computers and such.

Also the perennial problems with balllistics in space. Vacuum doesn't carry heat away, and anything you fire, will, by physics fire you back just as much. So to shoot something that can pierce a ships hull, you're eating a not-dissimilar backforce yourself, which even with bracing (and there's no planets worth of solid mass and gravity to lean on), is going to knock your course off completely with every shot while building up immense thermal stress on the weapon itself. All those weird-ass atmospheres a ship (or a person carrying a gun) goes in and out of are also going to be hell on the guns maintenance, at a minimum to stop it from corroding away.

And the baseline concern, of space being kind of lethal. Which carries over into the ground as well. If ballistics misfire or explode on you... you are open to the non-mercy of space. Trek and the like have magic healing pens and force fields and such to re-establish pressure for hull breaches. Starfields half-attempt at being "hard sci fi" doesn't get to that level of luxury. Prettymuch only the most crazed of people would carry that sort of risk around instead of using magnetic or electric weapons, or possibly even stuff like Prey's paste gun.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Also the perennial problems with balllistics in space. Vacuum doesn't carry heat away, and anything you fire, will, by physics fire you back just as much. So to shoot something that can pierce a ships hull, you're eating a not-dissimilar backforce yourself, which even with bracing (and there's no planets worth of solid mass and gravity to lean on), is going to knock your course off completely with every shot while building up immense thermal stress on the weapon itself. All those weird-ass atmospheres a ship (or a person carrying a gun) goes in and out of are also going to be hell on the guns maintenance, at a minimum to stop it from corroding away.
Dogfighting combat in space is pure space opera. The only realistic combat out there would be capital ships firing missiles at each other from light-seconds away.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Dogfighting combat in space is pure space opera. The only realistic combat out there would be capital ships firing missiles at each other from light-seconds away.
TBF, can we really call any form of space combat "realistic" in any medium? I mean aside from the debris flying around in zero gravity, space dogfights will probably be something none of us will be alive to see.

Reactions: NerfedFalcon