The FOOD (& Drink) Thread

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Never ever order the Subway tuna. Multiple studies have come out that not only is it usually not tuna, its usually not even fish. Subway tuna is mostly just chicken and mayo.
As a kid, I never liked condiments like ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise, and pretty much associated other condiments like relish and sauerkraut with them assuming I didn't like them by association. Fast forward about 35 years since I took my stance on condiments, my gf convinced me to try sauerkraut when she basically said "it's just cabbage and vinegar, and you like both of those things." I honestly never knew what sauerkraut was; I just disliked it because it sat on the table next to the unholy trinity at many a cookout. And now I love sauerkraut.

Long story short: don't be afraid to try "new" things. (Except ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise; avoid those at all cost.)
Mashing together those two lessons, I'm reminded of my early high school days. Coming back home from a school trip, the classmate I was sitting next to on the bus ordered a seafood and crab sandwich when we stopped at Subway. I (with my plain old Subway Club) was making fun of her for her choice... so she proposed a trade. Half my club for half her seafood sub. Thus called out, I had to agree. Two things happened from that day forward. First, I never ordered anything other than the seafood and crab at Subway ever again. When they stopped selling it, I stopped going there entirely. And Second, my friends to this day still refer to it as the day Emily gave me crabs.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
As a kid, I never liked condiments like ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise, and pretty much associated other condiments like relish and sauerkraut with them assuming I didn't like them by association. Fast forward about 35 years since I took my stance on condiments, my gf convinced me to try sauerkraut when she basically said "it's just cabbage and vinegar, and you like both of those things." I honestly never knew what sauerkraut was; I just disliked it because it sat on the table next to the unholy trinity at many a cookout. And now I love sauerkraut.

Long story short: don't be afraid to try "new" things. (Except ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise; avoid those at all cost.)
Have you made your own mayonnaise? It can be REALLY RELLY good. Way better than stabilzed bought one. Also: mustard: Man. a good mustard can demote cheap sausage to a mustard-delivery system.

But i agree on Ketchup - that stuff is weird and belongs... eh i guess as a small percentage in burger-sauce but NOWHERE ELSE, hehe.

Man... i have eaten pretty bad the last few months (too much cheap frozen menus and take-out). Need to get my shit together and start experimenting in the kitchen again.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Have you made your own mayonnaise? It can be REALLY RELLY good. Way better than stabilzed bought one. Also: mustard: Man. a good mustard can demote cheap sausage to a mustard-delivery system.

But i agree on Ketchup - that stuff is weird and belongs... eh i guess as a small percentage in burger-sauce but NOWHERE ELSE, hehe.

Man... i have eaten pretty bad the last few months (too much cheap frozen menus and take-out). Need to get my shit together and start experimenting in the kitchen again.
What you do to get someone who doesn't like mayo to try a homemade one (don't look Xprimentyl)... Take your egg and oil and emulsify it with some apple cider vinegar and mix in some puréed roast garlic and toasted sesame seeds. Then don't call it mayo, call it aioli. One of my nephews "hates" mayo, but will put my homemade aioli on just about anything.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
What you do to get someone who doesn't like mayo to try a homemade one (don't look Xprimentyl)... Take your egg and oil and emulsify it with some apple cider vinegar and mix in some puréed roast garlic and toasted sesame seeds. Then don't call it mayo, call it aioli. One of my nephews "hates" mayo, but will put my homemade aioli on just about anything.
Nice try; I don't like aioli either. I order a meal and some restaurant that used aioli without knowing what it was, and I couldn't finish it.:sick:

Reactions: Kyrian007

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Being in Indianapolis for GenCon this week, I discovered the most amazing deli ever, Shapiro's Delicatessen. It's pretty massive, there's 2 doors that are only exits, and has full-on entrees and desserts along with deli fare (they really stack the meat and half sandwich is all you need). I went there 3 days straight and avoided the lines at the food trucks. I got chicken stew the first day that was amazing with super tender chicken. Got a peppered beef sandwich and clam chowder the next day, clam chowder flavor wise was very good but would've liked more stock (more potatoes mainly). The 3rd day, I got a turkey sandwich, chilli (just solid, not a big fan of spaghetti noodles in it), and an amazing strawberry cheesecake.

Screenshot_20230805-220737-016.png

IMG_20230803_162714361.jpg

Screenshot_20230805-223916-016.png

IMG_20230804_111346372.jpg

Screenshot_20230805-223955-858.png

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Went to my favorite dive bar, 6th Street Dive in Lafayette Indiana, on the way home from GenCon and got their massive tenderloin sandwich with a cup of chili. The tenderloin is so good and the chili might even have been better, it had like a quarter pound of like brisket/roast in there.

6th.jpg

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Went to my favorite dive bar, 6th Street Dive in Lafayette Indiana, on the way home from GenCon and got their massive tenderloin sandwich with a cup of chili. The tenderloin is so good and the chili might even have been better, it had like a quarter pound of like brisket/roast in there.

View attachment 9382
Reminds me of a restaurant franchise in Oklahoma and Texas called Del Rancho. They serve a Steak Sandwich Supreme with a similarly ridiculously large chicken fried steak that effectively turns the bun into a topping as opposed to a vessel. You eat around the bun to munch it into a manageable sandwich, and you're full before you even reach the bun!

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Being in Indianapolis for GenCon this week, I discovered the most amazing deli ever, Shapiro's Delicatessen. It's pretty massive, there's 2 doors that are only exits, and has full-on entrees and desserts along with deli fare (they really stack the meat and half sandwich is all you need). I went there 3 days straight and avoided the lines at the food trucks. I got chicken stew the first day that was amazing with super tender chicken. Got a peppered beef sandwich and clam chowder the next day, clam chowder flavor wise was very good but would've liked more stock (more potatoes mainly). The 3rd day, I got a turkey sandwich, chilli (just solid, not a big fan of spaghetti noodles in it), and an amazing strawberry cheesecake.

View attachment 9376

View attachment 9377

View attachment 9379

View attachment 9378

View attachment 9380
Hm, the sandwiches look a bit dry.

And why are the knife and fork in a plastic bag? Seems wasteful. And chili with spaghetti? Shouldn't that be fusilli?

Well critical mode off. Hope it tasted good.

bunniesandrainbows

Jul 24, 2023
Cool World
Country
USA
I've been addicted to raspberry-lime seltzer lately! :^o Mostly because I'm trying to wean off soda. Someone gave my mom a huge case of them so I've been going to town on 'em. >B3

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Bought on a wim a few weeks ago:

a lemon-ginger liquor with 20% alcohol from a mostly regional, smaller distillery.

Tasted it: It is absolutely terrible tasting. AWFUL. Couldn't get another sip into my mouth.

but since i don't want to waste it (or just have it in the kitchen for eternity) i experimented with mixing it AND:

Just a tiny cap of it in my usual mild green tea makes it super-peppy refreshing. Harmonized great with it - totally awesome. "Dosage makes the poison" indeed.

Also bought myself a mead sortiment to taste-test a bit. Hard to get different brands and mixes (not much of a market, i guess) - but i recently found a specialty mead shop and went there.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Hm, the sandwiches look a bit dry.

And why are the knife and fork in a plastic bag? Seems wasteful. And chili with spaghetti? Shouldn't that be fusilli?

Well critical mode off. Hope it tasted good.
I only get my sandwiches with meat and cheese so that's all me. It's a kinda cafeteria setup where you get your own stuff to a degree, hence the silverware in plastic bags.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
My girlfriend bought me this jar of homemade chilli chutney. She says it's Supposed to be hot and it's called Warp Spasm. Whether that is an intentional 4OK reference on the makers part or not I don't know. Will report back shortly.

Reporting back: Not bad, a bit spicy but nothing too hot and a nice bit of low key sweetness. Perfectly edible with cheese and crackers if you like chilli sauce but not the stupidly hot ones.
IMG_20231111_182251202.jpg

Last edited:

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I should have taken a picture, made my Thanksgiving shepard's pie last weekend. Uncooked sage bread stuffing lining the bottom of an oiled pan. Layer of fresh peas, green beans, corn, and carrots. Latticed with marinated turkey breast strips and topped with a layer of mashed potatoes. Bake until potatoes go golden brown on top. Rest for 5-10 minutes. Slice and serve... awesome.