Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Shin Ultraman (2022)

Middle part of the "Shin" trilogy, a series of movies reimagining a couple of Japanese genre classics, all written, produced and, except for this one, directed by Hideaki Anno.

Shin Godzilla, the first one, is already considered a bit of a classic. A dryly satirical take on the Kaju movie genre that asked "How many public servants does it take to defeat a rampaging monster?" while showing off Anno's most sophisticated foray into live action film making yet. Shin Ultraman is the attempt to reinvent superhero Ultraman the same way, but ends up with something a lot messier.

I'm gonna be honest here, I didn't really know who Ultraman was, beforehand. After seeing the movie I'm still not quite sure, but what I gathered is: He's basically Superman, except he turns into a giant. Shin Ultraman is the story of how a series of monster attacks is thwarted by giant, metal armored hero Ultraman, the product of a member of a highly advanced alien species merging with a human man who lives undercover as government agent Kaminaga. Kaminaga is faced with greater physical and moral challenges when other advanced extraterrestrials try to impose their will on humanity.

There is a decent bit to like about Shin Ultraman, mostly in the way it works as an homage to super dorky 60's (from a western perspective, we'd say "Silver Age") superhero cheese. Expensive CGI used to recreate cheap effects and costumes, cartoony soundtrack, funny poses, hell, there's a scene where the roles of hero and villain are emphasized by the hero wearing a white and the bad guy a black shirt. All of that is very fun. But so much more of it is weird and I imagine only makes sense if you're familiar with the Ultraman property.

Why is there a running gag about a character grasping her own thigh whenever she is determined to do something? Why does the movie have three different villains that feel like they could have quite easily been merged into one character? Why is the overarching plot so loose it seems to change in 20 minute intervals? And what exctly is Ultraman's relationship to humanity? Not philosophically, mind, the movie makes quite clear that he believes humanity should follow its own path without interference and that's what puts him at odds with the other aliens who either want to exterminate or control it. No, I mean just, like, emotionally.

You know how Zack Snyder's newer Superman movies dedicate a lot of time to everyone being convinced Superman is either gonna bring salvation or doom to mankind while Clark is just kinda like "Man, I'm so conflicted about how to use my powers responsibly, I just want to work as a reporter, take care of my mum and spend time with my girlfriend.". And I guess that's probably the main difference between Superman and at least this version of Ultraman, Superman thinks like a human being before anything else, where Ultraman is characterized primarily as a near omnipotent alien whose affection for mankind is that of an outsider looking in, despite his insistence that part of him is human.

Some of Shin Godzilla's political satire carries over, which is why there's a supporting cast of fussy government bureaucrats trying to make sense of what's going on (a task that's already hard enough for the viewer) and how to react to it. It's material that doesn't exactly lend itself to political commentary the way a disaster movie like Shin Godzilla does, which is why up until the end, a lot of that stuff comes off as a bit token. Hell, even Ultraman himself seems to feel that way, considering that despite technically working for a government agency in his civilian identity, he spends most of the movie away from them doing his own thing.

In short, I enjoy the style of it but I found the content messy and confusing. Probably a result of trying to cram in more of the source material than fits in a two hour movie. Perhaps that's fine for someone already familiar with it but as someone who has no history with Ultraman I felt mostly left out. It has got a hell of a unique style going and some of its left field plot devices were amusing but overall I got the impression I just wasn't in on the joke. Let's see if Shin Kamen Rider is more newcomer friendly.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Reactions: gorfias

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Did the movie literally make her sick? Idk it sounds like a distinct possibility given your impression.
I think it was something she ate prior to. That, and the egregiously protracted ads that weren't previews. Our showtime was 12:35pm; previews didn't start until damn near 1:00pm, and the film didn't start until 1:15pm.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I saw Lost Kingdom.....

My God.....what an awesome and perfect ending to go out on!

I know this movie won't have the wow/impact factor of the first film, but that doesn't make LK any less good. Much is built off the first film, but Wan doesn't pull a Ghostbusters II, nor an Incredibles 2. You get further character development from Arthur with new and additional development from Orm as well when they tag team for the latter half of the movie. For those feeling guilty because Amber Heard is in it don't worry, she's out of a commission for most of the movie, aside from the last 20 minutes. It's not enough to be distracting. There is character and story pathos here.

The best part is unlike The Marvels, you don't need to see nor know any of the prior films or TV shows, aside from the first Aquaman. Even then, Arthur brings everyone up to speed real quick. The sequels works great as a stand alone sequel and continuation of the previous film. Black Manta is great as a villain, and you don't need much to get or understand is motivation. He wants revenge, but he is being led by a manipulative and sinister power from the Deep Ones.

The action scenes are fabulous. Epic, shot wide, but remembers to be dynamic and creative. Fast paced, but not incomprehensible and flows well. Not too dark, nor going overboard with the brightness. This is an advantage most DECU films have over action in most MCU movies. Make me feel like I am seeing gods amongst men kicking ass. Feel the impact!

Rating LK, this movie is definitely one of the better and best sequels of the DCEU line up. I am give it the S-Rank. You earned Lost Kingdom!

Take a bow James Wan, James Gunn, Patty Jenkins, Zack Snyder, Jason Momoa, Gal Gaddot, Ben Affleck, Zack Levi, Asher Angel, Margot Robbie, Ray Fisher, and Henry Cavil. Thank you for a decade of wonderful entertainment. You all did your part and you all have a special place in my heart and love of superhero stories.
Guess I need to watch the rest given that glowing review.

Reactions: BrawlMan
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I think it was something she ate prior to. That, and the egregiously protracted ads that weren't previews. Our showtime was 12:35pm; previews didn't start until damn near 1:00pm, and the film didn't start until 1:15pm.
Is it a regular occurrence there? Hope you have other options nearby if so because that’s some bs.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Is it a regular occurrence there? Hope you have other options nearby if so because that’s some bs.
It's pretty typical. My gf is always in a rush to get there "on time," and the movie is always like 45 minutes after that.

What sucks is how commercials have dug themselves into the theater experience. There were commercials between previews! What's worse is that some of them repeated; I saw that godawful Verizon commercial THREE TIMES while trying to savor my popcorn for previews and the movie.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's pretty typical. My gf is always in a rush to get there "on time," and the movie is always like 45 minutes after that.

What sucks is how commercials have dug themselves into the theater experience. There were commercials between previews! What's worse is that some of them repeated; I saw that godawful Verizon commercial THREE TIMES while trying to savor my popcorn for previews and the movie.
What theater did you go to by any chance? Was it an AMC? Those are known for long ass commercial times, but even the ones in Michigan tone it down a lot now. I always go to the MJR. Way less commercials (3 small ones at most), and the previews will last about 5-8 minutes total.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Roadhouse. The silliest film from the 80s that I hadn't seen yet. Was filmed before choreography was invented by Dr Choreo in 1995.
And the hottest Sam Elliott has ever looked.

Also, a lot of trouble could've been averted if all the towns folk just shotgunned Wesley to death at the very start, since that was apparently a totally doable option.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
And the hottest Sam Elliott has ever looked.

Also, a lot of trouble could've been averted if all the towns folk just shotgunned Wesley to death at the very start, since that was apparently a totally doable option.
I know! Spent the whole film thinking they should just kill that smarmy guy! Jone done and everyone home in time for tea!

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
The Creator was doing so well. It wasn't particularly deep, but it looked great and the kid actor was excellent.

But the ending just completely lost me. I keep experiencing this, in both games and movies. I know it's a little silly to judge a whole piece of media by the last 10 minutes or last few levels, but recency bias I guess.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Rebel Moon

If you told me Snyder asked ChatGPT to write a script mashing-up Star Wars and Seven Samurai, then used the first draft to make this movie, I'd believe you.

I got about 5 minutes into Rebel Moon before the hammy dialog drove me away. I honestly thought outloud "Did ai write this?".

On a side note in the very opening of the movie sofia botella's plowhorse stops because of a rock and after it just stops and stands there she goes "whoooaa" and pulls on its reigns like it was still moving. It was like an snl skit intro and I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

I guess thats par for the course when you make an entire movie CGI.

The dialog leading up to the encounter with the (not empire) is soo awkward and weird like bad dubbing.

Ill come back and give the rated r version a shot.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Let's see if Shin Kamen Rider is more newcomer friendly.
Yes it is. Shin Kamen Rider is literally a remake of parts from the first series and its first season. The movie is much straight forward and has no bickering government stooges nor bureaucrats. I actually find it my favorite of the Shin Trilogy. Shin Godzilla I actually didn't like. The movie is better than Godzilla 2014, but I did not find the human drama that much better. Godzilla Minus One makes it even more pointless for me to watch it again. I have not seen Shin Ultraman yet though. I plan on doing so later. Thanks for the review too. I'll know that going in, whenever I get the chance to see it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Luna rebelde

I was done as soon as the baddies showed up in Hugo Boss nazi uniforms, but I'm a good sport to my nephew Zack (my wife's side of the family) so I finished his movie so I could be honest when I later looked him straight in the eye and told him what a piece of shit it was. Yes, I made my nephew cry. But I maintain that little twerp needs to acquaint himself with human emotions some more before trying to recreate them in front of an intangible reality such as the green screen he keeps hoisted in the basement. If nothing else, embarrassment will do for now. But apparently according to my wife's ***** sister I have to suffer through Round 2 next Christmas before "I get it", so hush my mouth.

Also, I'm willing to believe 7 samurai would make a difference in a battle against 30 something undisciplined bandits.

I do not believe for a second that 7 random mercs would make so much as a dent against an Evil Empire or whatever they're called here that's hundreds of thousands strong.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
The Killer, 6/10

This is David Fincher's latest Netflix joint, released with little fanfare. It's about an unnamed hitman, played by Michael Fassbender, whose job goes wrong, and he sets out on a revenge mission. It's deliberately very stripped down and minimalist, and frankly not always in a good way considering its 2-hour runtime.

I'm not overly familiar with every Fincher film, but I have to imagine this is something of an outlier in his catalogue. It's squarely focused on a single character, there's no scene where Fassbender isn't present. It's deliberately keeping the viewer in the dark about a lot of details, often cutting dialogue mid-sentence where you think something important is going to come up. There are like 3 or 4 named characters in the entire film, but that hardly matters.

I'm not entirely sure what Fincher was going for here. In a lot of ways it's a fairly standard thriller, but there's very little effective tension in it because there's basically zero emotional engagement. The beginning monologue would suggest another character study about a withdrawn, methodical and mysterious man in the vein of something like "Drive", but that's deliberately undercut by the main character being shown to be kind of a pretentious fuck-up. In some scenes it's darkly comedic by having the main character's methodical planning fucking up, and him just repeating his mantras to himself. In that way it almost seems like a parody or deconstruction of the trope of the cold, ruthless hitman who always gets the job done. But the film never feels like it's committing to any of these fully, and the end result feels confused. It's also way overlong at 2 hours, when 90-100 minutes would have sufficed perfectly fine.

I still enjoyed it overall. It's nice to see Fassbender acting again even if he's not doing anything special here, the production is immaculate as is expected of Fincher, and there are genuinely great moments and scenes to be found. But at 2 hours I'll probably never watch it again.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
What theater did you go to by any chance? Was it an AMC? Those are known for long ass commercial times, but even the ones in Michigan tone it down a lot now. I always go to the MJR. Way less commercials (3 small ones at most), and the previews will last about 5-8 minutes total.
It was Cinemark, the theater where you'll finish your snacks and drinks before the lights dim for the first preview if you're "stupid" enough to arrive on time.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It was Cinemark, the theater where you'll finish your snacks and drinks before the lights dim for the first preview if you're "stupid" enough to arrive on time.
Before my local AMC closed down, what we usually do is buy tickets early then come back later enough where most of previews already finished. We didn't do this every single time, but it was usually for morning and early afternoon showings. So we all got tired of it, because it got really ghetto over there, and the customer service got really bad in the mid 2010s. By the time the theater went under new management it was too little and too late. Then covid happened and the theater completely shutdowned. The other AMC's in Michigan are a lot better than the one that was in my neighborhood, and they seem to not do as many more commercials as they did before. Their preview count has gotten shorter, but I have no need to go to an AMC when there's already a MJR closer to where I live.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Candy Cane Lane: Good / Great

Eddie Murphy plays a father hell bent on winning a Christmas decoration contest in his neighborhood. What he doesn't know is that the winning decorations he's bought were from one of Santa's elves who has fallen from grace, and has tricked him into a pact that will find him relegated into becoming a living porcelain figure if he's unable to work out a riddle before Christmas Eve.

Look, I hate everything about Christmas. I'm Scrooge. I'm the Grinch. But this movie was fun. Really dumb, but fun. Nothing about it was exceptional, but I laughed a lot. I still wish Murphy would go back to adult comedy, but if this is what I get from him for now, it was worth my watch. The only holiday movies I can say I like are A Christmas Story, Scrooged, and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, but I happily add Candy Can Lane to that list now.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Yeesh. Our theater hasn’t gotten that bad yet (ads between previews wtf) but there have been an increasing number of them before previews. It used to be mostly local stuff supporting small businesses and such, but then the usual corporate bs like Pepsi and whatnot crept into the mix a few years ago.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Candy Cane Lane: Good / Great

Eddie Murphy plays a father hell bent on winning a Christmas decoration contest in his neighborhood. What he doesn't know is that the winning decorations he's bought were from one of Santa's elves who has fallen from grace, and has tricked him into a pact that will find him relegated into becoming a living porcelain figure if he's unable to work out a riddle before Christmas Eve.

Look, I hate everything about Christmas. I'm Scrooge. I'm the Grinch. But this movie was fun. Really dumb, but fun. Nothing about it was exceptional, but I laughed a lot. I still wish Murphy would go back to adult comedy, but if this is what I get from him for now, it was worth my watch. The only holiday movies I can say I like are A Christmas Story, Scrooged, and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, but I happily add Candy Can Lane to that list now.
So you didn’t like Bad Santa, or just never saw it?