If DeSantis wins

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not implying anything, I'm ignoring your strawmen. Your examples are dumb and you know it.

Identity is the ways people distinguish you from others. If you are responding to any concept other than that, you are wasting your time.
The examples directly speak to how external perception, on matters of identity, can be utterly wrong.

The only stupidity there is the stupidity they illustrate in the approach of considering external perception definitive of identity. If you take that approach, you run into stupid situations like that, where the approach proves clearly unworkable and foolish.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You guys don't seem to understand that not everyone finds your way the right way and you yell at people using pronouns any other way.
Still no. You can use pronouns however you want. But don't go applying them to other people in direct contradiction of their identity-- that's imposing your interpretation on others.

Really? You have no reason (not a single one you could possibly think of) to believe the use of pronouns should be tied to sex? What about the definitions of pronouns that all directly relate to sex (not gender)?
Bollocks. Language is a human construct, and for every definition you can fish up that ties it to sex, others will connect it to gender or both, or neither.

It's more than a few surface level cues. Do you not realize how much your brain takes in and processes at any given time that you don't realize? It's not just because someone has a certain haircut or style of clothes. There's a such thing as micro-expressions we pick up on that you don't consciously realize. Same thing with a bunch of other things biologically related to sex like say skin and how men's and women's skin is different that you don't actually focus on ever, but you do notice subconsciously. Even a freshly shaven man's skin on the face is just going to come off different than a woman's for example. There's a ton of things that go into that you don't even know that you pay attention to.
Absolutely none of these things you're listing are inherently connected to sex, and they're all changeable. Yes, you're still just focusing on superficial cues-- the most simplistic and reductionist approach one can have.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
The examples directly speak to how external perception, on matters of identity, can be utterly wrong.

The only stupidity there is the stupidity they illustrate in the approach of considering external perception definitive of identity. If you take that approach, you run into stupid situations like that, where the approach proves clearly unworkable and foolish.
Are either of your examples ways that people commonly distinguish between individuals? Do you have people frequently guessing what number your age is before associating you with others? Your age is part of your identity, people knowing your age may change the way you interact with others, people not knowing your age is not the same thing.

Also, in this sense, perception can't be "wrong". If there's not an objective answer, there's not any strictly right nor wrong way to perceive something. It's like literary interpretation: some interpretations are more or less compelling, but you can't call someone's subjective opinion wrong.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Are either of your examples ways that people commonly distinguish between individuals?
Age and orientation? Uhrm, yes, they both are.

Do you have people frequently guessing what number your age is before associating you with others? Your age is part of your identity, people knowing your age may change the way you interact with others, people not knowing your age is not the same thing.
Thank you for making my point for me. You're the one who wanted to consider that external perception definitive on matters of identity, not me, so perhaps you should ask yourself these questions.

Also, in this sense, perception can't be "wrong". If there's not an objective answer, there's not any strictly right nor wrong way to perceive something. It's like literary interpretation: some interpretations are more or less compelling, but you can't call someone's subjective opinion wrong.
Juuust like literary interpretation, ok.

Say someone sees you and assumes you're a Protestant. What's the case there:

1) they've made a mistake, and you actually know this aspect of your own identity better than the observer;
2) identity is solely external perception, so you're a Protestant;
3) no objective truth, all literary interpretation, so both are just as true!

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Still no. You can use pronouns however you want. But don't go applying them to other people in direct contradiction of their identity-- that's imposing your interpretation on others.

Bollocks. Language is a human construct, and for every definition you can fish up that ties it to sex, others will connect it to gender or both, or neither.

Absolutely none of these things you're listing are inherently connected to sex, and they're all changeable. Yes, you're still just focusing on superficial cues-- the most simplistic and reductionist approach one can have.
You're in essence saying you can do that but you can't actually do that, thus you can't use pronouns the way you want...

So you can say a rectangle is not a 4-sided shape with 4 right angles because language is a human construct? Gender is a human construct... sex is not. Again, you can see literally no reason why one would use sex for pronouns? Not a single reason?

You can't change every identifiable sexual physical trait. Pronouns are for simplicity's sake and sex is more simplistic than gender so why are you trying to make something that's simple more complicated?

Also, is the following lion a he or a she? Or maybe the lion is a they/them. Seems like a mystery we'll never get to the bottom of in your world.
1703611920441.png

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You're in essence saying you can do that but you can't actually do that, thus you can't use pronouns the way you want...
I find it quite easy to use my own interpretation of pronouns to myself, without imposing it on others.

So you can say a rectangle is not a 4-sided shape with 4 right angles because language is a human construct? Gender is a human construct... sex is not.
Sex is not. Pronouns are. Hence why other countries do just fine without gendered pronouns at all, or not connecting them inherently to sex.

You can't change every identifiable sexual physical trait.
Indeed. But you can change 1) all the ones used at birth to assign sex; and 2) all the appearance-based ones that you yourself use to assign pronouns.

Pronouns are for simplicity's sake and sex is more simplistic than gender so why are you trying to make something that's simple more complicated?
Your system-- in which someone who was born male, has a biologically male body, and identities as a male, can still be assigned "she/her"-- is the most arbitrary and complex by far.

Also, is the following lion a he or a she? Or maybe the lion is a they/them. )
View attachment 10380
The likelihood is that the lion is male. Though I find it quite funny you'd use this example, since Lionesses can also sometimes have manes-- so if anything this is a perfect illustration of my point, that surface-level characteristics are not sufficient.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I find it quite easy to use my own interpretation of pronouns to myself, without imposing it on others.

Sex is not. Pronouns are. Hence why other countries do just fine without gendered pronouns at all, or not connecting them inherently to sex.

Indeed. But you can change 1) all the ones used at birth to assign sex; and 2) all the appearance-based ones that you yourself use to assign pronouns.

Your system-- in which someone who was born male, has a biologically male body, and identities as a male, can still be assigned "she/her"-- is the most arbitrary and complex by far.

The likelihood is that the lion is male. Though I find it quite funny you'd use this example, since Lionesses can also sometimes have manes-- so if anything this is a perfect illustration of my point, that surface-level characteristics are not sufficient.
Same here, I have no problems using pronouns either. You can't impose sex onto someone because that's their sex. Also, should I ask an Asian person if it's OK calling them Asian or am I imposing a race onto them? So can you understand why someone calls a woman 'she' and understand they are at least as right as you are, and not force your pronoun interpretation onto them? Simple yes and no question.

Pronouns are as much a human construct as a rectangle is. We can change the definition of a rectangle if we want but currently it is defined specifically just like pronouns are defined as the sex you are. We can change that obviously, but that is what it is right now.

What is your hang up with sex at birth? Literally nobody uses sex at birth to decide what pronouns to use. You can't change all appearance traits that relate to sex.

Nope, pretty fucking simple, so simple you don't even think about it. People giving themselves their own pronouns is far more arbitrary than "my" system (literally what 90+% of society does). You guys will b!tch about the most minor attacks on democracy but when the vast majority don't want what you want, you insist on them how wrong they are and to get with the program, complete hypocrisy.

Manes aren't the only physical attributes related to sex, that lion is a he 100%.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
You're the one who wanted to consider that external perception definitive on matters of identity...
You still don't understand what identity is. You haven't even presented a conceptualization of identity. You just sort of act like it is whatever you say it is, but never say what it is.

Your identity isn't you. Your identity is the perception of you as distinct from others. That comes in part from your characteristics, and in part from the observer. The shadow of a tree is defined by both the sun and the tree. The sun moving does not change the shape of the tree, but it does define what direction and how far the projection of that tree stretches. Your "examples" are akin to saying "you think when the sun moves, the tree gets taller!?" when we were actually talking about the shape of the shadow.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Same here, I have no problems using pronouns either. You can't impose sex onto someone because that's their sex. Also, should I ask an Asian person if it's OK calling them Asian or am I imposing a race onto them?
Well, let me guess: are you basing it purely on surface-level characteristics and stereotypes? Because if so, you probably shouldn't assume, because you could well be wrong.

So can you understand why someone calls a woman 'she' and understand they are at least as right as you are, and not force your pronoun interpretation onto them? Simple yes and no question.
My interpretation doesn't force anything onto anyone, because it values their own knowledge of their own identity more than that of uninformed outsiders. Simple answer: no.

Pronouns are as much a human construct as a rectangle is. We can change the definition of a rectangle if we want but currently it is defined specifically just like pronouns are defined as the sex you are. We can change that obviously, but that is what it is right now.
This is just straightforward bollocks. We already have dozens and dozens of cultures without gendered pronouns. Rectangles exist regardless of human linguistic constructs. Pronouns do not.

What is your hang up with sex at birth? Literally nobody uses sex at birth to decide what pronouns to use. You can't change all appearance traits that relate to sex.
You're the one who's insistent that sex at birth is the same thing as biological sex, not me.

And you can change 1) all the traits that doctors use to assign sex at birth; and 2) all the traits that you use to assume pronouns.

Nope, pretty fucking simple, so simple you don't even think about it. People giving themselves their own pronouns is far more arbitrary than "my" system (literally what 90+% of society does).
Again, complete bollocks. Very few people will want to use "she" for someone who has the body of a man, was born a man, and identifies as a man. Yet that's what your inane system involves, since it's based solely on surface-level stereotypes.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You still don't understand what identity is. You haven't even presented a conceptualization of identity. You just sort of act like it is whatever you say it is, but never say what it is.
Neither have you, of course: you're just acting as if your unworkable surface-level interpretation is absolute and inarguable, and then insisting everyone else doesn't understand.

Your identity isn't you. Your identity is the perception of you as distinct from others. That comes in part from your characteristics, and in part from the observer. The shadow of a tree is defined by both the sun and the tree. The sun moving does not change the shape of the tree, but it does define what direction and how far the projection of that tree stretches.
Of course, this actually isn't the approach you've been taking, which solely values the observer's view and disregards the characteristics altogether.

Strangely you've put forward an analogy that suits my position a great deal better than yours. An approach that accounts for the actual characteristics of the object would see the shadow shifting due to vagaries of external factors (placement of the sun/ cultural stereotypes), and would acknowledge that the truth of the tree's shape rests with the tree itself, not those external factors affecting perception.

An approach like yours, focused solely on external perception, would see the shadow shifting due to the vagaries of external factors, and would conclude that tree's shape/identity has changed. Totally disregarding the characteristics innate to the tree-- only the perception matters, even if they've simply made a mistake.

Your position also remains a complete contradiction of your position given in older threads, that men and women need not act in accordance with stereotypes of their sex. Its clear to me that you never really believed that, anyway, and it was just a position of momentary convenience.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Well, let me guess: are you basing it purely on surface-level characteristics and stereotypes? Because if so, you probably shouldn't assume, because you could well be wrong.

My interpretation doesn't force anything onto anyone, because it values their own knowledge of their own identity more than that of uninformed outsiders. Simple answer: no.

This is just straightforward bollocks. We already have dozens and dozens of cultures without gendered pronouns. Rectangles exist regardless of human linguistic constructs. Pronouns do not.

You're the one who's insistent that sex at birth is the same thing as biological sex, not me.

And you can change 1) all the traits that doctors use to assign sex at birth; and 2) all the traits that you use to assume pronouns.

Again, complete bollocks. Very few people will want to use "she" for someone who has the body of a man, was born a man, and identifies as a man. Yet that's what your inane system involves, since it's based solely on surface-level stereotypes.
How are racial characteristics stereotypes? Would you say that Rachel Dolezal could actually be black?

The question wasn't pertaining to your interpretation. Also, you're back to not understanding others and forcing your views onto others.

Sex exists regardless of human linguistic constructs as well. And cultures can use pronouns based on sex or they can use pronouns not based on sex or they can not use pronouns at all. Why are you so against letting people use the first option?

Sex at birth is a method to determine biological sex. And, no you cannot.

Do you not understand what a stereotype is? Because I don't think you know what that word means, though you seem to not be someone that cares about definitions.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
How are racial characteristics stereotypes?
For starters, "race" is not an actual scientific or taxonomic classification. It's an informal grouping based on physical characteristics. And yes, many of them are stereotypes or simply not universal-- like the epicanthal fold, or a high melanin count. These things correlate with descent, but that's it-- they're not definitive of any meaningful scientific classification.

The question wasn't pertaining to your interpretation. Also, you're back to not understanding others and forcing your views onto others.
When you said 'at least as right as you are', you made a direct comparison with my approach. So it's relevant to point out that while you aim to impose your pronouns onto someone else, I do not-- I acknowledge that they know their own identity better than I do in this respect.

Sex exists regardless of human linguistic constructs as well. And cultures can use pronouns based on sex or they can use pronouns not based on sex or they can not use pronouns at all.
Sex does, yes, but you're talking about pronouns. Which are a human linguistic construct. When you say here that 'cultures can use pronouns based on whichever', you're directly contradicting your own earlier statement that pronouns by 'definition' refer to sex. Glad you've acknowledged now that they don't necessarily refer to sex.

Sex at birth is a method to determine biological sex.
Indeed-- just like you may weigh a baby at birth to determine its weight. Then the weight can be different when it's an adult.

And, no you cannot.
You literally inarguably can. Birth at sex is usually assigned based on genital morphology, which can be reconstructed and changed in surgery. And your approach is based solely on appearance, which is clearly changeable, since you can have feminine-presenting men and masculine-presenting women.

Do you not understand what a stereotype is? Because I don't think you know what that word means, though you seem to not be someone that cares about definitions.
Yes: Stereotypes are what you're using to determine which pronouns to apply to someone, regardless of their sex or gender.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
For starters, "race" is not an actual scientific or taxonomic classification. It's an informal grouping based on physical characteristics. And yes, many of them are stereotypes or simply not universal-- like the epicanthal fold, or a high melanin count. These things correlate with descent, but that's it-- they're not definitive of any meaningful scientific classification.

When you said 'at least as right as you are', you made a direct comparison with my approach. So it's relevant to point out that while you aim to impose your pronouns onto someone else, I do not-- I acknowledge that they know their own identity better than I do in this respect.

Sex does, yes, but you're talking about pronouns. Which are a human linguistic construct. When you say here that 'cultures can use pronouns based on whichever', you're directly contradicting your own earlier statement that pronouns by 'definition' refer to sex. Glad you've acknowledged now that they don't necessarily refer to sex.

Indeed-- just like you may weigh a baby at birth to determine its weight. Then the weight can be different when it's an adult.

You literally inarguably can. Birth at sex is usually assigned based on genital morphology, which can be reconstructed and changed in surgery. And your approach is based solely on appearance, which is clearly changeable, since you can have feminine-presenting men and masculine-presenting women.

Yes: Stereotypes are what you're using to determine which pronouns to apply to someone, regardless of their sex or gender.
Humans evolved based on where they lived, that's why Asians have narrow eyes and other races have dark skin (though I think technically light skin was the evolution).

Am I as right as you are with my interpretation of pronouns?

In OUR language/culture, pronouns are used and based on sex. Just like how Latinos laugh at the Latinx bullshit and people imposing their views onto their language/culture.

Not sex...

Some are stereotypes, some are not. Like I said a few posts back, the brain takes in so much information at a time and categorizes all without you really knowing. Some if it is a haircut or clothes and that would be stereotypes, some of it is sex based like noticing breasts or skin or hips. Saying it's all stereotypes is false.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Humans evolved based on where they lived, that's why Asians have narrow eyes and other races have dark skin (though I think technically light skin was the evolution).
This doesn't address the point. These characteristics are not definitive or absolute. So if you were to go around insisting that someone must be of a certain descent based on these superficial characteristics, you could well be wrong.

Am I as right as you are with my interpretation of pronouns?
No, I don't think so. You'd be just as right if you applied your interpretation to yourself. But as soon as you start making assumptions about other people, and imposing the appearance-based snap judgements on people you don't know, the likelihood that you're flat wrong increases.

In OUR language/culture, pronouns are used and based on sex.
In our culture, at the present time, it very much depends on the individual. But there's no objective truth to this linguistic construct. And even you've admitted you're not basing it on sex, but rather on appearance.

Not sex...
That's right. Pronouns. Did you forget we were talking about pronouns?

Some are stereotypes, some are not. Like I said a few posts back, the brain takes in so much information at a time and categorizes all without you really knowing. Some if it is a haircut or clothes and that would be stereotypes, some of it is sex based like noticing breasts or skin or hips. Saying it's all stereotypes is false.
Breasts and skin and hips (body morphology)-- so more changeable characteristics.

Absolutely none of these surface-level characteristics, on which you base your judgement, are immutable. Not a single one.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
This doesn't address the point. These characteristics are not definitive or absolute. So if you were to go around insisting that someone must be of a certain descent based on these superficial characteristics, you could well be wrong.

No, I don't think so. You'd be just as right if you applied your interpretation to yourself. But as soon as you start making assumptions about other people, and imposing the appearance-based snap judgements on people you don't know, the likelihood that you're flat wrong increases.

In our culture, at the present time, it very much depends on the individual. But there's no objective truth to this linguistic construct. And even you've admitted you're not basing it on sex, but rather on appearance.

That's right. Pronouns. Did you forget we were talking about pronouns?

Breasts and skin and hips (body morphology)-- so more changeable characteristics.

Absolutely none of these surface-level characteristics, on which you base your judgement, are immutable. Not a single one.
So you're saying two Asians may have a kid without narrow eyes? Or saying if I see someone with narrow eyes, they might not be Asian?

You're missing the point. Whatever method is more accurate isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about how society in general uses pronouns and I do the same as the vast vast vast majority of people do. You're trying to say we're all wrong when that's what we've agreed upon on how we use pronouns.

So the vast vast vast majority means nothing? Things become cultural based on the majority participating in said things. Yes, the individual can decide to invent their own language and use that if they want.

Pronouns are based on sex...

So you're saying that if you got people who don't know Caitlyn Jenner wouldn't be able to tell that they aren't looking at a 100% woman?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
So you're saying two Asians may have a kid without narrow eyes? Or saying if I see someone with narrow eyes, they might not be Asian?
So, what you're referring to is the "monolid" eye-shape, which gives the appearance of a narrower eye. Its usually theorised to be an adaptation people developed to lower exposure, particularly from cold. Its common in people of Asian descent-- but is also fairly often seen among native Northern Americans and Siberian groups. So yes, they may well not be Asian. Or they may have Asian descent down the line, but be American or British or whatever else.

You're missing the point. Whatever method is more accurate isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about how society in general uses pronouns and I do the same as the vast vast vast majority of people do. You're trying to say we're all wrong when that's what we've agreed upon on how we use pronouns.
But it's not. Most people would agree that if someone has a biologically male body and identifies as a male as well, then there's no good reason to be referring to them as she/her. Yet you're insisting that appearance is all there is to it.

So the vast vast vast majority means nothing? Things become cultural based on the majority participating in said things. Yes, the individual can decide to invent their own language and use that if they want.
You can claim you represent the majority all you like, but it's just bloviating.

Pronouns are based on sex...
To you. Not to me, not to others, and not to dozens of other cultures, both modern and historic.

So you're saying that if you got people who don't know Caitlyn Jenner wouldn't be able to tell that they aren't looking at a 100% woman?
Ahh, the old insulting prejudice comes out again.

The people who say you can 'always tell' what someone's biological sex is are, without exception, quite often wrong. You're no exception.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
that the truth of the tree's shape rests with the tree itself, not those external factors affecting perception.
Do you really not get this yet: you don't know what the concept of identity actually is. The shape of the tree is not the analogy for identity, the shadow is. Your identity isn't your self-image, it's not a list of your traits, it is the things that distinguish you from or associate you with others. Distinguishing and associating are things that happen based on projection and perception, identity is based in those things, it is not just "what exists".

It's like "gender expression" is not a question of who you are, it's explicitly expression, it is a communicative concept. That expression helps shape identity by influencing the perception of others that will then associate or distinguish you from other people and things.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
So, what you're referring to is the "monolid" eye-shape, which gives the appearance of a narrower eye. Its usually theorised to be an adaptation people developed to lower exposure, particularly from cold. Its common in people of Asian descent-- but is also fairly often seen among native Northern Americans and Siberian groups. So yes, they may well not be Asian. Or they may have Asian descent down the line, but be American or British or whatever else.

But it's not. Most people would agree that if someone has a biologically male body and identifies as a male as well, then there's no good reason to be referring to them as she/her. Yet you're insisting that appearance is all there is to it.

You can claim you represent the majority all you like, but it's just bloviating.

To you. Not to me, not to others, and not to dozens of other cultures, both modern and historic.

Ahh, the old insulting prejudice comes out again.

The people who say you can 'always tell' what someone's biological sex is are, without exception, quite often wrong. You're no exception.
Northern Americans are of Asian descent and Siberia is in Asia. Even among "white" races there are unique physical traits, not as super noticeable as the differences between like white or Asian or black obviously, but still there.

No, the vast majority of people don't give 2 shits about what you identify as. Nobody (besides a very very very very small and very disproportionately vocal minority) is gonna ask someone what their pronouns are. Like I said with the nickname comparison and tstorm with the tree, sun, shadow example; it's a 2-way street, you don't have sole ownership of how other people see you. Even someone's own name isn't something they actually identify as, it was given to them and you just get used to it as it's all you ever have known. Pronouns are even less identifying than a name and I'm supposed to care about that for everyone else when I don't even care about that for myself?

That is what the definition of every pronoun is, they are based on sex, that is literally the objective definition, I don't get why you are denying that. Why are you bringing up different cultures? I already said for OUR culture, this is true. It's also true for, I believe, all cultures that speak Spanish, they don't like Latinx (it's so cringe reading anything that refers to Latinos as Latinx), they in fact hate it but you guys keep pushing your own things onto their culture acting like you know better than them.

How is stating a fact insulting or prejudice? You can tell Caitlyn Jenner isn't 100% completely a woman because you can't completely change your sex and there's tons of physical traits related to sex. For example, one of them would be just the ratio of a man's wingspan is longer than a woman's of the same height, which also means a man's foot is bigger because your foot is the length of your wrist to your elbow. It's not like you're going Sherlock Holmes on it or breaking out tape measures and shit, you just subconsciously notice things like that.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
You don't control your identity.
We literally invent ourselves as part of the process of becoming a self-aware being.
I mean, yeah it is a collaboration with the rest of the world as we base ourselves on what we perceive reflected from the world around us, but it is ultimately a complete fabrication.

We're not special. Get over it.