Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Men - 3/10

After seeing the Civil War trailer, I remembered I never saw Alex Garland's last movie Men. He is one of those directors/writers that I'll always give a chance to because he made multiple things that I've loved and think are amazing like Ex Machina and Devs (along with 28 Days Later but not quite at that amazing level). Much like I'll always give a Christopher Nolan movie a chance because of The Prestige, Momento, Inception even though I didn't like Interstellar or Tenet (haven't seen Oppenheimer yet). Anyway, Men fails as a movie in my book because the movie is all metaphor and symbolism without really being anything on its own. I always feel you should give me a good story and characters first and foremost and then put metaphors, commentary, symbolism, etc on top of that solid base/foundation. The Matrix for example has tons of other meanings you can get out of it, but it's still a great sci-fi movie on it's own without any of that. I feel like Cabin in the Woods would also be a fun, entertaining movie on its own for someone who's never seen a horror movie before; however, the deconstruction of the horror genre makes it that much more entertaining. Men, on the other hand, you really need to know the exact things it's referencing to get most of the enjoyment out of it (I did check out a Youtube video afterward), though I did understand the broadstrokes of the overall theme. The movie is beautifully shot, though it does end with some major body horror. I guess for those that really liked Annihilation from Garland, you may also like Men.

Reactions: gorfias

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Maestro

Bradley Cooper achieves his final form as a maker of Oscar bait by directing himself in yet another tortured genius role, this time with the advantage of being one from real life and with a character-defining LGBT angle.

He's a good director and gives a good performance. In an Oppenheimer-less year he'd probably get the coveted gold hunk (are Oscar statues actually made of gold?). Carey Mulligan too. What a promising young woman.

My problem with the movie is that it's a rather superficial read on Leonard Bernstein's life. He succeeds as composer/director early on (somebody gets sick or their flight is delayed, I forget), enjoys a meteoric rise unhindered by any personal demons or outward evils and that's about it. You catch snippets from his performances here and there. His achievements are mentioned in passing. But I never understood his brilliance, or why was he so important, or how Leonard Bernstein became THE Leonard Bernstein.

Not a problem that I had with Oppenheimer, and I know less about nuclear physics than I do about music.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
My Neighbor Totoro in theaters, 10/10

It's the GOAT. The greatest family film ever made, and just plain one of the greatest films of any kind. Adorable and sweet without being cutesy or forced. Breathtakingly beautiful without having any flashy visuals or scenes. Wonderfully touching without being melodramatic or schmaltzy. Full of wonder and innocence without feeling pandering. It tells a lot with so little, and retains a thorough sense of groundedness despite being firmly from the children's perspective. There's not a frame I'd change, not a note of the score I'd move, not a second of the runtime I'd take out. This is one film that unironically reinvigorates my faith in humanity. It is perfection itself.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Saltburn: WTF? / Great

Oliver, a socially awkward young man away from home attending Oxford University somehow befriends a fellow student, Felix, who's popular and comes from wealth. Come summer break, Felix invites Oliver to stay with him and his family at their home, the titular Saltburn. It soon becomes evident that Oliver has an unhealthy obsession with Felix, and the accommodations at Saltburn prove to be a bit much for Oliver.

Weird fucking movie. Amazon Prime bills it as a drama/comedy, but there is absolutely ZERO comedy in this film, so I think that must have been a mistake. It's very dark and austere and sad and uncomfortable. It's VERY British; 90% of the tale is told through uncomfortable stares and telling glances. That said, I can't say I didn't like it. It kept me engaged to the end. Will I watch it again? Absolutely not; once was more than enough. Can I recommend it? Dunno. Watch if you want to.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

It's the GOAT. The greatest family film ever made, and just plain one of the greatest films of any kind. Adorable and sweet without being cutesy or forced. Breathtakingly beautiful without having any flashy visuals or scenes. Wonderfully touching without being melodramatic or schmaltzy. Full of wonder and innocence without feeling pandering. It tells a lot with so little, and retains a thorough sense of groundedness despite being firmly from the children's perspective. There's not a frame I'd change, not a note of the score I'd move, not a second of the runtime I'd take out. This is one film that unironically reinvigorates my faith in humanity. It is perfection itself.
That's one I've never seen. I've always been kinda iffy on Miyazaki movies because I find most of them just nice and fine, and I haven't gone through and seen them all. Kiki's Delivery Service is my favorite of the ones I've seen.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Aquaman And The Lost Kingdom: I Dunno / Great

Aquaman 2.

Only made it about 30 minutes in before my gf got sick and we had to leave, but given what I saw, I'm in no hurry to see the rest. It starts off really cheesy, going for quick laughs with pee jokes while dragging its feet through exposition. And that in and of itself is odd, because despite spinning its tires in "catch you up" exposition, they really rush through the "current developments" in an obvious attempt to get to the spectacle.

Might watch once it hits streaming, but won't be going to the theater for it again.

Bartholen

Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland

Aquaman 2.

Only made it about 30 minutes in before my gf got sick and we had to leave, but given what I saw, I'm in no hurry to see the rest. It starts off really cheesy, going for quick laughs with pee jokes while dragging its feet through exposition. And that in and of itself is odd, because despite spinning its tires in "catch you up" exposition, they really rush through the "current developments" in an obvious attempt to get to the spectacle.

Might watch once it hits streaming, but won't be going to the theater for it again.
I was a tad curious about it myself, because the first Aquaman was such a hit and James Wan was still directing. That interest evaporated the moment one critic I follow started their review by saying "The Flash was better".

Bartholen

Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
That's one I've never seen. I've always been kinda iffy on Miyazaki movies because I find most of them just nice and fine, and I haven't gone through and seen them all. Kiki's Delivery Service is my favorite of the ones I've seen.
If you enjoyed Kiki then I think you'd enjoy Totoro. It's very much in the vein of Kiki's Delivery Service in the sense that it's a very wholesome slice of life film, but with even less of a narrative. It's more like a series of episodes with a very loose structure and not much character development. It's more about the atmosphere and getting immersed in the girls' lives.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

Along with Kiki this movie functions the best under Miyazaki's 'flying by the seat of his pants' directing. Feeling like a collection of moments rather than having a plot.

Also, Totoro is like the anti-tension builder. Many scenes feel set up to build tension only to just let it waft away in a cozy, satisfying manner. You got Mei wandering off with the little Totoro's, with Satsuki trying to find her. And you're like 'oh no, is she lost?!', but then Satsuki just finds her sleeping in the bushes before the dread really has any time to set in. Similar with the scene where Satsuki and Mei are waiting for their dad at the bus stop and it's getting late, again giving the viewer just the slightest increase of tension till Totoro shows up to get rid of any lingering fear. Which all culminates with the final act where it actually let's some real dread take hold.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I saw Lost Kingdom.....

My God.....what an awesome and perfect ending to go out on!

I know this movie won't have the wow/impact factor of the first film, but that doesn't make LK any less good. Much is built off the first film, but Wan doesn't pull a Ghostbusters II, nor an Incredibles 2. You get further character development from Arthur with new and additional development from Orm as well when they tag team for the latter half of the movie. For those feeling guilty because Amber Heard is in it ,don't worry, she's out of commission for most of the movie; aside from the last 20 minutes. It's not enough to be distracting. There is character and story pathos here.

The best part is unlike The Marvels, you don't need to see nor know any of the prior films or TV shows, aside from the first Aquaman. Even then, Arthur brings everyone up to speed real quick. The sequels works great as a stand alone sequel and continuation of the previous film. Black Manta is great as a villain, and you don't need much to get or understand is motivation. He wants revenge, but he is being led by a manipulative and sinister power from the Deep Ones.

The action scenes are fabulous. Epic, shot wide, but remembers to be dynamic and creative. Fast paced, but not incomprehensible and flows well. Not too dark, nor going overboard with the brightness. This is an advantage most DECU films have over action in most MCU movies. Make me feel like I am seeing gods amongst men kicking ass. Feel the impact!

Rating LK, this movie is definitely one of the better and best sequels of the DCEU line up. I am giving it the S-Rank. You earned it Lost Kingdom!

Take a bow James Wan, James Gunn, Patty Jenkins, Zack Snyder, Jason Momoa, Gal Gaddot, Ben Affleck, Zack Levi, Asher Angel, Margot Robbie, Ray Fisher, and Henry Cavil. Thank you for a decade of wonderful entertainment. You all did your part and you all have a special place in my heart and love of superhero stories.

Last edited:

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Rebel Moon 1: Child of Fire (2023)

I think I can sum up my thoughts on Rebel Moon: Child of Fire in one sentence and it'd be enough for plenty of readers: "Zack Snyder did it again". I can even give you a second one if that doesn't tell you all you need to know: "My favourite original space opera since Jupiter Ascending". If you still want to see it, you'll probably like it.

This was me being glib. Here's me being earnest: Zack Snyder is in an awkward situation where he's by all means a cult director, however one whose characteristic style all but requires a high budget. In this day and age there's really only one place for someone like that, which is in creating exclusive productions for streaming providers. After Snyder unsuccessfully tried to pitch Rebel Moon to Disney as a Star Wars spinoff, who predictably weren't interested, he approached Netflix who agreed to adapt it as a standalone project. Under certain conditions, which I'll get into later, but let's start off with the movie itself.

Rebel Moon is about Kora, played by Sophia Boutella, fugitive ex soldier of a galactic dictatorship, hiding out in a small farming village. When the army is threatening the village and killing its chief, she sets out on a journey across the galaxy to recruit a group of warriors to protect it. It's the old Seven Samurai setup and it's relatively obvious how it would have fit into a Star Wars spinoff.

Part of what makes Snyder a divisive director is that he works in a realm of broad genre pastiche. Which itself is not a controversial thing to do. But where directors like Edgar Wright or Quentin Tarantino do so with a great degree of winking self awareness, Snyder's movies keep an unflinchingly straight face, even when they soar to the heights of absurdity of his fist standalone project Sucker Punch. Pushing them into a territory where they are, not unrightfully, perceived as clunky, self important kitsch.

The way Snyder relates to genre fiction is not by grounding it but by exaggerating it to a larger than life bluster that I don't begrudge anyone for finding obnoxious. You might very well take Rebel Moon. The core premise of the Galaxy's greatest warriors coming together to save a tiny peasant village is eye rollingly goofy if you take it as literal. Almost all of its plotting and world building makes it basically the "saying the quiet part out loud" version of Star Wars. The officers of the evil dictatorship are wearing almost literal SS uniforms and it's soldiers are literal buzz cut sporting, tank top wearing US-Marines. Briefly, the movie goes to a planet that seems to invoke modern China and portrays it as a dystopian, polluted cyberpunk hell. Meanwhile the village that is meant to be saved is a pastoral village of pagan farmers that wear flower crowns and practice free love like some wholesome version of the cult commune from Midsommar.

It's all broadly allegorical and moralistic in a way otherwise only Cameron's Avatar movies dare to be, there is a flashback in Rebel Moon where it crosses over into straight up fairy tale imagery. Much like the aforementioned Jupiter Ascending, I think there's a beauty in its earnestness and much like the aforementioned Jupiter Ascending, it's exactly that earnestness that will register as cloying, preachy and annoyingly guileless to many viewers.

Needless to say, Snyder brings his trademark low saturation, high contrast visual style to Rebel Moon and his particle effect and slow motion saturated kinetics to the action, adding to the pulp scifi fantasticism of it all. Having taken the DoP position again, it is a definite evolution of his skills as a visual director. In many ways Rebel Moon is his strongest directorial effort so far, even if I feel that as a writer he's never gonna recapture that particular cinematic alchemy he managed to conjure with co-writers Chris Terrio and David Goyer that gave Batman v Superman its weirdly poignant political relevance, and that's been mostly absent in all of his later movies. including its direct sequel Justice League, unfortunately.

My main issue with RM is something I've been alluding to a few paragraphs ago. The way Netflix chose to distribute the project is, frankly, some real bullshit. The decision to split it into two parts is defensible, considering they're supposed to release only about four months apart, but here's the funny part: the version of Rebel Moon Part 1 that was released, and that I've been talking about is technically a family friendly version that's been cut by 45 minutes to an hour compared to the R-Rated extended version that's supposed to be released at some undisclosed point in time after Part 2, which in turn will also have an R-Rated extended version released at some point even later than that.

So, in case I just lost you: They split one movie into two parts with respectively two different cuts (that are supposed to differ in runtime to up to an hour of additional footage) they're planning to release at four different dates. And make no mistake, it is fairly noticeable that some action setpieces were cut completely from the currently released version of Part 1. And it makes me wonder, you know, just what has film making come to?

Rebel Moon is not alone in this, mind, even for something like Ridley Scott's Napoleon a two hours longer Extended Cut has been announced for streaming before the movie itself even hit cinemas. Straight up, this sort of thing is the reason I've given up on paying for film and television and started to maintain a perhaps not quite lawfully acquired collection of movies. There is, of course, an argument to be made that it's better for auteurist passion projects that wouldn't easily find funding otherwise to be released like this, rather than not at all. But honestly, that's cope. Movies shouldn't be a carrot on a stick used to string along subscribers for over a year till the story is complete. That's what television series are for.

It's a shame I have to dedicate so much space to how a movie I like is dragged down by its distribution method. Let me end on a more joyful note: between Rebel Moon, The Creator, the beginning of the live action One Piece adaptation and in a way even Dungeons and Dragons: Honour Among Thieves, it's been a fairly good year for new and new...ish fantasy and science-fiction productions that aren't preestablished film and television tentpoles. Regardless of how you might feel about them individually. It's too early to declare a paradigm shift away from the long running series (MCU, DCEU, Fast and Furious and Mission Impossible all seem to have seen a bit of decline in popularity) in favour of newer endeavours, but the fact that these endeavours exist at all is one that makes me happy. Rebel Moon is definitely one of the years winners for me, probably not gonna change the mind of anyone who didn't care for Snyder's previous movies, though.

NOW PRODUCE A STANDALONE VERSION OF RIAN JOHNSON'S STAR WARS TRILOGY YOU BLOODY COWARDS!

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Rebel Moon 1: Child of Fire (2023)

I think I can sum up my thoughts on Rebel Moon: Child of Fire in one sentence and it'd be enough for plenty of readers: "Zack Snyder did it again". I can even give you a second one if that doesn't tell you all you need to know: "My favourite original space opera since Jupiter Ascending". If you still want to see it, you'll probably like it.

This was me being glib. Here's me being earnest: Zack Snyder is in an awkward situation where he's by all means a cult director, however one whose characteristic style all but requires a high budget. In this day and age there's really only one place for someone like that, which is in creating exclusive productions for streaming providers. After Snyder unsuccessfully tried to pitch Rebel Moon to Disney as a Star Wars spinoff, who predictably weren't interested, he approached Netflix who agreed to adapt it as a standalone project. Under certain conditions, which I'll get into later, but let's start off with the movie itself.

Rebel Moon is about Kora, played by Sophia Boutella, fugitive ex soldier of a galactic dictatorship, hiding out in a small farming village. When the army is threatening the village and killing its chief, she sets out on a journey across the galaxy to recruit a group of warriors to protect it. It's the old Seven Samurai setup and it's relatively obvious how it would have fit into a Star Wars spinoff.

Part of what makes Snyder a divisive director is that he works in a realm of broad genre pastiche. Which itself is not a controversial thing to do. But where directors like Edgar Wright or Quentin Tarantino' do so with a great degree of winking self awareness, Snyder's movies keep an unflinchingly straight face, even when they soar to the heights of absurdity of his fist standalone project Sucker Punch. Pushing them into a territory where they are, not unrightfully, perceived as clunky, self important kitsch.

The way Snyder relates to genre fiction is not by grounding it but by exaggerating it to a larger than life bluster that I don't begrudge anyone for finding obnoxious. You might very well take Rebel Moon. The core premise of the Galaxy's greatest warriors coming together to save a tiny peasant village is eye rollingly goofy if you take it as literal. Almost all of its plotting and world building makes it basically the "saying the quiet part out loud" version of Star Wars. The officers of the evil dictatorship are wearing almost literal SS uniforms and it's soldiers are literal buzz cut sporting, tank top wearing US-Marines.Briefly, the movie goes to a planet that seems to invoke modern China and portrays it as a dystopian, polluted cyberpunk hell. Meanwhile the village that is meant to be saved is a pastoral village of pagan farmers that wear flower crowns and practice free love like some wholesome version of the cult commune from Midsommar.

It's all broadly allegorical and moralistic in a way otherwise only Cameron's Avatar movies dare to be, there is a flashback in Rebel Moon where it crosses over into straight up fairy tale imagery. Much like the aforementioned Jupiter Ascending I think there's a beauty in its earnestness and much like the aforementioned Jupiter Ascending it's exactly that earnestness that will register as cloying, preachy and unoriginal to most viewers.

Needless to say, Snyder brings his trademark low saturation, high contrast visual style to Rebel Moon and his particle effect and slow motion saturated kinetics to the action, adding to the pulp scifi fantasticism of it all. Having taken the DoP position again, it is a definite evolution of his skills as a visual director. In many ways Rebel Moon is his strongest directorial effort so far, even if I feel that as a writer he's never gonna recapture that particular cinematic alchemy he managed to conjure with co-writers Chris Terrio and David Goyer that gave Batman v Superman its weirdly poignant political relevance, and that's been mostly absent in all of his later movies. including its direct sequel Justice League, for that matter.

My main issue with RM is something I've been alluding to a few paragraphs ago. The way Netflix chose to distribute the project is, frankly, some absolute bullshit. The decision to split it into two parts is defensible, considering they're supposed to release only about four months apart, but here's the funny part: the version of Rebel Moon Part 1 that was released, and that I've been talking about is technically a family friendly version that's been cut by 45 minutes to an hour compared to the R-Rated extended version that's supposed to be released at some undisclosed point in time after Part 2, which in turn will also have an R-Rated extended version released at some point even later than that.

So, in case I just lost you: They split one movie into two parts with respectively two different cuts (that are supposed to differ in runtime to up to an hour of additional footage) they're planning to release at four different dates. And make no mistake, it is fairly noticeable that some action setpieces were cut completely from the currently released version of Part 1. And it makes me wonder, you know, just what has film making come to?

Rebel Moon is not alone in this, mind, even for something like Ridley Scott's Napoleon a two hours longer Extended Cut has been announced for streaming before the movie itself even hit cinemas. Straight up, this sort of thing is the reason I've given up on paying for film and television and started to maintain a perhaps not quite lawfully acquired collection of movies. There is, of course, an argument to be made that it's better for auteurist passion projects that wouldn't easily find funding otherwise to be released like this, rather than not at all. But honestly, that's cope. Movies shouldn't be a carrot on a stick used to string along subscribers for over a year till the story is complete. That's what television series are for.

It's a shame I have to dedicate so much space to how a movie I like is dragged down by its distribution method. Let me end on a more joyful note: between Rebel Moon, The Creator, the beginning of the live action One Piece adaptation and in a way even Dungeons and Dragons: Honour Among Thieves, it's been a fairly good year for new and new...ish fantasy and science-fiction productions that aren't preestablished film and television tentpoles. Regardless of how you might feel about them individually. It's too early to declare a paradigm shift away from the long running series (MCU, DCEU, Fast and Furious and Mission Impossible all seem to have seen a bit of decline in popularity) in favour of newer endeavours, but the fact that these endeavours exist at all is one that makes me happy. Rebel Moon is definitely one of the years winners for me, probably not gonna change the mind of anyone who didn't care for Snyder's previous movies, though.

NOW PRODUCE A STANDALONE VERSION OF RIAN JOHNSON'S STAR WARS TRILOGY YOU BLOODY COWARDS!
Yeah, I'll just wait for the Extended Versions, if Netflix and Snyder are going to do carrot on a stick shit like this.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Rebel Moon

If you told me Snyder asked ChatGPT to write a script mashing-up Star Wars and Seven Samurai, then used the first draft to make this movie, I'd believe you.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You know, I've had a crush on Sofia Boutella since I first saw her in that Nike commercial all the way back in like 2005, but even she couldn't get me through the first 10 minutes of Rebel Moon before turning it off.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Aquaman 2.

Did the movie literally make her sick? Idk it sounds like a distinct possibility given your impression.

Reactions: Xprimentyl