Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
60 members isn’t a party, it’s an expeditionary battalion :ROFLMAO:
Not sure if you've played Bahamut Lagoon (jp-only snes game that eventually got fantranslated) but this game seems to do a similar thing to it where your entire party is broken up into sub-parties that move around the grid like in FFT and then when you encounter an enemy group it transitions to a jrpg style combat system where it's more zoomed in and each char has a lot more detail than you find in Srpg animations. And if you have the typical Srpg limit of around 10-15 chars, but those are 10-15 4-char groups instead, I can see fitting all those chars in a single party. Of course that wouldn't be for most of the game cause I imagine you would have to jump through hoops to get every char, but, say, 30~ chars or so is feasible to have simultaneously.

And hey it's not as bad as Eiyuuden (which also got a release date finally, Aprli 23!), that one will have like 112 chars lol. I kinda lost track of how many addons we got, but I know it beat suikoden's 109 for sure.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Not sure if you've played Bahamut Lagoon (jp-only snes game that eventually got fantranslated) but this game seems to do a similar thing to it where your entire party is broken up into sub-parties that move around the grid like in FFT and then when you encounter an enemy group it transitions to a jrpg style combat system where it's more zoomed in and each char has a lot more detail than you find in Srpg animations. And if you have the typical Srpg limit of around 10-15 chars, but those are 10-15 4-char groups instead, I can see fitting all those chars in a single party. Of course that wouldn't be for most of the game cause I imagine you would have to jump through hoops to get every char, but, say, 30~ chars or so is feasible to have simultaneously.

And hey it's not as bad as Eiyuuden (which also got a release date finally, Aprli 23!), that one will have like 112 chars lol. I kinda lost track of how many addons we got, but I know it beat suikoden's 109 for sure.
It's using the ogre battle system, where every character as a set attack that they use when combat is initiated. Group seem to be made up of up to 4-5 member, so 60 would go to maybe 15 party.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Zechs

Jun 5, 2013
Srpg with 60 party members sounds absolutely nuts. And then add vanillaware tier sprite art to the mix. And it's coming out so soon too. I remember having to wait for like 3 years after 13 sentinels was first shown till I got to play it.
If I remember correctly the director said that writing 13 sentinels was the longest part of the dev time. So I think that this one will actually release on time.

Only thing that concerns me is the over world looking very mobile gamey, but other then that it looks really good. I was thinking to myself years back how hype it would be to get a fire emblem like game with vanillawares art style and I guess this is as close as I'm going to get.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Rami Ismail, famed indie developer and something of a famous spokesperson, has spoken up about the Unity situation:
Oh, that reminds me of World of Warcraft's unrested status. During early test versions, if a player spent too much time playing in one session, the character would get a fatigue status that reduced the amount of gained EXP; and it would only go away if the player stayed logged up for at least 8 hours.

Of course people hated it. I mean, it penalized people who were invested the most on spending time in the game playing. So they removed that mechanic...

...not!

It actually still exists; but the way it was presented was flipped, it became the "rested" bonus, and nobody was none the wiser.

Well, I doubt Unity can pull out that trick (making people think the fee per installation should be norm, and be happy with the free installation limit). WoW got away with it, because it happened in early testing versions, so the "rested" bonus was the norm since the release. Not to mention, WoW was a new game people played mostly for fun; Unity is an existing tool mainly used for business (the stakes are higher and the scrutiny more thorough).

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
If I remember correctly the director said that writing 13 sentinels was the longest part of the dev time. So I think that this one will actually release on time.

Only thing that concerns me is the over world looking very mobile gamey, but other then that it looks really good. I was thinking to myself years back how hype it would be to get a fire emblem like game with vanillawares art style and I guess this is as close as I'm going to get.
I don't see it as mobile-ish, I see it as cute and charming which is what vanillaware do and what mobile games try to mimic in such a lazy way that most of those games look like stock art. What we have here is the genuine article.

And yeah 13 sentinels was basically a visual novel for 80% of the game so it makes sense that writing it took the longest. I just think they announced the game wayyyy too fucking early. They didn't even say what systems it'd be on at first lol. It wasn't that 13 sentinels didn't release on time, since they didn't announce a date. They were like "we're making a new game, here's some gorgeous art" and then silence for 2+ years.

Last edited:

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Drop your unsuspecting loved ones, Ghostrunner 2 demo be available. Was trying out the Crew Motorsport beta free (time limited, you freeloaders!) trial whatever the fuck, having actual fun with it cause cars feel weightier, rumbles are good, looks and sounds nice, but of course it being an "always online" game meant it couldn't make it past my spotty internet connection, lol.

Not fond of their lean towards AAA pre-order culture though. Does not bode well for this series' future trajectory. Clicking on their main site enthusiastically unrolls the kinda extravagant pre-order menu options I'd hoped were beneath them.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Welp...

Edit: No idea why my URL unfurl code won't work when the code for everyone else' looks the same, bleh.

Double edit: Suddenly now it's fine???

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

All words. I'll believe it when I see it
The problem is that no developer with any other choice is ever going to trust Unity for anything ever again. Yeah you roll back your dumbass policy changes now, but the fact that your tried it will forever kill any further interest in making games with your engine. You fucked yourselves for greedy reasons and people will remember that because the developers that need a cheap good engine the most are the ones that cant afford to pay for your greedy bullshit.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
The problem is that no developer with any other choice is ever going to trust Unity for anything ever again. Yeah you roll back your dumbass policy changes now, but the fact that your tried it will forever kill any further interest in making games with your engine. You fucked yourselves for greedy reasons and people will remember that because the developers that need a cheap good engine the most are the ones that cant afford to pay for your greedy bullshit.
Deleted my post because someone already posted a news article about it.

Anyways, I think maybe the entirety of Unity wasn't on-board with the idea in the first place, and everything came out of the CEO guys' insanity. Why would they backtrack this quickly otherwise? The dude tried to push ridiculous policy when he was at EA, and it went nowhere. EA did well-enough for a few years after he left.

If Unity does the smart thing and backtracks completely and vows to never try shit like this again, and even add better incentives to all the devs in the future (i.e. better pay cut to the devs), maybe they'll do fine.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Deleted my post because someone already posted a news article about it.

Anyways, I think maybe the entirety of Unity wasn't on-board with the idea in the first place, and everything came out of the CEO guys' insanity. Why would they backtrack this quickly otherwise? The dude tried to push ridiculous policy when he was at EA, and it went nowhere. EA did well-enough for a few years after he left.

If Unity does the smart thing and backtracks completely and vows to never try shit like this again, and even add better incentives to all the devs in the future (i.e. better pay cut to the devs), maybe they'll do fine.
It's easier for the people to avoid one optional thing. Nobody NEEDS EA to do their job or whatever, so the backtracking was okay because people will just buy the games that don't have the scumbag shit in it.

But Indie devs relied on Unity and these changes were retroactive so even your old game from three years ago was going to be subject to these fees. Which means yay they retracted this policy, but what about the next one that applies fees to games I made 5 years ago because I trust the engine at the time?

I think if Unity plans to get devs back on their side they must update their contract to protect any games from being subject to new policy changes in perpetuity going forward. And that's the minimum thing they should do.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Oh, no. People forget fast when it's convenient.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Random thought regarding Unity's policies:

Is it possible that the charge-per-install was not primarily due to Unity wanting to make more money from the the developers but because they wanted information of how many people actually are playing the titles? The industry is not transparent of how many people are buying their titles unless they're a hit, and we live in the information age so that information could be VERY valuable.

I could also a be a matter of "Oh, we want to implement a change people will be upset by; how do we do that with minimum backlash... I've got it! We implement even harsher changes and then walk back on them and keep the one we wanted to implement.", as the author of the eurogamer article speculated.

Incidentally: @Elvis Starburst have you tried just writing the link in the forum post? That worked for me, although the forum software converted it into an unfurl-link.