Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Man.. I once thought Isla Fischer would be like a big deal. She's funny and charming and so freaking gorgeous, I thought she'd be like the next Kate Hudson. But she ends up doing stuff like these eh?
Hudson was well-established in her early 20s, but Fisher in her early-30s. I wonder if because Fisher first worked up through Australia and the UK before she arrived at Hollywood, by the time she'd "made it" she was almost over-the-hill in terms of youth-orientated Hollywood.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I watched the first episode of Ronja The Robber's Daughter on Netflix. Pretty good. I've always had a soft spot for this story, and I've been hoping for a proper adaptation for decades. There was one from back in the 80's that wasn't bad, but I can't remember too much of it. Anyway, this new one looks to be alright. None of that cheap looking digital streaming filter that Netflix original shows tend to have.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Mr. and Mrs. Smith 6/10

Amazon Prime TV show that is the same premise as the movie that brought Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt together on screen and IRL, about two spies that turn on each other then get together.

This one is helmed by and stars Donald Glover and the first two episodes directed by Hiro Murai who also worked with him on Atlanta. The female lead was supposed to be Phoebe Waller-Bridge most famous for Fleabag but she left due to some sort of "creative differences" with Glover and was replaced by Maya Erskine from Pen15.

At first I didn't care because, you know, remakes etc bleh, but Atlanta is one of the greatest TV things ever in our lives. I also really liked Fleabag so I was dismayed when she left and after watching the show really would have liked to see how her contribution would have improved it.

The show on its own merits is mostly a stylish hang with a couple of cool characters. Erskine plays the more disaffected high-performer to Glover's more erneast counterpoint. The plot is pretty ridiculous, taking the already ridiculous premise of the movie to an even more extreme silliness.
The best parts are the.. parts. Individual moments, scenes, set pieces and guest stars- my goodness, they have guest stars: John Torturro, Ron Pearlman, Alexander Skarsgard, Paul Dano, Parker Posey, Michaela Coal, Sarah Paulson (the GOAT of TV guest stars), and even my spirit animal Dave Attell.

The pacing is weird and they swing extremes from suspicious to romance to hatred to love and that is the point of the show but it doesn't come together at all. I think they try to balance being cool and sympathetic and they can't do both. The movie worked because they just focused on being cool and glamorous, casting two of the most insanely gorgeous people on earth. The TV show is bringing it down a bit more to reality but doesn't deliver on any kind of real drama so it's in this grey area of like.. it's fine? But not particularly great.

It's a hang show and I would recommend it only if you're looking for something like with some enjoyable moments, and really it's the guest stars that make it fun.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The Gentlemen - 8/10

Based on the Guy Richie movie of the same name, which I think is only 1 of 2 movies of his I really like, the other being Snatch. It's a British gangster show that will shock nobody. The great thing about the show is that it just takes the very basic premise of the movie and it's not just re-doing the movie. The characters are mainly fun and somewhat wacky, what you'd expect from a Guy Ritchie movie. And if anyone needs/wants an example of how to do a strong female character, Susie from this show is like the perfect example of one.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith 6/10

Amazon Prime TV show that is the same premise as the movie that brought Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt together on screen and IRL, about two spies that turn on each other then get together.

This one is helmed by and stars Donald Glover and the first two episodes directed by Hiro Murai who also worked with him on Atlanta. The female lead was supposed to be Phoebe Waller-Bridge most famous for Fleabag but she left due to some sort of "creative differences" with Glover and was replaced by Maya Erskine from Pen15.

At first I didn't care because, you know, remakes etc bleh, but Atlanta is one of the greatest TV things ever in our lives. I also really liked Fleabag so I was dismayed when she left and after watching the show really would have liked to see how her contribution would have improved it.

The show on its own merits is mostly a stylish hang with a couple of cool characters. Erskine plays the more disaffected high-performer to Glover's more erneast counterpoint. The plot is pretty ridiculous, taking the already ridiculous premise of the movie to an even more extreme silliness.
The best parts are the.. parts. Individual moments, scenes, set pieces and guest stars- my goodness, they have guest stars: John Torturro, Ron Pearlman, Alexander Skarsgard, Paul Dano, Parker Posey, Michaela Coal, Sarah Paulson (the GOAT of TV guest stars), and even my spirit animal Dave Attell.

The pacing is weird and they swing extremes from suspicious to romance to hatred to love and that is the point of the show but it doesn't come together at all. I think they try to balance being cool and sympathetic and they can't do both. The movie worked because they just focused on being cool and glamorous, casting two of the most insanely gorgeous people on earth. The TV show is bringing it down a bit more to reality but doesn't deliver on any kind of real drama so it's in this grey area of like.. it's fine? But not particularly great.

It's a hang show and I would recommend it only if you're looking for something like with some enjoyable moments, and really it's the guest stars that make it fun.
Yeah, I kinda felt the same about the show, especially with the characters' relationship constantly changing. One of the other disappointing things was the action just wasn't good at all nor was it really ever fun or creative or comedic. I also feel they needed to do more with the lore/spy agency because some of the missions they have are rather odd and don't really make sense, and I'm like there's gonna be some kind of twist going on but there's nothing revealed in the 1st season at least.

Reactions: gorfias
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I posit she has more of a career than Kate Hudson at this point, even if she never quite became an A-Lister like Kate did.

My take on the show is that it's one of those smol, unambitious, shot-near-my-home celebrity-financed post-COVID projects that exist purely to continue working. Small cast, few sets, short episodes. Season two at least enjoyed a bigger budget.

She's also married to Borat so she clearly has a thing for weird and uncomfortable.

A funny bit about that -

Is so often mistaken for actress/friend Amy Adams that she and her prankster husband Sacha Baron Cohen once pasted Amy's face over Isla's on their custom holiday greeting cards with the message, "Season Greetings from Sacha, Isla and the Kids". Apparently none of the recipients even noticed. And, when Lady Gaga met her in person, she told her how much she loved her acting in American Hustle (2013) (starring Amy Adams), Isla didn't want to spoil her excitement -- then Amy Adams actually walked in.

Her trivia is pretty interesting in general; especially the part about her nearly drowning while filming inside a piranha tank. Seriously gives one pause at how shit like this is handled on sets. Like, I’m not really a fan of Alex Baldwin but it’s pretty fucked up how his life is practically ruined due to some crew fuck up too. OTOH, assumptions, handling any gun, can’t be too careful, etc.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
A funny bit about that -

Is so often mistaken for actress/friend Amy Adams that she and her prankster husband Sacha Baron Cohen once pasted Amy's face over Isla's on their custom holiday greeting cards with the message, "Season Greetings from Sacha, Isla and the Kids". Apparently none of the recipients even noticed. And, when Lady Gaga met her in person, she told her how much she loved her acting in American Hustle (2013) (starring Amy Adams), Isla didn't want to spoil her excitement -- then Amy Adams actually walked in.
She also plays Amy Adams' doppelganger in Nocturnal Animals. Jake Gyllenhaal plays a writer who self-inserts in a story (in which the character is also played by Jake) and sends the manuscript to his ex wife, played by Amy Adams. But the character in the story who is clearly meant to be a stand-in for Jake's wife is instead played by Isla Fisher.

I was at the press conference after they screened the movie and when Amy Adams walked in I thought that was Isla Fisher (who sadly didn't show up).

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I haven't seen much with Isla Fisher, but she was fantastic in Rango. Also, she was in Rango, which automatically makes her great.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
She also plays Amy Adams' doppelganger in Nocturnal Animals. Jake Gyllenhaal plays a writer who self-inserts in a story (in which the character is also played by Jake) and sends the manuscript to his ex wife, played by Amy Adams. But the character in the story who is clearly meant to be a stand-in for Jake's wife is instead played by Isla Fisher.

I was at the press conference after they screened the movie and when Amy Adams walked in I thought that was Isla Fisher (who sadly didn't show up).
Makeup can make a big difference especially in passing glances, but side by side the facial features and eyes are surely unique.

1712067295016.jpeg

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Star Trek: Discory is back for its last season with two new episodes and they're great. So this is just my annoying reminder that I may be the only person who thinks Discovery (starting with season 3!) has been the only decent Star Trek in any medium since Deep Space Nine went off the air and it pains me that it keeps getting slagged or dismissed.

One of the great things about this season's plot is that they reference something from the TNG era but without cameos. This is how you do nostalgia in a franchise- themes, stories, not recycled guest appearances and repeating the same shit.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So... like a madman, for the past two weeks, I've been watching seasons 3 to 8 of House MD. I am just so relieved to finally be fucking finished. Most of it was on 1.5x speed, which I think may have fucked over my brain because watching on normal speed genuinely feels like slow mo.

Anyway, clearly I enjoyed the show. Everyone is excellently cast, the medical mysteries are genuinely fun, and frankly, after four years of streaming service drivel, I had completely forgotten how good TV could actually be.

That's not to say I don't have my nitpicks. A consequence of shotgunning episodes like House pops Vicodin pills is that the pattern gets obvious really quickly. Patient comes in, the residence is visited, a red herring is discovered, a wrong treatment is ordered, another diagnosis is made, another wrong treatment, then House puts it all together at the end. Every episode, for 22 episodes a season. It's a credit to the show that they kept things interesting for so long, but at the same time I got a little annoyed every time a wrong diagnosis was made. You already knew it was wrong, and yet the doctors are presenting it with such confidence. Really takes you out of the whole thing.

But like I said, the show reminded me that TV can be good. It's two decades old, and looks better than anything Disney+. The absolute creativity of certain episodes, to effort to make shots of the same people in the same room not so boring, and the general charisma of the cast takes this show to another level. You can just feel the passion the writers, actors, and staff put into the show.8 seasons of a show is no mean feat

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Hazbin Hotel - 3/10

Just went on a vacation with some friends and a couple were really into this show to the fact that I think it got played at least twice fully during the trip. I watched the vast majority of the season and was on my phone for a decent amount as the show isn't very good. The writing is really poor as the basic premise is contradicted rather early on and we hardly ever see the main character try to redeem people in hell, which is what the show is supposed to be about.

The main character is the daughter of Lucifer and is told to the audience to have daddy issues but Lucifer is actually rather supportive and likes spending time with her so there's no reason to think she has daddy issues outside of being told she has daddy issues. And that's par for the show, it's constantly tell instead of show. You constantly have characters enter the show for really no reason and then the focus is on them instead of what the main character trying to do. It is really just "throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks" the show. The songs are usually pretty decent and catchy, that's about it.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Community - 4/10

I watched it because of all the memes I've seen from the show. Unfortunately having seen the memes I had already seen every part of the show that's actually funny.

Multiple seasons too long. The characters even call out the fact that the show doesn't make any sense since they're at a 2-year college but every season of the show is a year. They also call out that each season the characters just devolve more and more into caricatures of themselves and completely lose all substance to be replaced with repetitive shticks and catchphrases. The problem with this is that it doesn't work as "meta comedy" because these issues don't actually get fixed. The writers are just pointing out that they are hacks.

The relationship between Jeff and Annie is fucking creepy. When the show starts he's 36 and she's 18. He's literally double her age. Allison Brie is adorable though. If you want to watch something with Alison Brie that's actually good go watch Glow instead. Not enough people watched Glow, and it's great.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Escape from Jupiter - 8/10

This was a high concept kids show from 1994 on the ABC. Its budget makes Dr. Who look like Ben-Hur and its CGI would probably embarrass an original PlayStation. But, it’s good. Or at least it has the bones and even a few muscles of a good idea.

To whit, the show is about the crew of a mining outpost on Io having to emergency evacuate when the automated mining fucks up some and causes a cascading fuck up that destroys the outpost. They end up on a derelict but still remarkably functional space station called KL5 that’s still in orbit. So they strap their space tug to the back of it, point in the direction of Earth and fire thrusters.

Okay so remember when I said it’s a kid show? Yeah so most of this is told from the POV of five kids: Io-born science nerd Michael, his mate Kingston, apprentice rough neck Gerrard and his little sister Anna. They’re joined by well to do Corpo princess Kumiko in the first episode. That means that most of the good decisions the senior administrator Duffy makes are put through the prism of him being an unreasonable dick. It’s the main point of contention I have with the show after re-watching it as an adult. The other is its too damn short. 13 episodes, less than 5 hours of content and it feels like the surface of the concept has barely been scratched.

I know people are sick of remakes, but there is a massive amount of old stuff I remember that was homegrown that I'd love to see remade well so everyone else in the world could appreciate it too, and this is one of them.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Tokyo Vice (Season 2)

I'm enjoying it more than the first season since now the show is 100% payoff. It's also more evenly focused across all the different characters, so you're not stuck with the boring protag as much. Now I get that it's based on the dude's book so of course he's going to be the main POV, and that the showrunner is caught between maintaining the plausible realism of a some gaijin journalist being so integral to the dismantling of organized crime in Tokyo but also, hey, you're the one adapting his book. So Jake is always either a believably bland presence (his boss hates him, he never quite gets the scoop, gets his ass beat a whole bunch) or having what seems to me exaggerated dalliances with his underworld chums (he's cucking a Yakuza boss... uh huh).

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I started watching Resident Alien on Netflix (Thank you lab test account) last night and it's surprisingly solid.

I remember hearing the announcement for this show like a million years ago and I thought it was gonna be some silly sitcom comedy and ignored it. I'm only a few episodes in, but I found it both interesting and hilarious. It's more straddling a line between black comedy and drama. The Alien was sent to Earth to wipe us out with a bomb. Instead he crashes here and has to pretend to be human until he can finish his Bomb.

Alan Tudyk plays the alien sort of doing a take on Dexter combined with Mork & Mindy. He immediately kills somebody pretty violently in the first episode and that becomes a subplot of him trying to hide the body, ending up forced to become the towns resident Doctor to hide his identity. He gets into some hilarious hijinx like trying to murder a kid who suspects who he really is. The comedy obvious comes from how awkward he is, but it's not played up to a BIg Bang Theory sitcom soundtrack. Instead is all played straight which is wonderful. Everyone is like "WTF is wrong with you?!" or creeped out by him and only you the audience is laughing. I applaud the respect for the audiences intelligence here.

The only drawback of the show is that it also wants you to care about the townsfolk. They don't beat you over the head with it in the first season according to reddit, but apparently the towns people become more of a character in the second season. I'll watch it til I get bored and report back. First 5 episodes so far have been pretty great.
First 2 seasons on Netflix, 3rd season, which has a fantastic cliff hanger, is available to me on tv.youtube. I'm not crazy with the mayor. Maybe due to identifying with some of his idiosyncrasies. But you do come to enjoy most of the towns people. And even the mayor becomes more sympathetic. Great story with a lot of laugh out loud moments.
The Gentlemen - 8/10

Based on the Guy Richie movie of the same name, which I think is only 1 of 2 movies of his I really like, the other being Snatch. It's a British gangster show that will shock nobody. The great thing about the show is that it just takes the very basic premise of the movie and it's not just re-doing the movie. The characters are mainly fun and somewhat wacky, what you'd expect from a Guy Ritchie movie. And if anyone needs/wants an example of how to do a strong female character, Susie from this show is like the perfect example of one.
Thought it a 7/10. Worth watching.

Guy Ritchie does have a pretty good record:

I loved Sherlock 2. More recently on Prime is "Covenant" which is solid.

Reactions: Piscian

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Oof. I think he's very hit and miss, with his hits offset by some truly staggering turkeys. (Although holy shit - he directed a $1 billion box office movie for Disney, which I didn't realise.)

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Oof. I think he's very hit and miss, with his hits offset by some truly staggering turkeys. (Although holy shit - he directed a $1 billion box office movie for Disney, which I didn't realise.)
This is like Guy Ritchie Dialed down to a 5/10. Not in terms of quality but in Ritchie tropes. This is more a well done subdued crime caper/comedy with enough GR energy to make it fun. I think this one in particular you can figure out in the first episode if it's worth sticking with. If you like the first you'll like the whole micro-series. It was very bingeable.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Even that one, "Aladin" was far less awful than I expected. I mean, Will Smith trying to fill Robin William's shoes! But it worked. As a writer, his low is pretty low. 2002's "Swept Away". The OG amazed me way back in the day. Richie's was cringe.

Sad we didn't get a Sherlock 3 but after how great 2 was, I don't really know where he'd go from there. If you haven't seen it and you like super hero like adventure, I think you'd love this.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Thought it a 7/10. Worth watching.

I loved Sherlock 2. More recently on Prime is "Covenant" which is solid.
Of his movies I've seen (haven't seen Covenant), I've only really liked Snatch and The Gentlemen. I did like The Man from UNCLE well enough. I don't recall liking either Sherlock movie that much IIRC.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Of his movies I've seen (haven't seen Covenant), I've only really liked Snatch and The Gentlemen. I did like The Man from UNCLE well enough. I don't recall liking either Sherlock movie that much IIRC.
I thought Sherlock 1 skippable. 2? Dunno if I'd put it up there with the Dark Knight (I'm old and a movie fan so, I know a lot of movies and, DK? Still my number 1 that if I saw it was on TV while flipping channels? I'd stop and watch whatever was left. Same for Good Fellas.) But it is spectacular to me. So much so that I don't know that a part 3 could succeed.