Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
3 Body Problem: S1:Ep. 1-3 *sigh* / Great

Scientists around the planet find themselves in individual intellectual crises of faith (read THAT again,) oft leading to abandonment of career or suicide, as a supplanting of the fundamental laws of physics turn our entire scientific understanding on its head. Meanwhile, a VR "game" of mysterious origin (exceeds our modern state-of-the-art technologies by decades, if not centuries) offers hints at what might be going on...
Another one of those shows that gets off by mind fucking you, and leaving you so lost in the sauce, that you can't help but watch more. So far I both love AND hate it. I love the premise. I hate that I can't stop watching. I was supposed to log in for work at 8am this morning, and I did, but since starting watching at 7am, I've only functionally been at my computer for about 10 minutes. Thankfully, it's a slow day "at the office," but still, I wasn't expecting to get hooked like this. I'll probably binge the whole thing today, and Google is telling me season 2 isn't expected until 2026. Fuck my life.

This is where we're at, people; good television is as stressful as the work-a-day life we used to use it to escape from.
Read the books, they're significantly better.

Reactions: gorfias

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Baby Reindeer (Netflix)

This is a series written by comedian Richard Gadd based on his own life about his experience with a stalker, previously a one-man performance. It starts with him as an aspiring (and at this point not very good) comedian who's trying to make it, but mostly working as a bartender in a London pub. One day a dejected middle-aged woman arrives in the bar called "Martha", and Gadd takes pity on her, gives her a cup of tea on the house, and chats to her. Oh, you poor fool for that act of kindness. He senses something is off from the start, but Martha keeps returning, and they start to bond. Being a stalker, however, Martha then starts invading every part of his life, disrupting it, and things start going very, very wrong.

In a sense, if you've seen or read a story about a stalker, much will be familiar. However, what's perhaps interesting here is that as the series develops we find out more about (semi-fictional?) Gadd, and it becomes clear that all is not well in his life even despite Martha. Indeed, as a substantially factual version of his life, it is a form of confessional, plus addressing difficult questions about Gadd's own role in this horror show. Although billed as a comedy, by episode four comedy is essentially off the cards, it's mostly just harrowing. It is unfortunately let down by some of the later parts whilst wrapping up, which seems rather trite and cliched in getting towards the resolution and conclusin. In a sense, Gadd himself (the real one) probably has had a happy ending - turning this dark night of the soul into media has been the source of his success. I hope it's some recompense for his experiences.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
3 Body Problem: S1:Ep. 1-3 *sigh* / Great

Scientists around the planet find themselves in individual intellectual crises of faith (read THAT again,) oft leading to abandonment of career or suicide, as a supplanting of the fundamental laws of physics turn our entire scientific understanding on its head. Meanwhile, a VR "game" of mysterious origin (exceeds our modern state-of-the-art technologies by decades, if not centuries) offers hints at what might be going on...
Another one of those shows that gets off by mind fucking you, and leaving you so lost in the sauce, that you can't help but watch more. So far I both love AND hate it. I love the premise. I hate that I can't stop watching. I was supposed to log in for work at 8am this morning, and I did, but since starting watching at 7am, I've only functionally been at my computer for about 10 minutes. Thankfully, it's a slow day "at the office," but still, I wasn't expecting to get hooked like this. I'll probably binge the whole thing today, and Google is telling me season 2 isn't expected until 2026. Fuck my life.

This is where we're at, people; good television is as stressful as the work-a-day life we used to use it to escape from.
Welp, finished all 8 episodes of 3 Body Problem... Now what?

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Hahah...
Well as with Shogun I decided to go all-in on 3 Body Problem. Meaning I ordered a paperback copy of the book which I will read after the current book I'm reading, then I'll see if I can get my hands on the Chinese version of the TV show because I'm one of those insufferable people who tends to assume original versions of things are superior, all before I bother with the Netflix series.

I am actually fun at parties I swear.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I couldn't understand why the aliens
destroy a heck of a lot of stuff, ships, buildings, human beings being shredded at will. And yet they launch a ship and the aliens don't interfere. Maybe they knew the ship would fail, but why would the human even think the aliens would let any of them live to do any of this after the previous display of total power?

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I couldn't understand why the aliens
destroy a heck of a lot of stuff, ships, buildings, human beings being shredded at will. And yet they launch a ship and the aliens don't interfere. Maybe they knew the ship would fail, but why would the human even think the aliens would let any of them live to do any of this after the previous display of total power?
Are you talking about the third book
when the only FTL equipped ship gets away from the spread of 2D space?

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Hahah...
Well as with Shogun I decided to go all-in on 3 Body Problem. Meaning I ordered a paperback copy of the book which I will read after the current book I'm reading, then I'll see if I can get my hands on the Chinese version of the TV show because I'm one of those insufferable people who tends to assume original versions of things are superior, all before I bother with the Netflix series.

I am actually fun at parties I swear.
The Chinese version of the show is available on Amazon Prime. It's about 40 episodes if I remember correctly. It's more true to the books, but being a Chinese show they really skip over a lot of the communist revolution stuff which is actually REALLY important to the plot of the first book. I only watched the first 2 episodes though and couldn't get into it.

The Netflix version is much less true to the books. They've made significant changes to most of the characters, who are now British instead of Chinese. This is probably because the Netflix executives thought that people would identify more with a more diverse and European looking cast, and would have less problems remembering which character is which (which may actually be accurate, but it's not like Asian shows such as Squid Games weren't incredibly popular in the US and Europe without being Western-centric).

Having said that, the Netflix version is decently well paced and so far does a good job of visualizing the source material, which I don't think the Chinese version really had the budget to do.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Are you talking about the third book
when the only FTL equipped ship gets away from the spread of 2D space?
S1 E5 Judgement Day the aliens seem pretty all powerful and can just wipe out anything they like.
S1 E8
The humans launch a ship and odds are not good. I think it fails. But why do the humans even think they can get away with this given the power the aliens show in E5?

The Chinese version of the show is available on Amazon Prime. It's about 40 episodes if I remember correctly. It's more true to the books, but being a Chinese show they really skip over a lot of the communist revolution stuff which is actually REALLY important to the plot of the first book. I only watched the first 2 episodes though and couldn't get into it.

The Netflix version is much less true to the books. They've made significant changes to most of the characters, who are now British instead of Chinese. This is probably because the Netflix executives thought that people would identify more with a more diverse and European looking cast, and would have less problems remembering which character is which (which may actually be accurate, but it's not like Asian shows such as Squid Games weren't incredibly popular in the US and Europe without being Western-centric).

Having said that, the Netflix version is decently well paced and so far does a good job of visualizing the source material, which I don't think the Chinese version really had the budget to do.
Uh oh. You may have just occupied a lot of my time...
1713488325464.png

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
S1 E5 Judgement Day the aliens seem pretty all powerful and can just wipe out anything they like.
S1 E8
The humans launch a ship and odds are not good. I think it fails. But why do the humans even think they can get away with this given the power the aliens show in E5?
That's not really a ship, it's a probe, and all it's carrying is a human brain and the cryogenic system keeping it "alive" and frozen. The probe wouldn't be able to do anything to the aliens. The staircase project relies on the aliens actively intercepting the probe, and not only having the technology to revive the brain and create a new body for it, but to also be interested enough to do so. There's no reason for the aliens to destroy the probe, they have hundreds of years to decide whether they are even interested in intercepting it, and if they choose not to then there's nothing it can do to them.

The San-Ti (they're called the Tri-Solarians in the book) aren't all powerful, far from it. There's actually very little that they can affect on Earth.The sophons are subatomic particles that can be anywhere at any particular moment, so they have the potential to be watching and listening to anyone at any time, but not everyone all the time. They can make people see things, they can observe, and they can mess with subatomic experiments by making the sophons collide with other subatomic particles within a particle accelerator. That's how they've been messing with human physics experiments, and they're doing so to prevent humans from making breakthroughs in physics because human technology advances at a much faster rate than their own.

Because the aliens have such a limited capacity to physically manipulate anything on Earth they need human agents to work for them. Given all of the security around the staircase project it's unlikely that any alien sympathizing humans would have been able to interfere with it anyway.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Started The Sympathizer on HBO/Max. From Park Chan-wook, who made Oldboy. It's good!

It's a dark "comedy" set towards the end of the Vietnam war about a mixed race communist spy who has infiltrated the South Vietnamese high command and gets evacuated with them to America as Saigon falls. So far so good. I'd binge this in a heartbeat but we're back to weekly Sunday releases.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
That's not really a ship, it's a probe, and all it's carrying is a human brain and the cryogenic system keeping it "alive" and frozen. The probe wouldn't be able to do anything to the aliens. The staircase project relies on the aliens actively intercepting the probe, and not only having the technology to revive the brain and create a new body for it, but to also be interested enough to do so. There's no reason for the aliens to destroy the probe, they have hundreds of years to decide whether they are even interested in intercepting it, and if they choose not to then there's nothing it can do to them.

The San-Ti (they're called the Tri-Solarians in the book) aren't all powerful, far from it. There's actually very little that they can affect on Earth.The sophons are subatomic particles that can be anywhere at any particular moment, so they have the potential to be watching and listening to anyone at any time, but not everyone all the time. They can make people see things, they can observe, and they can mess with subatomic experiments by making the sophons collide with other subatomic particles within a particle accelerator. That's how they've been messing with human physics experiments, and they're doing so to prevent humans from making breakthroughs in physics because human technology advances at a much faster rate than their own.

Because the aliens have such a limited capacity to physically manipulate anything on Earth they need human agents to work for them. Given all of the security around the staircase project it's unlikely that any alien sympathizing humans would have been able to interfere with it anyway.
Hm, maybe i should watch the show. I read the first two books a few years back. And... well, didn't really like it (Didn't get the third). I loved the concepts, and surrounding theories. Pretty much everything which is told the protagonists or happens in the background.... But the main story didn't feel right. I mean, i don't even remember the first books protagonists name. (The second on was more fun, since he actually had an arc... and was a weirdo). Ah, and Ye Wenje (?) was interesting. Just the focus was strange. Here is our point of view guy: he works on something and has a family. That's all i know from him. Does he even talk to his wife? Can't remember.

Ah well. But it sounds the series gets to the future stuff pretty fast? All three books in a season?

Hm, how are the visuals and such. The scene where the Trisolans "build" the Sophons was pretty epic in the book. With some cosmic horror thrown in. Do we get that for example?

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Tokyo Vice season 2

Basically what was discussed above- it ends the show competently enough and I'm glad I was reminded of the second season both here and by mother, a big fan of the show. It is, indeed, just more of the first season, but a bit better because of endings. I'm really into endings these days.

Sugar episodes 1 and 2 so far

This AppleTV+ starring Collin Farrell is like a noir, but it's also a meta-noir? Farrell goes around in a suit being all super cool and awesome and amazing while narrating stuff and also has some crazy illness. The show also reference old movies both by dialogue and actually flashes moments from classic noir films. The main character's name is actually John Sugar, lol, and his client is a big time director.

I honestly can't tell if this show is supposed to be serious, or ironic, or what. Sometimes it's like The Big Lebowski but without any of the jokes or likable characters.

Frankly I'm just watching for Farrell, he's become my favorite actor and I'll pretty much watch anything with him. The episodes air weekly and are short. Is it actually good? Man... I dunno.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Sugar episodes 1 and 2 so far

This AppleTV+ starring Collin Farrell is like a noir, but it's also a meta-noir? Farrell goes around in a suit being all super cool and awesome and amazing while narrating stuff and also has some crazy illness. The show also reference old movies both by dialogue and actually flashes moments from classic noir films. The main character's name is actually John Sugar, lol, and his client is a big time director.

I honestly can't tell if this show is supposed to be serious, or ironic, or what. Sometimes it's like The Big Lebowski but without any of the jokes or likable characters.

Frankly I'm just watching for Farrell, he's become my favorite actor and I'll pretty much watch anything with him. The episodes air weekly and are short. Is it actually good? Man... I dunno.
Colin Farrell usually delivers, I will check this out.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Hm, maybe i should watch the show. I read the first two books a few years back. And... well, didn't really like it (Didn't get the third). I loved the concepts, and surrounding theories. Pretty much everything which is told the protagonists or happens in the background.... But the main story didn't feel right. I mean, i don't even remember the first books protagonists name. (The second on was more fun, since he actually had an arc... and was a weirdo). Ah, and Ye Wenje (?) was interesting. Just the focus was strange. Here is our point of view guy: he works on something and has a family. That's all i know from him. Does he even talk to his wife? Can't remember.

Ah well. But it sounds the series gets to the future stuff pretty fast? All three books in a season?

Hm, how are the visuals and such. The scene where the Trisolans "build" the Sophons was pretty epic in the book. With some cosmic horror thrown in. Do we get that for example?
So the Netflix show doesn't get to the future stuff in season 1. Season 1 essentially ends with cryogenic freezing becoming a reality and
Thomas Wade (a character from book 3) explaining that he plans to oversee the planning for the war against the tri-solarians by freezing himself and getting unfrozen for a week every year to manage the project.

Just for your reference, book 3 starts in the present and there's several characters in the show that you wouldn't recognize from the books if you've only read books 1 and 2. One of my biggest problems with the Netflix show is that all of the characters know each other and are all old friends from college, rather than being separate individuals who just happen to cross paths the way they were in the books.

Also book 2 was my favorite of the 3 books, and I agree that Lou Ji was the most compelling character in the series for me (in the Netflix series he's named Saul Durand and played by Jovan Adepo).

They actually do show the building of the Sophon in the Netflix show, and how it unfolds to engulf the planet, and it's pretty cool visually, but there's none of the cosmic horror elements with them struggling to control the process.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Just for your reference, book 3 starts in the present and there's several characters in the show that you wouldn't recognize from the books if you've only read books 1 and 2. One of my biggest problems with the Netflix show is that all of the characters know each other and are all old friends from college, rather than being separate individuals who just happen to cross paths the way they were in the books.
Maybe. It potentially makes for a TV show significantly more appealing to a general audience. What works in a book doesn't necessarily work in a film / TV show, and the sorts of expectations and tolerances of SF readers are not necessarily the same as the wider public.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Curb, final (really?) season

This season was kind of a mixed bag, but above average overall for the show. There is always a running plot each season, and this time it’s Larry being on the hook for a seemingly innocent “Good Samaritan” type of political crime. The episodes that don’t really focus on it much though are the best, IMHO. I’d say overall episodes 2, 4, and 6_9 were the strongest. The finale has its moments, and I like how it tied Larry’s previous shenanigans into it, but eh…it was just kinda ok in the end. Mileage may vary though.

On the whole this is one of the best comedic series in television. I’ve seen parts of Seinfeld here and there, but it would seem Larry thought he could do better without the constraints of the scripted sitcom format with a dreaded laugh track, and he did.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Three Body, episodes 1-3

As I may have posted about before, the Netflix series inspired me to read the book and check out the Chinese version of the show first. Well I read the book and while it certainly presents some interesting mind-f*** situations and ideas I didn't really love it as a narrative. tbf it is hard to balance hard-sci high-concept with characterization and I'd rather an author go for something big than not and Liu Cixin does, succeeding more on the sci-fi so I would strongly recommend the book.

The Chinese show has like 30 episodes, and it's a very weighty serious show with long visual montages to bring forth ideas that really do benefit from the written word. So it's a serious time commitment and after three episodes I'm kinda bored... mostly I think because it is building on the mystery and suspense but of course I already know why things are happening. So I think I would absolutely enjoy the show if I had not read the book.

So I'm recommending the Chinese show OR the book but the book more, making the show redundant I guess.
I will check out the English-language version since it's only 8 episodes and I'm curious to see how they ruined.... er, adapted... it

Fallout episodes 1-4 (so far)

Just a fun show with lots of gross stuff and Walton Coggins. Of course I like it lol

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Curb, final (really?) season

This season was kind of a mixed bag, but above average overall for the show. There is always a running plot each season, and this time it’s Larry being on the hook for a seemingly innocent “Good Samaritan” type of political crime. The episodes that don’t really focus on it much though are the best, IMHO. I’d say overall episodes 2, 4, and 6_9 were the strongest. The finale has its moments, and I like how it tied Larry’s previous shenanigans into it, but eh…it was just kinda ok in the end. Mileage may vary though.

On the whole this is one of the best comedic series in television. I’ve seen parts of Seinfeld here and there, but it would seem Larry thought he could do better without the constraints of the scripted sitcom format with a dreaded laugh track, and he did.
Yeah, most of Curb is hit or miss and same with this last season. I think my favorite episode was the lawn jockey one, him trying to buy a replacement was the funniest bit of the season. I was kinda disappointed they did a whole Seinfeld retread for the finale just for like one OK joke at the end basically.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Sherlock Holmes - 10/10

This is the Grenada Television series that starred Jeremy Brett as Holmes and David Burke (later Edward Hardwicke) as Watson. Now by and large this is some of the best serialised Sherlock Holmes you're ever going to see. Jeremy Brett lives rent free in the head of many fans as the definitive performance of the great detective and I'll be honest, I see why. He's got that manic aloofness down pat but there's also a strong streak of humanity in him, even if its one Holmes doesn't fully appreciate himself aside from his obvious and genuine love for Watson. Even his more socially oblivious moments with Watson are just Holmes' eccentricity and never seem malicious.

Each episode runs a brisk pace, and each story is good fun to watch unfold. Burke is also credited as the Watson who helped bring the character back to his roots as an intelligent, capable man of action - as you'd expect an ex-military surgeon to be. Of the two men, Burke has the better build and physical presence for such a role but Hardwicke still has good bearing so it all works out. They're not quite the devilish handsome and physical powerhouse that is Jude Law, but considering what had come before, both were amazing.

Now I do have complaints; the fight scene staging is just, godawful. Like they were wise to not show in any detail the final confrontation between Holmes and Moriarty because what snippets we did see were some of the most laughable shit I've ever seen. Now to the major villain: the actor playing Moriarty is entirely lacking in physical threat; looking to be at least ten years Brett's senior. An accomplished martial artist like Holmes should have been able to take him apart with ease. Also, his scheme is rather asinine and not worthy of a man described by Holmes as 'The Napoleon of Crime' since it amounts to a foiled theft of gold and selling knock offs of the Mona Lisa. Say what you will of the Guy Ritchie films action movie approach to the property, basically starting World War 1 and cornering the market on arms and material is a scheme worthy of the appellation, to say nothing of the fine physical duel between them both.

But, set that aside, and this show is supremely worth the watch. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Last edited: