Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

@kray97
1 day ago (edited)
If you live in the US, most of the states here (37) have laws which make boycotting Israel illegal. If you want a job with the state/local government, you have to sign a document stating you will not boycott Israel. If you refuse to sign, you can't work for them. If you later participate in a boycott, you can lose your job and also be prosecuted under the law in some states. So before you blanketly blame the USA, understand that its people (most of whom want a ceasefire) are being forced to go along with this by a government that supports Israel no matter what.

Had to look that one up too but yup -

There’s a difference between anti-Semitic and anti-Zionist -
Of course my home state has his bull crap law too. It's nice to see people fighting back against this though.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Wow, and people think Genocidal Organ is just a kooky technothriller. This is the kind of thing that marks the horrors of the modern day surveillance state in America where a genocide is wholly endorsed by the American Government

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Name one nation that began in a different way. Hell, you actively justify modern massacres toward the creation of states you would politically align with.
Do you believe that every country on earth keeps an internally displaced population in one or more concentration camps which they periodically invade and/or bomb? Do you believe that all such countries have a right to "defend themselves" from the populations they keep in those ghettos?

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Mealy mouthed reply. Do better.
Do you actually believe in justice? That people should have a fair an impartial hearing?

Because all I'm getting the sense of here is you've picked your enemy, they don't need a hearing or to be allowed an explanation, they can just be summarily judged and found wanting by your diktat. It's people with attitudes like that that end up presiding over a Terror or a Killing Fields, and consider it nothing but a job well done. And thus the shallowness of adherence to progressive ideals, because when "the mask comes off" as you put it, it's not really about justice, equity, duty of care, or respect, it's just vengefully punishing the unbeliever for their sins.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Do you actually believe in justice? That people should have a fair an impartial hearing?

Because all I'm getting the sense of here is you've picked your enemy, they don't need a hearing or to be allowed an explanation, they can just be summarily judged and found wanting by your diktat. It's people with attitudes like that that end up presiding over a Terror or a Killing Fields, and consider it nothing but a job well done. And thus the shallowness of adherence to progressive ideals, because when "the mask comes off" as you put it, it's not really about justice, equity, duty of care, or respect, it's just vengefully punishing the unbeliever for their sins.
Your defense for someone advocating genocide is that they're too stupid to realize they're advocating for genocide. He's had a month to recant that statement and hasn't, even when confronted directly on it. Considering you've pilloried Corbyn for making an actual truthful and just statement but will go to bat for a genocide enthusiast says all it needs about you and your faux concerns. Pro-tip, the killing fields is going on right now and your man Starmer loves it, go take your outrage somewhere else.

Reactions: Gyrobot

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
He's had a month to recant that statement and hasn't
He issued a clarification that he did not mean Israel had the right to cut off water and power a few days later.

Your defense for someone advocating genocide is that they're too stupid to realize they're advocating for genocide.
Funny you talk about mealy-mouthed, that's some tawdry bullshit.

but will go to bat for a genocide enthusiast
Kier Starmer said:
The levels of death and destruction over the past weeks has been intolerable. Far too many innocent Palestinians, including women and children, have been killed as part of military operations. There must be full accountability for all actions.
With winter coming and the people in Gaza being forced to live in an ever-smaller section of the strip, attempts to address the humanitarian catastrophe cannot regress, aid must be ramped up. The people of Gaza need aid, food, water, fuel, shelter, and medicine in huge volumes, to ensure hospitals function and lives are saved. We know the risk of disease is high and must be mitigated.

Those displaced in this conflict also need assurances of their right to return home and rebuild their lives. Gaza cannot be left as a refugee camp, there can be no reoccupation or reduction of its territory.
:unsure:

Reactions: Gyrobot

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
He issued a clarification that he did not mean Israel had the right to cut off water and power a few days later.

Funny you talk about mealy-mouthed, that's some tawdry bullshit.

:unsure:

It all falls a bit flat. I guess he wants to give the land back to the corpses.

As to him recanting, the closest I could find is the Labour party (not him directly) issuing a statement saying "no actually, he didn't say that, don't believe your lying ears". No it's really not impressive. He's just a genocide fan that you like.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Do you believe that every country on earth keeps an internally displaced population in one or more concentration camps which they periodically invade and/or bomb? Do you believe that all such countries have a right to "defend themselves" from the populations they keep in those ghettos?
I believe that every country on earth has at some point both been displaced and done the displacing, that borders are enforced, that police and militaries exist to limit the actions of both citizens and foreign nationals. I think the unique part about Palestine is that it was allowed to exist after being thoroughly conquered, where every other region in the world to ever be conquered (as well as the region we're discussing many times in history) gets annexed.

And I don't think you care about any place that gets conquered by America's enemies. I guarantee, if the US declared war on Israel, you'd defend any action they take.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
@kray97
1 day ago (edited)
If you live in the US, most of the states here (37) have laws which make boycotting Israel illegal. If you want a job with the state/local government, you have to sign a document stating you will not boycott Israel. If you refuse to sign, you can't work for them. If you later participate in a boycott, you can lose your job and also be prosecuted under the law in some states. So before you blanketly blame the USA, understand that its people (most of whom want a ceasefire) are being forced to go along with this by a government that supports Israel no matter what.

Had to look that one up too but yup -
A few years ago, people in Florida tried to ban Lorde from performing there, because she pulled out of a concert in Israel.

(Israelis also sued New Zealand teenagers for $18,000 for emotional damages after they wrote an open letter which prompted Lorde to pull out, though being in New Zealand, that didn't apply)

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I believe that every country on earth has at some point both been displaced and done the displacing, that borders are enforced, that police and militaries exist to limit the actions of both citizens and foreign nationals. I think the unique part about Palestine is that it was allowed to exist after being thoroughly conquered, where every other region in the world to ever be conquered (as well as the region we're discussing many times in history) gets annexed.
"Other countries acted similarly when they were established prior to Medieval times, so therefore its fine to act that way now".

What else is justified in the modern day by being common in the distant past? Absolute monarchy and the divine right of Kings?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I think Starmer, who I do not like, is less likely a Zionist and more likely terrified of not appearing sufficiently pro-Israel, given it was the stick used to beat Corbyn many times. Starmer does not strike me as a man who has opinions not birthed within focus groups.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
"Other countries acted similarly when they were established prior to Medieval times, so therefore its fine to act that way now".

What else is justified in the modern day by being common in the distant past? Absolute monarchy and the divine right of Kings?
To be fair, the Democrats supporting slavery about a century and a half ago is supposed to be relevant to modern politics, so...

Reactions: Silvanus

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Prior to Medieval times? Even most of Europe was still forming the nations that exist now within the last century or two. Israel is older that a fair number of countries globally, many of which include ongoing ethnic conflicts because the governments are not equally representative of all peoples ruled by them geographically. That's like every civil war on the planet right now.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Prior to Medieval times? Even most of Europe was still forming the nations that exist now within the last century or two. Israel is older that a fair number of countries globally, many of which include ongoing ethnic conflicts because the governments are not equally representative of all peoples ruled by them geographically. That's like every civil war on the planet right now.
You could also point out all the countries which are happy to support, or quietly ignore Israel's actions. Not showing themselves in a great light either.

But that's still the "But mommmm, everyone else was doing it" defense.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Starmer does not strike me as a man who has opinions not birthed within focus groups.
One could say that about the Labour Party generally. Or, for that matter, most major political parties as it's how politics is done these days.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
If you're going by nations in their present incarnations, rather than the countries as distinct polities, then your point about all of them starting through brutal conquest becomes even less tenable.