Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
What's your standard of proof, and are you even going to care?

Just wanna be up front before I source actual numbers. But with lockdowns and effective border control, the pandemic didn't happen here. Had maybe 5 weeks of lockdowns over the years, preventing any significant community spread, meaning 90% of the time our business remained open and our internal tourism thrived even receiving a minor bump.

But "show you just one example", right?

Reactions: Ag3ma and BrawlMan

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You get in this like mid-conversation from another user. This is where it all started with Agema saying Marty is an unreliable source, which is an asinine statement to make because he was more right than most of the experts like Fauci. My point was never that Marty was never wrong but that he wasn't more wrong than anyone else.
Then you probably shouldn't have asked for a single example of a time he was wrong.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Yeh gotta have some tequila to wash away the taste of all your WHINE.
So in other words: you. That checks out.

By the way, I don't drink alcohol much.

So far, you're not really sounding like you believe in freedom.
All he believes in is being a contrarian for the sake of it and following his pathetic masters' whims. Free willing to be a pawn, just to make actual good and decent people miserable or ignore the plights of actual victims suffering from abuse, harm, or death. A man choosing to be a slave for people who don't give a rat's ass about him.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
What's your standard of proof, and are you even going to care?

Just wanna be up front before I source actual numbers. But with lockdowns and effective border control, the pandemic didn't happen here. Had maybe 5 weeks of lockdowns over the years, preventing any significant community spread, meaning 90% of the time our business remained open and our internal tourism thrived even receiving a minor bump.

But "show you just one example", right?
A cost-benefit analysis showing the benefits outweighed the costs, the standard of how you show anything was the right choice. You act like I'm asking for a higher standard than anything else when I'm not. If someone says XYZ does something, they have to prove. The rest of us don't have the burden of proof to show it doesn't work, that's not how science works. Where is there literally any evidence showing lockdowns provided overall benefit? I haven't seen any yet.

Then you probably shouldn't have asked for a single example of a time he was wrong.
And where did I ask for a single example of when Marty was wrong?

Also, just listened to this the other day. @41:00 mark basically a doctor asks another doctor why he tested for covid and how that result helped his life in any way, and the doctor completely conceded the point that it's a pointless test. But you're still trying to hang onto covid testing being in any way important. Even Japan saw from the start testing was stupid and never did it (outside of like hospital settings).

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: Ag3ma and BrawlMan

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Ah, there's the gotcha, the cost benefit analysis around covid are all structured around estimating the cost of a human life. With the foundation being "Wouldn't it have been cheaper to let people die?"

My home is Western Australia, look it up yourself. We used hard lockdowns and kept covid community spread out.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Ah, there's the gotcha, the cost benefit analysis around covid are all structured around estimating the cost of a human life. With the foundation being "Wouldn't it have been cheaper to let people die?"

My home is Western Australia, look it up yourself. We used hard lockdowns and kept covid community spread out.
This is old news, he also used analyses that presupposed old people were less valuable than young people.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Here:

Also here:

And here:
So what significant/major thing was he wrong about that would classify him as an unreliable source? Anything you basically say he was wrong about, Fauci did worse. I don't why you guys attack people like Marty when you don't for people like Fauci?

There's cost-benefit analyses on actual life (not economics). None of them have said lockdowns resulted in more benefits than harms. When you do a cost-benefit analysis on a medical intervention (like drugs or vaccines or masks or lockdowns), they normally don't care about money, they care about if it improves life or not. If money mattered in say drug scenarios, then it would be impossible for some expensive drug to ever be recommended. We just care about if it works or not, same with lockdowns. Sweden had a lower excess death rate than Australia during the pandemic, how does excess deaths have anything to do with money in any way?

Reactions: tstorm823

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

hehehehhehehehehehe
So? We already talked about this in your Victoria's Secret thread. It wasn't a matter of if, but when. Besides, they're still losing sales either way. There's plenty of other companies that pick up the slack or online retailers catering to everyone and anyone as long as they got the cash.

Last edited:
Reactions: Satinavian

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
There's cost-benefit analyses on actual life (not economics).
No, I think you'll find they're economics. That's why the people who write nearly all of them are economists.

For instance, many of them are very explicitly assigning financial measures of value to make their determination, including numerous ones you have cited. Some are using "QALY", but the concept of QALY also comes out of the work of, and is still largely used by, economists. Just in case you don't believe this, head over to the Wikipedia page on QALY and check out the citations, looking at the author affiliations. Masses, and masses, of economists. Because it's a branch of economics.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
To be clear, Lightyear definitely isn't a dudebro movie. And as for not being the CGI film people wanted...yeah, probably true in a lot of ways. I do know that isn't the core reason for its failure (I actually liked Lightyear, gave it a 7/10), but it does mean that the Toy Story universe is pretty weird (Lightyear was released, then Buzz Lightyear of Star Command was released, which got toys, but the original film within the TS universe apparently never did?)
I think Lightyear is one of the better movie to come out of Pixar lately. No where near as bad as people said it was. Still only a 7/10

Also, I just pretend its a different franchise

I wouldn't have called them dumb. But I would say that the answers from a lot of no voters was 'I just don't know what it was about'..... so they're just not willing to put any thought into it

And I still do not understand why 'I don't know' means you vote no. That's nonsense

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

The economy where I live was doing really under lockdowns

The economy went down once the lockdowns were lifted

Letting COVID into the community was an economic disruption.

(This does not mean that all types of lockdowns are all good. And I really dislike how Albanese quashed a commission to see if our lockdowns could be better. Because I think there could be minor adjustments)

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Um, we don't accomodate it? I'm not sure what argument you're responding to, but it isn't mine. Unless you're conflating accomodating behaviour with trying to reason against such behaviour. E.g. if a dudebro starts harassing a gay couple, I'd certainly step in to intervene (providing the circumstances allowed for it), but it would be a waste of time to use a rational argument against an irrational position (and I've had my share of irrationality for tonight, thanks).

As for removing homosexuality from a dudebro movie...come on, that's way beyond any of our capabilities. Movie studios cut/add stuff all the time. Sad fact of the matter is that the "gay agenda" in Lightyear (a same-sex couple that appears for less than a minute) probably cost the film money (regardless of its other flaws), and while that's a sad inditement on society as a whole, fact of the matter is that movie studios are in it to make money. Hence why you're going to get far more opposite sex romances than same-sex ones, hence why I can understand why Disney might be reluctant to have same-sex relationships in their films (Lightyear, Strange World, etc.) because of the backlash from SQWs.

Is that morally right? God no. Is the caution financially sound? Regrettably, yes. And trying to reason with people who rail against this stuff for a living (Geeks and Gamers, the Quarter Pounder, etc.) isn't going to work, because their positions aren't based on reason, they're based on rage-bait and/or prejudice.
When you make a comment like in the second paragraph, you make it out like people are asking for all relationships should be same sex.

Eg. I'm not saying that every 'dudebro' movie needs homosexuals. But a few do. Removing all because the 'dudebros' get offended is just reinforcing this prejudice and promotes cancelling

But you do point out why I can only take my criticism of woke brands so far. Yes, they arent being truthful, they're just being progressive for the money etc.... But they are also trying to not be prejudiced and actually saving capitalism from becoming self-destructive by cutting out segments of the customer base. Like, these goals are unintended consequences of woke brands. The businesses to not care at all about fairness and equality. But its the best we can hope for

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Yeah, well, all those economists who disagree with lockdowns aren't going to be writing cost-benefit analyses of lockdowns where they suspect that the lockdowns were beneficial, are they?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Yeah, well, all those economists who disagree with lockdowns aren't going to be writing cost-benefit analyses of lockdowns where they suspect that the lockdowns were beneficial, are they?
I would not say that all lockdowns have a good ratio of cost-benefit analysis. And they aren't going to focus on the positive ones because they are Austrian school

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I would not say that all lockdowns have a good ratio of cost-benefit analysis. And they aren't going to focus on the positive ones because they are Austrian school
Who would say all lockdowns were beneficial in the long run? But equally, who would say all lockdowns were harmful in the long run?

Why do we need proof to pursue a course of action? If everything has to be based on proof, the end result is inevitably that we do nothing all the time.