CG's 2023 year in review.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
16's problem is that I think its perhaps the most "idiot-proof" game in the entire series.

I only died once in the entire playthrough. And the progression system isn't too hard to learn.

And yes its repetitive as fuck the side activities and are easy to finish them.

Basically this is the game Dragon Age 2 was trying to be. But at least its a better game then Dragon Age 2

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Fantastic:
Baldur's Gate 3 - This is how I will be judging all RPGs from now on, honestly. I don't care if devs say it was a "one in a million chance", and that we "shouldn't expect games like this to happen again. It is not possible." Sorry. I don't believe you. You absolutely can make games like this. You choose not to, whether by upper management or further down. After this year, I am done accepting mediocre from companies.
Armored Core VI - I am so happy that FROM brought this franchise back, and knocked it out of the park. Such a great game.
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty - Wow is all I need to say.

Most Disappointing:
Starfield - I only bought this game for the possibility for mods in the future, but I actually was astounded at how poorly Bethesda did with this game, and how much worse it is from its previous entries. It actually shocks me. The fact that Todd says this is the game that he has wanted to do for 25 years, and this is the result that came from that...I think that Todd needs to do some serious introspection. That he would look at this game and said "Yup. This is what I wanted. Ship it!" is just sad.

Expected Disappointment:
Diablo IV - I figured this would be bad, considering the company it was coming from, and they exceeded my expectations for how bad it was. Will it get better? Honestly, doubtful. Just look at Diablo III. Still just as bad of a game today.

EDIT:

One thing I wanted to add is that I have never been so disappointed AND so excited for the future for gaming in general. 99% of "mainstream" games and companies I could see fired off a cliff, never to see again. I have no faith that nearly any AAA companies have the capability of creating anything "good" anymore, and despite wanting sequels to beloved franchises, and new games with great new ideas, I would not want to see them from the current AAA landscape offerings. At this point, I would almost be happier if Bethesda and Blizzard were to close up shop, never to hear from them again. I mean, I want Elder Scrolls VI, but I honestly don't believe that Bethesda will be able to ship anything resembling something worth playing, and to hear Blizzard toying with a new Starcraft game honestly makes me shudder.

The excitement comes from the "non-AAA" side of things, FROMSoft, Larian, even CDPR (and yes, I don't consider those companies as AAA studios, and that is a good thing. I think it is more the company mindset more than anything). I am excited to hear Crate coming out with another expansion to Grim Dawn, that Path of Exile 2 looks fantastic (still not a fan of the monetization though), and that Titan Quest 2 might see the light of day.

At the end of the day, I aim to continue to support the companies I want to see continue, and I am just going to hope that the wider industry changes their tactics. Or else die off so we don't have to be disappointed in what they are trying to offer again.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Hi.
I'm playing Dave the Diver. I'm loving it. I wanted to say this as a reminder at how weird it is that we make our end of year lists and such before the end of the year. My post of my favorites was November 13 where I kind of had my #4 and 5 spots for games I enjoyed or found interesting but didn't LOVE and I would absolutely replace one of them with my boy Dave.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Huh... octopath traveller 2 kinda went by without causing much wave, surprised they'd try to hype that much.

If FF16 is considered JRPG, I feel like Zelda should be too (and should go above it).

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Starfields needs QOL mods, Star Wars Jedi Survivor keeps crashing, and Genshin Impact got France as a new region, Honkai Star Rail is okay if you like turn-based games.

Oh, and I keep getting one shot in War Thunder no matter what I play. Not playing Destiny 2, but I heard the DLC sucked.