3. Hellboy: Web of Wyrd
2. Forspoken
1. Gollum

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I really don't understand his reasoning for sticking Mortal Kombat 1 in the bottom 5. It's fine he doesn't like the story but there is nothing else about that game that's bad. The combat is great, the characters are fun to play, the voice acting is...well mostly okay. There are plenty of other bad, buggy, broken games that could have replaced that spot.

Hell even if he called MK1 bland and Jedi Suvivivy bad for being buggy and broken at launch on every platform would have made more sense.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I really don't understand his reasoning for sticking Mortal Kombat 1 in the bottom 5. It's fine he doesn't like the story but there is nothing else about that game that's bad. The combat is great, the characters are fun to play, the voice acting is...well mostly okay. There are plenty of other bad, buggy, broken games that could have replaced that spot.

Hell even if he called MK1 bland and Jedi Survivor ad for being buggy and broken at launch on every platform would have made more sense.
Yahtzee has a real stick up his ass when it comes to fighting games. Especially ones that reboot themselves every other sequel. MK1 has crappy and overpriced DLC, but it shouldn't be enough to get into the bottom 5. The game works and is fun to play. The only fighting game he liked in 2023, is SF6. Everything else is trash to him or not worth talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I'm gonna re-do my 2023 top 5 now that some time has passed, and it's going to be very "nyeh nyeh f*** AAA" just 'cause that's how I'm feeling at this particular moment. And because an important part of the video game experience to me is how it resonates in my head months later.

1. Cocoon
2. Jusante
3. Dredge
4. Hi-Fi Rush
5. Dave the Diver

This doesn't mean I didn't enjoy Jedi: Survivor or Marvel's Spiderman 2, I did, I just sort of immediately stopped caring about them when I was done while these other ones made me impressed as I kept thinking about them later and these are increasingly the kinds of games I want to play.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Yahtzee's Top 5

5. Dredge
4. Amnesia: The Bunker
3. Shadows of Doubt
2. The Talos Principle II
1. Hi-Fi Rush

Yahtzee's Bland 5

5. Jedi Survivor
4. Final Fantasy XVI
3. Hogwarts Legacy
2. Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora
1. Starfield

Yahtzee's Bottom 5

5. Redfall
4. Mortal Kombat 1
3. Hellboy: Web of Wyrd
2. Forspoken
1. Gollum
This Yahtzee fellow sounds interesting. Has the Escapist ever considered giving him a show?

Reactions: Zykon TheLich

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Huh... octopath traveller 2 kinda went by without causing much wave, surprised they'd try to hype that much.
Which is a shame since Octopath was easily among the best games of this year. It seems an unfortunate trend for 2D-3D squire Enix games. Triangle Strategy was by far the best game of 2022 but come election season and hardly anyone gave it the time of day.