Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Watched one of my favorite childhood Disney movies; The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Haven't watched it in YEARS.

Minus the gargoyles, I considered it to be one of the greatest animated movies back then, and I still stand by them now. It's probably my second favorite animated movie, right after The Lion King. I love everything about this movie; the songs, the visuals, the characters, The nearly-accurate protrayal of the chapel, etc.

I am always facinated by self-righteous villains (Lex Luthor, Danzo, etc) and I think it all came from this movie's Judge Claude Frollo. The dude is so convinced his doing god's work, and he's willing to commit the worst atrocities for his commitment. He never has once shred of doubt, and fully believes the end justifies the means.

But the best part IMO is the Disney girl of this movie, Esmeralda. I'm kinda sad to see all these Disney princesses and girls being cosplayed and remembered, yet Esmeralda never seems to get mention.

Her song is amazing. Everything about this sequence is near perfection; The way she's facing the opposite direction of other people in the chapel, the lightning, Quazimoto being touched by the lyics and relating his life to them, and the way she's singing not about her personal problems, but asking god to save her people living in prosecution

Too bad it had that crappy sequel for direct-to-vhs/dvd
For me, Hunchback is a movie dragged down by two things. First off, as much as I like her as a character, I felt Demi Moore was miscast as Esmeralda, due to her age really showing in her voice. I think Esmeralda is meant to be in her mid-20's, but Demi Moore sounded like the 30-something she was. It wasn't terrible, but it was a bit distracting for me. That said, I agree about "God Help the Outcasts" being a HIGHLY overlooked song in Disney's ouvre.

The gargoyles, however...that's the real problem I have with this movie. Comic relief that isn't funny, in a movie that didn't need to be funny at all, and topping it off with one of the worst songs in Disney, never mind this movie.

Both those aside, I still really like the movie. It's just held back to be not as great as the movies it released around.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
The gargoyles, however...that's the real problem I have with this movie. Comic relief that isn't funny, in a movie that didn't need to be funny at all, and topping it off with one of the worst songs in Disney, never mind this movie.
OMG yes. I feel like if the movie revealed that they were Quazi's imaginary friends all along, it would've been a great twist. Kinda like in Cast Away or I am Legend, it would've shown how humans are desperate for connection in isolation, making him really relatable.

But they are indeed real, as shown in the final battle. I feel like one would've been plenty.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
OMG yes. I feel like if the movie revealed that they were Quazi's imaginary friends all along, it would've been a great twist. Kinda like in Cast Away or I am Legend, it would've shown how humans are desperate for connection in isolation, making him really relatable.
That would have been too smart for 90's Disney cartoon, let's be honest. Those movies have their undeniable qualities and I like many of them a lot, but subtlety isn't one of those qualities.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'd say the gargoyles work for the most part. Quasimodo having three imaginary friends that represent an aspect of him - the wise side, the innocent/naive side, and the mischievous side - makes sense for him being a regular human being and his desperate want for interaction. And the idea of him dragging these lifeless statues around with him as a means of him feeling like he's part of a community or family is incredibly sad and endearing. That is ofcourse till the movie's like 'no, they're real' and it just falls apart. But there was something good there for a few moments. But yeah, that song blows.

The one pet peeve I have with this movie is the lack of shine in Esmeralda's eyes. Every other character either has a shine or has the smaller black dot, but Esmeralda has these full green irises yet there's no dimension to them either through shading or a little round shine, and this really irks me as it makes her eyes look flat.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Watched one of my favorite childhood Disney movies; The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Haven't watched it in YEARS.

Minus the gargoyles, I considered it to be one of the greatest animated movies back then, and I still stand by them now. It's probably my second favorite animated movie, right after The Lion King. I love everything about this movie; the songs, the visuals, the characters, The nearly-accurate protrayal of the chapel, etc.
Agreed 100%. It's among the very top of 90s animation, right alongside Princess Mononoke, The Prince of Egypt and The Lion King (all of those have royal titles in their names, huh). I'd personally chalk Disney's unwillingness to acknowledge Esmeralda's existence to 1. her being Romani, which in today's climate regarding ethnicity is a whole minefield of controversy waiting to be stepped on, and 2. her being probably the most brazenly sexual Disney female lead possibly ever, with maybe only Jasmine from Aladdin giving her decent competition. I certainly can't picture the squeaky clean, sterile Disney of today animating something like her image in the flames during the Hellfire song.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

I am always facinated by self-righteous villains (Lex Luthor, Danzo, etc) and I think it all came from this movie's Judge Claude Frollo. The dude is so convinced his doing god's work, and he's willing to commit the worst atrocities for his commitment. He never has once shred of doubt, and fully believes the end justifies the means.

But the best part IMO is the Disney girl of this movie, Esmeralda. I'm kinda sad to see all these Disney princesses and girls being cosplayed and remembered, yet Esmeralda never seems to get mention.

Her song is amazing. Everything about this sequence is near perfection; The way she's facing the opposite direction of other people in the chapel, the lightning, Quazimoto being touched by the lyics and relating his life to them, and the way she's singing not about her personal problems, but asking god to save her people living in prosecution

Too bad it had that crappy sequel for direct-to-vhs/dvd
The movie is killer, I liked most of the songs; “Out There” and “Bells of Notre Dame“ are good listening but “Hellfire” is the piece de resistance.

Also I don’t mind the gargoyles much but if they were there I think they should have either made the existing designed ones his imaginary friends per the oft preferred idea. Or if real they must be, they should have been designed to look like Greg Wiesman’s Gargoyles.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Agreed 100%. It's among the very top of 90s animation, right alongside Princess Mononoke, The Prince of Egypt and The Lion King (all of those have royal titles in their names, huh). I'd personally chalk Disney's unwillingness to acknowledge Esmeralda's existence to 1. her being Romani, which in today's climate regarding ethnicity is a whole minefield of controversy waiting to be stepped on, and 2. her being probably the most brazenly sexual Disney female lead possibly ever, with maybe only Jasmine from Aladdin giving her decent competition. I certainly can't picture the squeaky clean, sterile Disney of today animating something like her image in the flames during the Hellfire song.
Also, she did a pole dance during a time when that was still 100% associated with strippers.

The other reason is probably because Hunchback on a whole just isn't as merchandise friendly. You don't see Frollo being acknowledged much as a villain by Disney neither, because... you know. Don't think I've ever seen footage of Frollo walking around Disney World. Can you imagine - this racist, sexually repressed, religious zealout interacting with kids in a park? Though it is Florida so...

Reactions: BrawlMan

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Ok, here's my patented fancast for the inevitable live-action Notre Dame, starring 2024's most hip, bankable, fuckable actors. If I get 40% of these right I want a taste of the backend:

Quasimodo: Barry Keoghan. No contest. Joke answer Tom Holland because (rooftop swinging and)...

Esmeralda: Zendaya. Also no contest. Don't even pretend there's another choice.

Phoebus: Austin Butler or some other blonde normie jock. A younger Glen Powell would work.

Frollo: Kylo Ren. He has the drip, the baritone, the intensity and the obligatory age gap with the good guys.

Clopin: Bit of a crapshoot. Maybe Archie Madekwe?

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Ok, here's my patented fancast for the inevitable live-action Notre Dame, starring 2024's most hip, bankable, fuckable actors. If I get 40% of these right I want a taste of the backend:

Quasimodo: Barry Keoghan. No contest. Joke answer Tom Holland because (rooftop swinging and)...

Esmeralda: Zendaya. Also no contest. Don't even pretend there's another choice.

Phoebus: Austin Butler or some other blonde normie jock. A younger Glen Powell would work.

Frollo: Kylo Ren. He has the drip, the baritone, the intensity and the obligatory age gap with the good guys.

Clopin: Bit of a crapshoot. Maybe Archie Madekwe?
Wasn't Rami Malek set to play Quasimodo? I think I heard that name floating around.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Wasn't Rami Malek set to play Quasimodo? I think I heard that name floating around.
Good actor but when I think off-putting social pariah whose naked face would win first prize at a freak show I think Barry Keoghan.

Rami can channel Freddy Mercury and play Clopin.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Disney has said that they've basically stalled out on their attempt to make a LA Hunchback movie because of sensitivity issues IRT the depiction of Romani that are unavoidable in an adaptation.

Bartholen

Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Okay, I'm only a little over 40 minutes into Rebel Moon, but I have to get these thoughts out of my head before I keep watching.

It's a colossal piece of shit, I love it!

This was the first Zack Snyder movie I've ever genuinely been excited to watch. The misses vastly outnumber the hits in his filmography, but the trailer for this legit looked so bad I was just extatic. And so far those expectations have well been met, and judging by the reception so will the rest of the movie. It's perhaps the most cliché-ridden, blatant ripoff movie of the entire decade so far: It's Star Wars, and a bit of Dune, and a bit of Warhammer 40k, and a bit of Seven Samurai. The dialogue is so fucking bad that I've been laughing for pretty much the entire runtime so far. The beyond clunky exposition is especially hilarious. The world presented makes zero sense and constantly raises questions, like why would you use a giant mallet to ring the alarm bell, when a normal hammer would do the same perfectly fine. The blandness of every character almost goes full circle and becomes hilarious because there's so little creativity or inspiration in anything. So far this is possibly Snyder's ugliest movie yet. I'm not yet sure if 300 or this will take the grand prize because 300 was so much more stylized, but this still looks like absolute flaming dogshit. Like what the fuck is going on with the depth of field here? Everything looks super stagey and fake, the editing is a mess, and there's of course the requisite completely gratuitous slo-mo.

I'm almost tempted to say that even for Snyder this is a new level of bad, but then I remember that this is what always comes of his original scripts. I guess it just feels different this time because this is trying to be a huge, sprawling epic as opposed to something like Sucker Punch or Army of the Dead which are much more self-contained. But this is seriously something I'd have cringed at even at 12 years old. This makes me feel less bad for the fantasy novel I was writing at that age, because at least I wasn't this blatant at ripping off movies I'd seen.

Edit: fuck it, called it quits when I had an hour left. I'm gonna watch the rest of it, but I can only take so much cringe without the involvement of friends and/or alcohol. Throw in Harry Potter and Blade Runner into the pile of things this just rips off with zero regard for theme, cohesion or common sense. It is literally the "We have [X] at home" meme in movie form. I am truly floored. If this won't be the worst film I'll see all year, I'll be astounded.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
The fuck did I just watch?

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
All My Friends Hate Me (2022)

Low-budget British sort of comedy - psychological thriller. Our protagonist, Pete, is heading off to join a reunion of old university friends celebrating his 31st birthday who he has (mostly) not seen for a long time, and one of which is an ex-girlfriend. Once there, he feels deeply unsettled, even paranoid that his friends hate him, not helped by the appearance of a stranger they picked up along the way, who seems to take a particular delight in making Pete feel off-balance. And does Pete have skeletons in his closet?

Are his old friends really out to get him, even kill him?

The movie is much about social awkwardness, and succeeds at being both genuinely uncomfortable and funny. This is not the relatively superficial stuff of comedy gaffes and pratfalls that most social awkwardness material is (e.g. Meet the Fockers), it really seems to drill into a much more profound sense of social anxiety, and I suspect viewers more prone to social anxiety will feel the discomfort element much more intensely. Anyway, good stuff.

Bartholen

Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Finished "We have Star Wars at home", I mean, Rebel Moon. As already established, it's a gigantic piece of shit. It's the cringiest, most embarrassing, clichéd, unoriginal, predictable and hamfisted anal discharge I've seen in years. I'm genuinely at a loss for words. This is what Netflix spent $90 million on, this? This is a movie made by someone who's never read script let alone written one, and has only ever seen trailers for movies. Every scene is the cheesiest, most predictable version of itself it could possibly be. The characters are flatter than cardboard. Every line reads like it's meant to be a huge wham line to put in the trailer without anything to back it up. It rips off every popular property of the last 25 years, and some less popular ones too (wasn't really expecting references to Berserk and Face/Off). Even the action, which Snyder's usually at least competent at, is total dogshit here: no sense of geography, impact or weight, the editing sucks and the slo-mo is stupider than ever.

I'm tempted to say I'm done defending Snyder, but I've never actually done that in the first place. He seems like the nicest guy you could meet, but he's a fucking hack, plain and simple. Rebel Moon honestly makes the Star Wars prequels look good by comparison. It's the Jupiter Ascending of this decade, and I can only hope part 2 lives up to this fucking travesty. Bravo Snyder, you've truly outdone yourself on this one.