Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
John Wick 4 was kind of a letdown. It was better than 3, but felt far too long and honestly there was maybe one scene that I thought was something worth a three hour runtime.

I mean, it didn't make me nauseous. That was nice.
I think one of the problems you run into with Martial arts and action films in general, is saturation. John Wick 4 had a lot of memorable moments. You know how many I remember? About 3, kinda of. It also never really "ramps up". Its john wick shooting people for 3 hours. It's not compelling. There's compelling "scenes", but for me, it was awash in pew pew pew duck swing pew pew duck swing pew pew and after while you could have touched my shoulder I woulda realized Im actually at a laundry mat watching clothes spin.

I'll be honest I went in and I'd forgotten why John Wick was still in trouble? He's shooting people in the desert and I'm didn't he already shoot these people? It's explained, but theres a lot of moments in the movie where I just lost track of both the immediate plot and what the overall plot of the movie was. John Wick 4 is one of those rare instances where I think it coulda been chopped down a lot.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I think one of the problems you run into with Martial arts and action films in general, is saturation. John Wick 4 had a lot of memorable moments. You know how many I remember? About 3, kinda of. It also never really "ramps up". Its john wick shooting people for 3 hours. It's not compelling. There's compelling "scenes", but for me, it was awash in pew pew pew duck swing pew pew duck swing pew pew and after while you could have touched my shoulder I woulda realized Im actually at a laundry mat watching clothes spin.

I'll be honest I went in and I'd forgotten why John Wick was still in trouble? He's shooting people in the desert and I'm didn't he already shoot these people? It's explained, but theres a lot of moments in the movie where I just lost track of both the immediate plot and what the overall plot of the movie was. John Wick 4 is one of those rare instances where I think it coulda been chopped down a lot.
Good action scenes, including martial arts scenes, tell a story. It has a motivation beyond 'fight/shoot guys'. This is why the John Wick franchise feels like such mashed potatoes, even the first one which at least had some motivation.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
My last review of 2023.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
The falling down the steps bit was ludicrous. Just silly.
I had heard about it before I watched the movie, so I was expecting it. Definitely felt like a joke that should have happened much earlier in the movie, not minutes before the dramatic conclusion.

Yeah I think the plot really lost me on this one. I don't understand what was motivating John anymore. He was fighting for his "freedom" but he was never under any obligation to the Table. They just wanted him dead. So I guess freedom means that they won't go after him anymore? Seems unlikely that they would stick to their word for long.

Also hot take maybe but... I really don't think this chapter offers much in terms action. I felt pretty underwhelmed the whole time.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I gave Rebel Moon a watch.

As far as Zack Snyder movies go...it's fine.

There's zero creativity in the movie, and Zack Snyder should never be allowed to write anything as his writing is about on par with your average generic young adult novel. It looks fine (if a bit too Zach Snyder brown), sounds good, and is not so overly long as to make me want to turn it off from exhaustion like Justice League is. I mostly enjoyed how good it sounded with my surround sound system. Shots from the movie are directly stolen from other movies, among them being Star Wars, The Matrix, Avatar, John Conner of Mars, Dune, Blade Runner, Gladiator, and I'm sure there's others I missed. Snyder kind of just takes a bunch of sci-fi tropes and throws them into a blender to see what sticks.

Basically it's Zack Snyder's Star Wars that he couldn't get the Star Wars license for, with a bit of Warhammer 40K and Seven Samurai thrown in there because reasons. It's the same thing Lucas did when he couldn't get the license for Flash Gordon, which in turn existed because the creators couldn't get the license for Buck Rogers, which exists because the creator couldn't license A Princess of Mars.

There's not much of a reason to watch this movie. There's nothing creative or interesting about it, but if you have time to kill you could do worse. It feels like Zack Snyder is trying really hard to make a movie that says "fascism bad" after all of the complaints about his other movies being "overtly pro-fascist." It's not even a good enough movie to try and dissect any themes though, nor do I think Zack Snyder knows what themes, subtext, or undertones are.
I'd heard from some it is good and under appreciated. From others, it is bad. I give it a meh.
One complaint is that there is virtually no story. That's IMHO, because it is setting the table. Expecting an audience to sit for 2.5 hours to set the table (introduction to this world and these characters) comes across as disjointed and a slog. I think back on Star Wars. We meet Luke, Ben, the Princess, the Droids all within 20 min. This could have been a lot leaner. 5.5/10

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
The falling down the steps bit was ludicrous. Just silly.
I thought everyone realized that was the point. To me it seemed pretty freaking obvious that John Wicks 2-4 are basically live-action Looney Tunes, and the humor specifically comes from the fact that everyone is playing it super straight and serious. I loved John Wick 4, and I wish someone did a fan cut adding Adam West Batman sound effects to it, because I think it could only enhance the experience. What I specifically love about the John Wick movies is how honest they are about their identity. They know you're there to watch pew pew bang bang, so they don't even try to make you think there's some great story or exploration of the human condition going on. That's why the focus on worldbuilding over story IMO works in their favor.

John Wick 4 had a lot of memorable moments. You know how many I remember? About 3, kinda of. It also never really "ramps up".
I've seen the movie only once when it came out, and I can definitely name more memorable moments than that: beginning in the desert, Donnie Yen's blind fight in the kitchen, John about to be hanged, the whole sequence with Scott Adkins playing a mix of Bob from Tekken and the Penguin, Bill Skarsgård's ricidulous villain, the Hotline Miami tribute, the fight in the roundabout... JW4 was just jam packed with great bits.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I thought everyone realized that was the point. To me it seemed pretty freaking obvious that John Wicks 2-4 are basically live-action Looney Tunes, and the humor specifically comes from the fact that everyone is playing it super straight and serious.
Unfortunately it just looked rubbish. It wasn't funny or not funny, it was just out of place.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Hypnotic

Ben Affleck stars in this plotholio thriller that’s part Inception, part Truman Show, with a trophy bit of *important child prodigy* being hunted by the power hungry sort. It’s one of the most predictable, frustrating movies in terms of character actions, but also with a fairly neat twist that helps alleviate some of that. Falls into the “entertaining nonsense” category, with a suitably short runtime which always helps in these cases.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I've seen the movie only once when it came out, and I can definitely name more memorable moments than that: beginning in the desert, Donnie Yen's blind fight in the kitchen, John about to be hanged, the whole sequence with Scott Adkins playing a mix of Bob from Tekken and the Penguin, Bill Skarsgård's ricidulous villain, the Hotline Miami tribute, the fight in the roundabout... JW4 was just jam packed with great bits.
I'm chalking this up to the difference between watching in theaters and watching on your couch at home (which is what I did). I had heard the roundabout fight was a standout, but it felt a little too obviously CGI. I wasn't exactly at the edge of my seat worried that John was going to be runover. Same goes for pretty much all of Donnie Yen's stuff and the desert bit.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

I like the John Wick movies, but each one gets a little worse, a little less technical, and a lot more silly.

The first movie is great, the character motivation is good, the assassin's guild is barely explained so you never really get a scope of it or how the internal structure works. It's set dressing not to be analyzed. The action is great. You can literally see Keanu Reeves counting bullets as he's shooting, and reloading appropriately.

Second movie adds the bullet proof suit, which is cool in theory but makes the gunfights less technical as Wick can now just stand in the open and take shots. This movie also explains too much about the assassin's guild, it makes no sense, and also apparently everyone in New York is somehow an assassin.

Third movie, makes the assassins even sillier, and the character motivations make less and less sense. At least there's cool knife fights.

Fourth movie. John Wick is bullet proof, and they aren't even trying to keep the gunfights grounded anymore. He just has an infinite ammo shotgun that never needs to be reloaded. Characters come and go with no explanation of who they are. Who is the guy with the lever rifle and dog? Why is he here? What does he want? The assassins guild is now at the height of silliness. The movie is just reusing action sequence ideas from the previous movies because they don't have a lot of new ideas. Dogs are back because John Wick 3. Nightclub fight is back because John Wick 2. The whole city is after John just like John Wick 2. Gunfight in the desert because John Wick 3. The fourth movie feels tired. It doesn't even have anything new to show.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

Both John Wick 3 and 4 should've been combined into a tight 2 hour at longest movie.

I like the John Wick movies, but each one gets a little worse, a little less technical, and a lot more silly.

The first movie is great, the character motivation is good, the assassin's guild is barely explained so you never really get a scope of it or how the internal structure works. It's set dressing not to be analyzed. The action is great. You can literally see Keanu Reeves counting bullets as he's shooting, and reloading appropriately.

Second movie adds the bullet proof suit, which is cool in theory but makes the gunfights less technical as Wick can now just stand in the open and take shots. This movie also explains too much about the assassin's guild, it makes no sense, and also apparently everyone in New York is somehow an assassin.

Third movie, makes the assassins even sillier, and the character motivations make less and less sense. At least there's cool knife fights.

Fourth movie. John Wick is bullet proof, and they aren't even trying to keep the gunfights grounded anymore. He just has an infinite ammo shotgun that never needs to be reloaded. Characters come and go with no explanation of who they are. Who is the guy with the lever rifle and dog? Why is he here? What does he want? The assassins guild is now at the height of silliness. The movie is just reusing action sequence ideas from the previous movies because they don't have a lot of new ideas. Dogs are back because John Wick 3. Nightclub fight is back because John Wick 2. The whole city is after John just like John Wick 2. Gunfight in the desert because John Wick 3. The fourth movie feels tired. It doesn't even have anything new to show.
Yeah, the 1st movie is fucking great. I do own all 4 of them because the action scenes are good and also didn't realize how bloated the plot was gonna get as well. It's why I'm now wait on movie "series" to be complete like say Dune or the latest Spiderman animated movie (the 1st is great and standalone) that I don't know how they'll end up. When I feel like watching John Wick, it'll probably be the first one and that's it. Maybe if friends wanna do a JW marathon or a friend that hasn't seen them, those would be probably the only times I go back and rewatch the sequels.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Not well versed in Kaiju lore, but apparently some of the designs were references to the old man-in-a-suit monsters of yesteryear.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Saltburn (2022) - Netflix

There was a lot of hype about this. Quick summary, Oxford student from a modest background becomes obsessed with an upper class fellow student and starts insinuating himself into this student's life, ending up invited to his family's eponymous estate. It's like Brideshead Revisited meets The Talented Mr. Ripley.

It's a surprisingly empty movie. Outside the actual plot, it appears to have no message - or at best, that the rich should be wary of plebs wanting to be their friend. In plot terms, even there it's quite superficial, with some elements that stretch credibility. You could enjoy a view of the vapid life of Brit upper classes, but if you wanted to do that you could just save a lot of time and watch an episode of the TV series Made In Chelsea instead. It seems tonally awkward or failed in places - some of the central character's actions seem like their designed to shock, and yet fail to generate much emotional impact in the viewer. This leads me to ask why they were included, or whether they were miscarried.

On the bright side, in the basics of being a film about people who do stuff, it's adequate. Direction and script have flaws (as above) but are generally okay, the acting's good, there are a few sharp observations and subtle humour, the pacing and cinematography are fine. So I really mean adequate. It's a sort of solid 3-star film, that does an adequate job without ever being at serious risk of making anyone think "Wow, this is one you can't miss". I think the excitement in some quarters was possibly because of the director's (Emerald Fennell) previous work. But then I guess every director has to produce some mediocrity.

From a personal perspective and tangentially, the British media environment is hopelessly overrun by poshos (such as Fennell: public school, Oxbridge) very comfortable with telling the stories of other poshos. I do get a little tired of this sort of outsized attention and would love a little more diversity in visions of the country, but I guess money talks and there's an insatiable global appetite for British aristocracy, stately homes and so on.

Reactions: gorfias

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
From a personal perspective and tangentially, the British media environment is hopelessly overrun by poshos (such as Fennell: public school, Oxbridge) very comfortable with telling the stories of other poshos. I do get a little tired of this sort of outsized attention and would love a little more diversity in visions of the country, but I guess money talks and there's an insatiable global appetite for British aristocracy, stately homes and so on.
My car has a bug where, if you turn the engine off and on again within about an hour, the radio doesn't default to the last thing you were listening to, it puts Radio 4 on instead. Which is how I heard an interview with the director of Saltburn, and she is unbelievably posh. Not at all like the Papa Roach I was expecting to listen to.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
My car has a bug where, if you turn the engine off and on again within about an hour, the radio doesn't default to the last thing you were listening to, it puts Radio 4 on instead. Which is how I heard an interview with the director of Saltburn, and she is unbelievably posh. Not at all like the Papa Roach I was expecting to listen to.
Part of me wants public schools (at least, the major ones like Eton, Harrow, etc.) and Oxbridge burnt down. Increasingly, I get the feeling that the whole set-up is not healthy for the country and just turns the UK into a self-perpetuating posh people's playground. The last 13 years of misrule being a particularly painful example of what this means.

Reactions: Baffle

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Hancock, 5/10

I actually watched this over 2 years ago, but it's been on my mind recently, and I think it's become a much more interesting film retroactively to talk about. This is a Will Smith superhero movie from 2008, where Smith plays Hancock, a drunk, inept superhero in Los Angeles. He's an alcoholic loner and pretty much hated by the general populace because of all the collateral damage he causes, but he's so enormously powerful (like close to Superman level) that he's the only game in town whenever something bad happens. His life starts changing after he saves a family from a train disaster, and the father (Jason Bateman) starts coaching him to become a better superhero.

Having been released just before the MCU took over the world, this film occupies an interesting, singular place in superhero media. It's after the Raimi Spider-Man trilogy and all the shitty superhero adaptations of the 00s, when the genre had just ironed out its kinks and was getting the formula for actually good adaptations down. It's not based on any existing property, which is super rare (heh) for a superhero film. It's actually playing with some pretty interesting ideas for the genre: there are no other superheroes, nor are there supervillains in the world. Hancock is completely alone in his predicament, there's no Justice League or Xavier's School to join. In this it actually succeeds in an element where so many superhero films fail: conveying the main character's separation and isolation from the world. It's best illustrated in a pretty crass scene for the genre where Hancock is getting laid, but right before finishing he has to tell the chick to run away, lest his climax literally blow her brains out.

Hancock himself is also a very interesting take on the archetype, and this is where it being an original script works in its favor: there's no continuity or established characterization to complain about. Hancock isn't a plucky newcomer or a teenager discovering his powers, he's a well established grown man who's been doing his thing for decades. He's bitter, uncaring and resigned to the world just hating him, he's almost like what Shrek was to fairytale characters. As such the usual superhero arc is nowhere to be seen. The film is more about Hancock rediscovering himself, relearning empathy after, and trying to become a more responsible, positive person. It's actually really engaging and adult, and has only grown more interesting in the era of oversaturated cookie-cutter MCU slop.

So how is it only a 5/10? Well, the positive elements listed above are like one third, at best one half of the movie. The rest of it is a haphazard mess with disastrous tonal issues, too many plot elements, and it being basically two films mashed into one. Jason Bateman's character's subplot is sooooo schmaltzy and sentimental. The first third of the film lays out all the elements for a really interesting, deconstructive character study, and then resolves those elements in the most patronizing, predictably Hollywood way. The entire second half is basically a whole, entirely different film on its own, and it just becomes an absolute mess. There's one really intense and emotionally charged scene in particular where the music should be something from the Bloodborne soundtrack, but instead the film goes for some upbeat jazz, as if to try to make the scene funny somehow. It's just baffling.

One of the most frustrating aspects of this film is how clearly it's being restrained by its PG-13 rating. This is a story whose setup could easily appear in The Boys, but the film can't even show blood properly. As such it's completely robbed of its amazing potential and has to settle for watered down, family friendly versions of scenes where some proper gore or sense of physical consequence could have an incredible impact. For crying out loud, the movie's first action scene has Ludacris's "Move B!tch" playing in the background, and has to censor one half of the title. This, too, makes this film interesting to watch in this day and age: its premise is simply too ahead of its time to properly cash in on. The film also looks butt-ugly. This is smack dab in the middle of the "teal and orange" era of film color grading, and as a result there are no black or white people in the movie, only orange people. Everyone looks really greasy and sweaty most of the time, and while the effects hold up decently well, there's pretty much nothing to write home about in terms of visuals. The film has good actors, but the messy script keeps everyone's acting to just being okay.

If there ever was a film desperately crying out for a remake or a proper sequel, this is it. There have been a few films with somewhat similar premises (like The Old Guard with Charlize Theron funnily enough), but in the era of Invincible, The Boys and Joker this premise is a gold mine waiting to be rediscovered.

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Watched one of my favorite childhood Disney movies; The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Haven't watched it in YEARS.

Minus the gargoyles, I considered it to be one of the greatest animated movies back then, and I still stand by them now. It's probably my second favorite animated movie, right after The Lion King. I love everything about this movie; the songs, the visuals, the characters, The nearly-accurate protrayal of the chapel, etc.

I am always facinated by self-righteous villains (Lex Luthor, Danzo, etc) and I think it all came from this movie's Judge Claude Frollo. The dude is so convinced his doing god's work, and he's willing to commit the worst atrocities for his commitment. He never has one shred of doubt, and fully believes the end justifies the means.

But the best part IMO is the Disney girl of this movie, Esmeralda. I'm kinda sad to see all these Disney princesses and girls being cosplayed and remembered, yet Esmeralda never seems to get mention.

Her song is amazing. Everything about this sequence is near perfection; The way she's facing the opposite direction of other people in the chapel, the lightning, Quazimoto being touched by the lyics and relating his life to them, and the way she's singing not about her personal problems, but asking god to save her people living in prosecution

Too bad it had that crappy sequel for direct-to-vhs/dvd

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But the best part IMO is the Disney girl of this movie, Esmeralda. I'm kinda sad to see all these Disney princesses and girls being cosplayed and remembered, yet Esmeralda never seems to get mention.
From Disney? Not so much. From fans? Plenty and still do. Something to cheer you up.

Too bad it had that crappy sequel for direct-to-vhs/dvd
Most people ignore a majority of the animated sequels. Hunchback II does have a few defenders, I always thought it as whatever any way.

Reactions: FakeSympathy